(Topic ID: 296639)

Thinking of relocating to Las Vegas, how's life there ?

By adol75

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210712_224521419 (resized).jpg
    4E9BCA4D-109C-4384-A373-723DE7437844 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210725-193357_Gallery (resized).jpg
    nest (resized).jpg
    68B9C30D-021B-4ED4-BB40-6FA760497016 (resized).jpeg
    D38763B9-C00D-45E8-9C59-71109263DAF6 (resized).png
    DF5D1249-C9C1-4F01-8A23-73ACD107474F (resized).jpeg
    2231F1D8-9BEC-41E9-90ED-E85735AB1651 (resized).jpeg
    3EC004E5-90C6-491B-A716-58E13657A2A7 (resized).png
    20210507_224010 (resized).jpg
    20210510_180204 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    20210704_230444 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_024705424 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210713_234922160 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_000815089 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

After half a decade in the Bay Area, we are thinking of relocating to Vegas, either Henderson or Summerlin. One of the driver is the cost of living, but I'm also excited about the lower taxes, the sunny life, even the hot weather
    We are a family of 4, so also considering schools wether public or private.
    My wife and I both work remotely, so jobs isn't a concern it's really about the quality of life and the joy of living mortage free.
    I'd be interested to hear from Pinsiders living there, is it a good life ? Is it safe ? Do you end up going to the strip a lot or live there almost as if it doesn't exist ? What about snakes, the heat, the dry lands ? I'll take any feedback I only go there for work and once on a while to party but outside of the strip I haven't seen much
    Thanks !

Until the drought/water situation is resolved, there's no way I'd move there. Hoover dam water level may soon be too low to generate power, and if that happens, LV is SCREWED. Way too risky right now.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

The thing that we face in the West is too many people and not enough water to go around. Now if you start talking desalination....

Yeah, THAT is one thing I do not get. We're spending 100 billion on a high speed rail system to bakersfield that's barely faster than a conventional train when that money is WAY better spent on a number of desalination plants at the north end of the state, then send the water down the state through the rivers and aquaducts to terraform the state and create a microclimate to offset the temperature changes. Everyone whines about the salt byproduct. Pair each desalination plant with a thorium reactor that runs on molten salt. Problem solved.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I've always been facinated by the lives of carnies. That would make a great tv series.

HBO did it. Carnivale. There have been others, too.

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Move to Wisconsin. Yeah, Winters are cold, but that is only for 8 months of the year.

And 6 of those months you're on the toilet, constipated from the embarrassment of cheese riches you're surrounded with.

#140 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Carpinteria is another such town I've been told is great. Never been there myself, but it's a chill beach town for those that want to be further away from it all. Probably not good for the op though who was looking for more of a party town. Ventura is also nice, I used to work there many a moon ago right near the beach, used to walk to the beach most every lunch for fish tacos and just chill.

Yeah, but is Oxnard still harshing the Ventura buzz? I grew up around there and Oxnard was a rough place.

Then again, to the north of Ventura you have Santa Barbara, which is amazing.

#142 2 years ago

Don't know much about Oxnard, only really went there for the now defunct Frys and to renew my green card every ten years. Santa Barbara though is awesome.

Yeah, basically you have Oxnard to the south of Ventura, and Santa Barbara to the north of Ventura. No cities could be more opposite. (Also, my aunt/uncle and cousins have been in Thousand Oaks since forever - technically Newbury Park, but I think it may have been absorbed into Thousand Oaks at some point.)

1 week later
    #146 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Why are you intolerant of people with different viewpoints than yours?
    Please answer on behalf of everybody in Nevada.

That's such a Skateball thing to say.

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

We just had a home invasion…kicked in doors…smashed windows…and cleaned out a lifetime of possessions including vehicles.
    So yes, I hate Ca. and feel myself loathing this state more and more each day
    But hey, the weather is great!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That sucks. There's bad areas in every state. Where was this?

We had some petty thefts in our neighborhood (people left their garages open because everyone knows everyone). We never got hit, but didn't wait for it. We outfitted with prominent, visible auto-tracking PTZ cameras with full color night sensitivity (no black and white night vision crap), that was the end of it. Every house within sight of our cameras didn't get hit again. It's been a few years now. Best investment ever, and way better than those crap 20 cameras! costco setups.

#167 2 years ago

Our area is very safe but regardless we put Google Nest cameras all over the outside, and we have Google Home devices inside. The inside devices know when we're not home via our phones not being on the local wifi and then will start recording indoors automatically. The outdoor cams record all the time, and it's all recorded to the clould so there is no recorder box to steal. We can also monitor all the cameras from anywhere in the world which is a nice peace of mind, and we get alerts to movement or people which is also great. Also have the Google Nest doorbell which alerts when packages are dropped, when packages are picked up, when someone is at the door, and we can even remotely talk to them via a speaker on the doorbell from anywhere in the world.

I won't have Google/Nest anything because of the privacy abuses and generally low quality of the outdoor surveillance cameras. When google is sneaking microphones into Nest smoke detectors and saying it's a "mistake" when caught, that is not a trustworthy company.

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

In my neighborhood, I was one of the first people to install surveillance cameras several years ago. I installed an analog system myself, with no assistance except my wife. At first, I used 1080P cameras and they were pretty good. Later, I upgraded to 4K analog cameras and they are awesome. The decreased cost of an analog system with coax cable instead of Internet protocol cameras is significant. My thought is that if a criminal does something on my lot, I will have an excellent video of them doing it. Also, criminals will see the 10 cameras I have all around my house, pointing in every direction and go to the next house if they want to conduct a robbery and don't want to be caught. I have been in contact with local law enforcement and they have come to get recorded video from my equipment to help solve 3 crimes in my neighborhood that were down the street from my house in various directions.

