Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

magnet.jpg
    84494.jpg
    22.gif
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Iron Man - Iron Monger is too easy to activate and disrupts the flow early on.

That's adjustable in the settings if you weren't aware.

#102 9 years ago

Teeter Totter thingy on BDK.... Yuck

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

RAMPS!! including under play field ramps. Waist of time waiting for the ball to return to game play. Then they usually deliver the ball nice and slowly to the flippers.........

Unlike the ball lock scenario on flight 2000.

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from superJackpot:

You can fix or drastically reduced this by bending the flap found inside around the corner from the lock entrance. It's positioned above the ball path just before the lock's final resting place. Bending it up or down as required will cause balls that are rejected to bounce down (and still lock) instead of bouncing out and back out the lock asentrance.

Must be adjustable because mine never bounces out.

#105 9 years ago

TZ skill shot because it's safer to avoid it.

#106 9 years ago

Avatar stealing locked balls? --> software keeps track of this so you're not really stealing it.
    Twilight zone right ramp diverter rollback --> no issue on the most I played
    TZ skill shot to avoid --> not if you install the home rom with ball saver.
    TZ lock bounce out --> with proper tweaking this can be solved almost completely

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

unless you change the settings to only start on center shot.

I play on location.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

TZ skill shot to avoid --> not if you install the home rom with ball saver.

Good to know, thanks.

Will home roms also put on a ball saver after hitting the Hitchhiker?

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Must be adjustable because mine never bounces out.

Its not really adjustable persay but it can be bent different ways to help with the bounce out issues . I have messed with mine and like I said it has good days and bad days depending on the weather apparently lol.its all good and part of pinball lol

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Cirqus Voltaire: Pointless video modes (the Amazing Roonie, Copy Cat)

You said it brother. The video modes on CV is the most disgusting aspect tacked on to the game. And firing the cannon gets pretty old pretty fast as well. To me video modes in general blow balls on any game and one of the lame features on 90's BW games.

The Addams Family - The terrible sound quality. If there is one game that is in serious need of a DCS sound upgrade its this game.

Monster Bash - The creature shot on bottom left of playfield. It just ruins the flow too much on the game.

Class of 1812 - Shitty rules all around. Sucks. This game isn't revered as much as it should because of the shitty rules.

#111 9 years ago

The mini-playfield on Jungle Lord.
    Takes up too much space. A larger upper playfield would be a much better setup.

#112 9 years ago

I love Metallica. BUT, the left outlane configuration causing cheap drains that are undeserved are starting to wear on my nerves.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from superJackpot:

You can fix or drastically reduced this by bending the flap found inside around the corner from the lock entrance. It's positioned above the ball path just before the lock's final resting place. Bending it up or down as required will cause balls that are rejected to bounce down (and still lock) instead of bouncing out and back out the lock entrance.

You can also fix this by putting spacers under the back legs of that same assembly. I used two of those wafer thin washers (that are supposed to sit between the playfield and ball guides) on each leg, and bounce outs went from like 40% to 5%.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

You can also fix this by putting spacers under the back legs of that same assembly. I used two of those wafer thin washers (that are supposed to sit between the playfield and ball guides) on each leg, and bounce outs went from like 40% to 5%.

Interesting I may have to try that could I just use some small washers also?

#115 9 years ago

STTNG outlanes. They completely ruin the game.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

STTNG outlanes. They completely ruin the game.

This has been discussed before... sttng outlanes do not ruin the game at all, you just have to learn to nudge at the right time, there's a lot of rubber on the top of that slingshot!

#118 9 years ago

The pop bumper configuration on TZ.
    Easily lose over half of my balls over there coming out of the pops, plus, it prevents you from going for the skill shot unless you've got the ball save turned on.
    Amazing game-terrible design with the pops though...

#119 9 years ago

I have the extenders and the right drain pop is set on easy so it never drains. the right drain is a magnet. just ruins the game.

#120 9 years ago

I love Tommy, but the mode start/Union Jack shot is frustrating as hell. A perfect shot will get rejected at least half the time.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Monster Bash: The phantom flip
    Cirqus Voltaire: Pointless video modes (the Amazing Roonie, Copy Cat)
    Stern Star Trek Premium: Ugly translight (thanks to Aurich for making a better one)

Ugly translite, maybe, but best looking cab art of the three models.

#122 9 years ago

Batman Dark Knight's gadget upper right playfield. I know its adjustable to make easier to complete, but I've never played one that doesn't require 85 hits to complete. Still love the game though.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Good to know, thanks.
    Will home roms also put on a ball saver after hitting the Hitchhiker?

I think the ball save on TZ is only for the first ball. You can change (in seconds) how long it is active in adjustments.

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

The ball trickling out of the pops on JP and going SDTM......consecutive times!

Holy crap. This. We just finished making the t-rex work after about 9 month of being on a diet, getting the shaker motor to work after it blew up when the power supply caught on fire, and getting everything working so that we could actually play it and enjoy it. Cleaned it, got the LEDs working just right, everything is perfect. Play a game... 3 balls in a row jump around the pops just long enough for ball save to turn off then straight between the flippers for a 30 second game. Sometimes I hate that machine.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from mab487:

I think the ball save on TZ is only for the first ball. You can change (in seconds) how long it is active in adjustments.

By default it's only on the first ball. You can turn it on for the other balls as well.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Interesting I may have to try that could I just use some small washers also?

Yeah, washers will work. (That's essentially what I'm using).

There is some discussion and pics of it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-newbie-restores-twilight-zone

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

TZ skill shot because it's safer to avoid it.

totally agree, but this is really a complaint about the pops!

#128 9 years ago

Gorgar and Black Hole:
    - you can't move the lit rollover lane with the flippers.
    - no meaningful skill shot.

Attack from Mars:
    - absurd score inflation results in like 6 meaningless zeroes on the end of your score.

Theatre of Magic:
    - "video pinball" is easily the worst video mode ever.

TOTAN:
    - after you rescue the princess, you get to watch a super long and boring DMD animation of you and her slowly flying across the screen on a carpet. it takes forever and is not skippable. on location, people probably wrongly assume the game is over at that point!

Monstar Bash:
    - Phantom Flipper: neat trick, but serves no useful purpose. good players will just be annoyed by the loss of control.

#129 9 years ago

STTNG: Goofy Lore Borg ship. Outlanes. Widebody. Picard's face on the backglass.

Oh wait...this was supposed to be for GREAT games.

My bad.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Shadow would be the perfect game if Tim Curry did not play up a silly gay character on the pin (he played a straight character in the movie).
    Why make him act gay?? It does not fit the pin or the movie.

This is what i was going to say

#131 9 years ago

AUTO PLUNGE!

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Iron Man, no skill shot. And it has a post blocker like Tron, so in theory it could implement similar skill shot like Tron.

Disable the post in the settings and it becomes a serious skill shot.....not worth a lot but still makes it difficult.

Quoted from roffels:

Iron Man - Iron Monger is too easy to activate and disrupts the flow early on.

Set it to "hard".

#133 9 years ago

that can be turned off

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

that can be turned off

Not when there isn't a plunger to manually do it

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

that can be turned off

They'd probably kick me out if I jimmied their games.

#136 9 years ago

1) Cirqus Voltaire. Video modes suck, and you get them all the time. Neon multiball is awesome, and you almost never see it.

2) Starship Troopers. That screech the one bug makes, but the giant brain bug bash toy that is really too dangerous to shoot for, for so few points.

3) Creature. Losing one of the multiballs and immediately shooting the snack-bar for a restart - only to shoot it just a second too early and it not count.

4) WCS94. That horrible left orbit into the left sling.

5) EATPM. Right ramp to VUK. That ramp needed to flow like the other, not stop.

6) Pinball Magic. Linear rule-set made otherwise fun layout a chore to play.

7) Whrilwind. Nothing. It's perfect.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Whirlwind:
    1. "pops to nowhere" -- upper pops don't randomize ball movement, score for you (barely), or drain on you. They are completely a waste of time. One of the worst pop pens in pinball.

Fixed!
    -mof

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Gorgar and Black Hole:
    - you can't move the lit rollover lane with the flippers.
    - no meaningful skill shot.

Gorgar.. sign of the times. If you dial back to when Gorgar was released, the game is brilliant.

I get it... you like the game as the thread content is "things that suck on great games". Being old enough to have played Gorgar on location when it was released, it is what it is and in that era totally was great.

But all that being said, you mentioning Gorgar on a "great games thread with..." I understand. I salute you for mentioning Gorgar as a great game.

#139 9 years ago

Gorgar is a great game. I understand pinball evolved over time and the lane rollover thing wasn't always standard operating procedure. I don't exactly hold it against it, but when I play it or Black Hole today, rotating the lit lane is always something I end up unconsciously trying to do, ya know?

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not when there isn't a plunger to manually do it

guess i'd need to know what game. my bsd had autoplunge on and it blew. turned it off and its my favorite game.

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

guess i'd need to know what game. my bsd had autoplunge on and it blew. turned it off and its my favorite game.

Bsd dont have a plunger tho?

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

BSD outlanes...
    TAF outlanes...

Hey Paul

If your TAF outlanes are giving you headaches & nightmares, why don't you just sell it to me?

Dan

#143 9 years ago

Pinbot: the upper left kickout hole. It's about a 5 second stall for bonus announcement and spit out. Would have been better if just a target, kickback, or something that keeps the ball moving. Pinbot is not know for being a very fast flowing game to begin with.

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Fixed!
    -mof

The upper pops are a punishment for not making a clean shot to your intended orbit or target. I rarely ever get into them. I see you must have a shot accuracy problem.....

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Artwork on AC/DC . Playfield art on Stern Star Trek . Otherwise both are great games .

At least the playfield artwork on ST doesn't have actors faces on it....

Rob

#146 9 years ago

The "launch ball" button on MM. I hate games that have a fire button that's not even themed with the rest of the game. Give me a gun like IJ or a handle like A13 or something. A button is such a cop out and eliminates any chance of a skill shot.

#147 9 years ago

The coffin on BSD. Specifically the back portion. I removed the back part on mine because it looks so god-awful garish.

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

The coffin on BSD. Specifically the back portion. I removed the back part on mine because it looks so god-awful garish.

Pics?

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

why don't you just sell it to me?

No.

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The "launch ball" button on MM. I hate games that have a fire button that's not even themed with the rest of the game. Give me a gun like IJ or a handle like A13 or something. A button is such a cop out and eliminates any chance of a skill shot.

What was the first game that had launcher that would auto-plunge, when in multiball, and allow self plunging? Scared Stiff?

Edit: I guess Twilight Zone kind of had this, but it was a separate shooter lane. So I'm asking which was the first with both combined.

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/things-that-suck-on-great-games/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.