19%

(269 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E6E9C7E-551D-4AC9-A5BD-32947B4DCBFE (resized).jpeg
B19BFB64-A14C-4077-B64D-4C748F95D465 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7240.PNG
44A3C7FD-33A9-4E20-982B-AA74318F45A8 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Being mortgage free is not the goal. It's all how you look at things.

I was going to say that as well since our mortgages are paid by others, on top of which we make profit and can sell the paid-off-by-others real estate when we retire to have ample play money if need be. Property manager handles it all, so we don't do a darned thing but spend the cash. Mortgage free is not the way to go currently given the low interest rates in this country, but the last time I dared suggest that I got ragged on by the generally older audience here at pinside, so this time I'll let you take the slings and arrows for it and I'll leave it at that

As for the pins, honestly just sell all the common ones. I find it's good sometimes to just purge, it helps you to see what you really need. If you miss some no biggie, since they are common ones you can eventually re-buy them. But I suspect you'll find that you actually miss far less of them that you'd have thought!

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Contrary to what some people might think, most people's taxes will be LOWER when you go to file your return for 2018. It's called a "tax cut".

Are you sure this is true? For example from this article:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/federal-tax-refund-2019-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-changes-isadora-bielsk-colorado-8000-tax-bill/

"Many Americans are learning their tax refund is not as much as they expected, or they are receiving a big tax bill. The average refund compared to last year has dropped nearly nine percent, according to the IRS. This is the first tax season since the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act went into effect."

So even the IRS themselves are saying that the average refund has dropped.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

That’s how people go bankrupt too. Market tanks, money is lost, still have mortgage payment, job is lost and poof broke. I’d rather pay shit off. Not to say I don’t also invest, we have Retirement accounts we’ve been contributing to since our early 20’s. Once the house is paid off the left over money that used to go to the mortgage (minus taxes and insurance of course) will go to investing.

Here's how I'd summarize:

1) If money *truly* is the concern here then sell most of your pins and buy a rental property that would be making you money, rather than the pins which maybe on average stay cash neutral.

2) If debt is the concern, then sell some pins and pay more of it off to give you some peace of mind.

3) If quality of life is the concern then maybe sell a few common pins to go through the exercise of it without pain, and at the same time alleviate some debt.

End of the day, it's your call.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yes I'm 100% sure its true. Media fake news once again.
If SOME people aren't getting as large a refund they just didn't have as much withheld in 2018.
Every single scenario we have run, 100%, our clients are paying less taxes in 2018. Up and down the income scale.
That's not to say in some instances where people in high tax states and capping the SALT deduction couldn't get hit a bit.
All you have to do is compare the marginal tax brackets from year to year and run the numbers.
We are also taking advantage for those in retirement of doing Roth Conversions up to the last $$ in the 24% bracket.
While taxes are on sale. Never this low in our lifetimes again.

Quoted from flynnibus:

"refund" and "taxes" are not the same conversation. "refunds are down" is a discussion around how close pre-payments were to actual taxes owed - and not necessarily a discussion on if people's tax liability went up or down.
But the masses have a hard time differentiating between pre-payment and what your actual tax owed is.
For many, in the middle of the curve of complexity.. their taxes owed should be down and their taxes easier to compute. But those with higher local taxes, and higher incomes (say.. 150ish and up) they stand to probably be net negative of the changes.
People need to look at their actual effective tax rate and compare to prior years... not simply 'what my refund was'.

Ok gotcha so it was all in the clever article wording, that figures. Serves me right, usually I first read several varying sources but in that case I just did a quick one time search, my bad. Although to be fair the reason I assumed it is because my accountant says it's hit or miss, some have it worse some have it better. Plus I haven't found any concrete data on whether or not withholdings are indeed more or less this year, so there is no definitive answer, it really is case by case. Like in our case I faired better this year but my wife faired worse.

Quoted from whthrs166:

But we are not talking about independently wealthy people here. This sounds like a good business model but not so much for the individual. It really depends on how much risk you want to take at this stage of your life. It also depends on what financial life style you forsee/plan for yourself.

For sure if you don't have the means then that's a totally different story. But I presume we're all talking about people that can afford to buy pinball machines, or in this specific case ~$90k worth of pinball machines hence the assumption is that these people aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reality_Studio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-selling-my-entire-collection-15-games?tu=Reality_Studio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.