Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Doctor6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

It's been growing on me for quite a while now.
    I've had my WOZ for 2 years, I love the game, I love the theme but it's also turning slowly into a frustrating experience as I'm nowhere close to completing all the modes, and some of them feel out of reach.
    In between I bought a TSPP, which is my first standard body, I started realizing that it makes a huge difference in play, in speed and "frenzy" once the ball hits the lower playfield, it feels like playing pinball on steroids, even on a TSPP that is far from being the fastest game around.

Then comes DI, I hated the game for a while, I would barely play it on location and always felt bored shooting randomly and just trying to keep the ball alive. Until a day where I saw the light, played an awesome game, and started to really get into it, read the rules, and really got to enjoy the game. I'm actually a much better player at DI once in a while on location, probably 150 games or so, than the 1500 games I've put on my WOZ without really getting any better.
    Same with TSPP, and I must say playing good games almost everytime is very rewarding and a good reason to want to play more.

So here I am, wondering if I should part with WOZ and get a DI, I know I will always enjoy playing WOZ, but the growing frustration that comes with it, makes it tough to start a game with the hope of nailing it.

#2 4 years ago

If you don't play it or enjoy it fully move it on unless you have unlimited space and funds.

Worst case is you buy a Woz again someday. It's only pinball!

Fwiw I bought a used DI in the last several months and so far I am enjoying it more than I expected. It is getting way more play than my LOTR did. I had that that for years though.

#3 4 years ago

DI is a better game but that theme is an albatross when it comes to resell - basically limits your audience to pinball people, whereas WOZ can sell to anybody.

Nothing wrong with a trade but all things equal a nice WOZ is probably more desirable than a nice DI, so I'd factor that in on any trade.

#4 4 years ago

I love both games.
    - Dialed in because it's really a great layout with fast flow. I don't pay much attention to the theme. I don't care.
    - WoZ because it was a (small) revolution in the pinball world.

I would love to own both...

#5 4 years ago

I would totally do that. DI Is really fun, I absolutely miss it. It’s a mix of all the greatest Lawlor stuff. AND it’s got some amazing boss battles and animation.

WOZ is great too, but it had its time in our house (twice!), and I don’t miss it at all, even though it’s beautiful to loook at.

DI is also literally the only game my kid said “why did you sell that?! I loved that game!” News to me though lol

#6 4 years ago

Thank you all for your replies, I need to sleep on it a bit, I'm really going back and forth with letting it go or not. It goes up and down often related to how well I do on the game I must admit, but I went out to play DI again this weekend, and I don't think playing pinball gets more fun than that.

#7 4 years ago

I'll throw in my 2 cents and hope it helps. I had a WOZ and while I liked the look of it, it is a stunning game throughout, and I played it a decent amount or forced myself to, it never had that I need to hit start again appeal for me. I played Dialed in at a Comic show here a couple of years ago and loved it from play one. It has a bunch of touches from Pat Lawlor's excellent past kind of rolled into one. I got rid of my WOZ for it and have zero regrets. So if you are feeling WOZ is hitting the wall, move it and get a Dialed in, even though it's not as pretty as WOZ, to me it is way more fun. The beauty of WOZ is if you ever want another one they are readily available. Good luck with your decision!

#8 4 years ago

own both, both great games. I like oz better. the callouts on di are annoying.... otherwise a fun game

#9 4 years ago

I have a DILE and WWLE and I am considering getting rid of the WWLE and replacing with a WoZ... I love the gameplay on the DILE and feel it is one of the more complete games that I have ever played. I particularly like the callouts... they are well designed and will walk you through the game if you pay attention. The selfie cam is great for kids... I do not know why more games don't use interactive features more to attract younger crowd..

#10 4 years ago

I was in awe of my Woz for about a month. After that wore off, the gameplay wasn't for me and it left pretty quickly. Many others have been enjoying it for years and it's a relative keeper, so results may vary.

I've had my DI longer than anything else in my collection and it never gets old for me. Code and shots are my ideal mix I guess?

Woz ended up feeling like too much of a grind, as did the Hobbit. I also think this was the game that made me realize I am not a fan of upper playfields.

Regardless, two years is a nice run... if you have limited space every game has a shelf life if you want to try other things. Sounds like you've put some time on DI, most people figure out of they love or hate it pretty quickly. Luckily there are plenty of them around, so this is nothing you need to rush into! You can always hold out for a nice local deal to pop up and pounce accordingly.

#11 4 years ago

I think I like DI the best of the 3 jjp games I own. However I like and play the 3 jjp games the most. So no plans to sell any of them.

Good luck

#12 4 years ago

DI was fantastic at first. The layout, the rules, and the flow were all great. But I ended up selling it after a year.

The callouts really suck. Very amateurish, and once the thrill of newness wears off, it's very lackluster to play because of the audio, not the theme.

It's not a bad game, but I think Woz is better. I've never owned Wonka, but I'd rate JJPOTC > Woz > DI > Wonka > Dentist visit > Hobbit

3 weeks later
    #13 4 years ago

Own both and can’t see selling either. Bought an ECLE when they were first released and sold it about a year later. Always missed the game . Bought a RR with the factory 2.0 boards and this one is staying. Then picked up a DILE and this game is a blast. Such a smooth and fast shooting game. If you have the room and the funds, keep the WOZ and pick up DI.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

Own both and can’t see selling either. Bought an ECLE when they were first released and sold it about a year later. Always missed the game . Bought a RR with the factory 2.0 boards and this one is staying. Then picked up a DILE and this game is a blast. Such a smooth and fast shooting game. If you have the room and the funds, keep the WOZ and pick up DI.

Getting both was where my head was headed actually. I can sort out my room and fund problem by letting go my TSPP, but my kids are totally against it, and I doubt the DI theme will appeal to them as much as The Simpsons do. So it's a catch 22 for now, I'll leave it there for now, eventually they'll grow out of The Simpsons and I'll have a shot at getting a DI.

For now I'm just happy to have pinballs in my house, it makes the days much easier !

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

DI is a better game but that theme is an albatross when it comes to resell - basically limits your audience to pinball people, whereas WOZ can sell to anybody.
    Nothing wrong with a trade but all things equal a nice WOZ is probably more desirable than a nice DI, so I'd factor that in on any trade.

To you. The theme is one of the things I like about the game. So, yeah, for a few old farts, I can see this not being a 1970s music pin is probably pretty scary.

I would personally like my next pin to be a WOZ because I own two jjp's already. Pirates is unobtanium and I don't find Wonka appealing at all, so WOZ is the last JJP pin I plan to buy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-trading-a-woz-for-a-di?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.