4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheCnyPinGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I have never worked on any myself so there would be a learning curve again. What are some solid titles that have some sort of rules or objective? Are there any where the PF is not so close to the glass or is that pretty standard due to internal pitch of the older designs? I love drop targets and gobble holes I love wnbjm but alas its not really a em and the price is to much for me right now. Any help would be great. This is all new territory for me.

I am a fairly good player and normally land middle B in tournaments. Sometimes I have a A game but thats maybe 1 in 10.

#2 4 years ago

I just recently got into EM's myself. Gottlieb wedgeheads are a good for us beginners - 1 player games that are less mechanically complicated. Maybe check out Buccaneer, Flying Carpet, Fun Land, Spin-a-Card, 2001, or a Jungle King. There are lots of videos on YouTube to see how they play.

As with SS games, pick a theme you'll enjoy and be aware that around 1970, they switched from challenging 2" flippers to 3" flippers (which are more fun, in my opinion).

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I love drop targets and gobble holes

There is only one machine I know of that has both. Williams Jumpin' Jacks. In fact Williams was pretty much the only ones that used drop targets at that time. I would get one of these if I could find a decent one.

http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1328

#4 4 years ago

I would like a captain fantastic myself but dont even know where to look for one honestly.

#5 4 years ago

Go to a show and play a few. Like anything else, your taste will vary from mine and everyone else's. Most people like Gottlieb's. I'm in the minority and prefer Williams games (although I own both).

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I would like a captain fantastic myself but dont even know where to look for one honestly.

They are pretty common but very easy to play. I won a lot of free games on that one back in the day. I had one for a short time, but it was just too easy so I sold it. They go anywhere from $500-$1000. Some collectors seem to like it.

#7 4 years ago

I casually purchased an EM with having 15+ DMDs and SS games in my collection. I now have NO DMDs and 50/50 on SS and EMs. Be careful; you'll never turn back once you jump in

#8 4 years ago

what are some of the top games then?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Really common question, so worth doing a search of the EM section for that topic.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I have never worked on any myself so there would be a learning curve again. What are some solid titles that have some sort of rules or objective? Are there any where the PF is not so close to the glass or is that pretty standard due to internal pitch of the older designs? I love drop targets and gobble holes I love wnbjm but alas its not really a em and the price is to much for me right now. Any help would be great. This is all new territory for me.
    I am a fairly good player and normally land middle B in tournaments. Sometimes I have a A game but thats maybe 1 in 10.

Interesting that you like gobble holes-Why?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

All the ones I own.

#12 4 years ago

sing along
    jacks open
    royal guard
    gold strike/eldorado
    grand prix
    blue chip
    prospector
    surfer

some of my favorites. a lot of the late 70's williams em's are a lot of fun and fast.

they're mostly all really awesome, i suggest you just buy every one that comes along and sell the ones you don't like!

#13 4 years ago

Grand Prix, Quick Draw, Neptune, and Target Pool are four totally different games but are favorites of mine that I own. Do research, play a lot of them, then pull the trigger. I would STRONGLY suggest you purchase a 100% working game

#14 4 years ago

Looking for a Wizard in WI Yeah getting one 100% working is crucial for me to learn how they work. Not beyond my skill set just new is all. Stepper motors and relays here I come.

Now what is a good price for one.

#15 4 years ago

Single players way easier to work on. I haven't yet had the confidence to buy a multi-player - soon I will.

If you want drop targets - go Gottlieb 70's.

If you want deep rulesets, multiple ways to win, gobble holes, great art - go 50's woodrails. Wnbjm isn't a patch on 50's woodrails and you could buy many for same price!

#16 4 years ago

I prefer the 2" flipper games myself, but I'm a bit of a weirdo. I like bingos and flipperless games as well.

As far as gobbleholes, Gottlieb woodrails from the 50's are cream of the crop.

-Nick

P.S. To shamelessly self-promote: I started a new pinball podcast dedicated to EMs and Bingos last week. Up to 12 episodes as of last night! I talk a bit about disassembling and cleaning steppers (most of which are solenoid-driven and not motorized), switch adjustment and other techniques briefly.

#17 4 years ago

@Shapeshifter, multi-players aren't that much more complex than the single players - you have an additional unit to count players and a couple extra relays. If you have a bonus stepper or two, then you have the extra hardware for that. Other than that it is just 2-4x the cleaning!
    -Nick

#18 4 years ago

OK, I'm sorry I'm so stupid that I failed at self-promoting. Podcast is at http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com

RSS, iTunes, Pocket Casts, Stitcher or listen on the site.

#19 4 years ago

2" Flipper era: go with an add a ball like Cowpoke.
    3" flipper era: I'd go with one of the later Williams games. I love the artwork on Gottliebs, but the Williams games from the early 70s seem to be much faster compared to their Gottlieb counterparts. Really, though I can't go wrong with either company.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If you want drop targets - go Gottlieb 70's.

What is wrong with their 60s drop target games?

#21 4 years ago

I'm partial to Williams 60's reverse wedgeheads. Multiple ways to win, difficult, and great artwork. I do enjoy a good Gottlieb, though! My first was Pop-A-Card, and the resetting targets are what makes an add-a-ball game special (and especially frustrating).

#22 4 years ago

Whats a add a ball. Just a extra ball?

#23 4 years ago

Add-a-balls give you extra ball instead of replay for meeting game goals or achieving specials. Gottlieb even went so far as to rename specials 'wow's to avoid confusion in add-a-ball states.
    This was driven by laws in various states that prevented the operation of pinball as gambling devices.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Funny guy.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They are like finding a magical sherbert rainbow colored unicorn or you find a '63 Big Daddy

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Add-a-balls give you extra ball instead of replay for meeting game goals or achieving specials. Gottlieb even went so far as to rename specials 'wow's to avoid confusion in add-a-ball states.
    This was driven by laws in various states that prevented the operation of pinball as gambling devices.

True, but there is more to an add a ball than just getting an extra ball. Most EM games set to extra ball only allow you to get 1 extra ball per play. Add a ball games allow you to get as many as 9 on a single ball, depending on how many bally you have left when you begin that given round. What I like about add a balls is that instead of just trying to max out a score, you have the added challenge of trying to get to the 10 on the bottom. Seeing the 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 (I have mine set to 5 balls per play) is not easy to accomplish, but generally more doable than it is on traditional games that award free replays.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Where are you located. I have a nice one for sale

-Jeff

#28 4 years ago

@jjpm - that's absolutely true. My Pop-A-Card is set on 5 balls, and I've only reached 10 twice in the time that I've owned it!

I also have a Chicago Coin Twinky that counts extra balls in the same way that replays are counted, though it's the add-a-ball version. But Chicago Coin just made add-a-ball jones plug selectable instead of designing an entirely different game. Ball counter still increments as per normal. Apron is different for CC add-a-balls.

So, each manufacturer does it a bit differently. I prefer the Gottlieb approach myself.

#29 4 years ago

GTB Happy Clown

has a good amount of options and shots

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/1114/image-10.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Led
    Geeteoh Electronics
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 22.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside