(Topic ID: 296639)

Thinking of relocating to Las Vegas, how's life there ?

By adol75

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 242 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210712_224521419 (resized).jpg
    4E9BCA4D-109C-4384-A373-723DE7437844 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210725-193357_Gallery (resized).jpg
    nest (resized).jpg
    68B9C30D-021B-4ED4-BB40-6FA760497016 (resized).jpeg
    D38763B9-C00D-45E8-9C59-71109263DAF6 (resized).png
    DF5D1249-C9C1-4F01-8A23-73ACD107474F (resized).jpeg
    2231F1D8-9BEC-41E9-90ED-E85735AB1651 (resized).jpeg
    3EC004E5-90C6-491B-A716-58E13657A2A7 (resized).png
    20210507_224010 (resized).jpg
    20210510_180204 (resized).jpg
    tenor.gif
    20210704_230444 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_024705424 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210713_234922160 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20210714_000815089 (resized).jpg

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

This isn't a knock on you, more on people who oddly portray certain thoughts and behaviors as the only correct way because of course it's their thoughts and ideas on their timeline which always represent the Correct Point Of View (tm), and that any other line of thinking makes you an "outsider". What they don't realize is the people that preceded them think the same way about them.

I welcome the diversity of people of all backgrounds (ethnicity, race, local, etc.). 'The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.'

I do find it comical that people move to an area and then complain that it isn't just like where they came from. You can't expect others to change their attitudes to satisfy your wants/needs. I think the point is to educate yourself on where you are going to make sure that you'll be happy with your decision to move.

There was an extremely wealthy woman who moved from the east coast to my hometown. She purchased an historic restaurant/bar and decided to change the menu. She publicly stated she was going to educate the locals there was more to food than 'meat and potatoes'. Her menu lasted less than a month, as few wanted to eat what she served. She learned that running a successful restaurant relied on satisfying your clientele. (This isn't a knock on the east coast, where I've lived for an extended period of time.)

#152 3 months ago

We just had a home invasion…kicked in doors…smashed windows…and cleaned out a lifetime of possessions including vehicles.

So yes, I hate Ca. and feel myself loathing this state more and more each day

But hey, the weather is great!

2231F1D8-9BEC-41E9-90ED-E85735AB1651 (resized).jpeg3EC004E5-90C6-491B-A716-58E13657A2A7 (resized).png
    #153 3 months ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

We just had a home invasion…kicked in doors…smashed windows…and cleaned out a lifetime of possessions including vehicles.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry that happened. Hopefully insurance will ease some of the financial pain.

#154 3 months ago

That truly sucks. Hopefully they didn't take the Mypillows.

#155 3 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Sorry that happened. Hopefully insurance will ease some of the financial pain.

Thanks, but they took something from me which money can’t replace…peace-of-mind

They may as well have just lit the whole thing on fire when they left…we’re not going back…ever!

So choose your neighborhood wisely y’all…sure thought I did

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That truly sucks. Hopefully they didn't take the Mypillows.

Actually they did

DF5D1249-C9C1-4F01-8A23-73ACD107474F (resized).jpeg
    #156 3 months ago

That sucks. There's bad areas in every state. Where was this?

We had some petty thefts in our neighborhood (people left their garages open because everyone knows everyone). We never got hit, but didn't wait for it. We outfitted with prominent, visible auto-tracking PTZ cameras with full color night sensitivity (no black and white night vision crap), that was the end of it. Every house within sight of our cameras didn't get hit again. It's been a few years now. Best investment ever, and way better than those crap 20 cameras! costco setups.

#157 3 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Why are you intolerant of people with different viewpoints than yours?
    Please answer on behalf of everybody in Nevada.

I live in NH. 100 foot pines everywhere. Neighborhood is defined by them. NY and NJ folks moved up here, immediately cut all of the forest out of their areas. Right up to the property lines. Those properties are easy to define as they look like empty lots now. Will take years to recover.

Just started happening here since 2020. They have since sold the homes and moved back stating: boring state. Not related to Nevada but tolerance is a two way street. Please try to understand why some are that way. Our trees will grow back but their POV may always go with them.

Sorry about the home invasion. We don’t have that as bad in my working class city, Manchester and Concord more so. Of course we’ve all got guns cuz, you know, live free or die is taken literally here.
    Was talking to a Statey friend of mine and a local. If you catch a home invader and kill them, they manage to get to the street and they die, you know, suddenly, better drag them back into the property line. Makes the paperwork easier and no court involved.
    I love this state.

#158 3 months ago

I am sorry for you, I can't imagine how traumatizing this must be

Where are you in CA ?

