Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Trooper11040
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3345 (resized).JPG
Gold_Tom.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

What are your guys thoughts. I got a TOM in May and I LOVE the theme and game. I'm a professional magician so it works for me. But something about TWD premium is attracting me to it. I'd love to own both but not sure i can afford a new game. Ugh decisions decisions. I figured I'd come to here and see your guys thoughts

#2 3 years ago

Selling something you love sounds like you would regret it in the future.

#3 3 years ago

One have one game, that's the problem. Doesn't matter which one that is, you will get bored. You need at least two for variety.

Maybe trade the Tom for a couple c or d machines.

#4 3 years ago

PM me if your selling. I'm looking for a TOM good luck in your decision.

#5 3 years ago

I wouldn't. IMO, you are more likely to find a TWD in the wild that you could play a bunch and decide if you want to save up for one. There's at least one on location in Harrisburg. Maybe a trip out there to play one for a few hours, and then do it again, will see if it's one you like enough to own.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/the_walking_dead/owners

#6 3 years ago

They are both great games. Only you will know which one you would like better.

I had a ToM for several years. While I liked it a lot, I was just getting a bit bored with it.

I sold it and filled its spot with a TWD Premium. So far I am very happy with the switch. TWD is a great game. A real adrenaline pumper. ToM was much more of a relaxing game.

I can't say which one is better - just different. I was finished with ToM after a few years so it worked for me.

Good luck.

#7 3 years ago

I love my TOM honestly. It's a great theme and a lot of fun to play. The game was a bit pricey since it was in such great condition when I got it. Playfield was perfect as was the cab. I just have that second game fever already

image.jpg

#8 3 years ago

Sounds like you really like TOM. TOM is going to be tough to replace and arguably the better game as well. I would just save up and wait for a good deal on a used TWD.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Sounds like you really like TOM. TOM is going to be tough to replace and arguably the better game as well. I would just save up and wait for a good deal on a used TWD.

Arguably. I played TOM a ton back when it was new. Not a keeper as far as I'm concerned. You can still pick up a clean TOM. TWD is my to pick for last 6 months. New code with one more update coming is a real kick in the ass to an already ass kicking game.

I've talked to a lot of folks about this title since it came out, none have disliked it after putting it in their collection so far.

Not one to promote artificial scarcity, but real scarcity in the future for this title is my prediction.

#10 3 years ago

Sounds like you're mixing pleasure with business. Go with TWD! (just talkin' smack, I've not owned either but used to play TOM back in the day)

#11 3 years ago

I love my ToM but have also considered a move to TWD. The biggest obstacle is my wife also loves the game. Played TWD at Pintastic and really liked it as well.

#12 3 years ago

I like TWD but in my opinion TOM > TWD. I'm on my second TOM as it was not that interesting in a 5 game line up but perfect in a 25 game line up, so take that for what you will.

-c

#13 3 years ago

You can always get a TWD on layaway, most good distributors would be willing to work on that with you.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I played TOM a ton back when it was new.

Same here! And it was fun to have in the collection for a while. But once gone, good riddance!

#15 3 years ago

My biggest obstacle is my wife allowing the 2nd game. She is a penny pincher and I'm a spender lol

#16 3 years ago

Your wife may get pissed if you get rid of ToM. Women seem to like this game.

#17 3 years ago

Trade her and get both pins. JK. Has she watched TWD series? My wife and I watched it 6 months ago from start to current. She loves the show and we bought TWD Premium for her....

#18 3 years ago

Just sneak the other one in there and when she questions you, say "It's Magic".

#19 3 years ago

Twd pro is not good and the voices they use are terrible not even close

#20 3 years ago

TOM is a great location game. Simple easy to follow rules and lots of toys and flow. I don't think it's a very good game to own unless you have a big collection. It gets old quick. TWD premium or LE both have more staying power in my opinion.

#21 3 years ago

Guys, I love TOM and always have but do not own one but would love too. I have played a TOM a lot over the years. I have a neighbor that has a new TWDLE and that is an awesome game to look at and play, love the flow and thoroughly enjoy playing it.

That is a tough call IMO.

Good Luck!

#22 3 years ago

Don 't get rid of TOM...you will regret it especially since you are a magician. Wait and save up for the 2nd.

#23 3 years ago

Theatre is beautiful and purply. Walking Dead is...brownish. Don't do it.

#24 3 years ago

Wise decision, if it's a premium or LE!

#25 3 years ago

I would only do it if I was getting a premium or LE...I wouldn't buy the pro. I like the extras and think they are worth it

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I'm a professional magician so it works for me.

When I opened this I was going to say: get TWD without question, much better and deeper game. But with your profession and the fact that the theme calls to you I would not trade the TOM.

#27 3 years ago

For collectibility TOM wins hands down. However in a one game "collection" it would get really really old. Owned and sold TOM and its the only game I've sold that I don't regret. If u had a bigger collection, both TWD and TOM would be a nice combo. But for a single game TWD will give you longer playability and has more of that "one more game", player vs machine thing going on.

#28 3 years ago

I owned a high end ToM. The game didn't last long.
I think it's rules are very lacking. It could have been so much more.
TWD is great getting better with each code update.
Theme isn't everything. I mean if you're a huge baseball fan are you really going to own a Frank Thomas Big Hurt?
There are too many games out there to get hung up on one for theme alone. If you can really only afford to have one at a time, then rotate them in and out. There's like 4k ToMs out there. If you end up missing yours immensely down the road, it won't be that hard to find a nice one again.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Don 't get rid of TOM...you will regret it especially since you are a magician. Wait and save up for the 2nd.

