image-859.jpg
image-230.jpg
image-735.jpg
image-345.jpg
image-636.jpg
image-366.jpg
trip.jpg
ft.jpg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I must be insane. I just got back from a one day 1,235 mile journey all by my lonesome. The hunt for Fish Tales is over! I'm really stoked, got an amazing deal on this machine. It sat in storage from 1998-2006 and then it was moved to a vacation home and probably saw less than 100 plays over the next 8 years. Cabinet is 9/10, Playfield is (edited), a 9.8/10. The insides are extremely clean and the game plays flawlessly. I know some of you will probably want to know how much I paid for it, but it's my little secret hehe. I worked hard to get this deal to happen, and it was a now or never type situation. I jumped on it immediately.

This is just a little bit of proof that if you bust your butt hard enough, you can still find amazing deals. They are definitely out there. I am extremely happy to finally have this game in my collection. Perfect timing for the Color DMD too. Woo hoo! Tomorrow I will probably grab some shots of the playfield. I was really shocked when I saw how nice it looked in person. Definitely justified my driving efforts. I should have stayed at a motel but I was all hopped up on caffeine, combos and some chocolate lol. If I started to nod off I definitely would have pulled over to a rest stop or motel though. I used to drive a sweeper truck third shift for 5 years for a living, so it's kind of in my blood I guess. It is officially time for bed. I've never driven this far in my life by myself in one go around. I'm definitely crazy lol. It's worth it though for the love of pinball IMO.

You will be unwrapped tomorrow. Oh yes, you will be unwrapped.

trip.jpgtrip.jpg

ft.jpgft.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Probably only one game I would do that for. I just sold my RV....it is old and I was lucky to sell it at all. Catch was I had to drive it 725 miles and then come right back! So, I beat you by a bit. I took no breaks...just spent two hours showing the buyer how to use it. Judging by the beautiful cabinet colors, I would say you got a real beauty there! And a great story to boot. Congratulations....glad it wasn't a Craigs List deal where he sold it out from under you for $100!

#3 9 years ago

Congrats on your find! Its a great game and I love the story behind them.

#4 9 years ago

Nice score. Congrats!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I'm definitely crazy lol

Yes, yes you are. A little bit. Glad you are happy crazy though instead of mad crazy!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

Probably only one game I would do that for. I just sold my RV....it is old and I was lucky to sell it at all. Catch was I had to drive it 725 miles and then come right back! So, I beat you by a bit. I took no breaks...just spent two hours showing the buyer how to use it. Judging by the beautiful cabinet colors, I would say you got a real beauty there! And a great story to boot. Congratulations....glad it wasn't a Craigs List deal where he sold it out from under you for $100!

Damn you got me beat yep hehe. I feel that pain though. I don't know if I would be up for it again. As soon as I post this it's lights out for me. I'm so out of it.

Thanks guys. I will deliver some playfield shots tomorrow. And yep, I always like interesting stories behind machines like these.

#8 9 years ago

Some of my fondest pinball memories are the road trips.

#9 9 years ago

crazy but if you are happy it's the only worth who counts!

#10 9 years ago

Nice work, that's some serious miles

#11 9 years ago

Congrats I love the pinball road trip.

#12 9 years ago

fish on!

#13 9 years ago

Wow, that is a serious one day drive. Congrats on the score. You could have driven to Denver from Michigan in that many miles.

Parker

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I must be insane. I just got back from a one day 1,235 mile journey all by my lonesome. The hunt for Fish Tales is over! I'm really stoked, got an amazing deal on this machine. It sat in storage from 1998-2006 and then it was moved to a vacation home and probably saw less than 100 plays over the next 8 years. Cabinet is a 9/10, Playfield is an easy 10/10. The insides are extremely clean and the game plays flawlessly. I know some of you will probably want to know how much I paid for it, but it's my little secret hehe. I worked hard to get this deal to happen, and it was a now or never type situation. I jumped on it immediately.
This is just a little bit of proof that if you bust your butt hard enough, you can still find amazing deals. They are definitely out there. I am extremely happy to finally have this game in my collection. Perfect timing for the Color DMD too. Woo hoo! Tomorrow I will probably grab some shots of the playfield. I was really shocked when I saw how nice it looked in person. Definitely justified my driving efforts. I should have stayed at a motel but I was all hopped up on caffeine, combos and some chocolate lol. If I started to nod off I definitely would have pulled over to a rest stop or motel though. I used to drive a sweeper truck third shift for 5 years for a living, so it's kind of in my blood I guess. It is officially time for bed. I've never driven this far in my life by myself in one go around. I'm definitely crazy lol. It's worth it though for the love of pinball IMO.

ft.jpg 119 KB

trip.jpg 10 KB

Crazy - yes

How is this for crazy - I drove 1500 miles over 2 days to pick up a pin. It was not as described. I drove home with nothing but bills. NEVER AGAIN!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Crazy - yes
How is this for crazy - I drove 1500 miles over 2 days to pick up a pin. It was not as described. I drove home with nothing but bills. NEVER AGAIN!

