View topic image gallery

thats what she said (resized).jpg
88ef597320a8ec1d8efc3fb8a6cbe06326b6bb5a (resized).jpg
916036c7b4812e5497a4fc90a12b92d92e29392e (resized).jpg
fa967f1fc5f19d732b58c0ad3df9ab30c11b9f1c (resized).jpg
WOZ RR Legs and trim (resized).JPG
WOZ Playfield (resized).jpg
WOZ 2.0 light board (resized).jpg
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I owned a original ECLE and sold it after having a few light board problems, and then the newer buffer replacement boards failing. I now own a RR 2.0 system and love it... absolutely no issues or worries. I would buy a half working RR 2.0 system any day knowing fixing anything on WOZ is easy, support is top notch, and light boards are a non-issue. The older WOZ games often had castle door issues which required pulling the upper play field to fix - I believe they changed the motor shaft designs on newer games to resolve that. The direct print cabinet was awesome on the ecle, but the new rad cals look better imho. Buy a new or used RR WOZ 2.0 - you will love it!

That’s what I did, best pin I’ve ever owned.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Send me a PM and I’ll give you Butch’s email

Thanks, PM sent.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I had an extensive conversation with Butch (the electrical engineer) and he said nothing of the sort. Perhaps you misinterpreted why Frank was telling you to buy the 2.0. Look at it from his perspective: (1) He's got a customer calling saying that he doesn't like working on games. (2) He's got a customer calling saying that his tech skills are limited. Answer: buy a game that's under warranty... buy a game NIB from us. He told you exactly what you wanted to hear.
This notion that all non-2.0 games are tainted ticking time bombs is wrong... and for anyone that encounters any issues, JJP has plenty of chips on hand to repair boards.
That all goes without saying that you won't buy a brand new WOZ (or any game for that matter) only to run into tech issues. There's a guy local to me that bought a newer run RR and he's running into some tech issues. It's pinball. You're going to run into problems!

No. I am very well versed in verbal communication and an extremely articulate person . I do not need to talk to any other member at JJP. I grilled "Frank" the (head of JJP Technical support) and cross exam " Frank" on all aspects of the 5 year development of WOZ. I am crystal clear on what is the best viable machine to look for. My research and personal experience from my coin- op business and my many pinball friends who I have seen over the last 5 years struggle with WOZ. At the selling point of WOZ LE HUO most seem to around the same price point older Emerald or Newer 75th RR my mind is made up. 2.0 or bust . Others do what ever you want . This is just my opinion . And May the pinball gods shine there ever loving light on your choice What ever you decide . Regards

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I am very well versed communication and extremely articulate.

I know you were probably on your phone, but this is gold. Forgive me.

#105 6 years ago

#106 6 years ago

I have a WOZ RR with the 7.5V buffered light boards. I have never had an issue, and the game plays great....these are pinball machines, and sometimes things fail, but the 7.5V boards are perfectly fine, and very few fail....if you have a chance to get a decent deal on a HUO game just make sure it has the 7.5V or the 2.0 system is place...

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I have a WOZ RR with the 7.5V buffered light boards. I have never had an issue, and the game plays great....these are pinball machines, and sometimes things fail, but the 7.5V boards are perfectly fine, and very few fail....if you have a chance to get a decent deal on a HUO game just make sure it has the 7.5V or the 2.0 system is place...

This is good advice.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

This is good advice.

One should be able to pick up a RR WOZ for $7500 +/- a few hundred bucks depending on condition, and upgrades (although it doesn't need many)....

1 week later
#109 6 years ago

I picked up a RR WOZ today, manufactured 12/2015. Its working fine, but I wish I had found this thread before the purchase. I was already talking to a distributor about a NIB purchase (Black Friday) when one popped up for sale near by so I jumped on it to save $1300 plus a few mods. I sure hope I didn’t buy myself a bunch of problems. If I end up having to buy an upgrade kit for $700, I surely would have bought new.

#110 6 years ago

You’ll be fine!

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

I picked up a RR WOZ today, manufactured 12/2015. Its working fine, but I wish I had found this thread before the purchase. I was already talking to a distributor about a NIB purchase (Black Friday) when one popped up for sale near by so I jumped on it to save $1300 plus a few mods. I sure hope I didn’t buy myself a bunch of problems. If I end up having to buy an upgrade kit for $700, I surely would have bought new.

You’ll most likely be perfectly fine. Don’t let the “sky is falling” crowd get to you.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I hear avoid the green LE, go for a ruby red or standard, the LEs had lots of playfield wear (the whole sticker cover up stuff) and lightboards too of course on them as well.

no problems with my green le after I switched lightboards out, playfield is perfect. I Got #39 off production line.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

With a Ruby Red you should be fine.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

With a Ruby Red you should be fine.