#159 3 months ago

Do you mean burglary? A home invasion is pretty serious. That entails bad guys invading your home while occupied and in a lot of cases tying up victims and beating them. If you meant burglary, you won't find anywhere in the U.S. immune to that, but cameras and an alarm greatly reduces your chances of becoming a victim.

Also, as others have asked, where did this happen? Some cities are a lot worse than others for burglaries. A lot of people choose lower costs neighborhoods because they want that big house or large yard. Then, they live in misery with crime and undesirables. You have to deal with low-lifes at your kids' school, grocery store, etc...Choose your place of residence wisely.

#160 3 months ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Do you mean burglary? A home invasion is pretty serious. That entails bad guys invading your home while occupied and in a lot of cases tying up victims and beating them. If you meant burglary, you won't find anywhere in the U.S. immune to that, but cameras and an alarm greatly reduces your chances of becoming a victim.

Couple Rottweilers and some pistol power can't hurt either!!

#161 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Just be careful who you shoot. You'll end up being either a hero or a racist killer who shot an "unarmed" young man who was about to get his life back together, was thinking about going back to school and was a great father.

#162 3 months ago

Sorry to hear that. Maybe they mistook you for the "Pillow Guy"

#163 3 months ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Just be careful who you shoot. You'll end up being either a hero or a racist killer who shot an "unarmed" young man who was about to get his life back together, was thinking about going back to school and was a great father.

Get his life back together robbing houses? Haha.
    I'm in Pa. if someone breaks in and is a threat to my family, he ain't walking out.

#164 3 months ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I live in NH. 100 foot pines everywhere. Neighborhood is defined by them. NY and NJ folks moved up here, immediately cut all of the forest out of their areas. Right up to the property lines. Those properties are easy to define as they look like empty lots now. Will take years to recover.

That's harder to get away with here because we're protective of the environment, although we tend to get huge flack about that under the guise of "freedom". In our area in particular removing trees is very tough. Personally I like the restrictions, I'm not a fan of the brick city look with concrete and tall buildings everywhere, definitely prefer trees, rolling hills and ocean.

Quoted from PinMonk:

We outfitted with prominent, visible auto-tracking PTZ cameras with full color night sensitivity (no black and white night vision crap), that was the end of it. Every house within sight of our cameras didn't get hit again. It's been a few years now. Best investment ever, and way better than those crap 20 cameras! costco setups.

Our area is very safe but regardless we put Google Nest cameras all over the outside, and we have Google Home devices inside. The inside devices know when we're not home via our phones not being on the local wifi and then will start recording indoors automatically. The outdoor cams record all the time, and it's all recorded to the clould so there is no recorder box to steal. We can also monitor all the cameras from anywhere in the world which is a nice peace of mind, and we get alerts to movement or people which is also great. Also have the Google Nest doorbell which alerts when packages are dropped, when packages are picked up, when someone is at the door, and we can even remotely talk to them via a speaker on the doorbell from anywhere in the world.

Yeah it's all overkill for our area but back when I lived in Canada our home was broken into when I was a kid and the cops could do nothing, so I didn't want to be in that position again. Now if anyone tries anything they are being recorded by multiple high res cameras with audio.

#165 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Get his life back together robbing houses? Haha.

Sadly, here in CA where we coddle criminals, yes, that is frequently in the news stories when they get shot.

#166 3 months ago
    Quoted from underlord:

NY and NJ folks moved up here, immediately cut all of the forest out of their areas. Right up to the property lines. Those properties are easy to define as they look like empty lots now. Will take years to recover.

Are you complaining about what was done to the trees as if it was bad?

Would it be better to "take away their freedoms" so they can't cut their own trees?

Imagine having laws preventing people from doing whatever they want.

They see it as an attack on their personal freedoms. They don't care about how their acts affect others.

It's the same in cutting trees, or responding to Covid. Don't mess with people's freedoms.

#167 3 months ago

Our area is very safe but regardless we put Google Nest cameras all over the outside, and we have Google Home devices inside. The inside devices know when we're not home via our phones not being on the local wifi and then will start recording indoors automatically. The outdoor cams record all the time, and it's all recorded to the clould so there is no recorder box to steal. We can also monitor all the cameras from anywhere in the world which is a nice peace of mind, and we get alerts to movement or people which is also great. Also have the Google Nest doorbell which alerts when packages are dropped, when packages are picked up, when someone is at the door, and we can even remotely talk to them via a speaker on the doorbell from anywhere in the world.

