Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by tjsynkral
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

So I've been on an EM kick lately and really like the simple yet challenging features they offer (I love tap passing). But I do really love a little bit of multiball every once in a while and maybe just a ramp or two. I've been thinking of looking into picking up something from the 80's system 11-ish era like Taxi, Pinbot, or High Speed to round out my collection. Jackbot is on my list too since it seem pretty similar to Pinbot but offers a little bit more contemporary features. Really I'd love to have them all but don't have the room at the moment. With the EMs slated to go in my basement I have room in an upstairs room to have something sit next to Tron and NGG. Taxi is kind of the top of the list but I've really enjoyed playing Pinbot and High Speed lately. Although I'd probably like High Speed more if the cops in the backglass didn't look like zombies to me (and I kind of like Getaway better).

#2 10 years ago

I was right where you are now about eight or nine months ago. After much deliberation and speaking with a lot of Pinsiders I went with Sorcerer as my 80's game (now that I have it I want a second 80's game as it is awesome).

My final list was composed of the following (I was looking for a machine with good looks and a challenge):

1) Sorcerer
    2) Black Hole
    3) Catacomb
    4) Gorgar
    5) Paragon

I also considered Centaur, Strange Science and Haunted House closely.

#3 10 years ago

By the way, I am moving this to the Buying Advice Sub Forum for you, seems to kind of fit as I think you were looking for some dialog.

#4 10 years ago

Taxi is an excellent choice, I love mine, I feel that game is just pure pinball. Then again High Speed is at the very top of my WTB list so thats a good one too.

#5 10 years ago

Pinbot or High Speed are excellent choices from that era.

#6 10 years ago

Cyclone, nothing says 80's like Ron and Nancy.

#7 10 years ago

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Taxi. Great game. Sorcerer would be a good choice as well and maybe even Diner.

#8 10 years ago

Of those you listed, here's another vote for High Speed. Great game with fast flow, ramps, multi-ball - and love it when the siren goes off. "PULL OVER!!"

#9 10 years ago

PINBOT......and nothing else.

#10 10 years ago

So many out there, get one thats clean and working 100% at a median price. Don't overpay, you WILL need to fix *something* at some point.

#11 10 years ago

If you end up with a System 11 game, make sure you thoroughly inspect for battery acid damage. Just went through this and it's a pricey one to fix.

#12 10 years ago

Centaur is pretty stunning if you can find one. Gorgeous artwork and lots of multiball on that machine. Sort of a knockoff H.R. Giger look to it.

Black Hole is a classic! She packs some unique features, although getting to mulltiball on her is pretty rare.

#13 10 years ago

Black knight. A little early, but what a great game if its nice.

#14 10 years ago

Another vote for Sorcerer. Fits your desires nicely--a little multiball and a ramp, but still simple rules. I've got a Sorcerer, a Cyclone, and a Getaway. If I were to add another 80s machine, it'd be Space Shuttle.

#15 10 years ago

I have a collection heavy on highly rated DMD games. But HS gets a lot of play.

#16 10 years ago

I've always been a big Cyclone fan.

Hey! You, with the face! Just buy it!

#17 10 years ago

PINBOT! Best 80's game there is. That is one that will NEVER leave my house.

#18 10 years ago

nobody's mentioned Mousin' Around yet. criminally underrated game. several ramps, a crazy risky loop shot in the middle of the playfield, neat ball locks, and of course multiball. great flow on that game. the theme / art is the only reason this game's not rated more highly, in my opinion.

#19 10 years ago

I've played Mousin' but I think it gets boring too quickly (but more fun for casual players). Taxi and Pinbot don't get as boring to me and have more of that one-more-game allure.

#20 10 years ago

Space Shuttle is the quintessential 80s game. Also Firepower or any of the games that have the Joust sound effects (i.e. Blackout).

-Wes

#21 10 years ago

+1 for TAXI. Paragon is a good choice. Cyclone is another good 80s coaster pin.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

nobody's mentioned Mousin' Around yet. criminally underrated game. several ramps, a crazy risky loop shot in the middle of the playfield, neat ball locks, and of course multiball. great flow on that game. the theme / art is the only reason this game's not rated more highly, in my opinion.

I agree. Great pin, yet you hardly see it mentioned.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from BigB83:

I agree. Great pin, yet you hardly see it mentioned.

You hardly see it period. Never seen one before, but always hear how much fun it is. One of these days...

#24 10 years ago

I have a black hole for sale in Milwaukee. It's not that far away from you and if you're going to expo in chicago you won't be far from my house.

Dave

#25 10 years ago

I'm really more interested in the three I mentioned at the moment but thanks for the offer, I've only played black hole on pinball arcade on my tablet. I wouldn't mind playing one in real life someday.

#26 10 years ago

I've been also looking at an 80's pin and I have been doing some intensive research through a couple of different threads I started in the past couple of weeks. Go through these threads and I'm sure you will find some useful info.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pins-are-2-ball-multiball-only
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-your-favorite-non-multiball-ss-pin-and-why
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pre-1985-ss-pins-whats-your-opinion
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-happened-to-pins-in-the-mid-80s

#27 10 years ago

Sorcerer is one of the best and most fun games ever made. It will be the last pin I part with. By far the best pre dmd pin ever made. Sure Funhouse and Whirlwind are great pins, but Sorcerer for reasons unknown even to myself is just so satisfying.

#28 10 years ago

Top three questions to answer to narrow down your search (After figuring out your budget) are:

* Do I care about having a DMD?
    * Do I have to have multiball?
    * Do I want music playing while I play pinball?

My answers are:
    * No DMD
    * Must have multiball
    * No music soundtrack, so I can enjoy my own music

This narrows down my era of desired games to roughly 1980-1985.
    Thus my top desired games are Centaur, Fathom, Black Hole, Black Knight, Barracora, Space Shuttle, Sorcerer.

In a way, I'm blessed that I'm this picky about pinball, it means I don't want to own every machine ever made. =)
    -mof

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

* Do I want music playing while I play pinball?

Remember that in a lot of the machines you can turn off the background or music but still leave the electronic "chimes". That may add a few more to the list.

#30 10 years ago

If you do this things could change dramatically (In a good way) with your collection. When you own 80's pins there is a tendency to try to own 100's of them. If you look over my collection you will see about 45 games. They are all fun in their own way. They are all different and some hold some unique challenges. Some of them are better then the other but for most part I can find qualities I like from most of them.

And by the way. Centaur and Fathom are not what I would consider best of the bunch. I own both of them but in no way would those be the first 2 out of the 80's titles I would choose.

#31 10 years ago

I love Taxi and I've got two.. If you're interested in buying one let me know..

#32 10 years ago

The 80s cover the widest variety of game style and mechanicals of any decade. From the earliest SS just coming out of the EM era and gameplay with classics like EBD, Firepower, Seawitch to mid-decade pinball renewal with Space Shuttle, Pinbot, High Speed to the great late 80s System 11s. Flat, single ball play to ramps, multiball and more ramps.

Get out and play. Have fun working your way through.

#33 10 years ago

Black Hole, Haunted House, Pink Panther, to mention a few.

#34 10 years ago

Joining the majority votes, High Speed or Pinbot. 2 games that in 1985 or so pulled me back from the video games in the arcades and kept me in "the back" area with the other pins. I now have both and they will not leave, also picked up HS2, and Jackbot due to their connection so consider those too. Have to say though the one that got most of my money those years was F14, nothing like lighting all 3 beacons on top....

#35 10 years ago

BK2K and BH. Although you could argue that BK2K is so advanced and ahead of its time it barely counts as an 80s machine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-adding-an-80s-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.