(Topic ID: 297737)

Thinking of looking fora Spirit of 76 or Gottlieb Pioneer?

By cessnapilot89

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here since joining. The Pinball bug has bitten me hard since I brought my first pinball home 4 weeks ago. That machine is a Gottlieb Royal Guard and I have been having a blast working on it as well as playing it. This then started me thinking that I would love to find my dream pin, Either a Spirit of 76 or a Pioneer but not entirely sure what to look out for on them as they are a bit more complicated looking than the Royal Guard and they seem to be hard to find. Is working on either of these that much different than the Royal Guard and where should I start looking?

#2 2 years ago

Spirit of 76/Pioneer is a great game. I'd probably try to find a Pioneer if you can, as that's a 2-player game and has half as many score reels and a simpler player unit. In terms of working on it, I'm sure it has more parts than Royal Guard, but they're basically the same parts. And reading Gottlieb schematics is very similar, whether the machine is from 1968 or 1976. There are some really good people here on the EM forum who can help you out if you get stuck with a repair or have questions.

I think Gottlieb made about 3 times as many SO76s as they did Pioneers, but they're both out there if you're patient. I got a Pioneer a couple months ago from a guy about 2 hours away. Got it working electrically and cleaned up, painted and cleared the pf - it's a really fun game! Go for it!

#3 2 years ago

Thank you! I will keep being patient.

#4 2 years ago

You’d also probably like a 1975 Gottlieb Fast Draw/Quick Draw. Similar layout as the Spirit of 76/Pioneer and a slightly better game in my biased opinion.

Really fun to play.

#5 2 years ago

In the process of fixing them and making them purty, I usually fall in love with whatever game I'm working on. I have a Quick Draw and Card Whiz, and love them both.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

In the process of fixing them and making them purty, I usually fall in love with whatever game I'm working on. I have a Quick Draw and Card Whiz, and love them both.

That’s what it’s all about to me.

If I had to judge, the Spirit of 76/Pioneer is prettier in a lineup but the Fast Draw/Quick Draw is gameplay is addictive, especially on 3 ball.

#7 2 years ago

The Spirit of 76 has been a dream of mine since I was about 9, so hopefully I can find one! I love the Artwork on the Pioneer as well!

#8 2 years ago

With 10,569 Spirit of 76 games made, you would think you would see them all the time.

Either not many survived or people hold onto them!

#9 2 years ago

Where would be the best place to look? Maybe I should put up a WTB Ad?

1 month later
#10 2 years ago

There is one for sale in Mankato, MN. Saw it on facebook.

3 months later
#11 2 years ago

I will gladly trade my shopped '76 for a New York.

'76, Pioneer, and New York are all fantastic game play. Some say Royal Flush is one of Gottlieb's best but I find myself on the red, white and blue a little more often.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-looking-fora-spirit-of-76-or-gottlieb-pioneer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.