534F34D1-AD67-4ACD-8882-197549202BC9 (resized).jpeg
688B677B-20ED-4014-883F-D36803B6A6F6 (resized).jpeg
1EED864B-A865-4368-AC4A-8595F434B8E6 (resized).png
91C6202C-7192-4865-B08D-135145CD6094 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5076 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4897 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

A friend picked up a Williams Darts this weekend in a white enamel overpainted cabinet. This is the drink shelf style cabinet with the coffee table legs. Not the prettiest cabinet but the playfield and backglass are pretty nice.

To me it screams put me in a Williams single player woodrail cabinet.

So what do folks think of this idea? Has anyone done it? Does anyone have an empty donor cabinet, preferably with decent original artwork still intact?

With the lightbox scoring that Darts has it would be perfect in the older cabinet in my opinion.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

A friend picked up a Williams Darts this weekend in a white enamel overpainted cabinet. This is the drink shelf style cabinet with the coffee table legs. Not the prettiest cabinet but the playfield and backglass are pretty nice.
To me it screams put me in a Williams single player woodrail cabinet.
So what do folks think of this idea? Has anyone done it? Does anyone have an empty donor cabinet, preferably with decent original artwork still intact?
With the lightbox scoring that Darts has it would be perfect in the older cabinet in my opinion.

Early copies of 'Darts" did come in a woodrail cabinet, so yeah, do it! I'll buy his lockdown bar and legs from him.

#3 5 years ago

I just checked IPDB, and there is no photos of "Darts" in the woodrail cabinet. Can anyone post a photo of one, or is it super rare?

#4 5 years ago

Heck no, keep the original cabinet all the way. Remember you can place your favorite refreshment on that ledge right in front of you. Plus its so dang different its cool.

John

#5 5 years ago

I just might put my "Darts" in a woodrail cabinet. It would give me the lockdown bar I need for my "Jungle", and save me from having to have a playfield glass made up for that funky cabinet ("Darts" is missing top glass). I just picked up a Williams woodrail cabinet. That's why I'd like to see the paint scheme for the woodrail "Darts". I'm glad you posted this, Mike. Now the wheels are turning...
Yes, and "singlezero" wants a "styling of the '60s" cabinet for his "Ten Spot". This might all work out!

#6 5 years ago

thanks for thinking of me

yes that is true, ive been half regretting not buying those two cabinets in allentown but the cost and then having a darts game w/o a cab didnt appeal to me . i can get a cabinet built but would be interested in all metal pieces . let me know what is hashed out!

as a side note , jr you and i got the deal of allentown dont you think?*w*

some things to consider. the playfield glass may be different sizes. i also have a wooden top apron to replace for my ten spot , i suppose if a dart was going into a woodrail it already has that wooden upper apron

#7 5 years ago

this woodrail darts layout could be a challenge. only 3 darts listed on all of pinballowners.

#8 5 years ago

First, I consider that cabinet pretty cool. I wouldn't change it.

But, if you must, keep the old stuff so you can go back. But, I would leave it alone.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

First, I consider that cabinet pretty cool. I wouldn't change it.

But, if you must, keep the old stuff so you can go back. But, I would leave it alone.

i think a few of us are wanting to achieve the more rare version of our games. that they infact did produce in low quantities. this would make them more desirable for our own collections. it isnt like we are trying to take away from the authenticity of the game itself. i actually like the styling of the 60s cabinet too but i know many dont or at best are ambivalent to it.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

thanks for thinking of me
yes that is true, ive been half regretting not buying those two cabinets in allentown but the cost and then having a darts game w/o a cab didnt appeal to me . i can get a cabinet built but would be interested in all metal pieces . let me know what is hashed out!
as a side note , jr you and i got the deal of allentown dont you think?*w*
some things to consider. the playfield glass may be different sizes. i also have a wooden top apron to replace for my ten spot , i suppose if a dart was going into a woodrail it already has that wooden upper apron

Yeah, we got a good deal on those legs, but if I do this swap, I won't need them.
I don't think either game would need a wooden arch or apron either. The later woodrail games had metal parts.
And yes, the glass for the metal rail cabinet is 1/2" wider than a normal glass. Also, if you got my "Darts" cabinet, you would need a lockdown bar because I'd use that one for my "Jungle" which is missing one. My "Darts" cabinet is also missing the backbox door, but that's only plywood anyway.
Something to think about, and it wouldn't really be "pinsacreligious" because both "Darts" and "Ten Spot" came in alternate cabinet versions.
Not really sure if any "Ten Spot" games were made in the other cabinet, but it was meant to be made that way.

