Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lyonsden
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

trippy_2.gif
photo 2.JPG
photo.JPG
photo 5.54.15 PM.JPG
photo 2 copy.JPG

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

So, if I wanted a particular LED sequence to occur say, when a eject saucer kicked out, I would need the pinuindo to be tied in to the coil trigger outputs from the Solenoid Driver Board on an early Bally?

So anything triggered from a transistor is able to be 'sensed' and controlled by the Pinuindo (like SCRs that control feature lamps as well)? Or is it just the coil drivers?

Sounds like it is just the task of making a series of piggyback adaptors for the early Bally boardsets and then working on programming?

-scott

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

As a general rule, I don't like colored GI because it changes the look of the Artwork. But I have to admit that I lke this idea. I like how the machine has the normal look and then the colors change to match the gameplay. And they change fast enough to give you a shot of color and then back to normal.
Nice job. I might look into this.

Thanks Lonzo. I agree about color bombing a playfield ruining both the artwork and my ability to see the ball. One thing that I do with these setups is to keep the spot lights white and permanently on. That allows the game to "pop" when general GI changes color, but keeps *some* white light on the the main part of the playfield so I don't lose track of the ball. Still, when the Zues scoring effects that I made are running in Tron, it still messes with my ability to track the ball. The combination of a two-pulse light on-off-on-off-on with the ramp effect just screws with my eyes. But, it looks so damn cool that I keep it.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

So, if I wanted a particular LED sequence to occur say, when a eject saucer kicked out, I would need the pinuindo to be tied in to the coil trigger outputs from the Solenoid Driver Board on an early Bally?
So anything triggered from a transistor is able to be 'sensed' and controlled by the Pinuindo (like SCRs that control feature lamps as well)? Or is it just the coil drivers?
Sounds like it is just the task of making a series of piggyback adaptors for the early Bally boardsets and then working on programming?
-scott

You have it down -- anything controlled by a transistor can be monitored. Coils, flashers (I'm not sure what SCRs are). And yes, it is just about making molex/IDC adaptors to piggyback of plugs from the power-driver board that drives those devices and running them to the pinduino.

#54 4 years ago

Thanks! Looking forward to the project!

-scott

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

-scott

The kits will come plug and play. You do not need to build the harness. I just need to know what generation wpc, stern, sega, de, capcom ect...

Your guy's work is in the programming, not the wiring. I will probably give a discount if you post your code for everyone.

Cheers
Chris

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

The kits will come plug and play. You do not need to build the harness. I just need to know what generation wpc, stern, sega, de, capcom ect...
Your guy's work is in the programming, not the wiring. I will probably give a discount if you post your code for everyone.
Cheers
Chris

Awesome to hear! Building the harnesses was the biggest PITA for me. Also, I like the idea of discounts for those that post code new games.

#57 4 years ago

I'm all over this. I've had Arduino's for a long time and done a few things with them in my home brewing setup, but was always looking for something to use them on for my pins. Already PM'd Rock, so hopefully I can join the fun.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from datafry:

I'm all over this. I've had Arduino's for a long time and done a few things with them in my home brewing setup, but was always looking for something to use them on for my pins. Already PM'd Rock, so hopefully I can join the fun.

These boards are a blast if you like Arduino programming. Checking your game list, there are a couple that already have some code developed: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches

#59 4 years ago

Fantastic, but it looks difficult to install.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Fantastic, but it looks difficult to install.

I wrote up a set of DIY instructions: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ultimate-color-changing-gi-interactive-with-gameplay

Overall, it isn't too bad. Basically, unplug power to GI, take out old GI sockets, wrap them around existing cables to keep them out of the way (and zip tie in some places), install new addressable LED string, connect Pinduino, and have some fun. Programming the pinduino is easy: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 26.95
$ 50.00
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside