Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Agent_Hero
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Attach32435_20160609_220255_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    2015-06-14_16.15.55_(resized).jpg
    20160324_164202_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160604_222609439_(resized).jpg
    IMG_20160604_200017855_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I've been out of the video scene for some time. Been thinking about trading out a pin for something like a Daytona USA pair. Any advice out there? What drivers are the gems, what kind of prices should I expect, and where should I be looking?

#2 7 years ago

Any of the good driving games are going to have medium res monitors. Make sure the monitors are in good shape since 25" med res monitors are expensive. Before you buy, go into the monitor tests and look at the color bars to see if any of the guns are weak. Daytona USA is old enough that it's probably unlikely to find them with good monitors. Although Daytona is a great game, I would go with something newer and less complex. Oh yeah, Daytona is also famous for having game board problems.

#3 7 years ago

rush the rock
    rush alcatraz
    crusin world exotica

#4 7 years ago

Daytona USA is the best dual driver ever made. Can get them for about a grand a pair, most of the time.

#5 7 years ago

I'm also interested in any words of wisdom, especially how one might find a clean (literally free of grime) pair.

#6 7 years ago

I had a super gt dual seater. Great game. Sold it a year or two ago.. After 5 years. Just too big.

Some tech info, if interests.

http://www.aaarpinball.com/SuperGT/SuperGT.htm

My favorite is Daytona 2 Power Edition. But I never had a pair.

#7 7 years ago

This is all personal taste, but I really dislike Cruisin's (and it's follow-ups) car handling. Some earlier versions of the software even had a bug with an 'invisible car' hitting you. For Daytona, the attract sounds were annoying as hell, and car handling.

For me, the best games were the San Fran Rush games (1st, Alcatraz, and 2049).. On the plus side, those can be networked together over a VPN, so you can race other owners across the country. (May be true for Daytona and Cruisin', too, I just don't know enough about them.) I'm getting a single Rush the Rock in the next couple weekends and plan on setting up a VPN for others to join. Would love to race folks.

#8 7 years ago

Can you fit a modern screen in place of the CRT? How much better is Daytona 2? I only remember playing the original.

#9 7 years ago

I just bought two Mario kart 2s. I haven't set them up but I will let you know when I do.

#10 7 years ago

I built 4 pc based drivers out of rush the rock cabinets. You can't beat these. Need for speed not pursuit multiplayer is the most fun I've seen in a racing game and graphics are modernized.

#11 7 years ago

I have a pair of mario karts I will be listing for 4500 for the pair. New power supplys and new cameras.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drew13:

I have a pair of mario karts I will be listing for 4500 for the pair. New power supplys and new cameras.

Why you selling the karts? I remember when you bought those on the kart thread.

#13 7 years ago

Rush the Rocks are the best ever, hands down or should I say Hammer Down ? I had a 2049 and drove it for a year and while it was fun finding the gold coins there was not as much to do otherwise. All the Rush games have hidden short cuts though that can cut off valuable time but you'll need to master each and every one to do so. Plus you can mirror image the tracks. When you crash you actually crash and it just doesn't keep putting back on the track like so many others. Also flying through the air is totally awesome. The Alcatraz version are the best bang for the bucks. Make sure the game is working 100% like they said above with the monitor as there pricey to replace, $500+. Also the force feed steering and the shifter and pedals, lights etc..... If its 100% your looking at like $5-$600 and we'll worth it. Trust me !!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#14 7 years ago

Tokyo drift great racing game

#15 7 years ago

I have one sf rush the rock, and it still holds up. Looking to add a second. Bought for about 400 in rough shape, restored it and added a flat panel screen (tried to fix the orig crt but it was too far gone). Flat panel is an easy swap, but you need the converter. Forget what its called but costs about 40 bucks. Mario cart would be great too, but they are still expensive. The problem with restoring these is that decals are getting harder to find, otherwise they arent bad. Also upgraded the hard drive to a ssd, which was maybe 40 bucks also. I also moved the power switch to the front so i dont have to get to the back of the machine anymore. Good luck, they are a bear to move

#16 7 years ago

Any advice on how to move a twin Daytona? U-Haul trailer with loading ramp?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Any advice on how to move a twin Daytona? U-Haul trailer with loading ramp?