Why is that? I presume they use the same boards?

#115 6 years ago

He is probably assuming since it's a RR it has the updated light boards already.

I personally just picked up show special standard w/ shaker for a great deal. 2.0 boards and v6.50. Been thoroughly enjoying it.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Non routed machine lots of wear from the woz thread - Ive also seen a few others up in canada like this as well.
I guess the tip is to check if its a mirco playfield or not.

This was only on a small handful of machines with build dates prior to December 2013. None of the Mirco ones were ever like that.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

He is probably assuming since it's a RR it has the updated light boards already.
I personally just picked up show special standard w/ shaker for a great deal. 2.0 boards and v6.50. Been thoroughly enjoying it.

The last iteration of boards before 2.0 were and are fine.... which the buyer has in his game.

That’s what he meant.

Buyer will be a-ok

#118 6 years ago

2.0 is by far the best way to go if you can, JJP should take back all the NIB stock at distributors that don't have 2.0 boards and retro-fit them with the new boards.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Why is that? I presume they use the same boards?

Ruby Red has newer a newer PC board and probably the newest light boards before the 2.0 system. I would say 80% or more of the light problems I've seen/heard of are ECLE early run games, and ALL the lockup problems are on the ECLEs.

You're fine with a RR, most likely.

#120 6 years ago

If I had an ECLE with lockup issues (mine was built later) I would just bite the bullet and drop the 60 bucks or so at amazon for the newer pc board since my understanding is that the cause is a linux driver issue with the older pc board hardware.

Been kind of thinking about doing that anyway since they are using a newer one since hobbit that some say has a tiny performance boost to some of the on screen special effects.

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ruby Red has newer a newer PC board and probably the newest light boards before the 2.0 system. I would say 80% or more of the light problems I've seen/heard of are ECLE early run games, and ALL the lockup problems are on the ECLEs.
You're fine with a RR, most likely.

Again...not totally true. I’ll repeat: MANY RRWOZ machines were built before all the ECLE games were built. As long as you don’t have a game that has the lower resolution vga output or a Bader pf then you’re good.

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Again...not totally true. I’ll repeat: MANY RRWOZ machines were built before all the ECLE games were built. As long as you don’t have a game that has the lower resolution vga output or a Bader pf then you’re good.

What part of that wasn't true? Even though the RRWOZ were built at the end of the ECLEs, at that point they both still had the newer light boards, newer PC board, and newer PF, didn't they? The "problem" ECLEs are the early ones built in 2013/early 2014 from what I've seen.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

If I had an ECLE with lockup issues (mine was built later) I would just bite the bullet and drop the 60 bucks or so at amazon for the newer pc board since my understanding is that the cause is a linux driver issue with the older pc board hardware.

That's a guess. I suspect it's the problem, but no one knows for sure.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's a guess. I suspect it's the problem, but no one knows for sure.

Yeah but if I had the issue and it bugged me that seems like a relatively cheap thing to try plus while your at it you get to upgrade to HDMI and mildly faster graphics processing. Unless, are the monitors in those early ones VGA only?

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yeah but if I had the issue and it bugged me that seems like a relatively cheap thing to try plus while your at it you get to upgrade to HDMI and mildly faster graphics processing. Unless, are the monitors in those early ones VGA only?

But it's a step into the unknown for a route machine that makes nothing if it goes down in the process. If it was at home? I'd probably already have done it. But if it was at home, I'd likely never know it had the lockup issue since it's usually turned on, played, and turned off, and that wouldn't be long enough for the issue to manifest.

Butch said they're concentrating on reproducing the issue so they can make a software fix now, so we'll probably just leave it at 5.05 and wait for the software fix.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But it's a step into the unknown for a route machine that makes nothing if it goes down in the process. If it was at home? I'd probably already have done it. But if it was at home, I'd likely never know it had the lockup issue since it's usually turned on, played, and turned off, and that wouldn't be long enough for the issue to manifest.
Butch said they're concentrating on reproducing the issue so they can make a software fix now, so we'll probably just leave it at 5.05 and wait for the software fix.

Yeah, on route is definitely another story.

#127 6 years ago

My woz ecle from Mai 2014 had no led issues with the 7.5v boards. Only one board was flaky after it touched an metalpart because the screw was not tight enogh.

So you can pickup an ecle with no doubt if it has the 7.5v boards and mirco playfields

#128 6 years ago

any news on the 2.0 kit yet?

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

any news on the 2.0 kit yet?

