image-859.jpg
image-230.jpg
image-735.jpg
image-345.jpg
image-636.jpg
image-366.jpg
trip.jpg
ft.jpg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Cleanroom:

Dedication. Have to disagree on playfield rating. The most significant wear area you will find on a Fishtales will be on the return lanes below the ramp returns. You game is pristine. 9.9 Rating; 10 is NOS. Congrats on your treasure. We'll deserved!!!

He was right with 9.8.

9.9 is NOS (they were rarely perfect out of the box)
Perfect 10 is fully restored and clearcoated

#52 9 years ago

Well, you have now had your fun with it. Tear it down and get it shopped and CC now.

#53 9 years ago

Thanks a lot guys for the kind words and input. And oh yeah, definitely ordered the new boat ramp decal right away. Also, my wife doesn't really like the game right now (go figure) because she says it's too difficult. I'm debating on swapping out the lightning flippers for standards. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Oh well, still fun regardless.

#54 9 years ago

I'm finishing shopping my FT right now, and I'm replacing the standard flippers that are on it with lightnings, just for the challenge of it (at least for a while). FT is plenty brutal equipped with regular flippers, so who knows how I'm gonna like it. I'll keep the standard flippers in the bottom of the cabinet just in case.

#55 9 years ago

Wow, Rocko, you and I both made MASSIVE drives over the weekend. I drove from Melbourne, FL to Dayton, OH - 1020 miles - in 16 hours. I totally and completely 100% understand your enthusiasm and pain/recovery. I was starting to see imaginary friends the last half hour of my drive.

Congrats on your FT!!!! Man, that is some serious dedication.

#56 9 years ago

That's one heck of a find. The ball drop areas and the shooter lane look fantastic! Congrats!

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Wow, Rocko, you and I both made MASSIVE drives over the weekend. I drove from Melbourne, FL to Dayton, OH - 1020 miles - in 16 hours. I totally and completely 100% understand your enthusiasm and pain/recovery. I was starting to see imaginary friends the last half hour of my drive.
Congrats on your FT!!!! Man, that is some serious dedication.

What did ya get?

#58 9 years ago

Gone fishin'......Leave a message!

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What did ya get?

My DeLorean back with a turbocharged VR6 engine installed, Eibach lowering springs, Spax performance adjustable shocks, Megasquirt 3.0 EFI, and Wilwood brake setup. Went in Nov 2013 and drove it home on Sunday.

All work listed was done at SEO Motorsports.

Boy, was it worth the money.

Home_1.jpgHome_1.jpg

Finished_1.jpgFinished_1.jpg

#60 9 years ago

Oh. My. God. I want a DeLorean one day. That is so freaking awesome. Congrats man!

#61 9 years ago

Two drives from Denver to Hutchinson, KS for two seperate games.
One round trip from Denver to LA for another deck.
My Subaru wagon is a trooper.
Trucker meth is the best!

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I'm debating on swapping out the lightning flippers for standards

If you are going to change the bats, you should go with green bats and get yellow Super Bands. It will match the fish's mouth better IMO. If you are wanting to stay with the lightning flippers, you can get them in green from Europe http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=green+flipper&x=0&y=0&search_in_description=1

#63 9 years ago

sheesh I would love a fish tales, but would hate that thing after 1,200 miles of driving

#64 9 years ago

I love the dedication!!

Last year, a friend and I flew to Chicago, rented a U-Haul, and drove back to NC - for Police Force. He had a serious "thing" for that game. Of course, we find out when we get there, that the game is in a 3rd story converted attic/gameroom (complete with non-code narrow spiral staircase - I have NO idea how he even got it up there) and after 2 hours of nearly killing ourselves trying to get it down 3 flights of narrow stairs, we finally got it loaded in the U-Haul... only to have the truck refuse to start. Awesome!!

Next day, we get the truck swapped out, and end up with one that had a bad ECU!! At this point, the truck is loaded (with the pin and several personal belongings as he was relocating to NC) and we discover the problem as we're lurching and stuttering down Lake Shore Drive, in rush hour, with a Screw-Haul truck that won't go more than 45 mph and is bucking and lurching like a mechanical bull!! Now, keep in mind that this is the 4th of July. No service centers are open, we're pretty much stuck with this POS truck, so we decided to at least try to make the trip...

I kid you not - 2 1/2 days later, we finally make it to NC. It was brutal and we had serious doubts as to whether the truck was even going to make it thru WV. 15-20 mph the whole way thru the Blue Ridge. Nauseous, back aching and head throbbing from getting tossed around like popcorn inside a hot air popper. Fortunately, we took video of the ordeal and sent it to to VP of Customer Relations. Not only was the truck, gas, food and hotels, paid for by Screw-Haul, he even got his $1000 back for paying the movers. Which essentially, made the pinball machine FREE!