Trailer with ramp is the way to go. I have Daytona's predecessor Virtua Racing, was an easy(ish) move with a trailer. Im looking to sell it right now and the fact it needs a trailer to move is making it a hard sale(and that most dont have room).

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#18 7 years ago

Ive got a dual Sega Outrunners and have spent hundreds bringing it back to life and making it look great. ( actually bought 2 games and used parts to make one real nice one, stripped the chairs of stickers, painted them, color matched cabinet to chairs, the works ) Also, would not fit down my stairs, so I took it apart and re-assembled it again in the basement. It is the most played game I have, people love racing each other!

Turned it on last night, and one of the monitors is just black. So disappointed after all the work. Now, as stated, I'm looking at spending another $500 or scraping it. No one wants to play a dual game when only one works!!

#19 7 years ago

Daytona USA comes apart different than Virtua Racing. With Virtua Racing the seat section comes off from the section with the monitors. Both monitors are in 1 cabinet. So, essentially 2 very big pieces. For Daytona USA, it splits apart in the middle between the 2 sides. So, each player section is 1 medium size piece that is not going down stairs without injury and wall damage. If you wanna be really cool, link together 6 or 8 Daytonas.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

Daytona USA comes apart different than Virtua Racing. For Daytona USA, it splits apart in the middle between the 2 sides. So, each player section is 1 medium size piece that is not going down stairs without injury and wall damage.

Really???!! I really have to look into this then! It was always my favorite driving game but I figured it would be too much work to bring one home. ( no kidding, I actually stripped my outrunners down to nothing and piece by piece put it back together )

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Trailer with ramp is the way to go. I have Daytona's predecessor Virtua Racing, was an easy(ish) move with a trailer. Im looking to sell it right now and the fact it needs a trailer to move is making it a hard sale(and that most dont have room).

Had one of those years ago, it was a beast to move around. I also remember that crazy stack of cards inside. Pretty wild to think about considering your average phone these days has more power.

1 week later
    #22 7 years ago

Scored some Daytonas! monitors need help, but everything else working. Check out the hidden camera.. hole was drilled in the O of daytona.

IMG_20160604_200017855_(resized).jpgIMG_20160604_200017855_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160604_222609439_(resized).jpgIMG_20160604_222609439_(resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

i have 3 pairs (6 people can race) of Sega Out Runners. Pretty sweet game, if one person makes the check point everyone gets to keep racing. Super rubberbandy so races are always close. multiple paths to choose each check point. made in 1993, pretty reasonably priced. You can link up to 4 machines for 8 racers at a time

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8939

#24 7 years ago

seems to me driving games are kind of like boats or Jetskis....the only day more exciting than buying them is the day somebody buys it from you and removes it from your life.

Consider carefully.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

seems to me driving games are kind of like boats or Jetskis....the only day more exciting than buying them is the day somebody buys it from you and removes it from your life.
    Consider carefully.

Dunno, with my Rush - I got only one - I'll be keeping it. After a real horrible argument with one of my pins (Twilight Zone), there's nothing better than to sit down and race. And with internet connectivity, I can hook my game up to someone's VPN, and see if I can race against someone else.

I'm sure it's all personal preference - i.e. it's also why I have a juke in the basement with my games - put in a few quarters and listen to some music. I know many collectors/player that don't want any other sounds to distract them. Me, it helps with my flow.

With the racing games, it also helps - as far as moving goes - if the cabinets come apart.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Scored some Daytonas! monitors need help, but everything else working. Check out the hidden camera.. hole was drilled in the O of daytona.

Unplug the monitors and reseat every plug on the monitors ive had them work perfect after doing this

#27 7 years ago

Always fun with a few beers and mates

20160324_164202_(resized).jpg20160324_164202_(resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago

Rush the Rock. Six tracks and you can also race them in mirror image. Plus all the hidden goodies and short-cuts. Plus the tracks are very close to the real roads of San Francisco.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Rush the Rock. Six tracks and you can also race them in mirror image. Plus all the hidden goodies and short-cuts. Plus the tracks are very close to the real roads of San Francisco.

