Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 174 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

double.gif
    4b69fa75e6c62303e1dfadd587839b27 (resized).jpg
    96854C81-0113-45CD-B948-457DFCB619D4 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.04.24 AM (resized).png
    20200215083500_20200215084000_0_thumb (resized).jpg
    20200215065500_20200215070000_0_thumb (resized).jpg
    Resized_20200213_132845 (resized).jpeg
    tenor5.gif
    e037b07f7ee3f1bef0ef1b4f9138418a--miami-memes (resized).jpg
    765BB5AB-FDC4-4BA1-B17C-4DE7E8C41AEC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200204_205341 (resized).jpg
    suspicious (resized).jpg
    2E44488E-BC52-4EBA-87DC-77BFFD412D2D (resized).jpeg
    32162D0F-F18F-4529-AC0F-F34B2F475D35 (resized).jpeg
    BD4B54AB-F3F0-4602-908C-DDF7343DA054 (resized).jpeg

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #2 4 years ago

Guy took his time too...

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Guy took his time too...

When you look like you're not doing anything wrong, nobody notices

#4 4 years ago

Bang Ding Ow. Hope it left a mark!

#5 4 years ago

I thought he was about to be ran down by the red F150!

#6 4 years ago

Real smart having high tech surveillance equipment to monitor your stuff.

Leaving things you want to keep in the driveway in front of your house, not so much.

#7 4 years ago

jfyi, if you share a ring video with police through ring itself, they can keep it forever. and then they can also request videos from your neighbors..and keep those forever.

and then they can do whatever they'd like with those videos.

#8 4 years ago

He had a pretty good eye to see that battery there

#9 4 years ago

He also checked out that trailer. Lock the ball receiver, or chain the wheel. It might be next.

#10 4 years ago

Maybe it was the parts store picking up the old core for reimbursement (probably $20-$25)? Did the neighbor say it got stolen?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

He also checked out that trailer. Lock the ball receiver, or chain the wheel. It might be next.

Yep, he was a trailer thief casing it and just happened to see the easy target next to it.

#12 4 years ago

I thought this was how Ring sells all the video to facebook and google.

#13 4 years ago

I have been reading about this Ring doorbell seeing the action going on.

Someone got kidnapped a few weeks ago. Ring got the voice of a girl screaming for help. Nobody knew who she was or the driver of the car who kidnapped her. I have not heard anything else about here.

And now this guy stealing is a battery. Can anybody identify him? I sure can't. Did you get your battery back? How about his license tag?

It looks to me it might be helpful if someone actually rings your doorbell and gets close enough to the camera so you can see who the perp is.

But if I wanted video security, I think I would get something else.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Real smart having high tech surveillance equipment to monitor your stuff.
    Leaving things you want to keep in the driveway in front of your house, not so much.

It was a bad battery that was pretty much stopping my trailer from rolling but yes you make a valid (though kinda of douchey lol) point.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I have been reading about this Ring doorbell seeing the action going on.
    Someone got kidnapped a few weeks ago. Ring got the voice of a girl screaming for help. Nobody knew who she was or the driver of the car who kidnapped her. I have not heard anything else about here.
    And now this guy stealing is a battery. Can anybody identify him? I sure can't. Did you get your battery back? How about his license tag?
    It looks to me it might be helpful if someone actually rings your doorbell and gets close enough to the camera so you can see who the perp is.
    But if I wanted video security, I think I would get something else.

As you can see the clarity is there and I actually have seen this loser around at 711 a few times..on top of which I was able to identify his vehicle which is a Green Suzuki Vitara. How many of those do you see around?
    So yes it did help out with the police ..and I know most of the cops in my town so it's just a matter of time before he gets caught. While the Ring does have its limitations..it does help and better than nothing at all.

#15 4 years ago

Sorry for your loss

#16 4 years ago

I'd be camping outside for the next few days waiting for him to drive by again. It's probably his way home from work or something.

People are such assholes.

#17 4 years ago

Get his ass! (And keep us posted).

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

jfyi, if you share a ring video with police through ring itself, they can keep it forever.

Actually Amazon has stated you don't own the video and they can and do share it with the police without your consent.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/19/20973173/amazon-ring-police-video-privacy-markey-senate-letter

Amazon actively pushing police departments to encourage people to get cameras.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/08/five-concerns-about-amazon-rings-deals-police

I have security at home and it is NOT connected to the web. If it is, been proven to my satisfaction it is spying on you.

