Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pingod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm considering trading in my STTNG for STLE. I've played STTNG a lot and would like to keep a trek in the house but don't have room for both.

I've played STLE a few times and it seems fun.

Questions on STLE:
How's the code coming?
Is there some big release pending?
How's the call outs?
Is there some sound pack coming?

What would the unboxing checklist look like. Do people have many out of box issues with STLE?

I would like to hear your POV.

#2 10 years ago

I have both, and wouldn't part with either, but if I HAD to choose, I'd keep STLE. That said, the code is way cooler on STTNG. It's FULL of custom callouts etc, and they've done an amazing job of differentiating the various modes. You know what you're getting there, as you already have it.

Code on STLE is in progress. It's getting better, but nobody knows what we'll finally end up with. They've announced custom callouts recorded by Karl Urban... but no date announced for release. The first few updates came quite quickly, and were big improvements, but it's still got a ways to go.

Right now the modes are a little too similar in the first level. Too many shots to make, and not much differentiation. That said, 1st level modes are fun.

I think the lighting and audio on STLE are top notch. It's a VERY impressive game. But it's not the classic that STTNG is... yet. It's really close though. A little code tweaking, and the addition of custom callouts, and this will be an amazing title. As is, it's great.

I honestly couldn't choose between them, but I think if I HAD to, I'd keep STLE. Maybe that's just because I've had STTNG for almost 15 years though.

#3 10 years ago

Don't do it. I personally enjoy STTNG more, it's more of an adventure with more variety. I sold my STTNG for a Stern Star Trek and I regret it, I want my STTNG back, I miss it.

#4 10 years ago

Any game that is as or more popular today than it was 20 years ago has stood the test of time. As for your decision? I think you will have to figure that out on your own.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Don't do it. I personally enjoy STTNG more, it's more of an adventure with more variety. I sold my STTNG for a Stern Star Trek and I regret it, I want my STTNG back, I miss it.

I'm not sure that's strictly true. I love my STTNG, but it's got 6 main modes, and 1 wizard mode multi ball? STLE has 18 modes (Admittedly in need of some differentiation!) and 2 mini wizard modes, and a Final Captains Chair Wizard mode... that I have yet to make it to! I think STLE has a ton of potential. I'm ASSUMING Ritchie is going to make sure it gets there!

I can TOTALLY understand missing your STTNG, but I wouldn't say it has more variety than STLE. I would say that the modes in STTNG feel more different than the modes in STLE (At THIS point in time).

It's a tough call. There's a lot of untapped potential in STLE, but with STTNG you know you have a SOLID title.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I'm not sure that's strictly true. I love my STTNG, but it's got 6 main modes, and 1 wizard mode multi ball? STLE has 18 modes (Admittedly in need of some differentiation!) and 2 mini wizard modes, and a Final Captains Chair Wizard mode... that I have yet to make it to! I think STLE has a ton of potential. I'm ASSUMING Ritchie is going to make sure it gets there!
I can TOTALLY understand missing your STTNG, but I wouldn't say it has more variety than STLE. I would say that the modes in STTNG feel more different than the modes in STLE (At THIS point in time).
It's a tough call. There's a lot of untapped potential in STLE, but with STTNG you know you have a SOLID title.

Yeah I know. I grew up watching STTNG so it has a special place in my heart. After 20 years it is still an awesome pin and I see people who were previously obsessed with their Stern Star Trek selling them left and right now, time will tell how the new Star Trek holds up. I do really like the new Star Trek, I just like STTNG that little bit more. Maybe if they make all the modes feel different in the new ST with a code update it might surpass STTNG in my mind. There is a distinct difference in all the modes in STTNG, I feel all the modes in the new one feel the same for some reason, to me anyway. Maybe a code update will solve this? Both great games though.

#7 10 years ago

Man...I was so close to doing the same thing, but got cold feet at the last minute. I still haven't gotten to play a new one (should be fixing that next weekend!), but I am so glad I held on to my STTNG. Hopefully someday I'll be able to add the Stern, but it will take a little longer now. I've been giving my STTNG a lot of love lately, working on a full LED conversion and a few extra goodies. It feels like a brand new game now. Looking back, I'm amazed I had myself convinced to part with it. I know I'd be in the same boat you are...enjoying the Stern but missing my Next Gen. I'm glad I didn't learn that lesson the hard way. STTNG will likely be the last pin to leave my collection.

