Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by VacFink
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cheap_beer_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 8 years ago

20 machines is probably much more than you need to start with, especially if you have little/no competition. 10 is a pretty good number...it's more than "just a few", gives you a good variety, and is enough to run a weekly league. I have 10 at my location...and we play half of them one week for league, and half the next week. I thought people would get bored of this, so I would hold league nights in other locations to mix it up, but would always get lower attendance when I did that. So, in my experience, 10 is enough for a league.

If the competition is limited, I'm not sure than 20 pins that much more of a draw than 10 (coming from my perspective as a player).

If your machines are so busy that people are waiting a lot, then you can expand with more.

But, I agree with everyone else...the money is in the alcohol. Even just a 5 seat bar with limited selection would at least double your revenue. Many of my regulars would not be regulars if they couldn't buy alcohol there as well.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from FXR:

But luckily for us we happen to have some very good friends who have opened up a pretty successful micro brewery drinking establishment in Tempe near the college and we're likening the idea of possibly renting some space from him and maybe helping each other out getting new business. Will be meeting with them this week to talk about the pinball idea. They are interested in hearing about it. Granted their won't be big money coming in with 8 / 10 pinball machine but their won't be a huge layout either.

Unless they are giving you some crazy deal, renting space might not be the best way to go. I've heard other people who do this a at a friend's place will often just get 100% split of the machines. It's still a good deal for the bar if you're doing leagues and tournaments, because they make much easier money from the alcohol sales.

If you don't end up getting 100%, push for 75/25. Pins are the hardest way to earn quarters (compared to everything else: skeeball, pool tables, foosball, air hockey, video games, jukeboxes, redemption games...) by far, and require much more maintenance, care, and are really expensive upfront. 50/50 split seemed more fair back in the day when arcades were packed to the brim.

Quoted from loren3233:

One thing I may have missed in all the posts are the late night, weekend calls letting you know a game is down and needs repair. Living close to the establishment makes it a bit easier, but you can expect to receive calls at all unknown times letting you know a specific game is down and needs repair.

People say this all the time, but a reasonable partner does not expect you to come fix a game at midnight. You can get to it tomorrow, or even the next day if you're out of town for the weekend.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Absolutely but you completely miss the point.
    As a good partner and good operator you should make every attempt to get the game up and running and not wait a few days if at all possible.

I absolutely didn't miss the point. Every time a newbie asks about opening an arcade, people come in to scare them with the "what happens when you get a call at midnight demanding you fix a pinball machine".

I operate 15 machines, and I'm doing fixes and repairs 2 or 3 times a week (sometimes more). I do them as fast as I (reasonably) can, but you don't need to be able to drop whatever you are doing at any moment (day or night) to have a reputation for great playing pins, and outstanding service.

I've operated machines for 5 different clients now, and not one of them has had this day or night expectation. Neither have my regular players. Although it's a lot of time, it's not that hard to come in and provide a better overall playing experience than what most people have come to expect from location pins over the last 20 years.

#64 8 years ago

If your games are working and playing great most of the time, people will cut you a little slack if something is down and you have to wait a few days to order new parts, for example.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-opening-a-pinball-arcade?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.