Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 763 posts
  • 256 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by NJGecko
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Libertine_bm.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430565.jpg
    8b30e3f75426d5c9a5b76a9c033295d6.gif
    ghf.jpg
    super-computer-nerd.jpeg
    angey_driver.jpg
    Pimp_Bitch_Pay_Up.jpeg
    WutDa.jpg
    no.gif
    image.jpg
    TeddyKGB_PAYTHATMANHISMONEY.gif
    gary.jpg
    Pay_Up_Bitch.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 763 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 16.
    #701 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Do any of you really think Kevin still has the money? I kinda doubt it......

That is what I think. Kevin already spent all of the money on who knows what and is just trying to worm his way out of this.

#702 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Thank you, but where was mail or wire communication used?

a cheque was sent through the mail

#703 8 years ago

This may be an option

image.jpgimage.jpg

#704 8 years ago

There are three elements to mail and wire fraud:

Intent;
    A "scheme or artifice to defraud" or the obtaining of property by fraud; and,
    A mail or wire communication.[4]
    To be fraudulent, a misrepresentation must be material.[5]

Mail fraud applies only to United States domestic mailings and use of interstate carriers (UPS, FedEx) which must originate in one state, and successfully terminate pursuant to the address label inside another state, a transportation that is termed "interstate" (over which Congress has power to regulate) and does require that the mailing cross at least one state line into another state; wire fraud has been expanded by Congress to include foreign wire communication or interstate connections via (e.g.) an e-mail server or telephone switch or radio communication.[6]

In this case if there was payment sent via USPS or FEDEX/UPS, it's considered mail fraud. The use of email or internet also makes it Mail fraud in the eyes of USPS.

#706 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinBallMagician:

The use of email or internet also makes it Mail fraud in the eyes of USPS.

Can you point me to the source of this? I can't find any examples of USPS, or any source, stating that the use of email or the internet can be construed as USPS mail fraud. This is directly from USPS:

"Fraud on the Internet results in mail fraud when “cyberscammers” receive payments and ship items via the U.S. Mail."

#707 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

Thank you, but where was mail or wire communication used?

The OP sent Kevin a check for the game through the USPS mail.

Kevin cashed the check.

Kevin did not ship a game to the OP, because he did not actually have said game.

Kevin did not refund the money.

Federal Mail Fraud.

#708 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eryeal:

I can't find any examples of USPS, or any source, stating that the use of email or the internet can be construed as USPS mail fraud.

I think he means that even if a scam starts with contact from a PM or Email, if the USPS is used at some point in the transaction, it falls under Federal Mail Fraud.

Literally:

"U.S. Postal Inspectors investigate any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme--whether it originated in the mail, by telephone, or on the Internet"

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/mailfraud/mailfraud.aspx

#709 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Kevin cashed the check.
    Kevin did not ship a game to the OP, because he did not actually have said game.
    Federal Mail Fraud.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Vid has this on point. No joke; guys at the USPS make thier careers/promotions based off this type of shit! Dont F around within the USPS system, they dont play!

#710 8 years ago

Everybody, I was just made aware of this thread (on vacation). While I sympathize with OP, let me please remind you that threats of violence are absolutely not welcome on Pinside.

There's some legal advice being posted here on what to do when you get scammed like this, a subject which I would like to keep open for discussion.

But the mob "kick his ass" mentality has got to stop right now. Some of the stuff being posted here is downright scary and definitely not Pinside material. If this keeps going, the thread will be locked.

#711 8 years ago

It's sounds like there are multiple legal avenues that can be taken. I have had a few offers of trades/sales using shipping across the country and have always been apprehensive because of the deal potentially going down like this. To many of us who are in this expensive hobby this would be a big blow to anyone. I keep coming back to the thread to see if it ever gets straightened out and I hope it does. I don't believe the OP has any intension of hurting anyone he just seems to be very frustrated, nobody likes to get burned. Thankfully he has an outlet to use his words and not his fists. It's unfortunate that the OP will have to waste more of his time and resources to just recoup money owed to him. The seller must not want to be involved in pinball anymore since most people on here are not going to want to deal with him. This is a tight nit community and people talk to each other. From a fellow New Englander I hope this all works out in the end and I hope this doesn't ruin the hobby for you.

#712 8 years ago

Awww I hate being in China and missing the good threads! Isn't this beautiful, the one time a year the stern fan boys and the JJP fan boys can all come together and get behind one of our own no matter which camp he lies. The lowest of the low (Douche bag who steals). Some great one liners here and for gods sake Kevin, just give Spidey or Darkknight his friggin money back!