Supposedly getting close.

#130 6 years ago

I feel sorry for new buyers of this title... way too much hype over the light boards. People are coming here to Pinside and getting "hair on the back of the neck" opinions and vast assumptions based on little fact.

This is pinball folks, things break. 2.0... V7.5... you might encounter a problem, you might not! Just buy and enjoy.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I feel sorry for new buyers of this title... way too much hype over the light boards. People are coming here to Pinside and getting "hair on the back of the neck" opinions and vast assumptions based on little fact.
This is pinball folks, things break. 2.0... V7.5... you might encounter a problem, you might not! Just buy and enjoy.

Can you go tell that to the people in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holy-node-board-batman-and-ghostbusters-and-aerosmith-and-star-wars/page/2#post-4094707

FWIW; I bought a used sept 2015 Single owner WOZ who said he had some light board issues but JJP kept sending him replacement boards for free of charge. I got the game in my home, light board on RAINBOW stopped displaying white and blue, asked JJP, they charged $159 (if memory serves right), gave me a small credit for the old board, I sold my game weeks later. Granted I mainly sold it cause I played the piss out of the game and burnt myself out, but knowing these boards are an issue and going to cost me $70-$100~ a pop definitely made my decision to sell easier.

If I ever buy a WOZ again at these prices, it’ll be 2.0 boards and/or NIB so I get the single owner warranty express card.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Can you go tell that to the people in this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holy-node-board-batman-and-ghostbusters-and-aerosmith-and-star-wars/page/2#post-4094707

FWIW; I bought a used sept 2015 Single owner WOZ who said he had some light board issues but JJP kept sending him replacement boards for free of charge. I got the game in my home, light board on RAINBOW stopped displaying white and blue, asked JJP, they charged $159 (if memory serves right), gave me a small credit for the old board, I sold my game weeks later. Granted I mainly sold it cause I played the piss out of the game and burnt myself out, but knowing these boards are an issue and going to cost me $70-$100~ a pop definitely made my decision to sell easier.
If I ever buy a WOZ again at these prices, it’ll be 2.0 boards and/or NIB so I get the single owner warranty express card.

so spend an extra 2000.00 over a 100.00 light board and a little labor?

yep saw it here on pinside.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

so spend an extra 2000.00 over a 100.00 light board and a little labor?
yep saw it here on pinside.

You get a lot more than light boards for that $2k. And last I checked, there was more than 1 light board in WOZ. And who's to say the replacement boards don't go out down the road?

Isn't jjp working on a 2.0 lightnoard retrofit kit? That would be a viable option when it comes available.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Isn't jjp working on a 2.0 lightnoard retrofit kit? That would be a viable option when it comes available.

Supposedly available very soon.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You get a lot more than light boards for that $2k. And last I checked, there was more than 1 light board in WOZ. And who's to say the replacement boards don't go out down the road?

rocket science. yes! so throw away all the woz made before the 2.0 they are junk and worthless according to pinside.

#136 6 years ago

It seems to be the first piece of advice, if you're thinking of buying a WOZ, is to NOT post a thread on pinside about it.

By the time the OP finishes reading this thread he'll want to take up fly fishing instead!

---

My $0.02:
I had heard early games had some issues so because it was my first pin, I decided to go with late RR edition and have never had a problem (and it's never leaving my collection).

#137 6 years ago

My rr is my crown jewel in my collection. Never selling it. Stop thinking about getting one, and go do it.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Stop thinking about getting one, and go do it.

.... yeah.... but.... December ain't exactly the best time for a cross-country road trip. It's going to be tough but I think I'll hold off 'til March.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

rocket science. yes! so throw away all the woz made before the 2.0 they are junk and worthless according to pinside.

Not sure who this pinside person is you speak of but WOZ is a bitchin game. Hopefully anyone that has issues with WOZ light boards will find resolution with the 2.0 swap out kit.

4 months later
#140 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

It seems to be the first piece of advice, if you're thinking of buying a WOZ, is to NOT post a thread on pinside about it.
By the time the OP finishes reading this thread he'll want to take up fly fishing instead!
---
My $0.02:
I had heard early games had some issues so because it was my first pin, I decided to go with late RR edition and have never had a problem (and it's never leaving my collection).

Thanks for the laugh,I'm a Fly fishermen,who's considering buying this game.

#141 6 years ago

Well, I decided to take a gamble and bought a WOZ Standard HUO with 5V boards. Apparently there has never been any problems with the boards, so I am hoping this will be a win, since the price I paid was very fair.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 91.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
13,000 (OBO)
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-buying-a-wizard-of-oz/page/3?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.