Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trippy_2.gif
photo 2.JPG
photo.JPG
photo 5.54.15 PM.JPG
photo 2 copy.JPG
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Check this out: fully programmable and controllable GI lighting tied into gameplay. This took me about two evenings (maybe 6 hours) to put together which included figuring out everything, soldering, and doing a bit of programming.

V3 of the system with ramp lights

V2 of the system tied into gameplay:

V1 Tied into gameplay (programming needs some work as this may cause seizures):

Demo/test of colors:

Breakdown of materials:

Pinduino: $40
Arduino Mega: $15
String of 50 addressable LEDs: $20
1M strip of 60 addressable LEDs: $20
Some wire.

If people are interested, I'll post step-by-step instructions on how to build this.

#2 8 years ago

That's cool...but it might be a little over the top

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The programming can be dialed how you like it, but wait till I post a video tied into gameplay. The first version can (will) induce seizures!

#4 8 years ago

These are the lights used in the GI. They are a perfect fit to press into the existing GI holes.

Here's a link to get them on Ebay: ebay.com link: 50PCS WS2811 RGB Full Color 12mm Pixels digital Addressable LED String DC 5V FA

I just cut the string in half and ran one string up along each side filling the GI holes.

photo 2 copy.JPGphoto 2 copy.JPG
photo 5.54.15 PM.JPGphoto 5.54.15 PM.JPG

#5 8 years ago

Here you can see them wired along with the normal GI sockets dangling.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG
#6 8 years ago

Huh! I thought there'd be more interest in this. Relatively inexpensive, straight forward, and works on nearly any game.

#7 8 years ago

Pretty cool when programmed to coincide with gameplay. If you put together kits, I could see them selling! Looks over my head at the moment, but very cool.

#8 8 years ago

Wonder how hard it would be to tie this into the RGB lighting for Eli's Tron ramps. I dunno SH-T about programming other than how to count basic numbers in binary/hex. :p

Wonder if there is a convenient disconnect point on Tron for the GI to keep the "hanging chads" from shorting out on anything..

#9 8 years ago

Looks awesome! Sometime's threads just get lost with so much activity on Pinside.

I would totally like to try this out! Please post instructions!

#10 8 years ago

Definitely interested. I do not like the rapid changing of the entire GI colours per se, but it would be great for subtle color matching and emphasis on certain parts during gameplay.

I'd like to know how you did it and how you wired the arduino to the pin itself.

#11 8 years ago

I'd love to see the step by step instructions, too, particularly how you linked them to game play.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

trippy_2.giftrippy_2.gif

#13 8 years ago

You can be sure people are very interested, I'm watching and learning myself. Keep it coming!

#14 8 years ago

Pretty cool if you ask me. Looking forward to seeing more

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wonder how hard it would be to tie this into the RGB lighting for Eli's Tron ramps

Probably not too bad, but then again, Eli's ramp kit is so. . . 2013. I replaced mine with addressable LED strips. This video, shot during the day, has both Eli's and addressable LEDs installed. You can see just a bit of difference in brightness (not to mention the much cooler effects you can do with addressable LEDs rather than just a fiber optic tube.)

My Tron is at a friends house, but I'll definitely do a full GI replacement when I get it back.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Wonder if there is a convenient disconnect point on Tron for the GI to keep the "hanging chads" from shorting out on anything..

I unplugged the GI from the power driver board (takes 1 second). Otherwise there is a high chance of shorting and blowing a fuse (which I did, twice, while figuring this all out).

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I would totally like to try this out! Please post instructions!

Great to hear! I'll get these posted sometime this week or over the weekend.

#18 8 years ago

That's all fine and dandy if you like the look of direct 5050 smd LEDs all up in your face.... or whatever those happen to be. I agree that they're a lot more flexible in application and effects, but unfortunately the fact they aren't diffused is really horrible to my eye. Just way too distracting and bright. I was thinking if I can tie the GI into the ELI and have it do the same colors, that would be pretty cool and hopefully not require a lot of programming.

There's a lot of time when the ELI is off, so I dunno...maybe have it default to whatever at the time it's not getting any inputs. Like I said, I don't know squat about how addressable LEDs or the programming to control them works. ;\

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from FreeBee:

I do not like the rapid changing of the entire GI colours per se, but it would be great for subtle color matching and emphasis on certain parts during gameplay.

That is the awesomeness of the pinduino. The code is free and open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches/

You can program it anyway that you like. Want to induce seizures? No problem. Want to keep your grandma happy? No problem. Want a mind-blowing electric koolaid acid test? No problem! Up to you.

In any case, the IM code needs some work and I need to make some additions to the core Pinduino library to do some better control over the two sets of LED lights.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I agree that they're a lot more flexible in application and effects, but unfortunately the fact they aren't diffused is really horrible to my eye.

By your icon, I can tell that you have sensitive eyes.