However, I would gladly kick out $1k to not go thru that ordeal EVER again. In the end, we got the pin, and it was practically free. So it was worth it, I guess... but wow man, that was one hell of a road trip! :O

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

My DeLorean back with a turbocharged VR6 engine installed, Eibach lowering springs, Spax performance adjustable shocks, Megasquirt 3.0 EFI, and Wilwood brake setup. Went in Nov 2013 and drove it home on Sunday.

Home_1.jpg 76 KB

Finished_1.jpg 66 KB

looks a lot different than mine did. Is this one of the new ones?

#66 9 years ago

No, this is a custom job done by SEO Motorsports. This is NOT the original engine.

#67 9 years ago

nice. bet its' a lot faster than original. Wish mine would have been turbo. Would have gotten better gas mileage.

#68 9 years ago

Monkey grass, holy shit. That sounds like a nightmare.

Also, driving 1200 miles for fish tales makes me like it even more hehe.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from MonkeyGrass:

I love the dedication!!
Last year, a friend and I flew to Chicago, rented a U-Haul, and drove back to NC - for Police Force. He had a serious "thing" for that game. Of course, we find out when we get there, that the game is in a 3rd story converted attic/gameroom (complete with non-code narrow spiral staircase - I have NO idea how he even got it up there) and after 2 hours of nearly killing ourselves trying to get it down 3 flights of narrow stairs, we finally got it loaded in the U-Haul... only to have the truck refuse to start. Awesome!!
Next day, we get the truck swapped out, and end up with one that had a bad ECU!! At this point, the truck is loaded (with the pin and several personal belongings as he was relocating to NC) and we discover the problem as we're lurching and stuttering down Lake Shore Drive, in rush hour, with a Screw-Haul truck that won't go more than 45 mph and is bucking and lurching like a mechanical bull!! Now, keep in mind that this is the 4th of July. No service centers are open, we're pretty much stuck with this POS truck, so we decided to at least try to make the trip...
I kid you not - 2 1/2 days later, we finally make it to NC. It was brutal and we had serious doubts as to whether the truck was even going to make it thru WV. 15-20 mph the whole way thru the Blue Ridge. Nauseous, back aching and head throbbing from getting tossed around like popcorn inside a hot air popper. Fortunately, we took video of the ordeal and sent it to to VP of Customer Relations. Not only was the truck, gas, food and hotels, paid for by Screw-Haul, he even got his $1000 back for paying the movers. Which essentially, made the pinball machine FREE!
However, I would gladly kick out $1k to not go thru that ordeal EVER again. In the end, we got the pin, and it was practically free. So it was worth it, I guess... but wow man, that was one hell of a road trip! :O

I'll say that was some trip. Good one to laugh about 20 years from now when you two get together.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Crazy - yes
How is this for crazy - I drove 1500 miles over 2 days to pick up a pin. It was not as described. I drove home with nothing but bills. NEVER AGAIN!

Did something similar for a FT before I got mine now. Not quite the 1500 miles, but 500 and an entire day wasted because the seller was an idiot... I was in and out in 10 min, nearly punched the guy I was so pissed.

Congrats to the OP for getting this one, it's in fantastic shape. Great playing game all around.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Home_1.jpg 76 KB

Finished_1.jpg 66 KB

Lookin good. I sat in the Back to the Future DeLorean on the Bonneville Salt flats when the current owner drove it out there.... not to race.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from ranchdrsn:

Did something similar for a FT before I got mine now. Not quite the 1500 miles, but 500 and an entire day wasted because the seller was an idiot... I was in and out in 10 min, nearly punched the guy I was so pissed.

Ohhhh....I've never had that happen before.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ohhhh....I've never had that happen before.

Ya, was described as shopped and I expressed I only wanted one in nice shape as I was a collector. He said it's a collectors game and played great. Nope..rubbers never changed and cabinet unstable... Not a fun experence.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'll say that was some trip. Good one to laugh about 20 years from now when you two get together.

One of many! The road trips me and my buddy Jeff have taken are legendary...

We laugh about that one NOW. While playing Police Force!

It became a whole lot more fun once Screw-Haul kicked out the check and paid for everything, including the pin.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nice. bet its' a lot faster than original. Wish mine would have been turbo.

It only needs to get up to 88mph.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

It only needs to get up to 88mph.

But the spedometer pegs at 80 on them! Just have to guess over that!

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from ranchdrsn:

But the spedometer pegs at 80 on them! Just have to guess over that!

Thank the government regulations for that. ALL cars had 85 max speedometers back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law#Speedometers

Thankfully, Doc saw past this and added the digital speedometer.

Back-To-The-Future-Time-Machine-Speedometer-2.jpgBack-To-The-Future-Time-Machine-Speedometer-2.jpg

speedometer.jpgspeedometer.jpg
#78 9 years ago

It cost like $20 an hour to drive a car for gas and wear and tear. And then you have what your time is worth. You are out, $400+ dollars just to get there and back. Yeah, that would be a nice road trip but unless you were paying a sick premium for a mint game and won't take anything less than mint, I don't know how it really works moneywise. If I was going on a road trip with my brother, it would probably be a blast even if we never picked up the pin but for me to drive that alone for not a sure thing, I kind of doubt I would. I am glad you love the game and I think it is an awesome game too but if you can put up with the drive more power to you.

