4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

magnet.jpg
    84494.jpg
    22.gif

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago

any game that has a ball launch button instead of a manual plunger

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The "launch ball" button on MM. I hate games that have a fire button that's not even themed with the rest of the game. Give me a gun like IJ or a handle like A13 or something. A button is such a cop out and eliminates any chance of a skill shot.

Quoted from davewtf:

Dave! WTF???

#153 4 years ago

Cryoclaw and car crash on Demoman both seem like afterthoughts. I like everything else though, including the launch button

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

guess i'd need to know what game. my bsd had autoplunge on and it blew. turned it off and its my favorite game.

Quoted from davewtf:

Some of us meant what dave is saying

#155 4 years ago

The bagatelle on Catacomb.
    Video modes.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

The video mode on Tommy sucked.

you mean the one where you get the same (if not more points) by letting it just play through on it's own?

#157 4 years ago

I hate when i hit the itchy & scratchy shot off the flipper but its too hard and bounces out

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

What was the first game that had launcher that would auto-plunge, when in multiball, and allow self plunging? Scared Stiff?
    Edit: I guess Twilight Zone kind of had this, but it was a separate shooter lane. So I'm asking which was the first with both combined.

Just a guess. Quite possibly TMNT which came out in '91. I know Tommy has it but came out in '94.

Quoted from pezpunk:

Attack from Mars:
    - absurd score inflation results in like 6 meaningless zeroes on the end of your score.

This bugs me as well. Couldn't this also be said on STTNG, No Fear, and many other games?

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

[Whirlwind's] upper pops are ... punishment.

+1
    agree!
    -mof

#160 4 years ago

The slings and outlanes on ST:TNG. The Gem shot on Tron. Cannon on AC/DC. Pop bumpers of death on TZ. Reliance on random caroms to light crystal ball modes on WOZ. The fact that the right inlane unlights harem at the left orbit on TOTAN.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Couldn't this also be said on STTNG, No Fear, and many other games?

W/B got out of hand with scoring at the end there...no mystery there. But what can you do? Rip a bunch of Zeros off like WOZ then you have people pissing & moaning aboot the score being too low

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

moaning aboot the score being too low

I know Michigan is close, but are you sure you're not Canadian?

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I know Michigan is close, but are you sure you're not Canadian?

I love Canadians. Except this fat old Canadian dude whom I almost had to fight at the airport recently. Never see Canadians that angry...strange.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I love Canadians. Never see Canadians that angry...strange.

Except Scott. He's a dick.

#165 4 years ago

MM has a pretty good skill shot, same as AFM. You just have to know about it.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

MM has a pretty good skill shot, same as AFM. You just have to know about it.

...which I obviously don't.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...which I obviously don't.

Hold the left flipper down...just like Metallica

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

yup i misread that. manual plunger is way better. I thought the reference was the autoplunge ajustment on the button plunge games. I agree

#169 4 years ago

Left outlane on 8-ball...

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The "launch ball" button on MM. I hate games that have a fire button that's not even themed with the rest of the game. Give me a gun like IJ or a handle like A13 or something. A button is such a cop out and eliminates any chance of a skill shot.

A sword handle would have been cool.

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

A sword handle would have been cool.

Right! I don't think they had guns back then lol...

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

my bad. I didn't read all of the comments.

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I both agree and disagree here. I hate buttons for plunging, but IMO it doesn't remove any chance of a skill shot, at least in BSD. You can at least a try to time hitting the drop target, albeit inconsistently(on mine). Three of my games have buttons plungers, so I definitely feel you pain.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

my bad. I didn't read all of the comments.

Doesn't matter, you're the only one that successfully explained it

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

So you like the gun on Indiana Jones which is (ironically in this context) one of the only 90s games without a skill shot? And dislike AFM with its very-important skill shot (orbit to saucer target bank to start attack wave risk-free)?

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

So you like the gun on Indiana Jones which is (ironically in this context) one of the only 90s games without a skill shot? And dislike AFM with its very-important skill shot (orbit to saucer target bank to start attack wave risk-free)?

I don't like the lack of a skill shot, period. But in my view, at least if you're not going to have a manual plunge, you should make it interesting and have it fit the theme.

#177 4 years ago

X-Men - Wolverine bash toy. Big, Clunky and easy to break. Ruined the entire pin for me. Pretty outstanding game otherwise.

#178 4 years ago

The turbo lock bounce-outs on I500. Talk about annoying.

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

the super skill shot in AFM starts the attack wave but also kills you opportunity to collect all 4 hurry-ups at once for a billion points and a direct start into total annihilation.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

MM has a pretty good skill shot,

A good skill shot is one that relies solely on the ball launch itself (like Fireball), not what you do with the flippers afterwards. There's a skill in plunging the ball to where you want it, and I believe a "skill shot" that is made with the flippers rather than the plunger is a wasted opportunity.

#181 4 years ago

About aFM: Correct, but you have the option how to use the skillshot on AFM (target bank, or for example on the last ball go for the last shot to complete, ..) Agreed using it on the very first ball to one of the 4 major shots, makes the 1B hurry up not available naymore.

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

What was the first game that had launcher that would auto-plunge, when in multiball, and allow self plunging? Scared Stiff?

I believe Tommy has ball saver during multiball-purpose auto-plunger.

Auto-plunger is a great invention of all virtual locks 3+ ball multi-balls. Boring - maybe - but it makes multi-player games totally independent for individual player progress.

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I believe Tommy has ball saver during multiball-purpose auto-plunger.
    Auto-plunger is a great invention of all virtual locks 3+ ball multi-balls. Boring - maybe - but it makes multi-player games totally independent for individual player progress.