Hope you catch your thief!

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Asmig:

Yep, he was a trailer thief casing it and just happened to see the easy target next to it.

What a dickhead! I thought it was odd he would somehow see that battery. You guys are right. He’s casing the trailer and just takes the battery because the guys an asshole.

Joe, would you say something to him if you saw him again, or just let the police handle it?

#20 4 years ago

Glad to know that you’ve figured out who this loser is Joe. If you speak to the police I would claim it was a new battery. Personally I would wait until you see him again and find out where he lives, then I would get even in other ways

#21 4 years ago

People are such losers sometimes, thankfully he only took a dead battery off your hands. Silver lining: maybe he saved you some $$ having to recycle it.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from u2sean:

People are such losers sometimes, thankfully he only took a dead battery off your hands. Silver lining: maybe he saved you some $$ having to recycle it.

Used, worn out, and wasted car batteries usually bring $10.00 at the local battery house around here. It used to be $1 or $2 dollars and then lead got to be in short supply (at least that's what the papers said. Was there a shortage? I don't know. But saying it was a good way to get the price up. )

#23 4 years ago

Check out the blink cameras on amazon. Buddy has a couple, I'm buying today. Better than the ring cuz of bigger field of view. And, battery powered so you can mount anywhere. Bout $85 each

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

If you speak to the police I would claim it was a new battery. Personally I would wait until you see him again and find out where he lives, then I would get even in other ways

So fight crime with crime? Solid plan.

#25 4 years ago

I'm currently building a house...doing a whole camera system that catches everything.

It's awesome that everyone is going the doorbell cameras, but everyone needs a whole camera system.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I'm currently building a house...doing a whole camera system that catches everything.
    It's awesome that everyone is going the doorbell cameras, but everyone needs a whole camera system.

I agree. I have a 16 channel 1080P DVR at my house. My thought was that thieves would go to the next house if they see that I have cameras. I told my neighbors that and now they are considering installing cameras also. Twice, I have shared video with law enforcement to help catch thieves that were in the area, but they did not attempt theft from my house. Neighbors are aware of that also and they are happy that I have cameras.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I agree. I have a 16 channel 1080P DVR at my house. My thought was that thieves would go to the next house if they see that I have cameras. I told my neighbors that and now they are considering installing cameras also. Twice, I have shared video with law enforcement to help catch thieves that were in the area, but they did not attempt theft from my house. Neighbors are aware of that also and they are happy that I have cameras.

What's good for me, is since I'm building, we can put the cameras at the most optimal spots. Anyone stepping foot on my property, will have a picture of their face with cameras at eye level.

#28 4 years ago

What a letdown. I thought this was some kinda James Bond spy ring, like an actual RING, on your finger...........

Hope they catch the dickhead.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What's good for me, is since I'm building, we can put the cameras at the most optimal spots. Anyone stepping foot on my property, will have a picture of their face with cameras at eye level.

You need that in Jersey lol

#30 4 years ago

These assholes need to be lumped up.

#31 4 years ago

I get offered free Rings from vendors all the time as giveaways and always turn them down. Ring has gotten into non stop privacy trouble.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I get offered free Rings from vendors all the time as giveaways and always turn them down. Ring has gotten into non stop privacy trouble.

I'm curious, what is your privacy concern about a doorbell cam or outdoor cam? I have a ring doorbell myself but would never have any cams inside the house for privacy reasons. Nor would I have any google or alexa thing for the same reason. But having cams outside doesn't concern me whatsoever. Its not seeing anything that my neighbor looking out their window or someone walking down the street wouldn't see. I also have an alarm on the house.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I'm curious, what is your privacy concern about a doorbell cam or outdoor cam? I have a ring doorbell myself but would never have any cams inside the house for privacy reasons. Nor would I have any google or alexa thing for the same reason. But having cams outside doesn't concern me whatsoever. Its not seeing anything that my neighbor looking out their window or someone walking down the street wouldn't see. I also have an alarm on the house.

You do realize it is being used along with facial recognition to track anyone who might be passing your house? Not to mention your own habits entering and exiting your domicile, all of which is reported back to Amazon. One site even noted security cameras hooked to the web were reporting back to a server in China and there was 24,000 files for each address with bio-metric data that was being captured and analyzed.