Seriously though, you can dial back the brightness in the code, or add a diffuser to the tube the LED strips are in, or wrap them on the sides of the ramp rather than underneath it (which I want to do). Just be a bit creative (and save yourself a good chunk of change in the process).

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

By your icon, I can tell that you have sensitive eyes.
Seriously though, you can dial back the brightness in the code, or add a diffuser to the tube the LED strips are in, or wrap them on the sides of the ramp rather than underneath it. Just be a bit creative (and save yourself a good chunk of change in the process).

You should see me when they dilate my pupils.

Already have the Eli...not saving anything there..

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Already have the Eli...not saving anything there..

Me too. It is now in a box somewhere, collecting dust.

#23 8 years ago

Good concept but I'd rather see the colors just change based off the mode you are playing in vs changing colors every time a switch is hit. For example, you are playing whiplash MB so the GI is green, War machine MB it is blue, bogey is orange, double scoring (iron man) is slight fade in and out red, etc. Current coding is a bit distracting. Sounds like it's easily programmable so I'm tuned in.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Good concept but I'd rather see the colors just change based off the mode you are playing in vs changing colors every time a switch is hit.

Totally! I spent all of 15 minutes writing this code last night.

#25 8 years ago

Nice. Those are the same bulbs I put into my F14 rewrite.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-second-sortie-information-and-on-going-development/page/7#post-2306972

As you say, they're an easy fit in the existing playfield holes...

#26 8 years ago

I had a chance to do some more programming last night. I added in a couple of functions to the main pinduino library to control all addressable LED channels at the same time and updated the Ironman GI code (all posted to GitHub). To cut down on the harshness of the light when the GI change color, I have it programmed so the GIs and apron/backpanel LED strips are using different colors. Also, I added back in the spots over the slings and have them set to white. That combination makes the color effects look good without compromising the visibility of the ball.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Good concept but I'd rather see the colors just change based off the mode you are playing in vs changing colors every time a switch is hit. For example, you are playing whiplash MB so the GI is green, War machine MB it is blue, bogey is orange, double scoring (Iron Man) is slight fade in and out red, etc. Current coding is a bit distracting. Sounds like it's easily programmable so I'm tuned in.

Quoted from lyonsden:

Totally! I spent all of 15 minutes writing this code last night.

Now that is Fecking cool... ....................Joey

#28 8 years ago

I think it's a great idea. The programmability of the GI is the key to me here: everyone can tailor to their personal preference. Thanks for the thread!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I had a chance to do some more programming last night. I added in a couple of functions to the main pinduino library to control all addressable LED channels at the same time and updated the Ironman GI code (all posted to GitHub). To cut down on the harness of the light when the GI change color, I have it programmed so the GIs and apron/backpanel LED strips are using different colors. Also, I added back in the spots over the slings and have them set to white. That combination makes the color effects look good without compromising the visibility of the ball.
» YouTube video

Okay, that video looks MUCH better than the one in your first post. Cool idea.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Okay, that video looks MUCH better than the one in your first post. Cool idea.

I have to agree with you, much better. I'm definitely interested.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

I think it's a great idea. The programmability of the GI is the key to me here: everyone can tailor to their personal preference. Thanks for the thread!

I think you have an inflated sense of "everyone"s abilities. A large majority of people don't mess with stuff like that. They'd just install it as is.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think you have an inflated sense of "everyone"s abilities. A large majority of people don't mess with stuff like that. They'd just install it as is.

That's what you took away from my comment? Okay, then: " The programmability of the GI is the key to me here: *I* can tailor to my personal preference." Better? I would hate to assume that folks on Pinside are capable of customization, fixing something, or following directions! lol

#33 8 years ago

That last video was awesome! Nice work!

#34 8 years ago

Dude, you are the light master.

#35 8 years ago

First off, thanks everyone for all the positive comments! The real reward is seeing other people get a chance to do this themselves, modify these ideas, and come up with something new. If you can fix a bad transistor on a power driver board, strip a playfield, and post to an online forum, you can definitely handle putting something like this together. If anyone does want to learn how to solder LED strips, assemble wiring harnesses, or get an Arduino programmed, I've written a set of tutorials: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2njOnd06CCOUmdKc1pKZGE1VkU/0B2njOnd06CCOdlBCVzdiWFZhUVE

I will be adding this one too.

In the meanwhile, I finished this tonight and added the ramp lights back. It IS over the top, super flashy, and absolutely awesome. If you don't like it, make it better! (And post instructions so others can build on your stuff.) Of course, great ideas are always welcome, so keep them coming.

#36 8 years ago

Amazingly impressed, looks really great, way to go. Not sure I can do this, but its amazingly cool. Applicable to older Williams games as well?

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Amazingly impressed, looks really great, way to go. Not sure I can do this, but its amazingly cool. Applicable to older Williams games as well?