#79 9 years ago

Dang I thought my 600 mile drive was bad lol nice game bud

#80 9 years ago

you know for the movie, the speedometer says up to 95. Which they custom made for the movie. Most of the time the speedometers broke anyway, so you you really didn't know how fast you were going except by the RPM gauge. That screwed me one time, when I came up on a 15 MPH curve and thought I was in 3rd gear and I was in 5th. Flew right off the curve into the corn field. Then my foot slipped off the break and onto the gas and jumped back over the road and into the field on the other side of the road. Was quite the experience. Car was unharmed.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Thank the government regulations for that. ALL cars had 85 max speedometers back then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law#Speedometers
Thankfully, Doc saw past this and added the digital speedometer.

speedometer.jpg 6 KB

Back-To-The-Future-Time-Machine-... 20 KB

Ya, I knew it was less than the 88. Now that you say it I do remember the 85 limit on all. Don't forget the bomb he traded was made with used pinball machine parts!

#82 9 years ago

This thread took an awesomely interesting turn.

I have to say, I really like Fish Tales a lot. I'm kinda surprised it's so underrated / undervalued. It's as solid as some of the best pins out there IMO. Not just saying that because I own one now either. It's just a good, fun game.

#83 9 years ago

And I thought it was overrated. Only reason a lot of people try to give it a second chance is because it says Bally/williams on the backglass. If DE made it, it would have been mocked and you could buy them for $700.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And I thought it was overrated. Only reason a lot of people try to give it a second chance is because it says Bally/williams on the backglass. If DE made it, it would have been mocked and you could buy them for $700.

Or maybe it's a solid game. Yup, just checked... yes it is.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from TunaSled:

Or maybe it's a solid game. Yup, just checked... yes it is.

I just went downstairs with my new colordmd for FT and double checked as well.....by golly , it IS a great game

#86 9 years ago

I just got back from a 700 mile drive to get a FT's (could have been 1400). I'm going to highlight my trip in it, but short story is that I got tired of the high prices in AZ (there were crappy FT's selling for 3500-4500) so I did some searching on CL in a certain radius. I found a guy selling one in Utah for under 2K 100% working, no cabinet fade, no broken plastics and a pretty good playfield (out of the few I have actually seen in AZ mine is the best looking). Thanks to this thread, I pulled the trigger!

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It is almost like this "hating on fish tales" has become part of you.

I wish I could have snapped a picture of you playing my beautiful example and grinning from ear to ear

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It is almost like this "hating on Fish Tales" has become part of you.
I wish I could have snapped a picture of you playing my beautiful example and grinning from ear to ear

That's cuz when your saying anything with the letter S in it. It makes you smile when your pronouncing something like...... "this game SuckS So Bad".

The game isn't horrible. I wouldn't want one, but it's still better than Xfiles or SF2. I just mainly give you shit about it because I know it's your favorite. So I go out of my way to say something when I know your around or going to read my post.

#89 9 years ago

Used to think nothing of 1000 mile trip in a day for a pin but those days are gone, 500 mile round trip is my limit now!

#90 9 years ago

Wow that is dedication to a machine. I am too lazy to ever do a road trip like that. I would have contacted a shipping company and then days later sat around on my lazy butt drinking a beer waiting for the truck to arrive. In your case the pursuit was a big part of getting the treasure. Good luck with the new FT and hope that you enjoy it for years to come.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

I just got back from a 700 mile drive to get a FT's (could have been 1400). I'm going to highlight my trip in it, but short story is that I got tired of the high prices in AZ (there were crappy FT's selling for 3500-4500) so I did some searching on CL in a certain radius. I found a guy selling one in Utah for under 2K 100% working, no cabinet fade, no broken plastics and a pretty good playfield (out of the few I have actually seen in AZ mine is the best looking). Thanks to this thread, I pulled the trigger!

Wow congrats man!

Soooo how do you like it so far? LEDs rock in this game.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Wow congrats man!
Soooo how do you like it so far? LEDs rock in this game.

It is the first pin that my family has gotten into, they are playing it all the time. I love the layout and flow, but feel that the goals are a little shallow for my liking. It's a great pin to show to friends though. For the price and trip, it was well worth it.

#93 9 years ago

question: if so far why not just have it shipped? time is money and gas and food adds up.
opportunity cost.. 5 hours one way was my max but it was a 15k game..

also if you need a nos boat ramp or other parts lmk. got all kinds of ft parts. NOS and used.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Even my 1980 suzuki 1100 had an 80 mph speedometer on it. I recall going that fast in first gear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 169.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,500 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-how-you-know-you-love-pinball-just-drove-1235-miles-in-one-day/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.