And flying through the air is a blast. One other thing that I don't like about almost all other games is that the gear shift knob is usually on the dash next to the steering wheel which seems very awkward to me and out of place. That's another reason I like the Rush games is the shifter is next to the seat where it belongs.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Consider carefully.

Man you seem like such a curmudgeon.

#31 7 years ago

Love my Rush 2049. I'd like to get a Rush the Rock-Alcatraz Edition at some point, too. Both games can be adapted to running each of their generation's brethren: SF Rush-Rush Extreme Racing-Rush the Rock; Rush 2049, 2049SE, 2049TE.

The ultimate thing I want to try is to see if there's a way to put both game board systems into one cab. Obviously they'd be two wholly separate systems, booting separately as well. But, how cool would it be to have ALL the Rush series games in one cabinet running original hardware?

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Love my Rush 2049. I'd like to get a Rush the Rock-Alcatraz Edition at some point, too. Both games can be adapted to running each of their generation's brethren: SF Rush-Rush Extreme Racing-Rush the Rock; Rush 2049, 2049SE, 2049TE.
    The ultimate thing I want to try is to see if there's a way to put both game board systems into one cab. Obviously they'd be two wholly separate systems, booting separately as well. But, how cool would it be to have ALL the Rush series games in one cabinet running original hardware?

Good to know they share the same CPU board. I wouldn't mind having mine updated to 2049. I knew SF Rush and Rock were interchangeable, wasn't sure about 2049.

Since the boards use a JAMMA harness, in theory all you would need to do is duplicate inputs to the Jamma harness, and put a switch in to the voltages (+5, +12, -5). Then duplicate all the outbound (Audio channels, and motor control board.) Seperate HD, and you're set.

#33 7 years ago

I rented a U-Haul with ramp gate. The Daytonas are incredibly heavy, but roll pretty easy. I'd say it's a two man job for average size men. I just rolled off and into the garage... taking on stairs sounds like a project of its own.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Good to know they share the same CPU board. I wouldn't mind having mine updated to 2049. I knew SF Rush and Rock were interchangeable, wasn't sure about 2049.
    Since the boards use a JAMMA harness, in theory all you would need to do is duplicate inputs to the Jamma harness, and put a switch in to the voltages (+5, +12, -5). Then duplicate all the outbound (Audio channels, and motor control board.) Seperate HD, and you're set.

I did read somewhere once, that there might be some differences in the steering wheel force feedback/signal I/O on account of some minor differences in hardware. I have not been able to confirm or deny the validity of that information yet, but if it's true, that might be the achilles heel to making it cross-generational.

At some point, I'm still gonna try, though.

This seller's items on eBay gave me the idea:
    ebay.com link: usr

Even if it means I make some sort of compact flash/cartridge interface in the lower coin door, one for each set of games(Alcatraz and 2049), or even go so far as to get duplicate HDD power supplies for each of the 2049's and have some sort of 3-way toggle to select which one is booting up, it's fine by me. I got my 2049 pretty dang cheap, I've got plenty of room to spend money on it and not be upside down in it(should I ever have to sell it, which I hope to never do).

#35 7 years ago

I have a pair of Sega Super GTs (Scud Race) and they are some of the most popular games in the house. However, they started like many in the garage and then finally made the journey into the basement. It was an all day project to move the games. We disassembled them down to the bare frames and then took them down the stairs in pieces and reassembled them. They came apart and went back together really easy and it gave me a chance to go through everything.Would I do it again? probably not, but if I ever sell my house the new owners will be getting some driving games for a good price.

2015-06-14_16.15.55_(resized).jpg2015-06-14_16.15.55_(resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

I have 2 need for speed carbons both came with 32" LED monitors . I also have 2 nascar hard drives that I can switch out.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#37 7 years ago

I had a line on a pair of Sega GTs, was too slow. I remember dropping cash in that game.

