Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by mechslave
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Richmond kitchen (resized).jpg
    Richmond (resized).jpg
    64729C1F-DA4C-408E-93D8-0547BBE16029.jpeg
    9779AE9E-91E4-4B2A-A168-3D96494CADAB.jpeg
    DDF9E4B2-BC91-4113-A42E-87029EE51761 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8529 (resized).png
    Burning hand arrested.gif
    AC24FCD7-DB79-44F6-8A95-7B0AF82D1EB4 (resized).jpeg
    Palm Springs retro. (resized).jpg
    Palm Springs retro (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FamDocKevin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 1 year ago

Did my first year of training in Tampa/Clearwater area about 25 years ago. I'm *very* familiar with most of Florida, especially the Gulf coast, but also have been to the Jacksonville area, Daytona, Ft Lauderdale, Miami and the Keys.

I am also pretty familiar with the Phoenix area, Hawaii, and much of California.

You are welcome to PM me for more extensive thoughts or discussion on any of these.

But my brief advice is to visit and scouting any of these areas you are seriously considering *in the summer time*. The Gulf coast, as with much of Florida, and Phoenix, is a sweat-box in the dead of summer. People behave almost like it is winter -- staying indoors during the day, and many times even at night (at least in Florida) it can be sticky-hot. March and April in any of these areas are usually picture-perfect. But, if you are going to live in any of these areas year-round, you want to experience the extreme weather and be sure you can handle it. "Cabin-fever," under the right circumstances, can be a real thing for some people by August or September after a long hot summer.

Finally, wherever you go, if you are aging, be sure to know you are living near a good healthcare center/hospital system. Things have improved a lot on the gulf coast of Florida over the last 25 years, but the healthcare quality can still be spotty. Some doctors and nurses gravitate to nice areas to enjoy life too much sometimes, or they want they want to take things easier close to retirement. In my single year of training I saw some horrendous things that bordered on the practice of medicine in a 3rd-world country. Happy to give advice to you or anyone else about how to best avoid this. Shoot me a PM.

Best on your decision!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FamDocKevin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-becoming-a-snowbird-and-looking-for-advice-?tu=FamDocKevin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.