I won't have Google/Nest anything because of the privacy abuses and generally low quality of the outdoor surveillance cameras. When google is sneaking microphones into Nest smoke detectors and saying it's a "mistake" when caught, that is not a trustworthy company.

#168 3 months ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Also, as others have asked, where did this happen?

Basically granite bay of all places…

D38763B9-C00D-45E8-9C59-71109263DAF6 (resized).png

And I don’t want to shit on Vegas, hell we even have a condo there…second home in a sense…but no way could I live there…nice place to visit.

#169 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

My little pup will give your ankles hell if you try to come in here.

And in Ca. The pos family can and will sue you civilly if you kill or injure their loved one during a burglary…

but the weathers nice!

68B9C30D-021B-4ED4-BB40-6FA760497016 (resized).jpeg
    #170 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I won't have Google/Nest anything because of the privacy abuses and generally low quality of the outdoor surveillance cameras. When google is sneaking microphones into Nest smoke detectors and saying it's a "mistake" when caught, that is not a trustworthy company.

In my neighborhood, I was one of the first people to install surveillance cameras several years ago. I installed an analog system myself, with no assistance except my wife. At first, I used 1080P cameras and they were pretty good. Later, I upgraded to 4K analog cameras and they are awesome. The decreased cost of an analog system with coax cable instead of Internet protocol cameras is significant. My thought is that if a criminal does something on my lot, I will have an excellent video of them doing it. Also, criminals will see the 10 cameras I have all around my house, pointing in every direction and go to the next house if they want to conduct a robbery and don't want to be caught. I have been in contact with local law enforcement and they have come to get recorded video from my equipment to help solve 3 crimes in my neighborhood that were down the street from my house in various directions.

#171 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

In my neighborhood, I was one of the first people to install surveillance cameras several years ago. I installed an analog system myself, with no assistance except my wife. At first, I used 1080P cameras and they were pretty good. Later, I upgraded to 4K analog cameras and they are awesome. The decreased cost of an analog system with coax cable instead of Internet protocol cameras is significant. My thought is that if a criminal does something on my lot, I will have an excellent video of them doing it. Also, criminals will see the 10 cameras I have all around my house, pointing in every direction and go to the next house if they want to conduct a robbery and don't want to be caught. I have been in contact with local law enforcement and they have come to get recorded video from my equipment to help solve 3 crimes in my neighborhood that were down the street from my house in various directions.

At least with your system you control what law enforcement gets, and they have to ask. With Amazon and Google/Nest, ALL of it is available to law enforcement without your permission.

#172 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

At least with your system you control what law enforcement gets, and they have to ask. With Amazon and Google/Nest, ALL of it is available to law enforcement without your permission.

That is correct and I do not have to pay for any cloud services. I have a 10TB drive that records everything near my house that overwrites about every 30 days or so. I even put 4 additional cameras in my attic to record my HVAC unit, water heater and power vent fans to see that everything is working normally. I can monitor all the cameras from my computer or from a phone app. If someone walks by my house, drives by my house or is even in the general area, I will have a 4K video recording of them.

#173 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

That is correct and I do not have to pay for any cloud services. I have a 10TB drive that records everything near my house that overwrites about every 30 days or so. I even put 4 additional cameras in my attic to record my HVAC unit, water heater and power vent fans to see that everything is working normally. I can monitor all the cameras from my computer or from a phone app. If someone walks by my house, drives by my house or is even in the general area, I will have a 4K video recording of them.

Are you using an NVR? Because all of them are backdoored by China. Mine is offline, local to the house, and I take the HDMI out to a broadcast net box and make THAT video feed available to the internet for phone access. That way there's no control over the NVR unit remotely using backdoors.

#174 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you using an NVR? Because all of them are backdoored by China. Mine is offline, local to the house, and I take the HDMI out to a broadcast net box and make THAT video feed available to the internet for phone access. That way there's no control over the NVR unit remotely using backdoors.

I use Open VPN through my ASUS router. I have 27 cameras around my home. Not paranoid but need redundancy. 20TB recording 24/7 with motion alerts to my phone. I like to watch the bears.
    https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/vpn-primer-for-noobs.14601/

#175 3 months ago
    Quoted from avspin:

I use Open VPN through my ASUS router. I have 27 cameras around my home. Not paranoid but need redundancy. 20TB recording 24/7 with motion alerts to my phone. I like to watch the bears.
    https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/vpn-primer-for-noobs.14601/

ASUS routers are very zero-day'd/backdoored, so depending on what model and what firmware you have, the VPN may not matter.

#176 3 months ago

Nothing is completely safe. At some point you have to weigh the odds vs convivence. I know I'm more protected than most because I'm aware of the backdoors and hacks. But what will they get? Video of the outside of my home. It's downstream another modem so it's pretty isolated.

