(Topic ID: 14251)

Thinking of a TRON mod..

By pinball_customs

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I was thinking a simple, cool little mod would be to throw a powerball in the mix.. it'd be like a white "Kevin Flynn" ball. I know it doesn't change scoring or anything, more for a visual effect. That said, I've never actually played a powerball before. Are they much different? I hear they're faster.

Anyway just a thought.

- B

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

I was thinking a simple, cool little mod would be to throw a powerball in the mix.. it'd be like a white "Kevin Flynn" ball. I know it doesn't change scoring or anything, more for a visual effect. That said, I've never actually played a powerball before. Are they much different? I hear they're faster.
    Anyway just a thought.
    - B

Try it out, its your game. I like the black pearl balls, and the other specialty balls for specific games. I think the SM ones with the webbing on them are a nice touch for that table.

#3 11 years ago

Black pearls are pretty sweet... tough to see on dark playfields though. It's a shame no one's come out with coloured balls, seems like a fairly tasteful mod (although I'm not sure how easy it would be).

I guess my only concern is the speed of the power ball, I don't want to smash the crap out of my playfield. Maybe I'll wait 'till Cliffy's ramp protectors are out

#4 11 years ago

Just throwing it out there, but I don't know if a Stern machine could handle the force of a PowerBall all that well ...

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Just throwing it out there, but I don't know if a Stern machine could handle the force of a PowerBall all that well ...

#6 11 years ago

^I'm serious, Tron is a fast game already, you throw a PBall in there and you have a serious risk of doing some serious damage.

#7 11 years ago

Aren't there already a couple of Sterns with Powerballs?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Aren't there already a couple of Sterns with Powerballs?

#9 11 years ago

I wouldnt throw a Powerball into a Stern. Nothing against Stern (i love them!) but that would be insane the ball would break stuff - its light and flies fast.

#10 11 years ago

Does software recognize the power ball in avatar? Or is it no different than adding one to a pro?

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Does software recognize the power ball in Avatar? Or is it no different than adding one to a pro?

In the LE, yes.. double scoring I think?

#12 11 years ago

RS LE and Avatar LE have power balls. I think they are around $30 bucks
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1293&parent=0

they are about 3/4 the weight of a normal pinball so they do haul ass

#13 11 years ago

I wouldn't put one in my Tron for concern of too many airballs. Tron is one of the fastest pins out there, no need to speed it up even more with a powerball imo.

#14 11 years ago

Have one in my Tron - love it! Yes it moves fast but nothing is broken in over 200 games. Its a fun aspect with every 4th ball! Fits the theme well.

#15 11 years ago

There's a Tron with 3 powerballs at a place called brixie's in brookfield illinois (near chicago). I must say it's insanely fast, and whoever the operator is, is probably making a mint off it ($1/game):
    http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/brixies-bar-and-grill-449-brookfield-illinois-united-states

#16 11 years ago

That sounds crazy. I was worried about standing or drop targets. Ramp entrances and trough and kickout sensors if IR. I think the speed it would add would make tron crazy fast.

Your pin do what you want to it if it creates a problem remove it fix the problem and continue
    just my opinion =-)

Good luck and update us on any issues, likes or dislikes.

#17 11 years ago

Go for it. I've only played with powerballs in my TZ, but they would be something else on TRON!
    Sure, they're faster, but also lighter. I don't think you'd get much damage... just make sure to get Cliffy's ramp protector first (once they're ready).

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Anyway just a thought.
    - B

I've had a powerball in mine since day 2 of ownership installed last July. No airball problems, broken parts, etc. The game plays just like normal except for that ball being about 20% faster than the others. My son Kyle calls it the "Kevin Flynn" ball as well. Fits the theme well.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks guys, sounds like it's worth a try.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-of-a-tron-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.