• 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lordringseye.gif
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/third-hobbit-film-confirmed-355817

I wonder what affect this will have on the JJP pin. I would think it will definitely delay it, and may even force them to choose a different license for pin #2. Summer 2014 is an awfully long time away.

#2 11 years ago

Saw the extended preview at the movies this past Friday...I know someone is going to get mad but...I wasn't really that impressed.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

Saw the extended preview at the movies this past Friday...I know someone is going to get mad but...I wasn't really that impressed.

Ya looks like a snoozefest.

#4 11 years ago

3 FILMS IS 1 TOO MANY.

The Hobbit was what a 100 minute animated cartoon?

I thought it was a 2 part movie.

#5 11 years ago

Ugh...really? The Hobbit is a kid's book and a fast read. Where are they going to get all this material?

Hollywood is milking this LOTR train as long as they can (I think I mixed up several cliches there...)

#6 11 years ago

The Hobbit is a 310 page book. The LOTR is a 1500 page epic with each book being 500 pages or more. How in the world can the milk they Hobbit to 3 movies!? Are they gonna make a trilogy of Goodnight Moon next?

#7 11 years ago

I told my wife that the first book would involve all the dwarves showing up and lunch.

The second movie would be all of the crap in Moria/Goblintown.

The third will be the lonely mountain, 3 seconds of Bard killing Smaug, and 90 minutes of walking treasure back to town.

They're trying to appeal to the MMO people.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

The Hobbit is a 310 page book. The LOTR is a 1500 page epic with each book being 500 pages or more. How in the world can the milk they Hobbit to 3 movies!? Are they gonna make a trilogy of Goodnight Moon next?

If a Cat in the Hat movie exists...

#9 11 years ago

Apparently they are drawing on 125 pages of additional, unpublished Tolkien writing and notes and are fleshing out characters beyond what is in the book.

No pin until 2014 is a bit sad though

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Virtua:

Apparently they are drawing on 125 pages of additional, unpublished Tolkien writing and notes and are fleshing out characters beyond what is in the book.
No pin until 2014 is a bit sad though

I've heard that, too. Apparently, the intent is to wrap up all the loose ends and provide more backstory to LOTR.

So, it's like the Star Wars prequels...midnight showing here I come!

#11 11 years ago

The fact that Peter Jackson left out Tom Bombadil from the LOTR still makes me disappointed. He better not leave anything out in this one then.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/third-hobbit-film-confirmed-355817
I wonder what affect this will have on the JJP pin. I would think it will definitely delay it, and may even force them to choose a different license for pin #2. Summer 2014 is an awfully long time away.

I don't get the 3 movie thing either, so lets compare the screen adaptation of Harry Potter, which was an abridged version of the series. The adaptations went from 120 to 380 pages per hour of film. An unabridged adaptation of The Hobbit would run closer to 100 pages per film hour, and we'd wind up with a 3.5 hour film adaptation of The Hobbit... or three 1.2 hour movies? Seems like they would need some filler, or longer action scenes, or something.

Concerning the pin....the storyline is well known, and the first film comes out in 2012, so on the surface it shouldn't have any impact, making a good excuse to give the pin custom animation and voices. But this is JJP with an LCD, so actual movie clips and voices may be higher quality coming directly from the film, which would imply all 3 need to be out first... so a valid concern by the OP.

I get the impression that at best JJP #3 is The Hobbit, and I anticipate JJP to run 1 game per year, implying 2014 for any Hobbit pin anyhow, so maybe it's all a non-issue...

#13 11 years ago

This might change JJP's strategy as I am sure it was the intention for Hobbit to be number 2. But 2014? 3 movies? Too many really.

Could work out in that might get that unlicensed pin by Nordman now

#14 11 years ago

IF that's the pin coming next, at this point it does look pretty likely to be 2014 anyway, but it would be hoped that JJP would have good communication with WETA (that is Jackson's studio right?), or at least have read the book enough to only keep in the necessary stuff, maybe drop some plausible extras in as easter eggs.

The pin probably wouldn't need character development all that much anyway, just the action of it all.

#15 11 years ago

Now the speculation about what JJP #2 will be is really going to heat up. Unlicensed opportunity! Time to get creative.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

The fact that Peter Jackson left out Tom Bombadil from the LOTR still makes me disappointed. He better not leave anything out in this one then.

Tom is a freakin' badass in Lord of the Rings Online. Blows up elite master wights with lightning while squirrels and ducks and dogs follow him around. WHAT. EVER!!

It's a shame that Tolkien never really got around to explaining who or what he actually is. He's not an angel. He's not a demon. He's not Eru. What the hell is he?

#17 11 years ago

Hence the exclusion from LOTR

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Now the speculation about what JJP #2 will be is really going to heat up. Unlicensed opportunity! Time to get creative.

Last I heard it is a garage project 60% complete that came with one of the designers.

#19 11 years ago

It could be a bit optimistic, but I was hoping for pin #2 by Christmas 2013, and pin #3 by Christmas 2014. Once they are fully up and running and all the kinks are worked out of the build process, one pin a year seems reasonable to me.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It could be a bit optimistic, but I was hoping for pin #2 by Christmas 2013, and pin #3 by Christmas 2014. Once they are fully up and running and all the kinks are worked out of the build process, one pin a year seems reasonable to me.

For sure they need to make at least one a year with Stern making 3 or 4!

