(Topic ID: 213851)

Thinking of buying my first Pinball Machine.

By ralphs007

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaWezl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 5 years ago

In 2015 I was in your position. Had room for just one pin. Had never done any repair more complicated than using a screwdriver. Was scared of the thought of soldering something. Based on my experiences, here’s what I recommend.

Step 1: Spend plenty of time in the research phase. As you are seeing, you will favor certain pins over others and your preferences may not align with the general consensus. If you like a pin up front, ask around to see how well it ages in a home collection. I decided to aim for a NIB pin at first because of the depth factor. Then I went and bought an EM first bc it was available when I had some money. Do not buy any pin at this point without trying it out and seeing how you like it.

Step 2: Start reading Terry B’s soldering guide and other how-to guides. Don’t buy any gear yet, because you won’t know what you need/don’t need. Just start to get familiar with some typical repairs that might come up.

Step 3: This step is optional, lol. Decide to move to a bigger house because one pin is not going to be enough.

Step 4: Get a pin!!!

Step 5: Even on the simplest EMs the mechanics and wiring will seem overwhelming and scary at first. Take off the glass, examine everything, trace where wires come from and go to. (Note, there are some parts that can be a shock hazard even when a game is unplugged—be careful and when in doubt, assume you need to take precautions.). Read Vid’s guide to cleaning and waxing, and try it out on your new pin. Practice clearing out the balls and lifting the playfield.

Step 6: Play your new pin like crazy

Step 7: Every so often, open up your pin and examine all the playfield parts/pieces visually. Fixing a problem in the earlier stages is way easier than letting it get to be a big problem.

Step 8: Eventually something will need adjustment or repair. If you have a manual for your game, check it first, or use the search feature here. If something sounds daunting, ask if it’s a repair a newbie can handle—Pinsiders will tell you straight up if you can do it or not.

Step 9: If you can’t figure out what’s wrong, ask around. I find diagnosing complicated issues to be the hardest thing right now, and you may find you hit the limits of your ability before the problem is solved. At that point, definitely see who can come over and help you out. But you’ll be amazed to see how many things you can fix yourself with a few suggestions from more experienced pin owners.

Step 10: Realize that the pride you feel in caring for your own pin makes you want more. Revisit step 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaWezl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-buying-my-first-pinball-machine?tu=DaWezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.