Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

double.gif
    4b69fa75e6c62303e1dfadd587839b27 (resized).jpg
    96854C81-0113-45CD-B948-457DFCB619D4 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.04.24 AM (resized).png
    20200215083500_20200215084000_0_thumb (resized).jpg
    20200215065500_20200215070000_0_thumb (resized).jpg
    Resized_20200213_132845 (resized).jpeg
    tenor5.gif
    e037b07f7ee3f1bef0ef1b4f9138418a--miami-memes (resized).jpg
    765BB5AB-FDC4-4BA1-B17C-4DE7E8C41AEC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200204_205341 (resized).jpg
    suspicious (resized).jpg
    2E44488E-BC52-4EBA-87DC-77BFFD412D2D (resized).jpeg
    32162D0F-F18F-4529-AC0F-F34B2F475D35 (resized).jpeg
    BD4B54AB-F3F0-4602-908C-DDF7343DA054 (resized).jpeg

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Agreed BUT an unlocked car door is an invitation to a thief. You can't expect the cops to care about a theft if you invite the thief to steal your stuff.

My truck was stolen last week. Are you suggesting i invited them to steal it because i may of accidentally left a door unlocked?

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

My truck was stolen last week. Are you suggesting i invited them to steal it because i may of accidentally left a door unlocked?

Yes you are a triple Dumba$$.

But not stupid!! There's a difference!

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

And the keys in the ignition!

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry completely ridiculous view. Why not steal the trailer too

Your chair is safe because it can't be taken to walmart and quickly traded for a $10 bill with no questions asked. Petty thieves are opportunists. He saw the battery as he drove by, looked at his gas gauge, noticed it was on "E", snagged the battery and traded it for $10 at walmart, got 3 gallons of gas.

Even when caught redhanded and confronted by the "victim". What were his consequences? Nothing. Not a punch in the face, a slashed tire, a smashed windshield and doubtfully, a visit from the cops.

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Yes, if the doors were unlocked, you invited them inside. If you left your keys in it then absolutely YES, you invited them to take it. I wouldn't even call that stealing. I'd call that borrowing or just taking.

I doubt they were specifically targeting your exact make and model. They took it because you made it easy for them and they needed a ride home. Sorry but true.

#156 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Your chair is safe because it can't be taken to walmart and quickly traded for a $10 bill with no questions asked. Petty thieves are opportunists. He saw the battery as he drove by, looked at his gas gauge, noticed it was on "E", snagged the battery and traded it for $10 at walmart, got 3 gallons of gas.
    Even when caught redhanded and confronted by the "victim". What were his consequences? Nothing. Not a punch in the face, a slashed tire, a smashed windshield and doubtfully, a visit from the cops.

Now a thief is an "Opportunist"?? lol Sorry, a thief is a thief in my book not a scavenger entrepreneur.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Yes, if the doors were unlocked, you invited them inside. If you left your keys in it then absolutely YES, you invited them to take it. I wouldn't even call that stealing. I'd call that borrowing or just taking.
    I doubt they were specifically targeting your exact make and model. They took it because you made it easy for them and they needed a ride home. Sorry but true.

What the fuck is wrong with you? If you really believe this, then YOU are what's wrong with society today. Good grief, I can't even. Wow, just wow.

#158 4 years ago

I still have the key. Whether the door was locked or not does not make it right for someone else to "borrow" it as you've stated. Btw, door was locked. They must of popped the lock (no glass on the street) and smashed the steering column or something

Quoted from d0n:

Thanks for the insight on how idiot criminals think! Weird you know so much about it tho

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Under that logic if you left your back door unlocked and someone broke in and assaulted either your child, wife or grandmother its their fault for forgetting to lock the door? C'mon man. Sorry but that's asinine

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Theft does not require 'breaking and entering'
    Theft is theft.

My point was people are careless and don't do the simple things that will prevent them being a victim, ie locking doors.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

They must of popped the lock (no glass on the street) and smashed the steering column or something

Sheese dude they don't even need to break the glass anymore. They have shown several thefts caught on camera here in Cincy and they just walk up and use some type of electronic gadget and it just unlocks it and will start it if you have that remote start feature installed. I know it sounds crazy but they said they just link to your fob and open it, so no one is safe from it unless you block the fob with metal of some type

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

My point was people are careless and don't do the simple things that will prevent them being a victim, ie locking doors.