At least with your system you control what law enforcement gets, and they have to ask. With Amazon and Google/Nest, ALL of it is available to law enforcement without your permission.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

That is correct and I do not have to pay for any cloud services. I have a 10TB drive that records everything near my house that overwrites about every 30 days or so. I even put 4 additional cameras in my attic to record my HVAC unit, water heater and power vent fans to see that everything is working normally. I can monitor all the cameras from my computer or from a phone app. If someone walks by my house, drives by my house or is even in the general area, I will have a 4K video recording of them.

Are you using an NVR? Because all of them are backdoored by China. Mine is offline, local to the house, and I take the HDMI out to a broadcast net box and make THAT video feed available to the internet for phone access. That way there's no control over the NVR unit remotely using backdoors.

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from avspin:

I use Open VPN through my ASUS router. I have 27 cameras around my home. Not paranoid but need redundancy. 20TB recording 24/7 with motion alerts to my phone. I like to watch the bears.
    https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/vpn-primer-for-noobs.14601/

ASUS routers are very zero-day'd/backdoored, so depending on what model and what firmware you have, the VPN may not matter.

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I have a DVR with 16 analog channels and 2 Internet protocol channels, which I connected to doorbell cameras on my front and back doors.
    My unit was manufactured in China and I purchased it on Ebay, along with the camera power supply, cable, connectors, etc, etc.
    It is difficult enough for me to access the unit with the security required with IDs and passwords and such.

That is to make you feel better. The coded backdoors are not hard to access for the ones that want to get in.

Quoted from Dent00:

However, when they did want video from my unit, a flash drive was provided by the officer on the investigation for me to place video on his drive we he came by to visit.

The officer asked that I create a folder for my videos on his drive and he had MANY folders on his drive already for other places that he had also visited.
    So, this is a normal crime fighting strategy for officers to acquire video at the scene of a crime.
    I am guessing that most of those videos come from commercial business crime.

That's pretty much how it was when they wanted video off ours, too.

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Is that a bad thing? I don't put cameras inside my home, so I would welcome police to look at my outside footage all they want to keep my neighborhood safer.

It's about consent. You want my footage, you need to ask.

#199 2 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Oh they ask, it's in the terms of service you sign

Yeah, I read those and that's not asking. That's telling. No thanks.

#206 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

The few stories where police screw up,

You have this wrong. Police "screw up" a LOT, but relatively few cases become national news. We had a ton of ridiculous police stuff happen around here, like raping prisoners on the way to the jail and shooting little dogs for no reason (no threat) that never became national news, but were still "screw ups" that are unfortunately pretty common. Police accountability in the form of a licensing board and actual training regimen so they're like doctors is really needed. Lose your police license, you can't just move to another city and start screwing up again, you're out of the police game. There's a core of bad actors that keep screwing up that make the general police pool look incredibly bad. But no one knows how big that core is. 20%? 30%? 50%? No one knows.

#211 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

LMAO! Sorry dude you just lost all credibility right there. Those numbers maybe apply in Mexico. The only people that would actually believe those numbers are criminals and those easily influenced, protesting-type, 20-something year olds.

Well, the fact that NO ONE KNOWS pretty much means NO ONE KNOWS. I can't lose credibility when you can't point to a detailed study spelling it out. It's not been studied rigorously at even the county level nationwide, let alone all the cities in the USA, and police unions would fight tooth an nail to make sure it stays that way. We only know what little we know because of reporters following these "bad cops" as they pull up stakes and be bad somewhere else with no authority there to make sure that doesn't happen.

#227 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

You sound more and more ridiculous with every post. Just because "no one knows" doesn't mean you have the green light to spout nonsense, unless you don't care how ridiculous you sound. "No one knows" how many Pinsiders are alcoholics, but it would be way stupid and ridiculous to come here and say that I believe 50% of Pinsiders are alcoholics and justify my statement because "no one really knows" the true numbers. With such a ridiculous statement, I would quickly lose my credibility here and probably put on ignore by many Pinsiders. Good gawd, how old are you, dude?

I didn't say any such thing. I posed a question, and a discerning reader would know that the 50% was obvious hyperbole, as was CLEAR from the non-linear progression of questioned percentages. Note that it started wondering about 20%, then 30% then jumped straight to 50%. AND in the same paragraph I was still saying NO ONE KNOWS. These are not hard English constructs for the average native speaker to understand, but somehow you missed it completely.

All we DO know is the real number of bad cops is NOT ZERO, as you posit. That's all that matters. But NO ONE KNOWS the actual percentage of bad cops out there, except that it's a nonzero number.

Got it?

#229 2 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

HAHAHA serious backtracking there huh? At least you're starting to understand how ridiculous your statement was. Good job! AND (since we're using caps lol) I never said zero. You're something else, man.

No backtracking there. I didn't change the content of my post AT ALL. I just helped you how to read and understand what you were reading, which you seemed to have difficulty with.

My PERSONAL estimate of bad cops percentage is 10-20%, but that's just a guess based on reporting following bad cops from area to area. NO ONE KNOWS the real number and police unions are happy to do everything they can to keep it that way, but it's enough that there's no way "police has always been the cleanest profession in the nation" as you asserted.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-relocating-to-las-vegas-how-s-life-there-?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.