OUCH!!!!

#16 9 years ago

congrats.

So where did you fish it from? city/state?

#17 9 years ago

Holy hell Shape. That is brutal! Man I feel bad for you. Honestly I was worried the whole time driving there that it could always be a hunk of poop, but I saw pictures and the guy was extremely nice and honest too. As soon as I saw it I knew the long drive was well worth it.

Snow, picked it up near Utica.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I must be insane. I just got back from a one day 1,235 mile journey all by my lonesome.

Insane? You are lucky to not be dead or have killed anyone. 19 hours of driving in one day is irresponsible and dangerous.

Nice find, though!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Insane? You are lucky to not be dead or have killed anyone. 19 hours of driving in one day is irresponsible and dangerous.
Nice find, though!

Actually, it does sound that way but if you read my original post you'll see that I drove for 5 years for a living. Also, I was NOT tired at all in any way shape or form until the last 45 minutes, but I was still in good shape. Believe me, I was prepared to pull over or sleep at a motel if need be. I was fine though. I think if you start to fall asleep at the wheel at all, then you need to quit driving for at least a couple of hours. Hell I was up for 2 more hours after I got home. I have a lot of experience on the road and I've never been in an accident after 20 years of driving.

#20 9 years ago

Yeah, I guess adrenaline helps! But your reaction time had to have been suffering towards the end.

My wife died in a car wreck so I guess I'm extra sensitive about it.

#21 9 years ago

I'm just curious how you found this pin. You don't need to give us all the details, but was it on craigslist? Did you get a lead on it from a friend? Inquiring minds want to know.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I used to drive a sweeper truck third shift for 5 years for a living, so it's kind of in my blood I guess.

Awesome! I put my self through university driving a sweeper truck every night

I can't be the only OCD guy on here who would have stopped .3 miles earlier to take the picture... right??

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm just curious how you found this pin. You don't need to give us all the details, but was it on craigslist? Did you get a lead on it from a friend? Inquiring minds want to know.

THE FIRST RULE OF FINDCLUB IS YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT FINDCLUB.

#24 9 years ago

A 20+ y.o. Game with a perfect 10/10 playfield?

Congrats on your score.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

I can't be the only OCD guy on here who would have stopped .3 miles earlier to take the picture... right??

LOL! I notice stuff like that too. One of my favorite moments was 11:11:11 on November 11, 2011.

#26 9 years ago

Congrats! Fish tales is a fun original game. To me it's a great example of the creativity in pinball. Are you going to do lightning flippers?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Haha man. I thought about going the other .2 miles but I just wanted to be home! I get OCD about stuff like that too. Sweeper trucks are fun as hell to drive when you don't have to get out to pick up debri by hand. I miss the job but I definitely do not miss my old boss.

Dan, I'm really sorry to hear that. I do consider myself a very careful and responsible driver though. No accidents and no tickets in 20 years. I definitely knew my limits. I actually had already planned on sleeping at a rest stop for an hour or two but my brain and body were totally fine. Thank you Coke and chocolate.

Also, Frax is right lol.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Congrats! Fish Tales is a fun original game. To me it's a great example of the creativity in pinball. Are you going to do lightning flippers?

Thanks again guys. Hell I haven't even looked into any mods yet, but I'm definitely going to do some fun mods and LEDs of course. I love that part of getting a new pin.

#29 9 years ago

well done sir there should be an Iron Man pin trip post for miles driven to get a pin.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

I must be insane. I just got back from a one day 1,235 mile journey all by my lonesome. The hunt for Fish Tales is over! I'm really stoked, got an amazing deal on this machine. It sat in storage from 1998-2006 and then it was moved to a vacation home and probably saw less than 100 plays over the next 8 years. Cabinet is a 9/10, Playfield is an easy 10/10. The insides are extremely clean and the game plays flawlessly. I know some of you will probably want to know how much I paid for it, but it's my little secret hehe. I worked hard to get this deal to happen, and it was a now or never type situation. I jumped on it immediately.

ft.jpg 119 KB

trip.jpg 10 KB

Yup, you got me beat, 900 miles for me but mine worked out better money wise for the trip. I'm a courier and had a delivery to the city where the game I was buying was to be picked up. After the delivery I drove 7 miles, picked up the game from a fellow pinsider and drove home. ALL ON THE BOSSES GAS TAB. And because it was a high paying run my boss gave me a $300 bump on my pay check.

