(Topic ID: 213235)

This is INSANE: Homebrew Pin design is one thing, but a waterslide?

By c508

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 10.34.01 AM (resized).png
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_2283 (resized).JPG
verruckt (resized).jpg
tp (resized).jpg
2018-03-21_indictment__miles_swkc__filed_redacted.pdf (PDF preview)
Verruckt (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

lol
Yeah, no, it's a f'ed up situation no matter who it was. Wasn't aware of the free day thing, so thanks for explaining!

Its horrific what the boy went though and his little brother who watched it happen, but I can't give the father a pass.

The thing about the boys father was that he was an outspoken opponent of government regulations and ridiculously large legal jury awards against private business. His voting record went along with the rest of the majority party voted into office. Kansas (like Texas) is known for being very business friendly and consumer unfriendly. This is why there was little government oversight to inspect these rides and check the designers credentials. He certainly didn't care for anyone else's children until it happened to his. Still, I remember reading at the time, he said it was gods plan and that his son was with Jesus now. According to that logic, I can't see how the theme park is responsible. He should sue Jesus.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I know I made a huge block of text above that most people won't read, but... I guess here's another with new stats...
No. There isn't government oversight because if you are in this business, business friendly = safe. There is not a world where people flying off a slide and dying makes more people come to their park, or where there is any benefit to a slide that may kill people.
The park should be responsible for checking the designers credentials. In this case, the person who was running the park thought they knew better and decided to do something on their own. No one in the company had the nerve to stop them at any point and say it was stupid. The lawsuit is $20mil+ paid out, the ride was bought and will be taken out and trashed, and I guarantee their attendance dropped last year by at least 20% and will be the same or worse this year.
For a park that brought in 560,000 people at $55 for their max priced ticket in 2016. If we assume they had discounts and season passes and whatnot, a revenue base of $20 million for the year is reasonable. So they lost all that revenue for a year and more.
Water parks are *extremely* labor intensive ventures too. It's not like that is mostly profit. Additionally, they don't sell tons of stuff inside. The whole swim suits don't easily allow you to carry a wallet thing is tough. So, I guarantee that is a huge cut into their proceeds.
If attendance drops 20% per year (which if I were them, that would be a great scenario), that is a decrease in revenue (using the $20 mil estimate) of $4 million per year. And, that decrease probably sticks around for more like 5 years than 2.
Add this all up, and they are losing minimally $20 million (settlement) + $8 million (attendance decrease 2017 / 18) + $2 million (estimate to make the ride) = $30 million dollars.
There is NO scenario where a single ride would ever make up a $30 million revenue shortfall in one year in a park that only makes $30 million a year.
The risk / reward of building a dangerous ride like this is absurd. The head guy decided he needed it to get on the news and get publicity. He thought he could make it safe. And he could have with better design or a more boring ride, but he decided not to.
In the parks I worked for, we had checks and balances, and you would have been demoted or fired for even suggesting such a stupid thing. Apparently they had no checks on him, and now the company will pay the price that is much higher than keeping people safe to begin with.
And, to be clear, it sucks that what happened did, but no federal or state guy who checks on farm equipment all day or who inspects factories for worker safety would have known how to design that slide either. The guy who runs that park would have been in regular contact with people who could have, all of whom I'm positive told him he was insane and they refused. Hell, even their insurance guy thought it was fine.

What the heck is your point exactly? That government oversight is not necessary because building an unsafe ride is not profitable? And government regulatory bodies are filled with complete idiots who don't know how things work? And therefore waterparks should be allowed to self regulate?

Sounds good in theory, and yet here we are.

#60 6 years ago

The fact that they didn't employ a licensed engineer would be criminal with intent.

1 week later
#110 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This doesn't give them a pass on going to far and the kid getting hurt but I don't think you are giving them enough credit for the creative minds they really have.

Yeah, so a kid got hurt, big deal. No reason for anyone to lose their heads over.
And these guys really need to be commended on their creativity. When designing these rides, it's all about the creativity. Engineers are always a buzzkill. They're no fun at all. These guys are the JPOP of ride designers and deserve our respect.
I mean, their use of that cool netting with the metal hoops as a safety precaution in case the ride or someone in it flew out was very creative. What could possibly go wrong with a person hitting a metal bar at 50 miles per hour?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-insane-homebrew-pin-design-is-one-thing-but-a-waterslide?tu=vicjw66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.