(Topic ID: 74662)

Thinking of buying an EM - Buyer's guide?

By btw75

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fireballg1.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 033.jpg
    GR11-24-136pm 028-505.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 10 years ago

I'd echo the advice to try some first before jumping in.

With EMs, it's easy to get underwater on them if you don't do your own restoration work. So deciding if you just want one to play, or one to work on is another thing to consider. If you want one to just play, finding one from a local hobbyist who's given it a thorough going through can be money ahead, even if it's a bit more expensive initially (compared to getting a project that needs work).

Other things to consider are how much you want to budget for an EM. There are games available in several different price ranges, reflecting condition and collectability. The combination of those will drive the price (i.e. best condition and most collectible will be a couple thousand or more; the other end is pushing parts game price; the rest will fall in between with a lot of variability).

Personally, I'd suggest holding out to find one on nice to better condition, even if a bit more expensive. And it's hard to go wrong with a single-player Gottlieb. (although a two-player will do in a pinch). But there are lots of decent Williams and Bally too.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

Now I'm going for sure! In the meantime I'll just try to resist buying one of LTG's games while in Minnesota over the next week.
    http://www.ssbilliards.com/sale.html

If you want to check out some EMs while in MN (and probably hear more about them than you ever care to), PM me.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

Thank you so much for your time this evening. Very gracious of you to make time to give me a great primer on EM machines.
    Thanks!

You bet! Always fun to talk pinball and give the games some exercise. And thanks for the Bock.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-buying-an-em-buyers-guide?tu=dirtflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.