I second this. ToM is a classic, and the one you have is a beautiful example. If you can wait 'til you're able to get second game next to it, you will enjoy it all the more.

Don't listen to those saying ToM doesn't last in a collection. That's their opinion. Just like mine is that TWD is an awful looking and sounding game 20 years since it was made and many people still want a ToM, some even after owning the game before...don't become one of those people

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I second this. ToM is a classic, and the one you have is a beautiful example. If you can wait 'til you're able to get second game next to it, you will enjoy it all the more.
Don't listen to those saying ToM doesn't last in a collection. That's their opinion. Just like mine is that TWD is an awful looking and sounding game 20 years since it was made and many people still want a ToM, some even after owning the game before...don't become one of those people

Game sounds great with the custom call outs that take nothing more then a software update to install. It's certainly not a pretty game but I don't know how you make a game about a zombie apocalypse pretty and still hit the theme. Personally I really like the LE cabinet and armor. The playfield is OK, not great but not bad.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Game sounds great with the custom call outs that take nothing more then a software update to install. It's certainly not a pretty game but I don't know how you make a game about a zombie apocalypse pretty and still hit the theme. Personally I really like the LE cabinet and armor. The playfield is OK, not great but not bad.

TWD really is a love it or hate it design. On location I can see frustration and confusion after 3 ball drains quick and boom! You're out .50 cents.

Still having a blast since last Oct and with custom updated voices, just wow.

TOM is ok, I mean it's no top 10 for me, but that's just like, my opinion man.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Selling something you love sounds like you would regret it in the future.

Not necessarily, but possible.

I have sold many pins that I absolutely love, but don't regret selling them as I had them for quite awhile and played the crap out of them. Basically you still really like the pin, but you don't play it nearly as much because as great as it is, it feels like "been there, done that."

After all this time, I'm still someone who loves having a new pin.

#33 3 years ago

Keep TOM. Look for Pinball Magic, Sorcerer, Mystic, Hokus Pokus etc. As a magician that's what I did. Of course I added Scared Stiff, Elvira and Addams Family for fun.

#34 3 years ago

TOM us the machine that really pulled me back in to pinball. As wonderful as that machine us in every way, the objectives are straight forward. Twd provides excellent shot layout and a whole lot more strategic thinking. So much more to do in twd. The better choice in a one game collection

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

you are a magician.

I am the Egyptian magician.

#36 3 years ago

I have a TWD Pro from a trade. It has the updated custom software with all the voices/music from the show. Its way cool, like a whole new game! And I changed the translight art with the orginal cast from the show. Adding a shaker this weekend!

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

#37 3 years ago

Keep that TOM Trooper11040 and make room for a second pin. I just got my TOM and it sits right next to my Star Trek Premium...both machines will never leave this house unless I can't afford to keep them. TOM may be an easy game, but once it's gone you will want it back. TOM just has that certain charm that makes you smile when you plunge that ball! TWD will be all over the place for trades soon enough. You should be able to get one used at a decent price to satisfy the wife. I never thought I would own 2 pins...now I do and looking for a 3rd. This hobby is brutal on the marriage and wallet, lol.

#38 3 years ago

she told me if i brought another one home, she would break it with a bat haha...she's brutal lol

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Don 't get rid of TOM...you will regret it especially since you are a magician.

I'm a magician and I got rid of mine. Don't miss it one bit.

To each his own.

#40 3 years ago

Both. Save your money, ease her into it, and be patient.

Stern usually releases a new game in a couple months, and with more coming, some good deals should start showing up.

Finding a great TOM, and being in the industry.....How Wonderful!

#41 3 years ago

I've been trying..lol..tonight i was walking with her and the kids...i put my arm around her...right away she said..why are you trying to butter me up hahahaha...she's a smart girl

#42 3 years ago

she told me if i brought another one home, she would break it with a bat haha...she's brutal lol

Make her disappear.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I'm a magician and I got rid of mine.

Was that in one of your routines?

#44 3 years ago

I've been trying..lol..tonight i was walking with her and the kids...i put my arm around her...right away she said..why are you trying to butter me up hahahaha...she's a smart girl

Sounds like you're already half way there.

I found going from 1 to 2 was hardest to convince my wife. There was another roadbump at about 5. Now we've both agreed on 11.......for now at least.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Was that in one of your routines?

It came close.

#46 3 years ago

Geting rid of TOM for TWD, is a no brainer..., Especially if you have had TOM for some time. Do the deal.

#47 3 years ago

TWD is deep deep deep, excels in home use, has a bazillion mods and tweaks available, and is coded by lyman/god. It has a lot going for it.

I'd consider thinking outside the box. Find a friend to sell your TOM to for 1/2 price, with the stipulation he has to sell it back to you whenever you want it for the same price. Get the wife to miss the game, and you then can get it back easily. You can win bonus points for making it sound difficult to get back as well.

#48 3 years ago

my ultimate goal would obviously be to have both next to one another....i will just need to save some money i guess...i need another job haha

#49 3 years ago

I was in this similar situation a few years ago when I started. ToM was my first game, and I wanted more! However considering how expensive it is, buying another expensive one is a huge move. I traded a 60-in-1 cocktail I made for a Gottlieb Gladiators and went from there! There are still deals to be had and great games you can get for (relatively) cheap, just save in the meantime and be a craigslist pro 24/7.

#50 3 years ago

I like to refresh what pins I have. So I would get the TWD.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 9.95
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.95
8,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Romeoville, IL
$ 50.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside