IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
IMG_0658 (resized).JPG
original (resized).jpg
20170519_072422 (resized).jpg
IMG_0587 (resized).PNG
IMG_0583 (resized).JPG
IMG_0582 (resized).JPG
IMG_0581 (resized).JPG
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hi guys, im thinking about buying one or two new pins. Was waiting for SW but dont want to wait anymore.

Wanted to order a Star Trek premium but it seems to be sold out in parts4pinballs in norway. (Our danish supplyer)

So i visited my friend place, we played for hours, he explaned me about the ruleset on the different pins.

Batman66, well the theme is just not me. Game was okey, i liked the toys, but meeeh not a pin i wanna buy.

Then we played Aerosmith, i had no interest until i tryed it, its actually pretty fun pin. Nice music, and toybox. Love the screen, normal dmd games seems old after trying the lcd screen. Upper playfield was borring but rest of the game is actually nice. As i can see Pro model is without the mini pf. Maby AS Pro could be my next pin.
Friend tells me though that AS is a blast in the beginning but not that deep, and i like deep pins. And fast pins.

Tryed walking dead. Dident like it.

Iron man ve feels so old and empty.

Spiderman ve. Love it, but had it for years.

Metallica i love it but had it for years.

Ac dc love the music, but cant get into this pin, have tryed, but no. Beautiful pin.

GAme of thrones, was borring. I love the theme the music, man its nice. My friend loves got, tells me about ruleset but, tryed to like it, but it dident capture me like Aerosmith did.

Then we played Ghostbuster, omg its fast, its a drainer, its not easy, but never in my history on pingames did i have this feeling of >>> ONE more game. OMG GB is just awesome. Goddammit its fun. That left ramp, i looped it 8 times in a row, satisfying as hell. Great pin.

Now before i order a Ghostbusters Premium, i could use some info. Ruleset seems deep. Or am i wrong? Many modes.
Havent tryed the pro model, but with all the gimmic, isint it a nobrainer to choose a premium?? Over a pro on this title?

Now i am reading about playfield issues, cabinet cracks, issues with ghostbusters pin, hate on gb pin.

Does anybody have any knowladge about from what date did stern use better quality playfields? It takes about 2months for my dealer to get shipment from US. I could ask him about manufacturing date writting on the box. This is important for me. Help please.

From when is goggle metal protector included? Also from when slimer switch is fixed/new one installed?

I want to buy it now, but want to enjoy it, not work on it.

Also abybody installed playfield protector on GB. How is the two dropdown targets protected, is it nessery to buy cliffy also

Can someone upload a pic of it from top?

To owners of GB, is the pin still fun after some time?

Thank you for your time.

IMG_0581 (resized).JPGIMG_0581 (resized).JPG

IMG_0582 (resized).JPGIMG_0582 (resized).JPG

IMG_0583 (resized).JPGIMG_0583 (resized).JPG

IMG_0587 (resized).PNGIMG_0587 (resized).PNG

#2 6 years ago

Holy crap....just move into your friends house. We just picked up a GB and love it.

#3 6 years ago

To each his own. Most, if not all the players in our league think GB pro is garbage. BM66 is slightly better. TWD, Aerosmith, GOT are all fine games.

#4 6 years ago

Play them all. Your friend has an awesome collection. Keep playing them all and you could change your mind on what you like. My wife loves.. loves loves our GBLE. We have had it for a year and she still plays it nearly every day. I love TWDLE. If you buy one and after a while still do not like it.. Sell it and go again. Sparky (Metallica) says when he likes things.. Again! Going forward we are putting playfield protectors on every machine. We love them.

I would not be too concerned about all the "supposed issues" with Stern quality. Ask your friend if he has any "quality issues" with his machines. Stern and our distro have always resolved any issues we have had.

Happy Flipping!

#5 6 years ago

The prices would provide a lot of quarters till you get burned out on a machine without purchase. Then you have most of your money and glad you didn't buy.

#6 6 years ago

You have a very nice B/W collection already, so adding a few Sterns will really round out the fun. Agree with above, just move into friends house. If you have a chance to return and play a few more hours, ask why he enjoys the ones you didn't. Try them all again and see if your opinion on any changes. If not, no problem, but you could be surprised. Your comment about not knowing if AS is shallow for your taste tells me you need to play more before pulling the trigger. Report back if AS and GB are still at the top of your list.

#7 6 years ago

IM takes some serious game time before you appreciate it. I did not care for it at first...at all. Now it's one of my all time favorites.

You have to really figure out GOT's rules to appreciate that one.

