(Topic ID: 122233)

Thinking of getting some EM games

By DevilsTuner

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago

I prefer the 2" flipper games myself, but I'm a bit of a weirdo. I like bingos and flipperless games as well.

As far as gobbleholes, Gottlieb woodrails from the 50's are cream of the crop.

-Nick

P.S. To shamelessly self-promote: I started a new pinball podcast dedicated to EMs and Bingos last week. Up to 12 episodes as of last night! I talk a bit about disassembling and cleaning steppers (most of which are solenoid-driven and not motorized), switch adjustment and other techniques briefly.

#17 9 years ago

@Shapeshifter, multi-players aren't that much more complex than the single players - you have an additional unit to count players and a couple extra relays. If you have a bonus stepper or two, then you have the extra hardware for that. Other than that it is just 2-4x the cleaning!
    -Nick

#18 9 years ago

OK, I'm sorry I'm so stupid that I failed at self-promoting. Podcast is at http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com

RSS, iTunes, Pocket Casts, Stitcher or listen on the site.

#21 9 years ago

I'm partial to Williams 60's reverse wedgeheads. Multiple ways to win, difficult, and great artwork. I do enjoy a good Gottlieb, though! My first was Pop-A-Card, and the resetting targets are what makes an add-a-ball game special (and especially frustrating).

#23 9 years ago

Add-a-balls give you extra ball instead of replay for meeting game goals or achieving specials. Gottlieb even went so far as to rename specials 'wow's to avoid confusion in add-a-ball states.
    This was driven by laws in various states that prevented the operation of pinball as gambling devices.

#28 9 years ago

@jjpm - that's absolutely true. My Pop-A-Card is set on 5 balls, and I've only reached 10 twice in the time that I've owned it!

I also have a Chicago Coin Twinky that counts extra balls in the same way that replays are counted, though it's the add-a-ball version. But Chicago Coin just made add-a-ball jones plug selectable instead of designing an entirely different game. Ball counter still increments as per normal. Apron is different for CC add-a-balls.

So, each manufacturer does it a bit differently. I prefer the Gottlieb approach myself.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-getting-some-em-games?tu=bingopodcast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.