#11 5 years ago

This is the first time that I've mentioned this and received a positive response.

I'm not a fan of the 60's shelf cabinet. The one this game came in has plate glass over the playfield with a split I believe and the metal cover for the lock bar is missing, although the wood base for it is there.

Here is a shot of the game before we picked it up.

IMG_4897 (resized).JPGIMG_4897 (resized).JPG

#12 5 years ago

How can changing from this not be an improvement?

IMG_5076 (resized).jpegIMG_5076 (resized).jpeg

#13 5 years ago

And the 2016 Mr. Pinball price guide says it is only worth $325.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

That is only the case if you want improvement. I just think that cabinet style was so iconic, seminal & a signature sign of the 60s whether it be a car, house, furnishings or even a pinball machine. A tragedy to change that creation imo.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, we got a good deal on those legs, but if I do this swap, I won't need them.
I don't think either game would need a wooden arch or apron either. The later woodrail games had metal parts.
And yes, the glass for the metal rail cabinet is 1/2" wider than a normal glass. Also, if you got my "Darts" cabinet, you would need a lockdown bar because I'd use that one for my "Jungle" which is missing one. My "Darts" cabinet is also missing the backbox door, but that's only plywood anyway.
Something to think about, and it wouldn't really be "pinsacreligious" because both "Darts" and "Ten Spot" came in alternate cabinet versions.
Not really sure if any "Ten Spot" games were made in the other cabinet, but it was meant to be made that way.

Hey Joe...where are you getting the info that these games were produced in woodrail cabs ever? I wouldn't think they'd do that since it's such a drastic change. Unless you're talking about proto-types or samples, but that wouldn't count as "produced".

Not doubting your info really, just curious - I don't see anything about that game being available in anything other than the "styling of the 60's" cab.

Also not sure if converting this game to a "rarer" version would work, since if there is a run of these in woodrail cabs, the serial numbers would reflect that, and if you converted it, the serial numbers wouldn't jive.

But otherwise...switch it if you want to...as usual, and I'll always say - it's your game! )

Sean

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I have to say, I'm not a big fan of this style cabinet either. One of the biggest pains is that you ideally need two people to set it up or take it down. Also, in a row of games, that front shelf sticks out. In the case of my "Jungle", I'm going to leave it in it's correct box, but it's missing a lockdown bar, and those are pretty much unobtainium.
Your posting got me thinking, and I could make good use of the woodrail cabinet I just picked up, and save myself from having to locate a lockdown bar and getting an odd sized sheet of glass made. Plus, the game was made in woodrail form according to IPDB (just as Gottlieb's "Flipper").
Sean, I'm pretty sure Shay has a woodrail one. I'm going to ask him, and maybe try to get some photos of it if he does. I understand about serial numbers, etc and the game obviously would not be genuine. I've already crossed the line by switching cabinets between a "Gypsy Queen", and a "Guys Dolls", and I do like the result!

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I've already crossed the line by switching cabinets between a "Gypsy Queen", and a "Guys Dolls", and I do like the result!

Your cabinet switch is part of what got me thinking along these lines. Now to find an empty single player Williams woodrail cabinet in the Kansas City area.

#18 5 years ago

It's your game. Personally I think this cabinet is awesome. Part of the reason I hung onto to Jungle for so long. Just a big component in it's overall charm.

IPDB states this game had some production games in woodrail cabinets. It makes sense as it seems to be the first after Serenade, their last full production woodrail. I always thought it was neat that the styling of the 60s cabs still retained the woodrail arch as a carryover. Finding an example of an original woodrail Darts to mimic the paint scheme would make it a more interesting project.

#19 5 years ago

I'd make the switch. Looking forward to seeing photos of the one Shay has.

