(Topic ID: 296639)

Thinking of relocating to Las Vegas, how's life there ?

By adol75

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210712_224521419 (resized).jpg
    4E9BCA4D-109C-4384-A373-723DE7437844 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210725-193357_Gallery (resized).jpg
    nest (resized).jpg
    68B9C30D-021B-4ED4-BB40-6FA760497016 (resized).jpeg
    D38763B9-C00D-45E8-9C59-71109263DAF6 (resized).png
    DF5D1249-C9C1-4F01-8A23-73ACD107474F (resized).jpeg
    2231F1D8-9BEC-41E9-90ED-E85735AB1651 (resized).jpeg
    3EC004E5-90C6-491B-A716-58E13657A2A7 (resized).png
    20210507_224010 (resized).jpg
    20210510_180204 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    20210704_230444 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_024705424 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210713_234922160 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_000815089 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 2 years ago

Seattle/Pacific NW (where I live) has become increasingly hotter and dryer over the past 22 years that I've lived here.

Doesn't bode well for the Southwest and all who live there and require water.

Just sayin'.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

This is just not true.[quoted image]

Sorry, I'm apparently hallucinating about record temperatures, extended drought conditions, smoky air from wildfires, and trees dying due to global related causes.

Nothing to worry about here in the Pac NW.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from jchristian11:

What does that have to do with your blatantly false statement?

First off, it wasn't false. The average annual temperature in Seattle has increased in the 20+ years I've lived here. Dryness is affected by many more climate factors than simple average annual precipitation amounts - such as evapotranspiration rates and to what degree the snowpack melts and is therefore available as a water source later in the summer.

What it has to do is simple: global warming is having an adverse effect on the world's climate in ways and to degrees that we're just beginning to discover. Locations that are already water challenged and continuing to grow - such as Las Vegas - are going to face even tougher water restrictions in the future. Along with increasing extreme heat, something to consider if you're looking into moving there.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Well, we all know this is a false statement since the earth is flat and not a globe...

Well - you got me there.

#60 2 years ago

Speaking of which ... "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Ay yi yi

#79 2 years ago

Your statement was proven false by real data, not someone waving their arms around claiming they're smarter than you. Let's see your data showing that it's drier in Seattle over the last 22 years. I'll wait.

What do I know - I just live here. Drier summers (for example) have contributed to more Pacific NW wildfires and the the now common occurrence of severe smoky days in the summer are one obvious result.

As I pointed out in my earlier post, annual precipitation amounts only tell part of the story and can be misleading. The distribution of rain thoughout the year and how it affects the snowpack (Puget sound has mountains to the east and west) plays a big part in determining summer dryness. Seattle and the Pacific Northwest have been experiencing shifting rainfall patterns - more in the winter and less in the summer than in the past. And this trend is expected to continue due to global warming.

Here you go with a few quick examples of readily available info:

https://www.climatehotmap.org/global-warming-locations/ross-dam-wa-usa.html

"What the Future Holds
    As temperatures in the Northwest continue to rise this century, scientists expect snowpack to decline further. In the Cascades, the amount of snow on April 1 may drop as much as 40 percent by the 2040s.

Peak spring runoff is also projected to continue to occur earlier—20 to 40 days earlier by the end of the century, under a business-as-usual emissions path. The more water flows out of the mountains earlier, the less is left to flow in summer—particularly as summer precipitation also declines in a warming climate. On the western slopes of the Cascades, runoff between April and September is projected to decline by 30 percent or more by mid-century."

https://www.seattle.gov/utilities/protecting-our-environment/community-programs/climate-change/projected-changesExtreme
    "Precipitation
    Rainfall is expected to become more intense in many parts of the world, including the Pacific Northwest. However, the magnitude of change in Seattle has been difficult to model because of the complex terrain that surrounds us, among other factors. In addition, historical observations only slightly indicate increased rainfall intensities. That said, Seattle has experienced a fair share of extreme weather events in recent years, and SPU is exploring how to better prepare for the potential of more extreme events.

Extreme Heat
    Not typically associated with heat, Seattle has averaged only a handful of 90 degree (F) days per year during the past few decades. By the end of this century, such events are expected to become more common, with more than two weeks of 90 degree (F) days likely each summer. Also certain to increase are nighttime temperatures and humidity. Increased temperatures will likely increase water demand, which SPU feels it can address through its comprehensive water conservation program.

Hydrology
    Pacific Northwest winters are projected to become warmer and wetter, and summers warmer and drier. That means more rain than snow falling on the Cascade Mountains and eventually more prolonged periods of drought. It also likely means changing forests, stressed salmon habitat, and even wildfires. SPU has assessed potential impacts to our water supply and identified some adaptation options and is committed to updating these assessments and options periodically and researching related issues as needed."

#82 2 years ago

What you provided is not a trend nor real "data."
    "As temperatures in the Northwest continue to rise this century, scientists expect snowpack to decline further."
    "By the end of this century, such events are expected..."
    "Pacific Northwest winters are projected to become warmer and wetter, and summers warmer and drier."
    Here's one of the expert predictions from 2000, I wonder why anyone would show skepticism...
    "WARMISTS PREDICTED NO SNOW. INSTEAD, RECORD FALLS"
    For 20 years, global warming alarmists warned snow would vanish: "Children just aren’t going to know what snow is." Here's what children now see in North Eastern US: "The last decade... has had 29 major impact northeast winter storms with NO previous 10-year period with more than 10 storms!" Meanwhile, ski resorts in the Alps open a month early."

Oh FFS. Seriously?!

Google the topic and you'll find plenty more info and rainfall distribution stats as well as scientific data regarding the all too real (and accelerating) effects of global warming - in Seattle, the Pacific Northwest, and throughout the world.

You can deny reality and argue on Pinside all you want. Try doing your homework and opening your mind instead. I'm not wasting any more time on you.

#83 2 years ago

dup

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You better move to Vegas then Tuna because the state of Washington will be under water within 10 yrs. it’s an “existential threat” and people are in immediate danger.
    The “baggage of Californians”? I find the ones moving to Texas in droves are leaving because they have had enough of wherever they came from. I’m sure it’s true in Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and every other state they are going to.
    I love visiting Vegas. Living there would be ok but Phoenix, Scottsdale would be my southwest choice.

Thanks Iceman - I think I'll pass.

No worries as I live 800 feet above sea level and the ferries float.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-relocating-to-las-vegas-how-s-life-there-?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.