(Topic ID: 81048)

Thoughts on making WOZ (Ruby Red LE) my first pin...yes or no?

By kaneda

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 11.03.50 PM.png
photo (87).JPG
photo (90).JPG
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

I've been making some trips to Modern Pinball in NYC to test out some games. That place is awesome. You can literally breeze through 100K worth of games in an hour and it only costs you $12. When you first walk in, the lineup on the right is as follows: WOZECLE, Star Trek (pro), Metallica, Avatar, Adam's Family. I think we all would agree, nothing, and I mean nothing is even in the same league as WOZ in terms of overall fit and finish. The game is just gorgeous to look at. Here are some questions I had before making the plunge...

1. Have most of the kinks been worked out of the initial builds? Been reading stuff like LED issues, ball freezes, bumper issues, etc...All to be expected for game #1 off the line.

2. When are Ruby Red LE's supposed to ship? I know people are still waiting for their EC's to ship.

3. Is the game really hard? I kept draining down the left side...I totally suck at pinball right now and just curious if that's something you learn how to deal with as you become a better shot.

4. Would you wait for Hobbit? Thing is my Fiance LOVED WOZ and she totally hates the Hobbit films. You guys know how powerful a supportive woman can be when it comes to dropping close to 10K on something that doesn't go on her finger.

Also, I can't say enough about how cool it is to have a 4-player mode. I was with 3 friends and we spent an hour just trying to best each other's scores. No other game in the place offered this level of social appeal. Well done JJP.

#2 10 years ago

No JJP has failed in one way and if you play a stern games the games tells you what you need next WOZ is a table full of flashing lights a game as deep as WOZ with no direction is not a good first game if you have the money for this game the options are endless POTC, TSPP CV, TOM, and many more

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

No JJP has failed in one way and if you play a stern games the games tells you what you need next WOZ is a table full of flashing lights a game as deep as WOZ with no direction is not a good first game if you have the money for this game the options are endless POTC, TSPP CV, TOM, and many more

This is like one long run on sentence...so what you are saying is Stern games make gameplay easier because you know what to shoot for, where as WOZ, while beautiful with all of its lights, leaves the player without much guidance on what he/she is supposed to do. Is that correct?

#4 10 years ago

No. While nice to look at and lots of high quality parts, the game just isn't fun to me and the music and callouts WILL grind on your nerves in a short time.
Way better and cheaper choices out there for a first pin.
Hobbit looks promising, but kind of concerned about the 2 upper flippers integrating well. I have one on order, but not as anxious to get that as I am Predator.

If you have your heart set on a wozLE, forget about the ruby edition and pick up one of these $7k HUO ECLE's on pinside.

#5 10 years ago

I'd rather buy 6 B/W pins....

#6 10 years ago

NO! I wouldn't pay up for a Ruby WOZ there are too many great deals on WOZLE right now. If I was in the market I would buy a WOZLE and pocket the extra cash + you will get your game sooner.

#7 10 years ago

BBH for the first is always a must. It's what I did.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Also, I can't say enough about how cool it is to have a 4-player mode. I was with 3 friends and we spent an hour just trying to best each other's scores. No other game in the place offered this level of social appeal.

There are plenty of other games you can play 4 player on, not sure what you mean.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

. 4. Would you wait for Hobbit? Thing is my Fiance LOVED WOZ and she totally hates the Hobbit films. You guys know how powerful a supportive woman can be when it comes to dropping close to 10K on something that doesn't go on her finger.

I believe #4 says it all ....
Happy wife, Happy Life ...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

This is like one long run on sentence...so what you are saying is Stern games make gameplay easier because you know what to shoot for, where as WOZ, while beautiful with all of its lights, leaves the player without much guidance on what he/she is supposed to do. Is that correct?

I am not saying stern is easier try and finish TSPP but JJP is all about the bling lots of toy lots of flashing lights but for the money there are many game that are better look at the games that have kept peoples interest for ten to twenty years not a few months

#11 10 years ago

Must be pregnant, cause you missed alot of periods......

#12 10 years ago

You played WOZ. Did you like it? If so and your wife wants it, do it! My wife and I both think it is the best game we have ever played.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Must be pregnant, cause you missed alot of periods......

Hilarious

#14 10 years ago

Can you go out and buy a ruby red right now and play it? Or is that a preorder? I would go with a game you can actually play right now without the preorder wait. I think you can buy a WoZ off of Pinside or from a distributor right now.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

1. Have most of the kinks been worked out of the initial builds? Been reading stuff like LED issues, ball freezes, bumper issues, etc...All to be expected for game #1 off the line.

There are still a lot of kinks with the lighting, even on the newer games with the 7.5 volt boards. According to JJP, however, a definitive fix is coming any day now that will address all these problems for good.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

When are Ruby Red LE's supposed to ship?

I don't think these will ship until all of the Green LEs have shipped, otherwise things will get very ugly. So we are talking a few months at least.

As for buying a game the woman might like, that is a slippery slope unless she really is a player. Otherwise she might play a total of ten games on it before she loses interest instead of five on The Hobbit and you are stuck with a game that you don't like.

Quoted from kaneda:

Also, I can't say enough about how cool it is to have a 4-player mode. I was with 3 friends and we spent an hour just trying to best each other's scores. No other game in the place offered this level of social appeal. Well done JJP.

?? Every game since 1978 has a four player mode. I must be missing something in this statement?

#18 10 years ago

Great game and yes the only 4 player out there. Order it up while you can as they will sell out fast and probably be going for 12k by Christmas!

#19 10 years ago

Go for it, awesome game.

Most people in this thread are just saying "no" based on principles...nothing to do with gameplay, what you like, what your wife likes, etc.. JJP blew it with the WOZ rollout and that's going to take a while to get over.

#20 10 years ago

Wait, patience…..figure out what you really like, no on Red Ruby

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Go for it, awesome game.
Most people in this thread are just saying "no" based on principles...nothing to do with gameplay, what you like, what your wife likes, etc.. JJP blew it with the WOZ rollout and that's going to take a while to get over.

A lot of people (including me) are saying to not to buy it because you can buy a WOZECLE right now for much less. As opposed to pre ordering a Ruby Red edition, and then having no idea when you will actually receive it.

#22 10 years ago

Well, you've done more homework than most who buy these (and other NIB games), you've actually played it first and enjoyed it! And, to double-down on that, your significant other loves it?

Sounds like a slam dunk purchase....

Before you get in line, though, I'd shop the Minty-fresh HUO market. A few have recently gone in the $7K range- seems like that would be a nice deal AND no risk/guessing at delivery date, manufacturing changes, etc, etc.

#23 10 years ago

IMO you shouldn't order one.

It's not coded
It's not working properly
It's not in stock
It's not shipping

If it were my money I'd buy a real tangible proven fully coded legit game, not a 2015 preorder that may or may not ever arrive.

#24 10 years ago

Struggling company? They just got a $40 million infusion, that's hardly struggling.

If he wants WoZ I think he should get one he can pick up right now. I think he can get either the standard or the ECLE from a distributor. Or even a pinsider.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If it were my money I'd buy a real tangible proven fully coded legit game, not a 2015 preorder that may or may not ever arrive.

Metallica? Go get em Curly, tell em how to spend their $$$

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Struggling company? They just got a $40 million infusion, that's hardly struggling.
If he wants WoZ I think he should get one he can pick up right now. I think he can get either the standard or the ECLE from a distributor. Or even a pinsider.

They took money 3+ years ago & still haven't delivered, said everything was fine, shut down production, laid off workers & needed a $40MM deposit just to get going again. Factor in hardware drama, unfinished code & a lack of honest updates or information & yeah I'd say that's struggling.

That sure as shit isn't thriving

I think JJP is in the best shape they've ever been in & I wish em the best but they only way I'd preorder a game with JJP is if I could use an IOU

You're right fo sho, if dude wants a game now he should get one that's in stock now.

Quoted from iceman44:

Metallica? Go get em Curly, tell em how to spend their $$$

Read his post, he asked!

Stern has unfinished games for sure, but they also have... Finished games

#27 10 years ago

Double

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

?? Every game since 1978 has a four player mode. I must be missing something in this statement?

Not everyone is a rocket scientist

#29 10 years ago

Does your wife like Johnny Depp? (sshh it kinda sounds like him) Did she like the pirates movies or the ride at Disney World(Land). My wife loves our POTC and you can get a HUO beauty for 5K - there's just too many reasons why not to order a Ruby and too many great machines for a lot less $$$

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Stern has unfinished games for sure, but they also have... Finished games

I know, I have a four of them that I really like!

If you keep messing with JJP, you'll never get your grail pin, Three Stooges….think about it

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I know, I have a four of them that I really like!
If you keep messing with JJP, you'll never get your grail pin, Three Stooges….think about it

I could probably make it myself faster lol

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

40mm infusion? Where was that published or did Jack say it?

#33 10 years ago

First, I said FIANCE not WIFE. Totally different things guys! I'm a smart man, I'm building my mancave BEFORE i get married and BEFORE I pay for a wedding. You know, we put a rock on their fingers and we still end up with a lot of the wedding bill. Not fair.

Here's the thing...If I was to get a Ruby Red Edition, I doubt I'd have to pre-order and wait. I don't think those will sell out or be hard to get. They will also be the machines that will have the most updated everything.

I love the green and it's hard to tell from the pics how red looks in person.

