(Topic ID: 213851)

Thinking of buying my first Pinball Machine.

By ralphs007

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphs007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi
    This is my first post,so here goes. I've been considering buying my first machine,but I have some reservations,I don't know anything about working on electronics/pinball machines. Just to give a benchmark of my skill set,I sometimes have trouble replacing remote control batteries.
    I did check,and there are several repairman in my area,I live in Norristown PA. a suburb of Philadelphia. I wouldn't mind doing basic things like cleaning the playing field,etc.,but as far as a repair goes,I don't think so.

I don't have to worry about getting hooked and buying a ton of pins,since I only have room for one.
    I also,haven't really set a budget,because I'm retired,and I think I deserve what ever pinball machine I decide on.I plan on spending sometime at a the "Pinball Gallery " in Malvern PA. just to get an idea of what type of machine I'd like to buy. Yesterday I asked my wife what she thinks about me moving my treadmill(located in my living room) and replacing it with a pinball machine. She said"You always wanted one,so do it". I was a little surprised at her reply,since it going in the living room. This was way too easy, I wonder what she's up to. I showed her a you-tube video of "The Wizard of OZ" machine,and she said that it was pretty.
    I'm going to check the Forum market place for any used machines too,once I have an idea of what I'd like to own. Well that's all for now,I just wanted to touch base with my new Pinball buddies.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

That’s how it starts right?
    Don’t be to eager, do some playing and a bit of research can pay off before you buy.
    Sound like you’re doing that already so good for you.
    Have fun
    RVH

Unfortunately research is my middle name! It took me almost a year to decide on my last car. I don't plan on taking that long,but I do enjoy researching a new hobby/purchase.That's one of the reasons I joined this forum.

#26 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm gonna do my research ,just to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.Long story short.I almost bought a pinball machine last week,that I really liked from many years ago.The game was a "1974-Gottlieb-Flying Carpet".The owner said" Every part of this vintage machine has been professionally restored by Russ Snyder at Pinrescue.".He was gonna take $1,600 for it,and I almost bought it. A local repairman,was going to pick it up and deliver it to my house,and bring it up to my second floor.

Then I got cold feet,and changed my mind.My staircase from "Hell" has four 90 degree turns in it.When I got married,I had to take some of my bedroom furniture up a ladder and through the second story window! I don't think a pinball machine was going up a ladder,and through the window The repairman was confident that he could get it up stairs,but my staircase has hurt my feelings many times in the past,Lol. So I didn't go through with the deal.

Another thing that bothered me was the machine was restored,and then it just sat with no play for two years. I read that can be a big problem with old EM machines,especially with the humid summers we have in PA.
    P.S
    Now I decided that what ever I get,it's going on the first floor.This way I'll have many more choices on what game I can buy,since most pins won't make in up the staircase from Hell!

1 month later
    #28 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Take your time making your selection before you buy. You mentioned a Pinball Gallery. Go play as much and as many as you can. Go to youtube and watch pinball videos. Find a vid you like and watch it. Watch it again. And again. Chances are that if you enjoy the video over and over then, IMO, you will have a better chance of getting a pin that won't grow old too fast.
    It took me two years of reading information on pinside and to listening to all the pinsiders and watching videos before I knew what I wanted to live with. There were 40-50 pins I watched vids of that I thought I wanted. Everyone of them would have been a disaster for me to buy.
    Sure, if you buy the wrong pin for yourself you can always sell it---but you might not always sell it with out taking a loss.
    I think that Todd Tuckey being suggested is a good idea. However, Todd has that gift of gab and he can make the most mundane plain-jane pinball machine sound like it is the pin that everybody is chasing after. In my opinion, in some of his videos he sometimes paints...ah..."lipstick on a pig".
    Choose wisely, Young Skywalker.
    I have never been a sports fan. Never cared to watch them on TV. Superbowl leaves me cold. But I find I can kick back and watch pin vids on youtube all afternoon.

I found out what you meant last week at the Pinfest, when you said"There were 40-50 pins I watched vids of that I thought I wanted. Everyone of them would have been a disaster for me to buy."I played a bunch of games that a lot of people here love,and I didn't feel the same way,when I tried them.I've also been playing at a local pinball arcade and I'm getting a better idea now on what I like. Games I wouldn't mind owning now are DI,MMr,Houdini,MET.
    I only had a chance to play Houdini once,but I liked it.I plan on playing it and the others I mentioned a little more,before I make up my mind.
    I'm enjoying the search,and I did learn to solder,from a Learn to solder kit for beginners,that I found on amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Z3JJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
    When I plugged my nine volt battery into the project,the siren and Led's worked,sweet.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Good for you. Crutch definition: "Crutch" is when you attempt to twist the wire into that small hole on a coil lug as a means of holding it in place before you try to solder it. You will know you have arrived when you get to the point that you can just lay that bare wire across the top of the coil lug and put it together with a nice shiny solder joint.

That was one of the first solder lessons in my kit. You had to solder an inch and a half piece of wire,and then for a loop in it,and then solder the other end down onto a practice pad.It was repeated seven times.To be honest,I hated the solder that came with the kit.It was something like 99% tin.When it was time to solder on the PCB,I used 60/40 solder that my brother gave me.It was so much nicer working with,and for the amount of soldering I'll be doing,I'll be using the 60/40 or something close to that ratio.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Catch86:

Now that you can solder, go buy a DMM (Digital Multimeter). Good luck with your search.

That's definitely my next move.I just started watching videos on how to use one. Last night I watched one for testing a solenoid,and another one on testing fuses.I'm looking for as many videos I can find on using one, for pinball repairs.

I'm gonna get one with Auto-Range,because they look like they're easier to use. Plus it has to beep,so I don't always have to look at it. I'd like something mid range,I don't need the top of the line,but I don't want a piece of junk either.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Dude. You have a nice wife.

She's always been an advocate of my hobbies,I think she's like that, just to get me out of her hair.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

You WILL find room for more.

If I did get another one,it would have to be one where the head comes off.Because I don't have any room left on my first floor,so it would have to go on my second floor.Is there a certain date when removable heads were discontinued? I need to do a search,and find out which games have a removable Back Box.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Good luck Ralph. I know Bill Disney at Pinball Gallery sells and services Pinball
    Machines too. Nice guy. Find him one time you are there and talk to him. He can certainly help.

Thanks,I already want back and forth with him in some emails,after your recommendations,in a p.m. He had very fair prices for his in home repair work,plus he won't charge me a house call fee,sweet !

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I’ve purchased a lot of machines off of Todd( TNT Amusements) . He is first rate and will help you out after the sale which is key.

Thanks for the tip!

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Even the hinged heads can be removed. The wire clusters in the hinged heads unplug just like the older pins where the head comes off.

I was given bad advice from a local repairman.I wonder what his agenda was when he said this to me,in and email ?
    "You definitely would NOT get a newer machine upstairs as a game from around 1984 and newer does not have the ability to remove the head of the game, so unfortunately you are limited to the older machines."

2 weeks later
    #49 5 years ago

I'm getting my first pinball machine next Friday. I choose Dialed In. Thanks to everyone for your help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphs007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-buying-my-first-pinball-machine?tu=ralphs007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.