Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

double.gif
    4b69fa75e6c62303e1dfadd587839b27 (resized).jpg
    96854C81-0113-45CD-B948-457DFCB619D4 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.04.24 AM (resized).png
    20200215083500_20200215084000_0_thumb (resized).jpg
    20200215065500_20200215070000_0_thumb (resized).jpg
    Resized_20200213_132845 (resized).jpeg
    tenor5.gif
    e037b07f7ee3f1bef0ef1b4f9138418a--miami-memes (resized).jpg
    765BB5AB-FDC4-4BA1-B17C-4DE7E8C41AEC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200204_205341 (resized).jpg
    suspicious (resized).jpg
    2E44488E-BC52-4EBA-87DC-77BFFD412D2D (resized).jpeg
    32162D0F-F18F-4529-AC0F-F34B2F475D35 (resized).jpeg
    BD4B54AB-F3F0-4602-908C-DDF7343DA054 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CKrueger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I'm curious, what is your privacy concern about a doorbell cam or outdoor cam? I have a ring doorbell myself but would never have any cams inside the house for privacy reasons. Nor would I have any google or alexa thing for the same reason. But having cams outside doesn't concern me whatsoever. Its not seeing anything that my neighbor looking out their window or someone walking down the street wouldn't see. I also have an alarm on the house.

Ooh, I have concerns about this! I can speak for my own concerns, which may or may not be similar to others'.

The known issues with Ring are:

* Amazon and their contract staff and business partners can monitor everything on your camera
    * Police departments get access to your videos without your consent
    * Cameras have been compromised and become available to random people on the Internet, for listening, video monitoring, and to send audio

It's tough to describe a hypothetical without people passing you off as paranoid, but let's say I was a bad guy with access to Ring equipment. I would:

1. Monitor equipment in an area near my home
    2. Record coming and going times (ie: car pulls out of the garage at 7am every day, never comes back until 4pm)
    3. Visit the house, keeping clear of the camera when nobody is home

Or maybe I'd:

1. See that mom and dad's car left the house
    2. See that the kid is in their bedroom
    3. Mess with the kid

Or maybe I'd:

1. Get as many cameras as I could in an area
    2. Store all footage I can
    3. Face recognize everyone I can, tag, and correlate with Facebook information
    4. Do things to people's houses when they're not at home

There's a bunch you COULD do. It's probably paranoid to think anyone would pay attention to you enough to actually do it, but for the same reason I lock my house and my car, I don't like to expose myself to unnecessary risk with my technology. The only reason to do so is for the convenience they offer, and for me the convenience isn't worth the risk.

I used to have a Ring doorbell, but we recently moved, and I did not install it in the new house. I'm not too worried about abuse, to be honest, but the doorbell wasn't some kind of amazing feature, either.

I'm also dragging my feet on re-upgrading my smoke detectors to Nest, because they have motion sensors, which are a great way to tell Google if you're home or not.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CKrueger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thief-caught-on-my-ring-camera-?tu=CKrueger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.