I have to disagree with people saying the game isn't fun or won't be fun down the road. It's a blast to play. A blast to watch people play. And the theme, unlike most pinball games, is so universal and pulls in people of all ages and genders.

My only issue with buying a HUO ECLE is this: won't it still have a lot of the kinks? None of them seem like huge issues, but still would rather get the end of the run, not the beginning or middle.

And of course, The Hobbit. Do I just wait for that. I'm getting a JJP game, it's that simple. There's just nothing else on the market like it. You can't deny that.

#34 10 years ago

green or red WOZ in this room?

photo (90).JPGphoto (90).JPG photo (87).JPGphoto (87).JPG Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 11.03.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-16 at 11.03.50 PM.png
#35 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The only thing I got out of it is that someone is 3 sheets to the wind.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

My only issue with buying a HUO ECLE is this: won't it still have a lot of the kinks? None of them seem like huge issues, but still would rather get the end of the run, not the beginning or middle.

Get it BEFORE you get married. Remember this, "How you start is how you finish"…….Woz is a blast to play and I've had mine since October and a few minor issues like switch adjustments. Get a direct print Woz Le if you can, after Oct. born on date, with the 7.5 volt lighting fix. And then get the Hobbit

#37 10 years ago

Gotta love the Donkey Kong, go green, with that floor, anything goes

#38 10 years ago

I would have to agree. There are plenty of woz ecles out there for sale. You can save big and be playing in no time. I think it would be a great first game. Look on here for a woz for sale near you and go for it.

#1 one of my boards went out last week. New board sent free. Support from jj is amazing. If something does go wrong they will take care of you.

#2 the wait for the 75th is gonna kill you. I'm guessing late summer as they got 1000+ games to build before those come off the line.

#3 If you liked it that much over everything else you played, then id say go for it. The game has plenty of depth for pros and enough simple tasks for newbie players. i think your confusing difficulty and depth. The game is very deep and difficult to finish. But there is plenty of easier goals, multi balls and wizard modes at different stages. Example (battle witch i can get to on a good game, over the rainbow maybe someday)

#4 lifes too short to wait another full year to get your first pin. Get a game you know you love now. We dont know enough about the hobbit yet. Cross that bridge when we get there and of course having a happy wife may be the best thig when getting into this hobby

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

green or red WOZ in this room?

photo (90).JPG 161 KB

photo (87).JPG 174 KB

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 11.03.... 625 KB

I don't know. But you're going to need to clear up some space for more pins.

#40 10 years ago

I own an WOZECLE #1000 of 1000. Knock on wood... I haven't had any issues, other than one small adjustment. I know there have been some on other WOZ games. But, many have also posted they haven't had issues.

I also own many HUO Sterns. They have had their issues... some more than others.

#41 10 years ago

How easy is it to work on the game? Imagine I know nothing about working under the hood...is this game easy to fix little issues here and there? I know some things about arcades, but nothing about pin repair.

#42 10 years ago

Do I think someone should by a $9000.00 Red WOZLE for their first pinball? No

Does that mean you shouldn't? No

It sounds like you really enjoyed the game. Perhaps a comprimise. You could buy a HOU WOZ regular for a lower price and still have all the fun.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

How easy is it to work on the game? Imagine I know nothing about working under the hood...is this game easy to fix little issues here and there? I know some things about arcades, but nothing about pin repair.

You will learn. Not that tough. Especially after all those arcade games go and you make room for pin #6...

#44 10 years ago

I say you should YES buy ruby WOZ as your first pin.

You would be the first person to ever have spent $9,000 on their first pin.

That is serious bragging rights!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I say you should YES buy ruby WOZ as your first pin.

You would be the first person to ever have spent $9,000 on their first pin.

That is serious bragging rights!

Quit F ing with the guy Vid, he might do it!

#46 10 years ago

If it must be WOZ, get an LE. The prices are coming down, and who knows when Ruby Reds will actually be built?

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quit F ing with the guy Vid, he might do it!

I honestly want him to do it.

It would be like getting a new Ferrari for your first car.

#48 10 years ago

OP - call Jack and ask him when the Ruby Reds should start shipping - if there's a few hundred LE's that have to be built first then my guess is you would have to wait a few months for your 75th. The beauty of JJP is that they truly try to make their customers happy - yes they have had supplier issues, but Jack is working it out.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I honestly want him to do it.
It would be like getting a new Ferrari for your first car.

Absolutely - the Ferrari of pinball

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

40mm infusion? Where was that published or did Jack say it?

Yeah where is this little tidbit hiding? I haven't heard about a $40 mil infusion. I'm not a huge JJP follower so maybe I missed something?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
13,000 (OBO)
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-making-woz-ruby-red-le-my-first-pinyes-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.