#21 11 years ago

They are making 3 movies because my friend told me each one will cost hundreds of millions of dollars (one rumor says up to 400 million!) and this way they have a much better chance of turning a bigger profit.

lordringseye.giflordringseye.gif

#22 11 years ago

I wonder what J.r.r. would think if somebody told em a billion dollars would be spent turning his fantasy epic into films.

#23 11 years ago

He'd say....my precious.....

#24 11 years ago

It can't be as bad as Toy Story 4, which I will not be watching.

#25 11 years ago

3 movies for the Hobbit? Don't know what to say to this one. Are they doing the Silmarillion too?

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Tom is a freakin' badass

Yeah. Beorn is pretty badass too.

#27 11 years ago

This is silly. The Hobbit is a fun, quick, children's story. It is not LOTR. Making this more than it is, is not the way to go. All of a sudden I am not looking forward to this.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

The Hobbit is a fun, quick, children's story.

Well it has sentimental value for me since it was the first book I ever read (or at least remember reading.) I remember the house that I lived in when I read it and figure I was 8-9. I read a lot of "children's" books still. I'm weird, I read hard core philosophy and science too. My favorite kids books as of the last couple of years have been the Last Apprentice series. The book I'm reading right now is based in the world of the video game Oblivion. I'm a huge nerd! Bring on The Hobbit!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

If a Cat in the Hat movie exists...

I loled!

Yeah, and didn't Cat in the Hat really deviate away from the book just to fill in it's time?

#30 11 years ago

I'm hoping they're better than the LOTR movies.

#31 11 years ago

Where the Wild Things Are is only 338 words and Spike Jonze made a pretty cool film.

Agree that 3 is probably too many though.

#32 11 years ago

Well....the Hobbit is about as bad a theme as it gets for me so I hope they delay this thing for a few years....

#33 11 years ago

Wonder if the Hobbit is only 45 minutes long....

#34 11 years ago

Here is the theme song.

lol, heard this for the first time on the radio in St. Louis last week. On a rock station no less.
Must have been tired of chasing Klingons. Maybe he was intrigued by their pointy ears. Truly a low point in his career.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Here is the theme song.

That's almost as bad as Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"...!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I'm hoping they're better than the LOTR movies.

...wha?!

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Matt_johnson:

Well it has sentimental value for me since it was the first book I ever read (or at least remember reading.) I remember the house that I lived in when I read it and figure I was 8-9. I read a lot of "children's" books still. I'm weird, I read hard core philosophy and science too. My favorite kids books as of the last couple of years have been the Last Apprentice series. The book I'm reading right now is based in the world of the video game Oblivion. I'm a huge nerd! Bring on The Hobbit!

Link to book based on Oblivion? I would love to read that if it's good, Oblivion is my favorite video game EVER. (I still revisit it every now and then to bring holy vengeance down on the town of Hackdirt)

#38 11 years ago

Ah, Obilivion. Bethesda's last hurrah at maintaining any semblance of what made TES awesome in the first place.

Skyrim is a great game, but it's more like Redguard than Daggerfall. Too much emphasis on action, no custom spells.. blah. I understand WHY they removed custom spells, I just think it's a crock to suddenly take out a major gameplay feature that completely dominated Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. I just have to settle for backstabbing and cutting people's throats with epic sneaking skills.

Because that's what the Dragonborn does in my world.

#39 11 years ago

So what does everyone make of Jack's latest comments???

"We don't have The Hobbit so this is moot at this time.

If we did, the game would be released as or just after the second
movie is released. "

Thought Hobbit was nailed down!

#40 11 years ago

I never read anywhere that the Hobbit was nailed down. I read he was pursuing the license so everyone thought it was as good as done since LOTR was made. I haven't read anywhere what the 2nd and 3rd pins themes will be either.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

The Hobbit was what a 100 minute animated cartoon?

knee slap

#42 11 years ago

Why are they doing three films?

Why three reasons of course!!!

1. PArt 1- Money

2. Part 2- More Money

3. Part 3- And Even More Money!!!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Svengo:

Why are they doing three films?

Why three reasons of course!!!

1. PArt 1- Money

2. Part 2- More Money

3. Part 3- And Even More Money!!!

Yep. It's no different than the studio forcing Tarantino to cut Kill Bill into two films. It's all about the bottom line.

#44 11 years ago

3 movies is fine by me if there only 90 minutes. But 9 hours oh my i cant do it again not in the theater anyway.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Truly a low point in his career.

Wow Where the hell did you find that, Laugh

#47 11 years ago

Wonder if the license has become too expensive now it is a trilogy??

He has also confirmed no Elvira pin.

Says even he doesn't know what second pin will be but will be out late 2013.

#48 11 years ago

I keep hearing JJP #2 will be Pinball Donut Girl

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wonder if the license has become too expensive now it is a trilogy??
He has also confirmed no Elvira pin.
Says even he doesn't know what second pin will be but will be out late 2013.

Lord, lets just hope for an adult theme. JJP's people that help him make decisions scare me somewhat (the label on the invisiglass they told him was a great idea and the WOZ theme for game No. 1 are the examples). Let's hope they poll other outside people (like older customers or something) and get us some kind of cool action packed theme like Stern has been doing with games like XMen and Tron.

I have faith in JJP and will be in on his second pin if the theme is good. I'm actually glad it is not going to be the hobbit...I would be worried he would go off the 80's cartoon.

#50 11 years ago

I'm not a fan. Not even a little bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 25.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/third-hobbit-film-confirmed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.