(Topic ID: 318107)

This is going to be a tough Night Rider restore.

By billybasher

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.32.47 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 4.56.49 PM (resized).png
IMG_2272 (resized).JPG
IMG_2265 (resized).JPG
20220627_153943 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Just kidding! Obviously this one is to far gone, but I thought someone might get a kick out of this one as I have never seen a playfield in this bad of condition. It does seem to be complete on the bottom side though.

20220627_153943 (resized).jpg20220627_153943 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

That is a little on the rough side to say the least.

#3 1 year ago

Yeah, there may be 3 screws you could salvage from that. Holy moly!

#4 1 year ago

A true barn find.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

A true barn find.

A true barn find yes, but unfortunately not the one we dream of.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Yeah, there may be 3 screws you could salvage from that. Holy moly!

I could use a bunch of hardware from that.

#7 1 year ago

I understand that Fabulous Fantasies can do miracle work ...

#8 1 year ago

I picked up a nice night rider em with a major problem. The previous owner cut the wiring harness leading from the head to the cabinet. Apparently they didnt realize the plugs existed and didnt know how to get the head off for moving.

Anybody have any good ideas on how to solder the wires back together? Many colors are repeated in the harness so it might be difficult to assure the right pairs of wires get married together. Thoughts or suggestions on how to go about it?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I picked up a nice night rider em with a major problem. The previous owner cut the wiring harness leading from the head to the cabinet. Apparently they didnt realize the plugs existed and didnt know how to get the head off for moving.
Anybody have any good ideas on how to solder the wires back together? Many colors are repeated in the harness so it might be difficult to assure the right pairs of wires get married together. Thoughts or suggestions on how to go about it?

How coincidental. The Night Rider I picked up a few years ago had the same wires cut. I methodically soldered each wire back together with lap splice and heat shrink tubing. When I got done and cable wrapped the bundle back together you couldn't even tell. Some of the wires with same insulation color codes you will have to trace using the schematic to confirm the correct connection. Happy soldering.

IMG_2265 (resized).JPGIMG_2265 (resized).JPGIMG_2272 (resized).JPGIMG_2272 (resized).JPG
#10 1 year ago

How do you trace the wire colors from the harness using the schematic? My schematic shows wire colors on the plugs but doesn't show where they go. For instance, it might show one plug position has wire 18-10 which means there are 10 reuses of the red with black trace wire, but I don't see how to tell where it goes once it leaves the plug. So how can I check continuity for each side of the cut wire?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

How do you trace the wire colors from the harness using the schematic? My schematic shows wire colors on the plugs but doesn't show where they go. For instance, it might show one plug position has wire 18-10 which means there are 10 reuses of the red with black trace wire, but I don't see how to tell where it goes once it leaves the plug. So how can I check continuity for each side of the cut wire?

Follow the schematic and see where the wire goes. Then use your meter to ring it out and confirm.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

In addition to the advice from @fattdirk, you can use the wiring diagram included with the schematics. It shows where a wire begins, where it ends, and the color. As I recall doing my Night Rider, there were only 3 or 4 wires that had duplicate colors I had to trace.

Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 4.56.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-11 at 4.56.49 PM (resized).png
#13 1 year ago

I don't have a wiring diagram with my machine. Only the manual and a schematic. I don't see one on-line at ipdb.org either. Do you have a source for one? Or am I losing my mind?

#14 1 year ago

I just realized the wiring diagram you referenced is for an electronic Night Rider. I have an electromechanical Night Rider. The electronic version does not use the same beau plugs that the em version does. Is the wiring diagram still usable to trace the colors?

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I just realized the wiring diagram you referenced is for an electronic Night Rider. I have an electromechanical Night Rider.

You're good to go. The schematic for the EM has the wire colors on it. You will just need to trace out the wires that aren't an obvious color match where they were cut.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.32.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-12 at 1.32.47 PM (resized).png
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I just realized the wiring diagram you referenced is for an electronic Night Rider. I have an electromechanical Night Rider. The electronic version does not use the same beau plugs that the em version does. Is the wiring diagram still usable to trace the colors?

Looks like Jethro has you on the right track, but I just wanted to mention that typically wires with the same color are common to each other and in theory can be hooked up in many different combinations and work just fine. However, I can think of a couple scenarios where this wouldn't work so I would follow the schematic diagram as mentioned. But if you do accidentally get a couple wires crossed in most cases you will be fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-going-to-be-a-tough-night-rider-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.