DSCN0232_(resized).JPG
DSCN0231_(resized).JPG
DSCN0230_(resized).JPG
DSCN0229_(resized).JPG
DSCN0228_(resized).JPG
DSCN0227_(resized).JPG
DSCN0226_(resized).JPG
DSCN0225_(resized).JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I have a HEP TAF (2009 restoration) that has now been sold to make room for a TWD LE/Premium. The link below shows photos throughout the restoration process.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album26

My TAF has an NOS playfield that Chris clear coated and a chrome lock down bar and side rails. The cabinet was also replaced with a new cabinet from Doug Huse.

http://www.letsplaypinball.com/

I currently have 12 pinball machines in my collection and have taken a fancy to TWD which is why I have sold my HEP TAF to make room for a TWD premium. I am space constrained in my game room and 12 is pretty much the limit and TAF seems to get the least amount of play so it made the most sense to move.

Any comments regarding the value of my HEP TAF vs. a TWD premium are welcome.

Gord

DSCN0215_(resized).JPGDSCN0215_(resized).JPG
DSCN0216_(resized).JPGDSCN0216_(resized).JPG
DSCN0218_(resized).JPGDSCN0218_(resized).JPG
DSCN0219_(resized).JPGDSCN0219_(resized).JPG
DSCN0220_(resized).JPGDSCN0220_(resized).JPG
DSCN0236_(resized).JPGDSCN0236_(resized).JPG
DSCN0231_(resized).JPGDSCN0231_(resized).JPG
DSCN0226_(resized).JPGDSCN0226_(resized).JPG
DSCN0228_(resized).JPGDSCN0228_(resized).JPG
DSCN0224_(resized).JPGDSCN0224_(resized).JPG
DSCN0223_(resized).JPGDSCN0223_(resized).JPG
DSCN0230_(resized).JPGDSCN0230_(resized).JPG
DSCN0229_(resized).JPGDSCN0229_(resized).JPG
DSCN0238_(resized).JPGDSCN0238_(resized).JPG
DSCN0240_(resized).JPGDSCN0240_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

TWD premiums are hard to find as Stern still not yet made another run. I you wanted until a few months, a better deal.could VE made your way as supply is tight on TWD for now.

I have 9500 in my HEP TAF from 2013

#3 8 years ago

Plenty of twdle around and im sure you cld trade taf for one . Twd is so much fun and don't believe you would regret it .

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep them coming.

Gord

#5 8 years ago

I personally feel TAF is a better gameplay value, as with many other Williams titles.

#6 8 years ago

I would keep Addams family, you shure have a nice one

#7 8 years ago

Keep your Addams, still have mine after 10 years and love it. Never got into TWD, wasn't bad, wasn't great.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Gord

Really it comes down to whether you'll miss TAF or not. I wouldn't think of it as getting rid of TAF for TWD...just think of gaining some liquid assets. Then you can sell TWD for a GB or whatever else down the line.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I personally feel TAF is a better gameplay value, as with many other Williams titles.

You know I use to think id never own a stern and I was strictly a w/b guy. I really loved met and got a good deal on a nib and absolutely love it and said that be the only stern ever in my house. Well next thing you know a walking dead premium made its way in and its amazingly done and my favorite . I also am selling my cftbl to get a imve . I love the fun nature and simple rules of the older pins but man the new ones just are fast , fun and have amazing depth to keep you occupied for a long long time. Id say variety is the spice of life .

#10 8 years ago

I could be way in the wrong here, but wouldn't a trade for a TWD Prem be the game + cash? I can't imagine a HEP TAF being the same value as a TWD Prem.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I could be way in the wrong here, but wouldn't a trade for a TWD Prem be the game + cash? I can't imagine a HEP TAF being the same value as a TWD Prem.

that would make two of us (being wrong).

Good luck to the OP in making a decision, should a trade opportunity be presented.

#12 8 years ago

TWD Prems were on the line last week. Keep TAF and buy TWD.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Gord

Just sell the POS to me, G!!

#14 8 years ago

Added several high resolution photos.

Gord

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Added several high resolution photos.
Gord

You had me until I saw the target decals.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just sell the POS to me, G!!

Hi Bryan,

Now what would you do with 2 TAFs in your house? LOL, try to explain that one to Deb that you need another TAF.

Gord

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You had me until I saw the target decals.

Oh come on now, I know that you secretly love target decals.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Bryan,
Now what would you do with 2 TAFs in your house? LOL, try to explain that one to Deb that you need another TAF.
Gord

I DON'T have one at my house. It's at my son's house. It's one of his favorites, but mine is more of a players game. I wouldn't mind upgrading....although a HEP is maybe a little too much upgrading. lol

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Oh come on now, I know that you secretly love target decals.

I hated every single one I put on every single game I did for you!!! Every single one!!!