#713 8 years ago

DK, you keep bringing up the predator case, etc. Your case is not like that. Those cases have not been resolved YET. This is mostly due to the number of victims and paperwork that needs to be filed for each victim, etc. You are in a pretty good place. I don't see how the courts will not rule in your favor. Sure Kevin may not pay up, but some things are more satisfying than getting your money back, like ruining his credit rating. He is a small business owner who soon won't be able to take out new loans and will see the interest rates on his CC's, etc start to rise. This will be on his record and won't come off for seven years. SEVEN YEARS.

I find your "the law doesn't work" and "lawyers can't be trusted" comments to be pretty weak. What do you know, you haven't bothered to try. Man up and get it done. Most small jurisdictions don't have their own departments that is nothing new. File the report with the state troopers. Just because you played nice with the guy previously doesn't mean you should come on here now and start making threats now. That is not going to accomplish anything for you, in fact just the opposite. Just to make you aware Kevin has a pretty good case against YOU right now because of this thread and the threats you and others have made. You may just be the first one with a knock at your door. Be smart. Stop posturing. Much like Kevin doesn't want to this mark on his record you're not going to want an assault, harassment, etc charge on yours. That doesn't get wiped off.

I have tomorrow off, I would be more than happy to do some leg work for you. I would recommend finding someone with a cooler head to explain to Kevin what is going to happen when the court proceedings begin. How much damage this $3800 is going to do to him long term. I would also stop playing the part of the psycho, it's not going to help you with the law long term either.

#714 8 years ago

Great advice ^^^^^^

#715 8 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Just to make you aware Kevin has a pretty good case against YOU right now because of this thread and the threats you and others have made.

This is good advice, keep this in mind when posting.

#716 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Everybody, I was just made aware of this thread (on vacation). While I sympathize with OP, let me please remind you that threats of violence are absolutely not welcome on Pinside.
    There's some legal advice being posted here on what to do when you get scammed like this, a subject which I would like to keep open for discussion.
    But the mob "kick his ass" mentality has got to stop right now. Some of the stuff being posted here is downright scary and definitely not Pinside material. If this keeps going, the thread will be locked.

Thank you Robin. It won't happen again. What is most scary is not people's reaction to this, as I think all of this is to be expected given the situation.....what is scary is we live in a world where people think they can get away with it........and further more the law protects them. I am Filing all the paper work today, we will see what happens. Please don't shut down this thread, this guy is reading it and needs to see it. Feel free to edit it as you see fit. I will donate money if it takes you time. In his mind he thinks he is justified, he needs to see how his brothers judge him. This is like a mini court. Until I get to IN, it's all I got.

#717 8 years ago

dark knight > what is the back story in why Kevin would feel justified in keeping your money?

#718 8 years ago

Many here may cringe and say 'that's scary' at the thought of someone taking a monster garbage can beating for stealing... But isn't that the point? There are dudes out there who have 'the rage'.
    Op may be full of it with his background story. (mma to settle debts sure sounds awesome to me) true or not it is a reminder not to f with random dudes.. You might bump into a scary one.

#719 8 years ago

Well said..............Joey

#720 8 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

kick the shit out of him.

Uh, you do realize that you've been in a very similar situation to this, you being the guy who tried to rip somebody off.

#721 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Kevin cashed the check.
    Federal Mail Fraud.

Why isn't JPOP in jail for this? He recieved more than 100 checks this way, are legal system is messed up!

#722 8 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Why isn't JPOP in jail for this? He recieved more than 100 checks this way, are legal system is messed up!

Big difference. Jpop is claiming no "intention" to defraud. He is actually claiming he is still trying to make a game. He is treating it like an investment in a company that might fail.

This case is a deliberate scheme to take money from multiple buyers for one item for sale. Very straight forward.

#723 8 years ago

Our legal system is meant to protect the innocent; it just doesn’t seem to always work out that way. sigh!

#724 8 years ago

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-63

Remember when I called the cops on Kulek in his hometown and everyone on pinside THRASHED me? Then a week later the BIG news came out.....well Someone call the cops!

#725 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

image.jpg
    Vid has this on point. No joke; guys at the USPS make thier careers/promotions based off this type of shit! Dont F around within the USPS system, they dont play!

Do you SERIOUSLY believe that the USPS is a customer-driven entity with 95% customer satisfaction that is full of real go-getters, with tons of brains and drive and ambition, who are richly rewarded for excellent performance on their jobs and whose mainest mission in the morning is to get down to the office on time to jump on a case like this involving $3800?

