(Topic ID: 213235)

This is INSANE: Homebrew Pin design is one thing, but a waterslide?

By c508

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 10.34.01 AM (resized).png
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_2283 (resized).JPG
verruckt (resized).jpg
tp (resized).jpg
2018-03-21_indictment__miles_swkc__filed_redacted.pdf (PDF preview)
Verruckt (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RCA1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago

Wow.
Read that whole thing.
The details are astonishing.
It's a continual WTF all the way through.
Velcro seatbelts?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

and (excuse the stereotype) setup and run by fringe members of society.

You mean Carny-Freaks? That's what we called them anyway.
The rule was always to keep your bicycles and other stuff out of sight while they were in town, or things would disappear.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Sounds good in theory, and yet here we are.

One death. I doubt that more strict federal oversight would reduce this to zero.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

You didn't mess with safety. They did. This ride has several serious accidents associated with it. They clearly didn't care about potential profit loss or safety. They were concerned about what was happening to the park right then and their ability to say they made this ride. To argue that we don't need regulation because companies care about not losing profit completely fails in this case because they clearly did not care. Safety was not a concern to them.

Exactly. That's why this case is such a shocking aberration. What they did was completely against their own self interest.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The fact that they didn't employ a licensed engineer would be criminal with intent.

Maybe / Maybe Not. There are lots of things that do not require design by a licensed Professional Engineer. Varies from state to state.
(Disclaimer: I am a PE, and do not know about amusement ride design licensing requirements, even in my own State. If asked to design one, I would decline, as that would clearly be out of my area of professional competence. It would be cool as hell though.)

The fact that they themselves knew nothing and did the design is definitely a problem. Lots of non-licensed people capable of doing good design on lots of things. This case was not an example of that.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Yes, and they are permitted to conduct their own accident investigations, as well. By all accounts, Kansas is on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of water park regulation, which is why this thing could be designed, built, permitted, and operated by some bros with no engineering experience. Is your point that this is okay because Virginia's laws are also lax, or am I misinterpreting something?

Not to speak for anyone else, but I think his point was that most states with similar regulations do not have incidents this stupidly dangerous.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

He would have been as much of an expert if not more than anyone in the state

That's my biggest issue with government oversight/inspection. It assumes that the "government", (whoever that individual is in any particular case) knows what the hell they are doing. That is too often not the case.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

but in this case they didn't, and a kid died. Schlitterbahn will certainly lose a lot of money and some dudes might possibly go to jail, but i'm reluctant to declare "the system worked!" when a kid (who wasn't breaking park rules) was decapitated.

No argument that the system did not work. In an absolutely horrible, tragic way.
I'm just not convinced that more government would prevent it.

#90 6 years ago

Waterslide design is hard..............

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RCA1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-insane-homebrew-pin-design-is-one-thing-but-a-waterslide?tu=RCA1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.