(Topic ID: 5288)

Thinking about buying my first pin, it's a 1976 Bally Fireball (Home Edition)

By mykquillion

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by BobC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Saw a posting on craigslist, and I am going over to play it on Thursday. I'm looking for advice on what to look for with the machine to decide if it's in good enough shape to be worth purchasing. I understand enough about what the cosmetic aspects should look like, so I am more looking for knowledge on things to check mechanically and whatnot. Thanks in advance pinsiders.

#2 12 years ago

I would pass on any home edition pin. Not the real deal IMO.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I would pass on any home edition pin. Not the real deal IMO.

+1 on that, plus I hear finding replacement parts for the Pin is nearly impossible.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from jwwhite15:

+1 on that, plus I hear finding replacement parts for the Pin is nearly impossible.

I also heard that.

#5 12 years ago

no coin slot drop it like it's hot

#6 12 years ago

Home editions are generally dumbed down versions of the original pin and do not have all of the features and gameplay. +1 on the recommendation to stay away.

#7 12 years ago

I've also heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that the home edition flippers work as a single unit - that you can't flip one at a time. ...regardless of if that's true or not, unless it's free - I would certainly steer clear of the 'home edition' pins.

#8 12 years ago

I think there are 3 different ones on Chi CL now. They have been on there awhile.

*If* you buy it, don't pay more than it would cost to take your wife/girlfriend to a decent dinner. That way, once you realize you made a mistake, it won't hurt so much.

Coin-ops are machines, home versions are toys. As long as you understand that distinction going in...

#9 12 years ago

I wasn't asking if it's a great machine. At $300 I don't have a lot of options. I want to know what to look for in terms of mechanical condition.

#10 12 years ago

I think what everyone is telling you, is to save up a few hundred more and get something cooler. You will probably tire of that machine pretty quickly. It doesn't have a ton going for it, except for the sweet art. If you are thinking of only having it take up a corner and looking awesome, then it is a good choice. If you are planning on playing every day, wait for another title.

#12 12 years ago

Pass on it...even for free haha

#13 12 years ago

+27. Yep, what everyone else said. Run away from these home edition models. Save a few more bucks and get a "real" pin.

I wouldn't urinate on one if it was on fire.....
....wow!, Gotta cut down on the caffeine!

#14 12 years ago

What is the difference between a "home edition" and a regular pin? Is it just coin mechs?

1 year later
#15 11 years ago

What I don't understand is that a lot of people don't like it but like hocus pocus. It's the same playfield minus one spinner and ball return gate.

5 months later
#16 11 years ago

I have a fireball home edition. parents bought it new in the later 70's. when they first bought it they plugged it in and it burnt up. its got one hell of a repair history plugs on the board have shorted out. As of now it works better than ever with the LEDs i just put in it. I found last year a game that a guy wanted to turn into a coffee table. I bought it and sold the playfield for 100 and kepts the boards and switches for future failures. if anyone wants any pics of the guts of the machine let me know i can take some pictures of it. you can have a field day with its home tech lol!

#17 11 years ago

Repair information for the Bally home models:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally_Home_Models

Also, very soon Marco Specialties will be selling a replacement cpu/driver board for the Bally home models.

#18 11 years ago

awesome hope they make the switches with the red targets on them that would be great

#19 11 years ago

My 2 cents.... If I had a budget of 300 I would rather have an older EM that could be played, repaired & played some more. I've seen a couple real nice ones recently for under 500 (King Pin was one local with great pinside ratings).

#20 11 years ago

yes i to have found a guy that had 2 EMs for sale and he would sell them seperate but 850 got you both

#22 11 years ago

I wouldn't buy it. $300 will get you a nice EM player with many more features and much easier to service.

#23 11 years ago

it's a very pretty pin

fun yet simple

sound is lacking

got mine for free as part of a deal

I think it's better than the zizzle pins

book is $50, try to get it under $200

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-buying-my-first-pin-its-a-1976-bally-fireball-home-edition and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.