That's a brilliant unimpeachable point and we appreciate you making it.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

People often tell me ''well people shouldn't commit crimes, they have no right to go into my vehicle just because it's unlocked. I totally agree with this but you can either cry about how people should act or take action to make yourself less likely to be a victim. I'm only talking about car break ins , 99.9% of the times it's teenage kids walking around checking for unlocked doors. Crime of oppertunity. Most times they just get some spare change but once in a while someone will leave valubles,cash or the best one I had was people leaving the key fob to start the car in the car and the car gets stolen. No people shouldn't steal other people's things but they do, that's reality.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

People often tell me ''well people shouldn't commit crimes, they have no right to go into my vehicle just because it's unlocked. I totally agree with this but you can either cry about how people should act or take action to make yourself less likely to be a victim. I'm only talking about car break ins , 99.9% of the times it's teenage kids walking around checking for unlocked doors. Crime of oppertunity. Most times they just get some spare change but once in a while someone will leave valubles,cash or the best one I had was people leaving the key fob to start the car in the car and the car gets stolen. No people shouldn't steal other people's things but they do, that's reality.

But did you even read this thread?

The OP isn't "crying" about anything. He just posted a video of some asshole stealing a $10 trailer chock from his driveway, and then let us know about how the story ended up, with him confronting the guy at a bagel store.

It was mildly entertaining and we all moved on with our lives, until the "YOU MORONS ARE ASKING FOR IT!!!" brigade showed up. Like, what's the point? It's not like he left his brand new La-Z-boy on the sidewalk, or his wife's best jewelry in the driveway.

Is the argument that he should be so ashamed of his stupidity he shouldn't have posted the video here? Or that he deserved to lose a dead battery and we should be celebrating the perpetrator, and perhaps contributing to his legal defense?

In classic Big style, "I don't get it."

#165 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But did you even read this thread?
    The OP isn't "crying" about anything. He just posted a video of some asshole stealing a $10 trailer chock from his driveway, and then let us know about how the story ended up, with him confronting the guy at a bagel store.
    It was mildly entertaining and we all moved on with our lives, until the "YOU MORONS ARE ASKING FOR IT!!!" brigade showed up. Like, what's the point? It's not like he left his brand new La-Z-boy on the sidewalk, or his wife's best jewelry in the driveway.
    Is the argument that he should be so ashamed of his stupidity he shouldn't have posted the video here? Or that he deserved to lose a dead battery and we should be celebrating the perpetrator, and perhaps contributing to his legal defense?
    In classic Big style, "I don't get it."

I'm speaking in general,and not even about the OP story, did you read my comment or just repost it? I for one don't blame the OP at all, I don't think he was careless in leaving a battery in his driveway. The battery was behind a trailer and far in the driveway. I'm surprised anyone could even notice it.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a brilliant unimpeachable point and we appreciate you making it.

Protect and serve my friend,protect and serve it's what I do. You are welcome.

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

we appreciate you making it.

levi has a turd in his pocket?

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Londonpinball:

You gave the pictures to the cops ?
    Cops hate dealing with crime.

The world doesn't need more douchebag comments like this.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

The world doesn't need more douchebag comments like this.

Quoted from Londonpinball:
    You gave the pictures to the cops ?
    Cops hate dealing with crime

the world needs more truth like this.

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

the world needs more truth like this.

Like what?

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Agreed BUT an unlocked car door is an invitation to a thief. You can't expect the cops to care about a theft if you invite the thief to steal your stuff.

Asinine comment. It's not much different from, "she was drunk and came on to me" excuse from rapists. (No, I'm not comparing this petty theft to rape, just the comment.)

If I leave my front door WIDE OPEN, it is not an invitation to a thief. It is not a unspoken welcome. How you could somehow rationalize a theft as the victim's fault is so beyond stupid.

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I still have the key. Whether the door was locked or not does not make it right for someone else to "borrow" it as you've stated. Btw, door was locked. They must of popped the lock (no glass on the street) and smashed the steering column or something

Thanks for the insight on how idiot criminals think! Weird you know so much about it tho

Sorry to hear what happened to your car. It is a shame when you do all the right things and you still have this happen. He did say he was in law enforcement for 15 years. I get the feeling that he has dealt with with idiot criminals and their behavior. So it's not really wierd at all.

I am also not getting how people are failing to make a distinction between "yes, obviously the thief was in the wrong but you should use common sense to reduce the likelyhood of being a victim" and "if you don't fully support my argument (Ie getting hung up on the term opportunistic), then you are saying theft is okay".

Also to the dude who made the comment about breaking into an unlocked house and asulting kids or a wife. Are you comparing petty theft to a violent crime?

In theory and in a perfect world, yes you should be able to leave all your stuff unlocked and unsecured. But this ain't a perfect world. If you don't want your $#1t stolen, don't lake it easy for thiefs by following a few EASY common sense steps.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:Deleted post

Good, and now the boot for posting a private message

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thief-caught-on-my-ring-camera-/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.