#38 7 years ago

Racing games are great. Dual seaters are the best. But man, they take a lot of space. And effort to move.

I enjoyed my SuperGT while I had it, but I don't miss it.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I rented a U-Haul with ramp gate. The Daytonas are incredibly heavy, but roll pretty easy. I'd say it's a two man job for average size men. I just rolled off and into the garage... taking on stairs sounds like a project of its own.

Oh man if you've got stairs to tackle make a ramp out of plywood and lower it down by rope, two guys lowering it with a rope and 2 guys at the bottom with 2x4's taking some of the weight off the 2 guys up top. My Sega EA Sports NASCAR slid right down....in 2 pieces that is.

#40 7 years ago

pends how much you want to spend.
    ive owned many many anfd still do.

as far as "older" drivers linked:
    *Offroad thunder (awesome, many tracks and different ways to play (race, capture the flag, etc)
    Exotica
    rush 2048
    road burner (motorcycle)
    hydro thunder
    arctic thunder

all of the above have the least amount of board issues or other that ive owned. if any monitors go out you can fix or use an lcd, easy enough.

as far as more MODERN drivers:
    mario kart
    tokyo drift
    h20 overdrive
    dirty drivin
    batman
    super cars
    super bikes
    snocross

#41 7 years ago

Okay, so unless I missed it, Nobody has said anything about Ridge Racer or Ridge Racer 2 (not saying I think they're the best, just odd nobody's mentioned them).

#42 7 years ago

While I don't know if it qualifies as a "racer" what are the thoughts on Crazy Taxi. I have recently been thinking about one for my kids. The are 7 & 8 right now. They can be had fairly cheaply also.

#43 7 years ago

I have a couple rush the rock projects for sale. Like 200 for both. I am way under water on them but would like my garage back........

#44 7 years ago

one thing hydro brings to the table is if you have smaller kids, they don't have pedals that they have to try and reach. I want to get a pair of SF rush the rock myself...

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

I have a couple rush the rock projects for sale. Like 200 for both. I am way under water on them but would like my garage back........

Quoted from Insane:

one thing hydro brings to the table is if you have smaller kids, they don't have pedals that they have to try and reach. I want to get a pair of SF rush the rock myself...

There you go.

#46 7 years ago

Older ones:

Daytona 1 or 2
    Sega Rally 1 or 2
    F355
    Scud Race
    Outrunners
    Virtua Racing
    Hydro THunder
    Arctic Thunder
    Outrun 2
    manx tt
    Suzuka 8 hours

Some less good titles:
    le mans 24
    ridge racer
    touring car
    cruisin' usa/worl/exotica

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

How much of a project are they? Do they have working boards, need monitors, need monitors recapped, missing major parts, etc. Feel free to PM me info and pics.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

There you go.

Thanks for pointing them out, but little bit more of a drive than I can do right now. Also still working on space for them. Looks like Meph is closer and interested. GL to both.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

How much of a project are they? Do they have working boards, need monitors, need monitors recapped, missing major parts, etc. Feel free to PM me info and pics.

Hmm, thought I was cheap enough without having to do pictures. I suppose I was wrong!

1 Unit worked with a dim monitor until I tested a monitor not on isolation. Oops, that took out a bridge and likely a component or two off the video line on the pcb. (monitor is currently not in the cabinet.

Second unit lacks force feedback, ICs should be sitting on the seat. It also has a horizontal with issue. The adjust pot was open. It is a 5k trim pot. There are plenty of the other monitors that I will give you with the deal.

Since I was not cheap enough and it is more about getting rid of projects that I simply lost interest in, I can sweeten this up.

You take the two rush the rocks, a mostly empty time crisis cabinet and 5 monitors in various states of needing and give me $50 bucks.
    If you want to take less stuff the price goes up and not down. If no one wants the deal, I will probably eventually put it on Craigs List or something...........

$50 gets you two the rush the rocks, time crisis cabinet with some missing parts and 5 monitors in need of repair!

#50 7 years ago

Dang. This guy wants his space back. Cool deal for someone in need of a project.. Or three.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-a-pair-of-driving-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.