Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

magnet.jpg
    84494.jpg
    22.gif
    There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 9 years ago

No Rob, actually I play my Flight 2000 and my Space Invaders that I have fully restored.

#53 9 years ago

I love my Transformers LE, but that mini right play field stinks!! Boy, I like Gomez, but he's getting a lot of nods in this thread.....

Hey, sweet thread topic though. A fun read!

Brian

#54 9 years ago

Gimli hole in LOTR. I hate the fact that a clean shot will go through.

#55 9 years ago

I'm not a fan of the S-T-E-P target implementation on Funhouse. Could have been better.

#56 9 years ago

LOTR-Shire drop I could never understand why it just drops and if not protected it wears quickly
    Black Rose Video Mode swimming away from Shark gets old quick
    Transformers LE upper playfield fun at first then...meh

#57 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

The trunk on TOM breaking all the time I feel like I replace that thing way to often

DITTO! Worlds most fragile play field toy. Every shot sends another piece of plastic flying.

#58 9 years ago

The Johnny Mnemonic game being based on such a crappy movie.

Bride of Pinbot only really being about shooting the left ramp.

Black Hole having the glass too close to the play field, causing frequent air ball smashes into it.

The annoying sounds of the Dr. Who game. There's also no call outs form "The Master" who the games supposed to be about.

These are the reasons I traded out what would otherwise be keepers. Still great games though.

#59 9 years ago

WOZ TNPLH left drain (I mean waste of time......how many many years have been spent on that mode?)

#60 9 years ago

Probably not what you meant by the thread title but DOWNTIME!

It is the number one thing that truly sucks about great games.

#61 9 years ago

That there is basically no incentive to getting a multiball on centaur. No jackpot shot, no increase in scoring, just a multiball. When I found that out my interest in that game dropped in a huge way.

#62 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

That there is basically no incentive to getting a multiball on centaur. No jackpot shot, no increase in scoring, just a multiball. When I found that out my interest in that game dropped in a huge way.

The whole point of Centaur is to get more balls added while multiball is going so you can safely keep playing without worry of a drain.

#63 9 years ago

The way the ball just dribbles into the scoop on Xmen and IJ4.
    The way the left orbit gets caught in the pops on TWD.
    The fact that Seek and Destroy makes it harder for you to collect items to qualify for crank it up modes in MET.
    Harsh ball save rules on Pat Lawlor games.
    Adjusting the damn slot machine kickout on TZ.
    The auto-shoot cannon with no ball save when you get the ball into the cannon but dont have a cannon shot lit in ACDC.
    The volcano scoop being so fragile on Congo.
    The zombie head inside of the prison building on TWD - should have been a varia target like in RBION.

#64 9 years ago

Mine was already taken (Outlanes on STTNG).......hmmmm....

IM's too new and everything seems great so far. HSII?....nope, all good (maybe the video mode).

The ball trickling out of the pops on JP and going SDTM......consecutive times!

#65 9 years ago

The outlanes

#66 9 years ago

I hate the way the game arbitrarily moves the diverters between balls on The Shadow. Okay, maybe I should just be paying more attention, but it's unbelievably frustrating to have the diverters set the way I want them, then hit the ramp only to realise the ball's now going the wrong way.

#67 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Balls getting stuck under the iron monger during multiball when it drops back into the playfield on Iron Man.

Oh geeze... I had this happen to me a couple league nights ago, and it happened in multiball while I had two balls left. I figured, "I'll just knock it out with the other ball!" ... and then BOTH balls ended up stuck underneath! >_<;

#68 9 years ago

Double ferris wheels on Hurricane. Oh wait... great games...never mind.

#69 9 years ago

Wolverine on XMEN. The actual toy, the multiball rules, frequency of getting it, breakage...just weak all around in an otherwise pretty solid game.

#70 9 years ago

The random kickout from the pop bumpers on TZ is the only thing I dislike about that great game. I hate when the result of a made shot in a game (in this case, the skill shot) is a drain.

#71 9 years ago

WPT's manual launcher - totally useless here.

#72 9 years ago

Tz when its in one of its moods where when trying to lock a ball ,it bounces out 7 times in s row but then on another day or even game it never bounces out . I swear it depends on the weather or temperature of the metal lol

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

Monster Bash: The phantom flip

I despise the phantom flip.

#74 9 years ago

my 'ol lady ?

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Double ferris wheels on Hurricane. Oh wait... great games...never mind.

If we are going to bring hurricane into the mix, then bonus x is completely worthless. There is next to no score in bonus so any multiplier is also worthless.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

The trunk on TOM breaking all the time I feel like I replace that thing way to often

I put a layer of silicon RTV on the inside of mine and it seemed to make it last.

#77 9 years ago

TAF - Waiting for the hand to take the ball and put it back. Just long enough to annoy you, and not long enough to grab a beer.

#78 9 years ago

FWIW Phantom Flip on MB can be disabled. I did it on mine.

#79 9 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

The cannon blocking player viewing the right inlane/outlane of AC/DC.

+1 totally agree, ACDC is such a great game and that is the only draw back.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

The whole point of Centaur is to get more balls added while multiball is going so you can safely keep playing without worry of a drain.

I know that there is inherent value in any multiball in that you have more balls to drain, I just think there shoud be some scoring incentive. I stand by what I said, that game would be much better and far more rewarding if you got double or triple scoring like you do in Black Knight or Fathom. Those are games from the same era too, its not like that was unheard of, it feels like an oversight.

Its still a great game, but it is still a "thing that sucks on a great game" which would be the topic of this thread.

#81 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

The random kickout from the pop bumpers on TZ is the only thing I dislike about that great game. I hate when the result of a made shot in a game (in this case, the skill shot) is a drain.

Agreed, and the incentive for the skill shot is so low that most players simply skip the whole thing, maybe if the reward was more tempting...

#82 9 years ago

Artwork on AC/DC . Playfield art on Stern Star Trek . Otherwise both are great games .

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

FWIW Phantom Flip on MB can be disabled. I did it on mine.

Yeah I know, if I owned one it would be the first thing I did.

#84 9 years ago

Loving WCS but the soccer ball constantly rotating starts to get kind of old... wish it was stopped more of the time and it doesn't seem like it catches the ball that much (but maybe I just need a new one?).

#85 9 years ago
    84494.jpg84494.jpg
    #86 9 years ago

"Video pinball" video mode in TOM. Boring and lame.

Weak left magnet that drains ball in TOM, combined with lack of programming to give second Chance ball when this happens.

Unbalanced scoring in Doctor Who.

#87 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

The mine kickout in Whitewater is very unpredictable. It gets used a lot during regular gameplay and super annoying when it drains the ball without a chance of saving it.

This varies from WH2O to WH2O. If yours is flaky, that can be tuned up.

#88 9 years ago

Lack of stereo or better sound quality in dmd games. This should never have become an issue as the technology and cost was low enough to have been used in all games from 90's on. It is a major insult especially on music pins - tommy, gnr acdc and met - and on games where music plays a big part - wh20, im, tron etc.

#89 9 years ago

Iron Man, no skill shot. And it has a post blocker like Tron, so in theory it could implement similar skill shot like Tron.

#90 9 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Lack of stereo or better sound quality in dmd games. This should never have become an issue as the technology and cost was low enough to have been used in all games from 90's on. It is a major insult especially on music pins - tommy, gnr acdc and met - and on games where music plays a big part - wh20, im, tron etc.

I think it was more an limit of storage space and the will to get the most out of one board set. also for games on site the sound was good.

#91 9 years ago

Iron Man - Iron Monger is too easy to activate and disrupts the flow early on.

#92 9 years ago

Clean shots being rejected from the ball lock on Twilight Zone.

#93 9 years ago

Twilight zone diverter not waiting long enough when the ball bounces off it. That magnet should be factory. Drives me crazy.

magnet.jpgmagnet.jpg
    #94 9 years ago

The Glove on JM

#95 9 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

The video mode on (name any otherwise good pin with a video mode)

I love the video modes on IJ

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Iron Man - Iron Monger is too easy to activate and disrupts the flow early on.

unless you change the settings to only start on center shot.

#97 9 years ago

Love IJ and just picked up my second one (a mint 'Tom Palmer' pristine restored example)- mode hole always seems to need extra love to get tweaked just right. (The video modes are great on IJ- IMO).

#98 9 years ago

Ferris wheels on Hurricane and paddleboat on Maverick slow game play. Although I don't hate it but I hear people complain about these a lot.

#99 9 years ago

Things like mode start hole bounce outs on IJ, weak magnet on TOM, and lost mine kick out on WH2O are just things needing adjustment.

#100 9 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Tz when its in one of its moods where when trying to lock a ball ,it bounces out 7 times in s row but then on another day or even game it never bounces out . I swear it depends on the weather or temperature of the metal lol

You can fix or drastically reduced this by bending the flap found inside around the corner from the lock entrance. It's positioned above the ball path just before the lock's final resting place. Bending it up or down as required will cause balls that are rejected to bounce down (and still lock) instead of bouncing out and back out the lock entrance.

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/things-that-suck-on-great-games/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.