That being said it sounds like you should go for AS and GB.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Now before i order a Ghostbusters Premium, i could use some info. Ruleset seems deep. Or am i wrong? Many modes.

Not deep. Just brutally cheap gameplay and linear modes makes it seem "challenging". Do you like playing the same modes in the exact same order every time? Every game will start with "Who brought the dog" or "We got one". If advancing through modes like linear video game levels every time doesn't bother you, you may like it.

#9 6 years ago

I have had my GB premium since November and still love it. Huge "one more game" factor, just like you mentioned. Many are still hoping for another code update, but the game is a blast to play, as is.

#10 6 years ago

I almost divorced my wife when she told me she didn't like IM.

I can be of no help here, but good luck with your decision.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I have had my GB premium since November and still love it. Huge "one more game" factor, just like you mentioned. Many are still hoping for another code update, but the game is a blast to play, as is.

Agreed! I have one coming next month. Very fun pin. The GB pro is also fun.

#12 6 years ago

If you get Ghostbusters, get the Premium. The extras are well worth it!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

To each his own. Most, if not all the players in our league think GB pro is garbage. BM66 is slightly better. TWD, Aerosmith, GOT are all fine games.

Gb pro and bm66 aren't even on the same planet in my opinion. Gb is a great game. Bm66 is not even really much of a game.

#14 6 years ago

OP,
Resist the urge. Too many quality issues with recent sterns. I don't think you'll be happy with your "investment" unless you have cash to burn.

Playfield/Clearcoat issues
Poor quality cabinet joints
defective node boards

#15 6 years ago

You answered your own question in your post - obviously GB is the game for you!

Some of your opinions are too quick to judgment IMO - AS Premium mini-playfield isn't boring at all - you have to realize how it fits into the rules. Without that understanding it's easy to come to a conclusion as you did. Just an FYI. I would pick AS Premium over GB - but you obviously really clicked with GB and it's a great game too - just make sure you make a few mods to cut down on the airballs, lane hops and maybe deal with the flipper gap.

#16 6 years ago

I say none. You seem to have too many New sterns already. change it up and start exploring the open old world of pinball.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I say none. You seem to have too many New sterns already. change it up and start exploring the open old world of pinball.

Stop judging people. Who appointed you anything of anything?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stop judging people. Who appointed you anything of anything?

just hate seeing people stay close minded.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

just hate seeing people stay close minded.

Why? How does it affect you and your life? Let people like what they like. You do you.

"Closed Minded"...lol ...don't turn pinball into a religion...you're not Pinball Pope.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Batman66, well the theme is just not me. Game was okey, i liked the toys, but meeeh not a pin i wanna buy.

Quoted from DEN:

Tryed walking dead. Dident like it.

Quoted from DEN:

Iron man ve feels so old and empty.

Quoted from DEN:

Ac dc love the music, but cant get into this pin, have tryed, but no

Quoted from DEN:

GAme of thrones, was borring. I love the theme the music, man its nice. My friend loves got, tells me about ruleset but, tryed to like it, but it dident capture me like Aerosmith did.

Are you sure you like stern games? Haha. Looks like you only mentioned two that you liked. I'd get AS and GB then.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why? How does it affect you and your life? Let people like what they like. You do you.
"Closed Minded"...lol ...don't turn pinball into a religion...you're not Pinball Pope.

because I hate to see people miss out on the other enjoyable fruits the pinball world can offer, from many other manufacturers and many other decades of enjoyment. DMD snobs usually don't see the light until years down the road, after they have played every DMD on the planet over and over again, do they finally broaden their horizons and explore the world of pinball in a more open minded outlook.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because I hate to see people miss out on the other enjoyable fruits the pinball world can offer, from many other manufacturers and many other decades of enjoyment. DMD snobs usually don't see the light until years down the road, after they have played every DMD on the planet over and over again, do they finally broaden their horizons and explore the world of pinball in a more open minded outlook.

YOUR views on pinball variety are irrelevant to the thread!! The guy wants to buy some new games! Do you go into EM threads and tell them to be more open minded and buy some DMD games? Do you go on Nintendo message boards and tell everyone to stop playing the Switch and to get some Gameboy games!? FFS....

#23 6 years ago

Don't buy into all the quality issue hype, if there are any remaining issues it's cabinet quality. All those previous issues have been resolved as long as you buy a new pin, not an old stock NIB. I bought 4 NIB sterns in the last 3 months and have no issues. the cabinets are the only questionable issue, and I hate to say it but if you have concern you can beef the cabs up with brackets on the inside. My pins are on route and holding up well.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

YOUR views on pinball variety are irrelevant to the thread!! The guy wants to buy some new games! Do you go into EM threads and tell them to be more open minded and buy some DMD games? Do you go on Nintendo message boards and tell everyone to stop playing the Switch and to get some Gameboy games!? FFS....

yes....yes I do.

#25 6 years ago

Whoa Nellie?

#26 6 years ago

Looks like Rare needs a new avatar...

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Looks like Rare needs a new avatar...

I'd get banned if I used that one ....

#28 6 years ago

you could blur it out so it's there...but isn't.

#29 6 years ago

I forgot to mention...
Another satisfied GBP owner here.
As long as your vendor of choice gets you one made after mid-October you should be good to go DEN.
(I hear the latest run has the flippers FINALLY set correctly...)

Plus you have myself, Neo, and many others here that can walk you through what needs to be done to make GB a more enjoyable experience without the need of POTC sized sneeze-guard plastics.

#30 6 years ago

They are all fun. GB and Aerosmith are my favorites now. Also like Iron Man And Mustang a lot. Batman66 will be great in time. Go with GB for sure. So cool.

#31 6 years ago

Thanks, but still could bee nice to buy a nib and enjoy it, rather then tweat/adjust/imstall cliffyes and so on.

I have found a nib stern stratrek pro for 5000euro in germany. Thinking about that one too. I never watched old star trek but all 3 new movies are awesome. I have played star trek LE at my friends place, and i loves it. Can't figure are if the gameplay sucks on the pro without all the blong/cool light show ans so on.

Any st pro owners that regret not gettin a premium model??

Any news on star wars??

Quoted from NimblePin:

I forgot to mention...
Another satisfied GBP owner here.
As long as your vendor of choice gets you one made after mid-October you should be good to go DEN.
(I hear the latest run has the flippers FINALLY set correctly...)
Plus you have myself, Neo, and many others here that can walk you through what needs to be done to make GB a more enjoyable experience without the need of POTC sized sneeze-guard plastics.

#32 6 years ago

And sorry, just updated my current collection.
Fathom. Totan. CV. Bsd it sold.
Hope you now understand my urge for two nib games

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Any st pro owners that regret not gettin a premium model??

I have a Pro. Not a huge difference between the models except for cosmetics.

- Premium/LE has real kickback on left lane, Pro has virtual kickback.
- premium/LE has a VUK to the habitrails from the left mode start Hole, pro just kicks the ball out.

Can't think of any other differences in playing the machine.

rd

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I have a Pro. Not a huge difference between the models except for cosmetics.
- Premium/LE has real kickback on left lane, Pro has virtual kickback.
- premium/LE has a VUK to the habitrails from the left mode start Hole, pro just kicks the ball out.
Can't think of any other differences in playing the machine.
rd

Whooow this is great news. So it seems like gameplay is more or less the same?

Can see left ramp is plastic on pro, but it the enstrece/ramp shots/layouts the same?

Is there missing dropdown targets like on acdc?

I would love to get a nib premium but its just sold out.

If gameplay is allmost the same, then one of me new games will be star trek. I know its an older title, why not for same money buy an Aerosmith with display but, Star Trek just appeals me.

I love SR designs, my favorite is high speed 2.

My top 3 most played games are.

Congo, mannn i love collecting diamonds, mini pf. Ramp shots.

TZ. Deep ruleset. Alot of toys. One of the best games i have ever owned.

High Speed 2. Turn off your brain and shoot for red line mania, while rocking it to ZZ Top.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

If gameplay is allmost the same, then one of me new games will be star trek. I know its an older title, why not for same money buy an Aerosmith with display but, Star Trek just appeals me.

Like rd said, the gameplay is almost the same. There are subtle differences, and the LE is stunning. The biggest difference is the lights. On the prem/LE models all the inserts are color changers. On the Pro, just the main shots are color changers. But as far as play goes, they are pretty close. Plus it's a great game no matter which version you have.

#36 6 years ago

Would highly recommend GB Premium. I received my game last week and it's been working perfectly. This game is an absolute blast to play and is filled with a lot of unique features and shots.

20170519_072422 (resized).jpg20170519_072422 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GB Premium....filled with a lot of unique features and shots.

Not having a go ... but where are the "unique shots"?

I don't think GB has anything shot wise that we haven't seen before.

The only new things GB brings to the table are cheap drains, massive crazy air balls and a pretty stink ruleset.

Signed, RareHero.

Whoops .... rd

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Not having a go ... but where are the "unique shots"?
I don't think GB has anything shot wise that we haven't seen before.
The only new things GB brings to the table are cheap drains, massive crazy air balls and a pretty stink ruleset.
Signed, RareHero.
Whoops .... rd

I would take those sun glasses off if you can't see that GB has unique shots compared to traditional fan layout games, lol.

#39 6 years ago

GB premium. Best game. It's my wife's favorite. Awesome ....it's a have to play one more game everytime!!!!!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would take those sun glasses off if you can't see that GB has unique shots compared to traditional fan layout games, lol.

I have a lot of games that aren't fan layouts. Probably 80-100 of my games are not fan layouts, pulling a number out off my ass ... so I think I can safely put my sunglasses back on.

rd

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Actually, the more I think about it, that's one of the most ludicrous comebacks I've ever heard.

Who compared it to a "fan game" in the first place? Not me.

Name one unique shot?

Left orbit - standard
Right orbit - standard
Ramp - standard
Left Captive ball - standard position (see MM catapult, MB creature lane, Sopranos fish, blah blah blah.
Roll overs. Standard.
Pops. Standard.
I'm getting sick of typing standard.

Glad you like your new toy, but to promote it as some sort of new bastion of pinball shotmaking is misguided, at best.

rd

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Actually, the more I think about it, that's one of the most ludicrous comebacks I've ever heard.
Name one unique shot?
Left orbit - standard
Right orbit - standard
Ramp - standard
Left Captive ball - standard position (see MM catapult, MB creature lane, Sopranos fish, blah blah blah.
Roll overs. Standard.
Pops. Standard.
I'm getting sick of typing standard.
Glad you like your new toy, but to promote it as some sort of new bastion of pinball shotmaking is misguided, at best.
rd

I never promoted Ghostbusters as a bastion of pinball shotmaking. I said it has unique shots and features, that's all and I was attacked for it...

Every shot has been done in pinball but Ghostbusters incorpates its shots and features in unique ways. I don't see any other game that has 2 scoop shots, 2 captive ball shots (one with a 3 ball lock feature), subway ramp with ball lock + scoop eject, crazy tight right ramp, etc. You listed a bunch of standard features but from multiple games, that just proves my point.

Ghostbusters is pure pinball fun

I love this game!

original (resized).jpgoriginal (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Name one unique shot?

Right ramp on the pro travels up the return from the left ramp and then back down. Kind of a unique feature but it just isn't implemented well. I don't think it's the layout that kills this game. It's the code.

#44 6 years ago

id just buy one NIB game, play that and enjoy
none of those games are going to drop in price soon, so if you want to sell later , you won't loose much $$$

then in 6 months, then buy your second NIB game

#45 6 years ago

TWD and AS
Owned/own both and I never get tired of playing them.

TWD gets better the more you play it. I originally was reluctant with my purchase, but after a short time I really appreciated the game play. It became "go to" game for my friends and I.

AS is new, so it's the honeymoon stage now, but I have to say I'm having a great time with it.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Name one unique shot?

1. Jump the right inlane guide drain shot
2. Jump the left inlane guide drain shot

What do I win?

#47 6 years ago

GB premium, Love the game, figured it would be my favorite for a long. Got Aerosmith Pro, and love that game more then GB.

Most of my friends that come over like Metallica more then GB, but they all like Aerosmith more then Met or GB.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

1. Jump the right inlane guide drain shot
2. Jump the left inlane guide drain shot
What do I win?

The respect of all.

The best airball I ever got on GB was: ball hits ramp standups, flies through the air, lands perfectly in the shooter lane like a fresh ball! Never seen anything like it.

rd

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Any st pro owners that regret not gettin a premium model?

Nope, exact opposite. I have a STLE that I think I'm going to trade or sell and get the ST Pro. The extra cost of premium/LE is not worth it as far as game play. I'd rather have the extra money from a premium/LE and get another pin with it. I think I enjoy playing the pro a little better honestly.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Nope, exact opposite. I have a STLE that I think I'm going to trade or sell and get the ST Pro. The extra cost of premium/LE is not worth it as far as game play. I'd rather have the extra money from a premium/LE and get another pin with it. I think I enjoy playing the pro a little better honestly.

Well this is great news. I am talking with the company about sw pro.
I have read few pages of the thread called ghostbusters issues, as today its over 3000posts, to be honest, it just makes me NOT to choose that pin at all. I love the theme but it seems like to much headache.
Think ill go with Aerosmith and Star Trek bith pro models.

I got great news about Star Wars also will be revealed juli.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 103.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-buying-2-nib-stern-pins?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.