You have enough Ring cameras in the neighborhood and Amazon can literately track anyone in real time. Facebook does the same with "the bug" in their app that tracks non-facebook phone owners by sniffing out mac addreses from the other phones wifi and bluetooth adapters and reporting home.

Amazon has already been caught streaming audio from people homes via voice activated devices and saving it.

#34 4 years ago

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/this-is-why-people-fear-the-internet-of-things/

Imagine buying an internet-enabled surveillance camera, network attached storage device, or home automation gizmo, only to find that it secretly and constantly phones home to a vast peer-to-peer (P2P) network run by the Chinese manufacturer of the hardware. Now imagine that the geek gear you bought doesn’t actually let you block this P2P communication without some serious networking expertise or hardware surgery that few users would attempt.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I agree that if you agree to utilize the cloud service, others can view that footage...
    If you only use the local storage card on the Ring, you can avoid that cloud storage issue.
    If you use a DVR system that uses a local hard drive for storage, no external cloud storage is required either.

#36 4 years ago

Cool movie, but the guy will never get caught. I kinda don't see the point.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Ooh, I have concerns about this! I can speak for my own concerns, which may or may not be similar to others'.

The known issues with Ring are:

* Amazon and their contract staff and business partners can monitor everything on your camera
    * Police departments get access to your videos without your consent
    * Cameras have been compromised and become available to random people on the Internet, for listening, video monitoring, and to send audio

It's tough to describe a hypothetical without people passing you off as paranoid, but let's say I was a bad guy with access to Ring equipment. I would:

1. Monitor equipment in an area near my home
    2. Record coming and going times (ie: car pulls out of the garage at 7am every day, never comes back until 4pm)
    3. Visit the house, keeping clear of the camera when nobody is home

Or maybe I'd:

1. See that mom and dad's car left the house
    2. See that the kid is in their bedroom
    3. Mess with the kid

Or maybe I'd:

1. Get as many cameras as I could in an area
    2. Store all footage I can
    3. Face recognize everyone I can, tag, and correlate with Facebook information
    4. Do things to people's houses when they're not at home

There's a bunch you COULD do. It's probably paranoid to think anyone would pay attention to you enough to actually do it, but for the same reason I lock my house and my car, I don't like to expose myself to unnecessary risk with my technology. The only reason to do so is for the convenience they offer, and for me the convenience isn't worth the risk.

I used to have a Ring doorbell, but we recently moved, and I did not install it in the new house. I'm not too worried about abuse, to be honest, but the doorbell wasn't some kind of amazing feature, either.

I'm also dragging my feet on re-upgrading my smoke detectors to Nest, because they have motion sensors, which are a great way to tell Google if you're home or not.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from CKrueger:

I'm also dragging my feet on re-upgrading my smoke detectors to Nest, because they have motion sensors, which are a great way to tell Google if you're home or not.

https://www.realsimple.com/work-life/technology/google-nest-camera-secret-microphone

Hidden microphone too.

As Business Insider reported, the existence of the microphone was never disclosed in any of the device's product materials, including online or on the packing. This, a Google spokesperson told Business Insider, was “an error.”

#39 4 years ago

Ring doorbell saved me about $1500. I had a delivery truck run into my pole barn door and left the shipment just outside the barn, right in front of the new dent in the door (hit it hard enough that the door would no longer open because it was bowed in). I called the delivery company, who contacted the driver, who said he did not run into the barn and that the damage must have already been there.

I checked the Ring video from that day, saw him backing up and heard the crunch. Sent that video and was able to get a settlement to pay for the door. I don't think I would have had any way to win that argument without the video as proof.