#20 5 years ago

Ah...I see it now - I went and looked at IPDB and didn't see it before I posted...but clearly wrong. Thanks!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#21 5 years ago

I just had an aha moment with the help of O-din. The cabinet of the sixties games have a slightly wider playfield than standard I believe. As JR already mentioned the glass is larger. Swapping into a standard cabinet may not be as easy as transferring everything over. I suspect playfield won't drop in without some serious modification.

#22 5 years ago

the playfield glass is wider , however i checked both my ten spot playfield and my jungle playfield and they are identical in size 20 1/2 inches by 42 inches . i think youll notice more trim on the sides of the SO60s cabinet that dictates the wider glass.

for those unaware of my interest i happen to own two tenspots. initially the ten spot was to be produced in the SO60s cab but production was done in their new squared cabinet. to me the artwork of the ten spot just screams to be in a SO60 cab , so im hoping to do so at some point.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=ten++spot&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2517

#24 5 years ago

I hope you keep it in the original cabinet. If you don't like it, sell it.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

My bad. Of course those games have a wooden upper arch, but a metal card tray (apron if it's wood; card tray if it's metal and removable). I heard from O-din too, and he thought maybe the playfield is wider. Glad to hear that it is not.

#26 5 years ago

Just for fun I measured the width of the playfield in my '57 Jig Saw. It's 20 3/16" wide x 42" long. A marginal difference. It may work, it may not.

#27 5 years ago

Just for the thrill of it, I dropped my Darts playfield into a Gottlieb World Fair cabinet to see and it went right in. I think a wood rail cab would be best though but I can’t find one close to KC. If anyone needs a lock down bar, I can probably fabricate one. I have the wood part of the lock down bar but not the top aluminum trim. It shouldn’t be too hard to bend one up in my finger brake.

91C6202C-7192-4865-B08D-135145CD6094 (resized).jpeg91C6202C-7192-4865-B08D-135145CD6094 (resized).jpeg

1EED864B-A865-4368-AC4A-8595F434B8E6 (resized).png1EED864B-A865-4368-AC4A-8595F434B8E6 (resized).png

688B677B-20ED-4014-883F-D36803B6A6F6 (resized).jpeg688B677B-20ED-4014-883F-D36803B6A6F6 (resized).jpeg

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Mpluff:

Just for the thrill of it, I dropped my Darts playfield into a Gottlieb World Fair cabinet to see and it went right in. I think a wood rail cab would be best though but I can’t find one close to KC. If anyone needs a lock down bar, I can probably fabricate one. I have the wood part of the lock down bar but not the top aluminum trim. It shouldn’t be too hard to bend one up in my finger brake.

I need a lockbar for World Fair. Do you have one to spare?

#29 5 years ago

No extra lock bar for WF. My WF is complete, I just have it apart for rebuild. I need a lower Apron for mine though, if you hear of one.

#30 5 years ago

I made a lock down bar for my darts machine. I had the original wood portion to pattern from. If anybody needs one, I can fabricate a complete one.

534F34D1-AD67-4ACD-8882-197549202BC9 (resized).jpeg534F34D1-AD67-4ACD-8882-197549202BC9 (resized).jpeg63F57E89-9E02-4572-96F9-D2FADC32897E (resized).jpeg63F57E89-9E02-4572-96F9-D2FADC32897E (resized).jpegF0444181-D4CC-4128-8CEB-85D8E778A3A1 (resized).jpegF0444181-D4CC-4128-8CEB-85D8E778A3A1 (resized).jpeg
1 year later
#31 4 years ago

I saw this old post and thought I'd add to it. I kept mine in the older shelf style cabinet, just to have the various styles of legs & types of machines.

I "home fashioned" an older lockdown bar, but would love to have one the looks that good and actually fit it (I wedged this one in pretty tight)

IMG_9981 (resized).jpgIMG_9981 (resized).jpgIMG_9983 (resized).jpgIMG_9983 (resized).jpg
1 year later
#32 2 years ago

Darts: Here is one with poor pictures for sale. No lock down bar. Pictures are so bad that it might be wood rail version or not.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/bridgewater/antique-pinball-machine/1595774508?undefined

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Darts: Here is one with poor pictures for sale. No lock down bar. Pictures are so bad that it might be wood rail version or not.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/bridgewater/antique-pinball-machine/1595774508?undefined

Definitely not the woodrail version.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-switching-a-cabinet?hl=nikrox2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.