Thanks Tsskinne! It should work -- Snux used the leds in an F14's socket holes, and I've added a Pinduino to a TOM and TAF without any issues (instructions are in the link above). I also recall someone adding one to a system 11.

#38 8 years ago

Mother of god....this is epically awesome

#39 8 years ago

noob question ... how are you tying the lighting into the gameplay, specifically? are you just monitoring certain switches and/or controlled lamps for activity, and having your code respond to those stimuli?

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

noob question ... how are you tying the lighting into the gameplay, specifically? are you just monitoring certain switches and/or controlled lamps for activity, and having your code respond to those stimuli?

The Pinduino has 16 optoisolators that monitor high current circuits and converts their activity to something an Arduino can read. On Sten SAM and Whitestar systems, this let's you monitor everything happening on J6/J7, which are usually all the flashers, and some coils and motors. For this project, I'm monitoring most of the flashers and then designing lighting effects on what has been triggered. You can go nuts and monitor controlled switches and lamps too. BigLebowski has some nice shields for sale and open source code available for the Arduino that let you monitor switches and lamps, and there are some other projects that have some awesome pictures and demos, but no products available yet.

Here is an example of the code monitoring J7 pin 8 (War Machine):

For the GI which has two LED circuits called adrLED1 and adrLED2:

if ( pd.pinState()->J7(8) ){//War Machine front
    pd.adrLED1()->color("green", 255);
    pd.adrLED2()->color("cyan", 255);
    delay(500);
    trigger = 1;
  }

For the Ramps which has one LED circuit called adrLED1

if ( pd.pinState()->J7(8) )
    pd.adrLED1()->spreadInFromPoint2Color (R_START, "red", "blue", 0);
    pd.adrLED1()->fadeOut(100);
    trigger=1;
  }

All code has been and always will be open source: https://github.com/elyons/professor_pinball_pinduino_sketches

#41 8 years ago

This is really cool. Sorry if I missed it, but did you end up completely removing the original GI wiring and bulbs once you were done installing the new LEDs?

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

This is really cool. Sorry if I missed it, but did you end up completely removing the original GI wiring and bulbs once you were done installing the new LEDs?

No. I just unplugged the GI from the power driver board, unscrewed the sockets, took out the bulbs, and wrapped/zip tied the bulb sockets around the main wiring harness under the playfield. Easy to do and easy to reverse if you want to put the normal GI lights back in.

#43 8 years ago

Had some time to write up the instructions on how to do this. I started a thread so people can post question and corrects: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-ultimate-color-changing-gi-interactive-with-gameplay

As well as a google doc (which you can print out): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q4ocskLaG9377kGTRL-7TVRDCNNiFv-U_TAz9zaoilE

5 months later
#44 8 years ago

In case people missed this, I did a similar thing to Tron:

#45 8 years ago

Great news. I just heard from Rock Custom Pinball that he (Rock914) has everything in stock for selling/distributing pinduinos. From what I understand, he is working through a backlog of orders created when he was getting the BOM together and will soon be taking new orders. Thanks Chris for taking this forward and making new kits!

#46 8 years ago

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag, Eric! 

If people are interested please send me an email [email protected], yes my personal email for now as to keep this seperate from Rock Custom Pinball.

For those of you already on the list you will be contacted in the order i received your emails of interest. You will be sent an invoice and shipped your fully assembled pinduino complete with wire harness for an easy connection to your machine WPC, STERN, DATA EAST, SEGA the connections are different for each manufacturer the defult is always Stern so let me know what you are doing so i can provide the correct harness.

Those of you that wanted the DIY will get it but i do not plan on offering the DIY setup much longer as I cannot handle all the emails.

Cheers
Chris
http://www.rockcustompinball.com
[email protected]

#47 8 years ago

Lyonsden -

Love the idea - very cool. How would this integrate into an early Bally SS GI circuit? I have a Xenon I am about to start a full restoration on and I think this would add greatly to the experience (and the machine will be completely disassembled anyway). Would love to be able to change GI colors based on particular shots, highlight areas of the PF, add LED "flashers", etc.

Thoughts?

-scott

#48 8 years ago

It should work without any problem. The basic design of the pinduino is to monitor coil/flashers -- as long as you can tie into those (e.g., J6/J7 on SAM/Whitestars), and have a 12V power to the pinduino board and 5V for the LED lights, everything will work.

#49 8 years ago

Also, you can use a computer power supply to get 12V and 5V (which I use through this board from Seeed: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/ATX-breakout-board-bench-power-supply-p-1222.html). I use this on games that are extra sensitive to excess current usage and blow fuses, or when I go overboard with the number of LEDs being powered.

#50 8 years ago

As a general rule, I don't like colored GI because it changes the look of the Artwork. But I have to admit that I lke this idea. I like how the machine has the normal look and then the colors change to match the gameplay. And they change fast enough to give you a shot of color and then back to normal.

Nice job. I might look into this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 24.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-aint-your-grandmas-gi/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.