Best of both worlds is regular plunger coupled with auto-plunger, like Metallica among others.
    TFTC has a pretty cool timed skill shot with an auto-plunger.

#184 4 years ago

I like the Junkyard playfield and I actually also like the simple ruleset. Who says it is a bad thing that the wizard mode is actually reachable more often than once in a while. But - oh dear - the video modes are a red eye on this game. Not only are they too easy to reach and happen too often. But the intro animation is so long and cannot be bypassed.

#185 4 years ago

Scared Stiff - It really bothers me that Elvira is painted twice on the playfield.

#186 4 years ago

It is great that there is (was) a tradition of rule adjustments on pinball machines. Because then some of the not so thought through issues that slipped into final production can be compensated for.

However, I wish they'd made this even more generally. Especially for max settings for the likes of jackpots and bonus-x and other stuff that calls for exploits.

As well as broader ranges. On Taxi there are start jackpot and max jackpot settings. But max allowable start is lower than min allowable max. So you cannot even make a fixed jackpot by these settings. Let alone define this value.

#187 4 years ago

Medieval Madness - Castles being available during multi-ball.

Medieval Madness - Troll stand-ups being unavailable during multi-ball.

Actually a great tweat to this would be that the castle to hits up till last remaining gate hit. But the gate was never raised. Then when multi-ball is ended, the gate opens and the castle is ready. But castle rape is not really an option during multi-ball in the same manner.

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Except Scott. He's a dick.

he's not your buddy, friend

#189 4 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

the super skill shot in AFM starts the attack wave but also kills you opportunity to collect all 4 hurry-ups at once for a billion points and a direct start into total annihilation.

If you hit one of the main shots (ramps or orbits) off the super skill shot you won't be able to try to go for the 1 billion award, but as far as I can recall, starting the attack wave off super skill shot does not impact this.

To get the 1 billion award, you get all 4 main shots (towards Total Annihilation) 1 shot each from completion and then complete all 4 shots during the "hurry up" period without collecting the hurry up. By taking a major shot during the super skill shot, you prevent the opportunity to do this as you are fully completing one of the shots and then would have to complete all the other 9 shots before the hurry up ended to qualify for a billion.

#190 4 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

If you hit one of the main shots (ramps or orbits) off the super skill shot you won't be able to try to go for the 1 billion award, but as far as I can recall, starting the attack wave off super skill shot does not impact this.
    To get the 1 billion award, you get all 4 main shots (towards Total Annihilation) 1 shot each from completion and then complete all 4 shots during the "hurry up" period without collecting the hurry up. By taking a major shot during the super skill shot, you prevent the opportunity to do this as you are fully completing one of the shots and then would have to complete all the other 9 shots before the hurry up ended to qualify for a billion.

You are very close. If you were to take the super skill on one of the major shots, it kills the hurry up altogether(and awards 50M) and it wouldn't matter how fast you got all the other shots, the 1B is off the table until after you play Total Annihilation and start building up to the next one. Basically, you should take the super skill to the Mother Ship if the 3 bank is still up. Otherwise, just take the regular skill shot.

#191 4 years ago

When I'm killing it in multiball, and it kills my flippers and says "You win!" I know, I'm in the game's wizard mode, now let me play my multiball.

Examples would be Tales of the Arabian Nights, Godzilla, and RollerCoaster Tycoon.

An exception would be the Alien Invasion multiball on Simpsons Pinball Party. The rules for that mode make it a lot of fun to try and complete.

#192 4 years ago

The captive ball in Space Invaders. It's damn near impossible to hit. Also I hate the database shot on T2. Over half my shots bounce back and don't get caught.

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Medieval Madness - Castles being available during multi-ball.
    Medieval Madness - Troll stand-ups being unavailable during multi-ball.
    Actually a great tweat to this would be that the castle to hits up till last remaining gate hit. But the gate was never raised. Then when multi-ball is ended, the gate opens and the castle is ready. But castle rape is not really an option during multi-ball in the same manner.

I disagree, this is strategy, if you remove all strategy from a game then it's boring and just shots.

#194 4 years ago

Another vote for cannon blocking the view of the right inlane on AC/DC

#195 4 years ago

- Poor sound quality voice calls, especially in games from an era where there shouldn't be a need to settle for low resolution voicecalls
    - repeatitive voicecalls
    - I hated the childish voicecalls in Monster Bash at first. They're still not my favorite, but they bother me less now
    - No autoplunger on Big Bang Bar, or at least 3 extra switches in the plungerlane to detect balls in there. The wizard mode would be better if the game kept track of the number of balls on the playfield. Now you have to plunge manually and can play multiball with 3 balls in the plungerlane.
    - The REF mode on WWE Wrestlemania and it's unauthentic timing in the game (at least in early code)
    - Endless ball saves (if the time is operator adjustable why not ship by default with a short ball save time? Those who don't like that can add more time. I think these default 30 second ball savers are one of the elements that killed pinball on location)
    - Endless ball saves on every multiball (see comment above and why not only a short ball saver on the first multiball?)
    - Games that easily give away / award multiball on the last ball, every time. Another element that I think ruined pinball on location as it took away part of the challenge.
    - Incomplete code. Sure it's great to see a new title as soon as possible, but if the code is just the bare basics, what's the point? If possible please go back to finishing code with all modes and graphics in it and do only updates to fix bugs (and maybe add the modes that an average player shouldn't be likely to see later on)

#196 4 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I think these default 30 second ball savers are one of the elements that killed pinball on location)

Are you exaggerating here or did pins literally ship with a 30 second ball save time? I'm no expert, but most games I've seen are in the 5 to 7 second range.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 65.00
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    € 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    £ 12.00
    $ 29.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    $ 225.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 3.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside