Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

When I was a young pinball player (teen)- I was born in the late 60s, so that gives you a timeframe- 80s was my decade. Anyway, I used to perform all manner of abuses to pinball machines, lifting, dropping, banging, trying to defeat the coin takers, taking the back off to credit up video games, and many other things that I'm sure I should have spent time behind bars for. Hell if some little rug-rat did that to my games now I'd call the police! That said...

There are things that might be questionable. For instance, I saw a maneuver on Youtube the other day where you bang the machine in a certain way and the ball will pop back out if it drains. I forget the technical name, but I don't see how it could be too effective if the tilt were set correctly. So that I would think would be a bad thing, abuse for sure, If I saw someone hitting my games in this manner I would ask them to stop or leave. Now. "Don't be violent with my games man! Come over here and play this punch bag game..."

How about the Whack-Launch of the pinball by hitting the plunger instead of pulling it back the way it's meant to be used? I've been wondering- Is that against tournament rules? As long as you don't tilt it, it goes? Seems to me though that if a person did that to their game on a regular basis the'd be buying some of outer shooter springs from time to time. However, I recall using that maneuver on Black Knight when you have a ball in the shooter lane AND the extra ball lit, sometimes if you hold the right flipper and whack the plunger, it'll roll up and score the EB. I guess that borders on abuse. Opinions?

Sometimes I wonder about my flipper usage. Honestly, I'm sort of a hermit and don't play pinball with too many other people. One of my only pinball friends Rob, was watching me play the other day and commented on how much, and how I use the flippers. I'm not saying the child-style wildly banging both flippers, but more I'll tend to hold one flipper on at all times, on the side that the ball is coming down on - that way, if the ball comes really fast, I'll have a chance to grab it with the other flipper. I find this technique invaluable on some of the newer games that spit the ball down extremely fast - um, Circus Voltaire? And there are some other games where the upper part of the playfield is shielded, so sometimes you won't kno exactly WHERE the ball will shoot out from. BK2K can be a little like that, but I can't think of a great example at the moment. Playing my Old Chicago with those pop bumpers right by the flippers, it's just part of the game play on that one.

Using the flippers even when there is no ball to hit - is that abuse?

I know several times when I was a teen I heard people say to me, "Hey, leave some for the rest of us!" And to all those times when I let my testosterone get the better of me, I apologize to all the operators (and repair men) who's games I abused, and to the people who had to play the games after me.

-dPinball

#2 7 years ago

Death saves are abuse, using the flippers is not. You just rebuild them when it's time. No biggie

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

Not Really. Kids (some adults too) have done this since flipper buttons were invented. These pinball machines are commercial machines that can handle repetitive use.

#4 7 years ago

Pinball machines are designed/manufactured to handle a certain amount of nudging/shaking during game play. Not a big deal. Owners/operators can just set the tilt sensitivity at whatever level gives them peace of mind.

Scratching/gouging cabinets, breaking parts, kicking/denting the coin door, excessively scratching the floor, breaking the glass, making parts fall off inside the cabinet, stealing toppers, are all examples of abusive behavior that is over the top imho.

Setting drinks on machines is pretty much frowned upon, even if they don't tip over and spill. Just bad form.
My pinball friends and I (and many others) mount drink holders on the front or sides of the machines and/or have tables near-by to make it easy for players to not be a dick concerning where they set their drinks.

BDP,

I encourage you to posts in Swampfire's "The Confessional" thread here on Pinside Forum in the All Pinball sub-forum.
I'm sure you have some good stories from the old days to entertain us with -and- to help clear your conscience.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from bdPinball:

How about the Whack-Launch of the pinball by hitting the plunger instead of pulling it back the way it's meant to be used? I've been wondering- Is that against tournament rules? As long as you don't tilt it, it goes?

I've done this in a tournament when pulling the plunger back wasn't giving me a clean hit, preventing me from hitting the skill shot. No one said anything and I wasn't the only one doing it, so I assume it's legal.

Quoted from bdPinball:

You should always do this before plunging the first ball. Flippers on some games are weak or have a slight delay and it's better to know about this before you need to hit the ball.

Quoted from bdPinball:

I saw a maneuver on Youtube the other day where you bang the machine in a certain way and the ball will pop back out if it drains. I forget the technical name, but I don't see how it could be too effective if the tilt were set correctly. So that I would think would be a bad thing, abuse for sure, If I saw someone hitting my games in this manner I would ask them to stop or leave. Now. "Don't be violent with my games man! Come over here and play this punch bag game..."

That would be either a death save or a bangback. Illegal in tournaments. Controversial at other times, although I've never understood why. I can't see any difference between these moves and any other nudge (although some players actually kick the machine leg while attempting a death save, which definitely is abuse). I have absolutely no problem trying them on my own games, but don't try it on sited machines, because I know some owners have a problem with them.

#6 7 years ago

I'd be interested in taking a look at the confessional, but my right to self incrimination makes me think just generally anecdotally is good enough- and really, those things I described were the complete extent to my abuse.

Thanks for the feedback regarding personal treatment of games, and how owner/operators, may feel about some of the less conventional methods of play. I guess that's the whole reason behind the tilt.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/things-i-wouldnt-do-to-my-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.