#20 8 years ago

Love my TWD LE, the rules and game play is awesome when the machine is dialed in and I admit it does take a little more effort to dial in the TWD's vs W/B machines. With that being said my TAF is long gone and everyone is playing the hell out of TWD, no sale regrets here.

#21 8 years ago

I get where you're coming from when you only have room for 12, Gord. You buy one, one has to go. When this happened to me, I'd go downstairs and ask myself, which one do I play the least? That's the one that went. If it happens to be TAF, so be it.

I've played TWD and found it to be quite fun. There's always another TAF around the corner.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You know I use to think id never own a stern and I was strictly a w/b guy. I really loved met and got a good deal on a nib and absolutely love it and said that be the only stern ever in my house. Well next thing you know a walking dead premium made its way in and its amazingly done and my favorite . I also am selling my cftbl to get a imve . I love the fun nature and simple rules of the older pins but man the new ones just are fast , fun and have amazing depth to keep you occupied for a long long time. Id say variety is the spice of life .

I was the same when I got into the hobby around 2 years ago. Stern pins paled in comparison and thought I would never spend that much money on a pin. Once I gave them a chance, I realized some of them were flat out fun. I got a ST and thought that would be my one Stern pin. Now I want a MET and could see myself getting more Stern pins. Not only do they have deep rules but they are very reliable and fun to mod. I would love to have a TAF, especially one that nice. However, I can see it getting old with hitting ramp/chair over and over. TWD is not my favorite Stern but if you like it and don't play TAF, why not?

#23 8 years ago

I just picked up TWD Prem and loving it. Like everyone else I'm finding more and more Sterns in my line-up. That said there are a few B/W's I swear I will never part with.........hoping I don't eat my words down the line!

#24 8 years ago

Nothing wrong with 2 Addams..

nbafb_(resized).JPGnbafb_(resized).JPG

#25 8 years ago

This is pretty much a no-brainer.

#26 8 years ago

TWD Premium, one of the most overrated pins on Pinside.

As far as the value of your TAF, it's a tough to call some of those older HEPs as he has evolved a bit since then. I bought and sold a fairly modded out "blacked out" HEP that was restored in 2014. I paid and sold it for 13k, I was 2nd owner. I believe the original owner had about 15-16k into it.

Id guess your 2009 HEP TAF is somewhere between 8500-9500.

#27 8 years ago

Don't know why you need that TV. Seems like there is clearly room for one more game

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Don't know why you need that TV. Seems like there is clearly room for one more game

I'm thinking he dumps the pool table and adds a row of pins...

#29 8 years ago

I don't know if you're looking for offers or opinions. But I would not trade an all-time classic with all of the nostalgia, charm, and cool features that you could ever hope for and one that you could never replace at that, for a lifeless, soul-less, humorless Stern TWD Premium that has simply made its way onto the Pinside hype train.

#30 8 years ago

People seem to love TAF but I got bored of it pretty quick.

TWD premium really is an adrenalin game from the get go - one of Stern's best ever games for sure.

#31 8 years ago

I'm guessing you could sell the TAF for $9000-$10,000. TWD Premiums are being run again right now and can be had for $6500-ish.

Your TAF is really special. TWD is certainly worth owning. Only you can decide whether you're ready to sell the TAF.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

for a lifeless, soul-less, humorless Stern TWD Premium that has simply made its way onto the Pinside hype train.

I'm not a Stern fan by any means but this statement is so far from the truth. It's great to keep things that are nostalgic however these aren't fireplace mantle trophies and they do take up quite a bit of real-estate so if they aren't being played any longer like they used too or just gotten bored with it, move it along and enjoy something new.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I'm not a Stern fan by any means but this statement is so far from the truth. It's great to keep things that are nostalgic however these aren't fireplace mantle trophies and they do take up quite a bit of real-estate so if they aren't being played any longer like they used too or just gotten bored with it, move it along and enjoy something new.

No doubt. I don't keep games around very long, so I know that what you say is true. This is what happens when you only keep one or two games at a time. But TAF is in a league unto itself. It really ushered in the 90's W/B era. And because of TAF, it came in with quite a bang.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

a lifeless, soul-less, humorless Stern TWD Premium that has simply made its way onto the Pinside hype train.

very very much disagreement. gameplay is top notch. and it's really fun to say "you got bit" A LOT.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Id guess your 2009 HEP TAF is somewhere between 8500-9500.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm guessing you could sell the TAF for $9000-$10,000. TWD Premiums are being run again right now and can be had for $6500-ish.
Your TAF is really special. TWD is certainly worth owning. Only you can decide whether you're ready to sell the TAF.

Thank you all very much for your input and pricing guidelines for this TAF. It is much appreciated. Now onto another question, is it possible to find a TWD LE which is NIB?

I am sort of going back and forth between wanting a TWD Premium and TWD LE, but it is not easy to find an LE that is NIB. If anyone has any leads on a TWD LE that is NIB or if someone has a TWD LE that is really nice let me know.

Is the LE worth getting over the Premium model?

Gord

#37 8 years ago

Yup thats a nice addams, ones that nice are few and far between, Ive seen restored addams sell for just over 8k, so make sure you get at least a few grand with the trade.

#38 8 years ago

Too bad you do not want a Boss mustang.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Your dilemma is carbon copy of mine - it's getting to a point where tough choices need to be made. You need to decide which "keepers" are no longer going to be "kept".

I dont think the LE is worth getting over the Prem. Premium looks fantastic, and I always think the later Stern runs are better. Wait for a current run TWD Prem.

However I would personally not move that HEP TAF. B/W games of that standard seem to be getting harder and harder to find - they're sitting with collectors and not being sold.

Assuming the issue is not $, are you sure there are no other games in your collection you would move first? Seems to be a few listed that would be easier to replace than a HEP TAF.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

The differences are the mirrored backglass, cabinet artwork, upgraded cabinet armor and collector value. IMO the LE has the best cabinet and backglass. The Premium cabinet is the same as the Pro, but with the red background switched to a green background. The Pro backglass is mostly black and white, where the LE is similar but colored in with the mirroring used for a broken glass effect. The playfield is the same on Premium or LE.

#41 8 years ago

dup

#42 8 years ago

LE vs. Premium is definitely personal preference. I've owned both.

LE:

Has "mirrored" backglass, but it's when Stern went cheap on the technique. It's not as stunning from a mirrored perspective as say an ACDC LE or a Xmen LE backglass. Also the TWD backglass is IDENTICAL to the Pro version image source wise, which doesn't do much for it IMO for being an LE.

LE has high quality decals, not the typical thin vinyl stuff found on Sterns. It has more of a matte finish, but the thickness and feel of the decals feels nice.

Premium:

Hands down the better art package, while it mirrors the same art on the Pro cab, the green color scheme is nice IMO.

The Premium has the usual thin decals. They are glossy and look nice though.

Premium has a translite that actually has a specific theme/episodes from the show with the Governor's fish tanks. While it's a lot of fish tanks, I like how it fits the green theme.

#43 8 years ago

I would not do it. TAF is so much better. You even have a HEP. Keep it and don't look back.

#44 8 years ago

TAF isn't even close for me. Never could get into it. TWD is a great pin

I still wouldn't get rid of a Hep pin though. I'd sell one of the others.

#45 8 years ago

OP, you've been in the hobby for a long time, have a nice collection, and know what you want. It makes total sense to sell your least used pin to get something new in. Everything is replaceable in this hobby and change is the spice of life.

WRT TWD LE, the translite has some differences from pro which really stand out.
twd-translite-backglass.jpgtwd-translite-backglass.jpg

The le cab/translite artwork really stands out in person compared to the pics. Generally here from what I've read most prefer the le art. If art is important to you seriously consider the le and try to see one in person. If not the prem is fine and it has its art fans.

I thought I read about someone getting a nib le recently, a few distributors may still have them. Perhaps someone can chime in, or some phone calls are in order.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I DON'T have one at my house. It's at my son's house. It's one of his favorites, but mine is more of a players game. I wouldn't mind upgrading....although a HEP is maybe a little too much upgrading. lol

You could contact Bryan Kelly and see what he would charge you to restore the "players game" that you already have... I've heard he isn't cheap or pleasant to deal with, but I guess he knows a thing or two about restorations.

Brad

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

TWD le translite has some differences from pro which really stand out.

Click on the image of the 2 translites to zoom in - Stern really took the life out of the backglass on the pro by making all the zombies black and white.

#48 8 years ago

I own a mint TAFG and would never sell it. Same would go for a HEP TAF- I would hold on to that beauty forever. Personally, I find Addams one of those pins I keep going back to and really enjoying.
Now in saying that, I would definitely add a TWD premium. With the new code, this pin is amazing. It's a challenging but a really fun immersive experience; and is right up there with both MET and ACDC premiums.
Try to keep the HEP TAF and add the TWD premium from the new run being made now.
I think you're getting the best of both worlds by keeping both.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Click on the image of the 2 translites to zoom in - Stern really took the life out of the backglass on the pro by making all the zombies black and white.

Yes, waay more detail. And even the red palm print is pretty much not seen in the pro translite because of the limited color use as well as the resultant lack of contrast.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Thank you all very much for your input and pricing guidelines for this TAF. It is much appreciated. Now onto another question, is it possible to find a TWD LE which is NIB?
I am sort of going back and forth between wanting a TWD Premium and TWD LE, but it is not easy to find an LE that is NIB. If anyone has any leads on a TWD LE that is NIB or if someone has a TWD LE that is really nice let me know.
Gord

Personally, I think the Premium looks the best, especially if you get the green armor from Pinball Refinery. Better yet, just buy a Refinery Edition Premium. I think they still have some.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fs-refinery-edition-twd-premiums

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 8.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-selling-hep-taf-and-getting-twd-premium/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.