Even if the Post Office had the inclination or a clue, there are 1200 Postal Inspectors on the payroll. That's 24 per state. It's also 275,000 people for every one Postal Inspector. There are 600,000 USPS employees, but just 1200 Postal Inspectors, comprising .002 of USPS employees.

Sorry, one place not to waste your time on this is the Post Office.

The other place not to waste your time is The Pinside Posse. They will be as effective as the Iraqi Army when time comes to take back the town.

#726 8 years ago
    Quoted from jchiu:

Once the judgment is rendered and becomes public, good luck getting credit in the near future.

Sadly, this may only effect him for about two years ( even though it will stay on report for 7 years). $3800 judgement really will only pull his score down about 150-200 points. That score can easily be rebuilt.
    A garnishment of some sort would be a whole heck of a lot better. At least some money would be coming in.

#727 8 years ago

Post office directly hands over to the FBI

#728 8 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

In a lot of states.....anything over 5 hundy is a felony

Illinois is $300, Iowa is I think $1000 or $1500.

I had a guy from Iowa bounce me a check for service of around $800. I live in Illinois. He thought the bounced check would only be a misdemeanor. He found out real quick he was facing Illinois Felony charges. I got my money toot sweet as soon as he got a call from States attorneys office explaining his felonious check bouncing.

#729 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zampinator:

I just got off the phone with Kevin.
    1) He is going to refund the money he received from the OP. All of it 100%
    2) He is going to come on here & give his side of the story, when he's calmed down & ready. And he needs to.

we still be waiting.

#730 8 years ago

Guys, I have asked Robin to shut this thread down. Kevin has been humiliated enough and it is possible he had every intention of paying me back before I blew this thing up. Time for everyone to take a break, mostly me. Thanks for all of the support. All authorities have been contacted. I have reached out to kevin one last time. I still Plan on going to Indiana soon to meet him, hopefully have some dinner, play some pinball with him and resolve this.

#731 8 years ago

IBTL.

#732 8 years ago

This thread sucked.

#733 8 years ago

Also a big difference in legal protections afforded to business entities i.e. LLC's and INC's versus an individual. The legal system isn't messed up it just hasn't run its course yet in term s of JPOP. His is a multiple party case IF Nick decides to take legal action here he is one plaintiff taking a single individual to court. Not an LLC, not an INC.

#734 8 years ago

Kevin had ZERO intentions of paying you back or he already would have regardless of this thread or not.

F@ck him.

#735 8 years ago

So everyone over reacted? Good to see it will all work out.

#736 8 years ago

Leave it open so we will know the outcome!

#737 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Guys, I have asked Robin to shut this thread down.

Well that was anti-climatic.

#738 8 years ago

This thread really got my blood boiling. There's nothing I hate more than a crook.

#739 8 years ago

Libertine_bm.jpgLibertine_bm.jpg

#740 8 years ago

And what will the angry mob feast on next?

#741 8 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Back to hating GOT art work?

#742 8 years ago

Even locked, I hope this scum pays you back everything you are owed.

#743 8 years ago

Wendy's has ten piece nuggets, fries, and a drink for $4 right now.

#744 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

dark knight > what is the back story in why Kevin would feel justified in keeping your money?

Glad to see cool heads prevail. But whysnow is right, something seems to be omitted.

#745 8 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

(Soon to be coming) GoT HBO LE version thread, with instruction card signed by Tyrion, Sansa, Daenerys and Reek for $12k.

#746 8 years ago

yup, come on guys let's grab our torches and head back over to that "art" thread.. nothing more to do here

#747 8 years ago
    Quoted from joestro78:

Wendy's has ten piece nuggets, fries, and a drink for $4 right now.

Booger King has nuggets 10 for $1.50 and they work faster than Ex-Lax.

#748 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

No chance I would cash a personal check of his......On a lighter note, what are the chances we get to 1000 posts.

Guess we won't see 1000 posts now.

#749 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

For the record my name is Kevin and I have never screwed anyone!

What about Pin3k,you took all our deposits and delivered nothing.It doesn't take this long to build a space elevator!

#750 8 years ago

Wow, i just got a call from paypal about this guy! Hmm i guess he will be put on my banned list from ordering from me. Paypal is looking for his address phone number ect.. i want to help them find him if i can. Too bad.

There are 763 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 16.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thief-indiana-pinhead-kevin-gaskins/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.