19%

(269 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E6E9C7E-551D-4AC9-A5BD-32947B4DCBFE (resized).jpeg
B19BFB64-A14C-4077-B64D-4C748F95D465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7240.PNG
44A3C7FD-33A9-4E20-982B-AA74318F45A8 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whthrs166.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I can't decide, but if everything comes together this year (Large work bonus) there is a strong possibility I could pay off my house IF I also sell my entire collection of pinball machines, which conservatively I think I could sell them for $97,900.00
I'd have to slowly bring my collection back over the next few years........

Hey Mike Hi Five! I did this exact thing In 2017. Had 17 fully intended to sell all of them. At the last minute I kept Two and sold 15. They were gone in a week and generated $84,000. I paid off my primary and secondary mortgages (not with just the money from the machines) and now I am debt free. Don't think twice man just do it!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I'm 46. No other debt. Interest rate is 4.55% monthly interest & principle payment is 3k plus another $600 in escrow items that wouldn't go away. 3k/month would buy back approx 5 games a year. With the tax law change my interest is barely tax deductible because of the $24k per couple standard deduction, which means all 4.55% is basically going down the drain. Paying off a house is one of the most financially stabilizing things a person can do, living basically rent free with the exception of property tax, insurance

And in Denver Colorado too! It is expensive to live here now! I built back my collection already from two to six games and they are better than what I had.

#21 5 years ago

I will never forget the day I went into Wells Fargo and sat down with that banker and told him I wanted to pay off my mortgage. He said: you want to do what, make a payment? I said no I want to pay it off. He said lets take a look at your account. Then he said "Oh well we can do that" I said what's the matter man, don't people come in and pay off their mortgage often? He said "No this almost never happens here"

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

How long ago was this? I think that would be a pretty fun trip to the bank, but honestly, I can pay it off on the ap on my phone, and I might be lazy enough to do that when the day comes instead of driving 25 minutes to the nearest WF.

It was in October 2015. Oh boy was it fun! If you do it online you miss all WOWs from the bank employees! The feeling was the same one I got when I graduated college. You have to bask in that moment!

#101 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

machines) and now I am debt free. Don't think twice man just do it!
Does the irs wonder where 84k shows up from? They never worry about the cash leaving the bank, but they usually wonder where it comes from in large amounts.

The rule here is documentation. Just keep pics of your pins, right up a little sheet on each one and its estimated value then when you sell them, write down where they went and for how much. On the deposit slip just write where the money came from and get a receipt from the buyer. I have been audited by the IRS before. An IRS audit is an educating moment on what they expect and require for you to validate income.

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

For example, under the new law. Lets say you paid 13k in mortgage interest and max out the 10k limit for local tax deductions. Thats 23k if you itemize, but you would take the 24k standard deduction instead. So essentially you are not getting a tax advantage on that 13k, might as well just pay it off.

Here is another perspective: Your future is uncertain. Paying off your mortgage is like an insurance policy for your future. Economies tank, stock markets crash, you could loose your job, Illness, car accident (especially here with all the lunatic drivers) No debt, doesn't just offer peace of mind, it provides financial freedom for whatever curve ball life can throw at you!

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Keep the pins and sell the house!

Then he better move to Iowa because same problem exists for buying back the pins, It's gonna cost more to buy another house here, a lot more!

#139 5 years ago

You can't compare investing to Financial Freedom. Paying off all of your debt has no risk! Investing always has risk. Two entirely different situations. Once you obtain financial freedom, then investing in whatever, becomes much easier.

#142 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Move to Seattle - housing's really cheap here!

We are catching up to you!

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Opportunity cost is definitely risk to paying off debt. Every very wealthy person and government gets there by properly managing it.

Huh?? So let me get this straight, your saying having to pass on opportunities is risk? I Don't get that... Financial Freedom creates opportunities! Our futures are uncertain! Ok so maybe after paying off all your debt you are broke for awhile. I Pulled bubble gum wrappers and was broke for about three months. (not Bankrupt) After that the bank accounts started to rebound. Now I feel like anything that pops up (financially) I can handle.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Look, I don't want to get too deep into it but carrying debt allows you to position your funds towards higher returning opportunities and gives you financial leverage through tax writeoffs and depreciation. I agree that zero debt is a good strategy but ultimately, the most wealthy people and corporations carry/manage a ton of debt and pay almost nothing in taxes.

But we are not talking about independently wealthy people here. This sounds like a good business model but not so much for the individual. It really depends on how much risk you want to take at this stage of your life. It also depends on what financial life style you forsee/plan for yourself.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

t have the means then that's a totally different story. But I presume we're all talking about people that can afford to buy pinball machines, or in this specific case ~$90k worth of pinball machines hence the assumption is that these people aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

I dont know about you guys but I am a long way from being independently wealthy and I had 17 games. Just because you have a group of games doesnt mean your wealthy. I am now ahead of the financial game at 54.

#204 5 years ago

Investing in Real estate Can be very rewarding but it really varies from location to location. Colorado Front Range has been a great place to invest in Real estate. My house doubled in value since I bought it in 05. I picked a very stable neighborhood and the houses sell like hotcakes here in todays market. I chose real estate over stock market portfolios and it paid off for me. I have also vacation rentaled my properties from time to time. Renting does carry risk. What it takes to evict a tenant is horrifying and an experience that no one ever wants to go through. One of the reasons why I chose to vacation rental. The other thing is you just don't know how people treat your stuff. In Colorado with Marijuana Laws, all it takes in one person to smoke that stuff in your house and you have a big problem. At this stage of the game for me, I would rather just sell the place, make the money, and put it in that portfolio after all.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Not going to thumb you down, it’s your decision. My only advice is, do you want to work till you are 65 or longer? I want to be able to retire at 55. (Be able, meaning go to work each day and when I don’t enjoy it, quit). Life is short and even shorter when you work till you are 65.

Amen to that! If work I when I am 65, I will do it because I want to, not because I have to. And life can be shorter than we realize.

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

Wow! Those taxes sure would be nice. Losing the property tax deduction was a huge deal to me. I pay over $11,000 a year just on my primary residence which is nice but not a castle. Our city has some of the highest property taxes in the country and that is partially responsible for my home not appreciating in value over the past 25 years that we have owned it. We own three houses and a business building and and pay over $30K a year in property taxes. Owning property here is really just renting with a huge upfront payment. Why I own so much real estate and live here is another story.
That said, our mortgages are all paid off. I did sell a number of my pins a few years ago in order to pay off a final mortgage.
Pins have been a much better investment where I live than real estate. Though I don't see them growing in value that much any more.
Tom

Your situation is an interesting perspective.

#221 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Serious question for those of you that have paid off. Are you still holding the property title personally or did you transfer to a trust or holding company? Seems like a huge leak to leave one of your largest assets unprotected to personal liability.

Not sure what your saying here. Vulnerable to law suit for.... or Identity theft? Sounds like your saying owning your own property is a liability. I do have an umbrella policy and a really good real estate Attorney so I am not too worried.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whthrs166.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-selling-my-entire-collection-15-games?tu=whthrs166 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.