#177 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I have a DVR with 16 analog channels and 2 Internet protocol channels, which I connected to doorbell cameras on my front and back doors.
    My unit was manufactured in China and I purchased it on Ebay, along with the camera power supply, cable, connectors, etc, etc.
    It is difficult enough for me to access the unit with the security required with IDs and passwords and such.
    Its not like they are getting to any personal information anyway, it will only be video around my house if someone managed to "hack" the system.
    Interesting trivia is that I offered to give local police a unique ID and password to my system and they did not want that.
    However, when they did want video from my unit, a flash drive was provided by the officer on the investigation for me to place video on his drive when he came by to visit.
    The police in my area are very friendly and helpful, so I have told them that they can come by any time they want to.
    I am also happy to help reduce the criminal activity in my area in any way that I can, so giving them video is easy for me to do if that helps.
    My unit has 2 USB ports where flash drives can be plugged in to extract whatever video is required.
    The officer asked that I create a folder for my videos on his drive and he had MANY folders on his drive already for other places that he had also visited.
    So, this is a normal crime fighting strategy for officers to acquire video at the scene of a crime.
    I am guessing that most of those videos come from commercial business crime.

#178 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I have a DVR with 16 analog channels and 2 Internet protocol channels, which I connected to doorbell cameras on my front and back doors.
    My unit was manufactured in China and I purchased it on Ebay, along with the camera power supply, cable, connectors, etc, etc.
    It is difficult enough for me to access the unit with the security required with IDs and passwords and such.

That is to make you feel better. The coded backdoors are not hard to access for the ones that want to get in.

Quoted from Dent00:

However, when they did want video from my unit, a flash drive was provided by the officer on the investigation for me to place video on his drive we he came by to visit.

The officer asked that I create a folder for my videos on his drive and he had MANY folders on his drive already for other places that he had also visited.
    So, this is a normal crime fighting strategy for officers to acquire video at the scene of a crime.
    I am guessing that most of those videos come from commercial business crime.

That's pretty much how it was when they wanted video off ours, too.

#179 3 months ago

The world's climate is getting hotter and hotter every year. Living in a desert doesn't sound like a smart idea. Even in wet and windy Britain, long heatwaves are becoming the norm each summer. Vegas in 100 years could be uninhabitable.

#180 3 months ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

The world's climate is getting hotter and hotter every year. Living in a desert doesn't sound like a smart idea. Even in wet and windy Britain, long heatwaves are becoming the norm each summer. Vegas in 100 years could be uninhabitable.

I'll take the high heat with low humidity over the erratic weather in SE Michigan. Yesterday, parts there received 3" of rain and severe weather knocking out power for 120,000 customers. So sick of weekends ruined by rain, shoveling snow and cutting the lawn. Time to enjoy more of life.
    Not all of Vegas is like the Strip & Downtown.

#181 3 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Not all of Vegas is like the Strip & Downtown.

And not all of Nevada is like Vegas.

#182 3 months ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I was hoping thinking of buying land in the north for my grand or great grand children. It looks more and more like a massive exodus there is in the cards

#183 3 months ago
    Quoted from avspin:

And not all of Nevada is like Vegas.

Agreed, Reno was my 1st choice as our son has been living there for two years. Mrs. Bally does not even want the light, powdery snow that is gone within twelve hours. She wants to use the pool for at least six months a year.

We looked at several homes there and I almost had her CONvinced. Alas if I couldn't swing the model home that had 600K in upgrades, she said Vegas it is....

#184 3 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Agreed, Reno was my 1st choice as our son has been living there for two years. Mrs. Bally does not even want the light, powdery snow that is gone within twelve hours. She wants to use the pool for at least six months a year.
    We looked at several homes there ND I almost had her CONvinced. Alas if I couldn't swing the model home that had 600K in upgrades, she said Vegas it is....

My pool is open about 5 1/2 months. I live a mile high so snow sticks a little longer and I'm only 18 minutes, in a snow storm from skiing. 45 minutes to Tahoe, where my boat is for 5 months.

So, this place sucks, nobody should even think of moving here!

#185 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I dunno quality seems ok, I just took this screen grab from one of the live feeds and I'm not even home right now, just did it from the web browser. I like that there is no dvr to fail (happened twice on our old Swann units), having audio really helps and easy remote viewing is great. The cloud price for all 12 of our cameras is just $60/year for 30 days of footage which is pretty good, but to each their own of course.

nest (resized).jpg

#186 3 months ago
    Quoted from avspin:

My pool is open about 5 1/2 months. I live a mile high so snow sticks a little longer and I'm only 18 minutes, in a snow storm from skiing. 45 minutes to Tahoe, where my boat is for 5 months.
    So, this place sucks, nobody should even think of moving here!

I liked these on the Southeast side, every home has a view of Mt. Rose. Happy wife, happy life though...

Screenshot_20210725-193357_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #187 3 months ago

The data shows they moved out of CA because they couldn't afford it anymore. It's largely lower income and the less educated that left the state, higher income / higher education folk keep flooding in, not surprising given that we have more venture capital here than all other states combined. Nothing to do with point of view, it's due to plain old economics.

Wow. That's a very pompous and naïve viewpoint.

#188 3 months ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Wow. That's a very pompous and naïve viewpoint.

Wtf are you talking about? Graphing the data shows exactly that, no judgements are being made here except from you.

#189 3 months ago

I dunno quality seems ok, I just took this screen grab from one of the live feeds and I'm not even home right now, just did it from the web browser. I like that there is no dvr to fail (happened twice on our old Swann units), having audio really helps and easy remote viewing is great. The cloud price for all 12 of our cameras is just $60/year for 30 days of footage which is pretty good, but to each their own of course.
    [quoted image]

I have Blink, they don't charge for cloud storage.

#190 3 months ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I have Blink, they don't charge for cloud storage.

That's cool, either way having cameras is always a win, at a minimum it pushes away the amateur thieves. Worse case put up some fake cameras if need be.

#191 3 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Why are you intolerant of people with different viewpoints than yours?
    Please answer on behalf of everybody in Nevada.

Tolerance of all viewpoints may be PC, but it's folly. In order to have freedom, safety, and prosperity there are many misguided and dangerous viewpoints that must be rejected. I support those states currently not in decline wanting to remain that way.

#192 3 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Are you complaining about what was done to the trees as if it was bad?
    Would it be better to "take away their freedoms" so they can't cut their own trees?
    Imagine having laws preventing people from doing whatever they want.
    They see it as an attack on their personal freedoms. They don't care about how their acts affect others.
    It's the same in cutting trees, or responding to Covid. Don't mess with people's freedoms.

I’m not talking gardening here. I’m talking entire property torn up. Absolute destruction. Ground upturned( why?), neighbors complained and given the one finger salute. Those types.

They weren’t my direct neighbors so there’s that, but walking my dogs the area looks destroyed now. Personal freedoms up here are cherished. Just don’t play stupid games and you won’t win stupid prizes.

Not sure where your response was going. Don’t tread on me or I’m a triggered snowflake? Lol.

#193 3 months ago

Someday home security will catch up with the times. I hope. ( Very sorry about your home.)
    Malfunctions might occur during development. At the expense of intruders.

4E9BCA4D-109C-4384-A373-723DE7437844 (resized).jpeg
    #194 3 months ago
    Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Tolerance of all viewpoints may be PC, but it's folly. In order to have freedom, safety, and prosperity there are many misguided and dangerous viewpoints that must be rejected.

I agree with you about dangerous and misguided viewpoints but not about tolerance.

Some people believe in science and facts and others believe in conspiracy theories and lies. I have no problem with that. People have never universally agreed on things.

But being tolerant of other's viewpoints could improve our situation. We can still believe and support whatever we want without such extreme discord.

I'm willing to bet that intolerance could lead frustrated people to form mobs and engage in violent attacks.

#195 3 months ago

#196 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

With Amazon and Google/Nest, ALL of it is available to law enforcement without your permission.

Is that a bad thing? I don't put cameras inside my home, so I would welcome police to look at my outside footage all they want to keep my neighborhood safer.

#197 3 months ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Is that a bad thing? I don't put cameras inside my home, so I would welcome police to look at my outside footage all they want to keep my neighborhood safer.

It's about consent. You want my footage, you need to ask.

#198 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Oh they ask, it's in the terms of service you sign

#199 3 months ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Oh they ask, it's in the terms of service you sign

Yeah, I read those and that's not asking. That's telling. No thanks.

#200 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I get that, but as soon as one of your loved ones is kidnapped and time is of an essence, you would most likely be saying, "Fuck consent. Look at all my neighbors cameras and any nearby cameras asap"

Always cracks me up when people are quick to demand rights, privacy, etc..., until they become an actual victim. All of a sudden, rights, privacy and defund the police don't apply.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure police aren't bored enough to just sit there and look at your and everyone else's camera footage. I don't think it's that big of a deal if you have nothing to hide.

There are 242 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside