(Topic ID: 241149)

This email from an old scammer caught me off guard...

By 27dnast

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Today, a scammer that tried to rip me off more than a year ago re-emerged with an email message that really surprised me. Here’s the back story and the note:

A little over a year ago, I floated an ad for a Big Game. The wanted post here on Pinside got a lot of attention (some of you might remember that thread). But I also put ads out on other channels. Days after I verbally finalized an out of state deal (over 12 hrs from home), I got contacted by someone claiming to have a Big Game for sale, but roughly 6 hours closer in North Carolina. They sent some pictures and the game looked great. Price was better. And they said they would take a PayPal deposit.

Nearly instantly, I noticed the pictures were of different Big Games. The differences were subtle, but once I noticed them, it totally rubbed me the wrong way. Just to confirm my suspicions, I wrote back asking some completely fake tech questions and the seller responded with answers referencing my fake/made up tech terms.

Suspicions confirmed.

Truthfully, I was committed to my agreed sale. But the fact I knew this person had contacted me in order to scam me just pissed me off. I’ve been lied to by sellers 3x in this hobby. In hindsight, Those lies should have been obvious. But, experienced collectors know, they aren’t always obvious. Sometimes trusting someone feels right but ends up with you taking the hit.

Anyhow, I ultimately ended my interaction with the scammer by sending him this snarky email... and honestly, this is something I meant from my heart:

“Look buddy, I’d fuck around with you some more, but’s not worth my time. But I will say this: you need to go take a long look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and right your life.

What you’re doing is flat out wrong. I’m not sure how many people you’ve chosen to contact to orchestrate scams, but it’s not right. I know it and you know it. The problem is, you’re looking to to take advantage of people that work legitimately hard for their own money. People that may not have much - but they’ve saved to buy something that might be special to them, and you’re straight up stealing it.

It’s wrong, brother.

Rather than being some wretched piece of cancer, why don’t you do something positive with your life? Go help people rather than hurt them.

I’m assuming you’re an American... but perhaps you’re using a proxy That places you in the mid-west. I don’t have the time or the patience to investigate... but.... dude... treat people with some respect! Treat your fellow countrymen with respect.

Is this really how you want to conduct yourself? Is this what makes you proud?

I hope not.”

That was sent last February... and I never got a response.... until today. Over one year later, the person that had originally contacted me sent me this:

“Hi Todd, how are you? I wouldn’t lie to you, the last mail you sent to me got me thinking and I made some positive moves with my life cause of you.

I’ve been able to secure a job but nothing permanent yet. Though, I’m making some improvements with my life, not as rosy as used to be but I’m in a happy place now. But, it’s not been easy, the bills come faster than the Cheque. Thank you Todd”

I have to say, receiving this email totally caught me off guard. I had completely forgotten about this guy. But the second I saw his name in my in box, I thought “here we go again...” only to be pleasantly surprised by what I read

Obviously, I don’t know this person from Adam. But I hope it’s a message that rings with some truth. And if it’s true, I hope this guy keeps scrapping and fighting to live an honest life.

Anyhow, thought it was kind of neat and decided to share.

#2 5 years ago

By the way... interesting to note the spelling of “cheque”... which is French, but I believe is actually commonly used in the UK?

#3 5 years ago

Wow, that's great!

#4 5 years ago

I agree these people are garbage and I’ve been reached out to a couple times, luckily knew better and just ignored it...

Just wondering.... why’d you call him brother?

A bro, brohan, brother is a cool friend/family member in my book.

Unless you’re randy savage? Then carry on-

#5 5 years ago

"Cheque" could also by from one of my people. Check vs cheque is at least 50/50 in Canada. We have scammers up here as well. Someone tried to scam me on an Xmen Pro. I wasn't as nice as you were...

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

I agree these people are garbage and I’ve been reached out to a couple times, luckily knew better and just ignored it...
    Just wondering.... why’d you call him brother?
    A bro, brohan, brother is a cool friend/family member in my book.
    Unless you’re randy savage? Then carry on-

Ha!

Snap into a Slim Jim!!!

#7 5 years ago

Like reading War and Peace.
    Close this thread now!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

"Cheque" could also by from one of my people. Check vs cheque is at least 50/50 in Canada. We have scammers up here as well. Someone tried to scam me on an Xmen Pro. I wasn't as nice as you were...

Maybe even Nigeria, or any former French colonies.

#9 5 years ago

All you did maybe was make them up their game. He or she is playing the long con with a new emotional angle now.

#10 5 years ago

Sounds like he’s working the sympathy angle now by saying he’s changed but struggling with the bills and could really use some help a.k.a. a donation.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Maybe even Nigeria, or any former French colonies.

/British

#12 5 years ago

I highly reccomend not responding to this last email.
    End it, mark this email spam.
    Takes more than a year to cure a scammer/grifter. Even if he is in a 12 step program or treatment or parole.
    A wolf in sheep's clothing, if it smells like a rat, if it sounds to good to be true.

#13 5 years ago

Certainly not interested in claiming any kind of moral victory, here. Certainly was never intending to force moral victory either.

Believe me, I’m skeptical, just as you. But, definitely interesting none the less. Who knows where the reality lies - this reply is basically is coming 14 months later. But I’m not curious to dig further to find out.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Certainly not interested in claiming any kind of moral victory, here. Certainly was never intending to force moral victory either.
    Believe, I’m skeptical, just as you. But, definitely interesting none the less. Who knows where the reality lies. And I’m not curious to dig further to find out.

Well said.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Believe me, I’m skeptical, just as you. But, definitely interesting none the less. Who knows where the reality lies - this reply is basically is coming 14 months later. But I’m not curious to dig further to find out.

I believe that you should offer a hand up, not a hand out. If the guy wants life mentoring, or emotional/moral support; then it wouldn’t hurt to help the guy out. But never let your self be taken advantage of or offer financial aid. I’ve had some experience with extended family, you get pulled into their story by their CONvincing story.

Check that out, and Pay by cheque. There’s a different use for each word, the Americans just dropped the “cheque” way back in history because of that whole screw the British time period. ( talking pure bullshit, I have no idea ). In Canada we also spell it colour, not color. I’m sure there’s other differences too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-email-from-an-old-scammer-caught-me-off-guard?hl=electronmagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.