#31 9 years ago

Nice Paul. Nothing like driving on someone else's dime. I did pay about $130 total in gas and toll fees. Still well worth it.

#32 9 years ago

All that hard work now you need to sell it to me.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

All that hard work now you need to sell it to me.

One hundred billion dollars!

image-366.jpgimage-366.jpg
#34 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Holy hell Shape. That is brutal! Man I feel bad for you. Honestly I was worried the whole time driving there that it could always be a hunk of poop, but I saw pictures and the guy was extremely nice and honest too. As soon as I saw it I knew the long drive was well worth it.
Snow, picked it up near Utica.

The thrill or not thrill of the chase!

Nice score though. FT is a brilliant game.

#35 9 years ago

I only had to drive 400 for my FT. Got a good deal on it also. I wish I had known the guy I bought it from used to sell pins and jukeboxes for a living, I would have left with more. When I showed up to his house he had a Jurassic Park, Slugfest, Fish Tales and said his daughters house had more he was trying to get rid of.

Congrats on the new game!

#36 9 years ago

Congrats on the FT, that's some serious dedication!! Post some pics when you get it set up

#37 9 years ago

Congrats and welcome to the casters club~!

#38 9 years ago

I'm sorry, that is very unfortunate. I hope the game was free.

#39 9 years ago

I got a sweet deal on my FT, because it was a good playing beater. Now I have cabinet decals to put on (got a deal there also). I did the cointaker thing (looks sweet). Awesome playing game, now to color dmd it?????
Congrats on your find!

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm sorry, that is very unfortunate. I hope the game was free.

Neo's favorite pin.
Congrats. Mine is a keeper. Great fun, great music, awesome video mode, and now color DMD.

#41 9 years ago

Well worth the journey. After the recover from round trip you will be left with one of the best pins ever made.

#42 9 years ago

Congrats on an Awesome!! pin. Love Fish Tales, will never get rid of it. Color DMD is in the mail. Is it just me or has Fish Tales gotten really popular all of a sudden?

#43 9 years ago

Let's see pictures of it all set up!

#44 9 years ago

I love these kind of stories! Shows just how insanely passionate about this hobby many of us are! Congrats on the new addition!

#45 9 years ago

Congratz man. My buddy has one and he likes it more than Creature for some odd reason. Very frustrating game.

#46 9 years ago

So remember when I said the PF is an easy 10/10? Ok well let me rephrase that. I'm sure this is debatable but I'm gonna have to go with a 9.8/10 hehe. I found a small spot on the boat that has a tad bit of flaking. I can easily touch it up though no problem. Other than that it's looking really nice. The previous owner didn't really know much about maintenance, so I do need to shop it out with some new rubbers and some good ole Novus action. Overall though I'm really pleased with how good it looks and plays after all these years. I'm going to replace the apron soon since there are a few paint issues I'd rather not deal with. Also have a new boat ramp sticker and topper sticker on the way. Might as well. Can anyone please link me to some good insert cards by chance?

image-636.jpgimage-636.jpg
image-345.jpgimage-345.jpg
image-735.jpgimage-735.jpg
image-230.jpgimage-230.jpg
image-859.jpgimage-859.jpg
image-69.jpgimage-69.jpg
image-330.jpgimage-330.jpg
image-953.jpgimage-953.jpg

#47 9 years ago

That is a nice playfield. Have fun.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Can anyone please link me to some good insert cards by chance?

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/instruction/index.htm

Quoted from rockotaco1:

I found a small spot on the boat that has a tad bit of flaking.

ebay.com link: like

Welcome to the club!

#49 9 years ago

Dedication. Have to disagree on playfield rating. The most significant wear area you will find on a Fishtales will be on the return lanes below the ramp returns. You game is pristine. 9.9 Rating; 10 is NOS. Congrats on your treasure. We'll deserved!!!

#50 9 years ago

Awesome condition, long drive but well worth it in the end. Congrats!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 169.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-how-you-know-you-love-pinball-just-drove-1235-miles-in-one-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.