I hope you are able to get yours back someday soon. Now that you have owned both, do you feel like they can stand side-by-side in a collection, or would there be too much similarity? I still have an urge in the back of my mind to have all 4 Trek machines lined up someday. It's just too bad the DE one has crept up in price...I do like it, but I don't think I like it $2k+ much. Great art though....drool! Sorry...getting WAY off topic!

#8 10 years ago

They work really well together. My STTNG feels a tad sluggish next to STLE, but as we're all saying... it's a great pin.

#9 10 years ago

I think STLE is a fantastic game that only get better. It's fast, intense, and has some of the silkiest flow Stern has ever put out. It's shiny and new, and the light show is phenomenal.

Absolutely no way I would take it over a nice STTNG.

#10 10 years ago

Go with STLE!

#11 10 years ago

I have both and even though it's too soon to say for sure (only have 40 plays on STLE), my first impressions are STTNG is still king. If you like eye candy, STLE is the clearly the better choice (no doubt STTNG looks "dated"). Looks aside, if you are an above average player and focus on gameplay/rules, STLE is a disappointment so far. For folks that just want to bang the ball around, I would imagine STLE is very appealing (great lighting, vengeance ship is cool).

STTNG's 7 modes each have more personality and appeal than all of STLE's "level 1" rules combined. The ColorDMD also adds a lot to STTNG…sad that a modern pin that is nearly 2x the price can compete with 20 year old technology.

Assuming STTNG is in tiptop shape and waxed, it plays just as fast as STLE (though it's a wide body and they always play a bit differently than standard bodies).

#12 10 years ago

I got one for you
I have them both as well,but need the space so Sttng is for sale.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Man...I was so close to doing the same thing, but got cold feet at the last minute. I still haven't gotten to play a new one (should be fixing that next weekend!), but I am so glad I held on to my STTNG. Hopefully someday I'll be able to add the Stern, but it will take a little longer now. I've been giving my STTNG a lot of love lately, working on a full LED conversion and a few extra goodies. It feels like a brand new game now. Looking back, I'm amazed I had myself convinced to part with it. I know I'd be in the same boat you are...enjoying the Stern but missing my Next Gen. I'm glad I didn't learn that lesson the hard way. STTNG will likely be the last pin to leave my collection.
I hope you are able to get yours back someday soon. Now that you have owned both, do you feel like they can stand side-by-side in a collection, or would there be too much similarity? I still have an urge in the back of my mind to have all 4 Trek machines lined up someday. It's just too bad the DE one has crept up in price...I do like it, but I don't think I like it $2k+ much. Great art though....drool! Sorry...getting WAY off topic!

Yes Stern Star Trek could be in the same line up as a STTNG for sure, STTNG is a completely different beast. I actually don't think they play similar at all.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I got one for you
I have them both as well,but need the space so Sttng is for sale.

Let me tell you I saw yours and I would jump on it in a minute except my cash is being held for MMR LE. So I would have to decide which one I wanted more STTNG (a nice one too) or a brand new Medieval Madness. Right now I choose MMR. But yours is one sweet ride! I can't believe it hasn't sold yet

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

I'm considering trading in my STTNG for STLE. I've played STTNG a lot and would like to keep a trek in the house but don't have room for both.
I've played STLE a few times and it seems fun.
Questions on STLE:
How's the code coming?
Is there some big release pending?
How's the call outs?
Is there some sound pack coming?
What would the unboxing checklist look like. Do people have many out of box issues with STLE?
I would like to hear your POV.

Code: sttng is proven, STLE is not. Stick with sttng
Call outs: repetitive but wait for Karl urban speach update. Keep sttng til then.
Sounds: excellent in STLE.
Out of box issues: little to none but people have had some problems with the drop target and/or opto behind the drop. It seems to becoming a regular occurrence even, but I hear the fix is easy to deal with?

Final thoughts: STLE is a really really really fun shooting game. But code needs a lot of work. Sttng is proven, STLE is not.

#16 10 years ago

Let me tell you I saw yours and I would jump on it in a minute except my cash is being held for MMR LE. So I would have to decide which one I wanted more STTNG (a nice one too) or a brand new Medieval Madness. Right now I choose MMR. But yours is one sweet ride! I can't believe it hasn't sold yet

Two different buyers backed out,picture collectors I guess.
Shipping is not a problem,I just sent a LOTR LE to Toronto today.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-trading-sttng-for-stle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.