BTW, the driver came back and said he "must not have noticed" that he had run into it haha.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from CKrueger:

Ooh, I have concerns about this! I can speak for my own concerns, which may or may not be similar to others'.
    The known issues with Ring are:
    * Amazon and their contract staff and business partners can monitor everything on your camera
    * Police departments get access to your videos without your consent
    * Cameras have been compromised and become available to random people on the Internet, for listening, video monitoring, and to send audio
    It's tough to describe a hypothetical without people passing you off as paranoid, but let's say I was a bad guy with access to Ring equipment. I would:
    1. Monitor equipment in an area near my home
    2. Record coming and going times (ie: car pulls out of the garage at 7am every day, never comes back until 4pm)
    3. Visit the house, keeping clear of the camera when nobody is home
    Or maybe I'd:
    1. See that mom and dad's car left the house
    2. See that the kid is in their bedroom
    3. Mess with the kid
    Or maybe I'd:
    1. Get as many cameras as I could in an area
    2. Store all footage I can
    3. Face recognize everyone I can, tag, and correlate with Facebook information
    4. Do things to people's houses when they're not at home
    There's a bunch you COULD do. It's probably paranoid to think anyone would pay attention to you enough to actually do it, but for the same reason I lock my house and my car, I don't like to expose myself to unnecessary risk with my technology. The only reason to do so is for the convenience they offer, and for me the convenience isn't worth the risk.
    I used to have a Ring doorbell, but we recently moved, and I did not install it in the new house. I'm not too worried about abuse, to be honest, but the doorbell wasn't some kind of amazing feature, either.

This is why I have an alarm on my house. No cameras or listening devices inside the house but lots of window and door sensors as well as motion detection. As far as tracking, is there anywhere you can go outside your home that you can't be tracked somehow? Neighbors have cameras. Traffic lights have cameras. Stores have cameras. Parking lots have cameras. Even your phone can be tracked. It sucks that this is the world we live in these days, and I'm all about privacy but it seems like it's a losing battle. I don't even do social media like FB or whatever because of this.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The best plan I have seen, is to place cameras at every corner, facing both directions, to cover the entire yard, back, front and sides.
    I opted not to place cameras inside...
    Of particular interest, should be vehicles stored outside, and any entry points (doors & windows/garage).

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

What a dickhead! I thought it was odd he would somehow see that battery. You guys are right. He’s casing the trailer and just takes the battery because the guys an asshole.
    Joe, would you say something to him if you saw him again, or just let the police handle it?

The cops around here are pretty vigil so I would let them deal with him.. push came to shove though..he would be in a world of shit. Trust me on that.

There is no more privacy folks.... you can disable one device..but then another device takes it place.. Your Phone is your worst culprit. I once tried to count how many cameras I walked by that I knew of from my house to the train to Penn Station in NYC... I gave up after 30. Cameras are everywhere. Someone gave me an Alexa device for Christmas.. I threw it out.

It's going to be totally unavoidable soon. Everything will be integrated. From you smart TV to your driverless car...

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

Glad to know that you’ve figured out who this loser is Joe. If you speak to the police I would claim it was a new battery. Personally I would wait until you see him again and find out where he lives, then I would get even in other ways

by claiming it was a new battery, that makes you no better than the perp.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You do realize it is being used along with facial recognition to track anyone who might be passing your house? Not to mention your own habits entering and exiting your domicile, all of which is reported back to Amazon. One site even noted security cameras hooked to the web were reporting back to a server in China and there was 24,000 files for each address with bio-metric data that was being captured and analyzed.
    You have enough Ring cameras in the neighborhood and Amazon can literately track anyone in real time. Facebook does the same with "the bug" in their app that tracks non-facebook phone owners by sniffing out mac addreses from the other phones wifi and bluetooth adapters and reporting home.
    Amazon has already been caught streaming audio from people homes via voice activated devices and saving it.

I get what you're saying, and on a lot of levels, it's disconcerting that George Orwell's vision (yes, intended) was so spot on. That being said, I'm not that interesting, and I don't have anything worth stealing. So if they want to waste their time trying to figure me out, the joke's on them.

#45 4 years ago

Police are not putting any energy into going after a $10 theft. In my neighborhood the thiefs drive to the end of the street and drop 2 guys off. Then the 2 guys walk up the street checking every car door in the street and drives. Neighbors cameras catch them they call the police and police say lock your doors and don't leave any valuables in the car. They don't take reports unless it over $500.
    I caught a guy once at 4:00 am when leaving to plow snow. What am I going to do take a baseball bat to his head? Then I'm getting sued. Called police and he said it's not illegal for someone to walk on your property no matter how much you don't like it.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from joeraptor2003:

The cops around here are pretty vigil so I would let them deal with him.. push came to shove though..he would be in a world of shit. Trust me on that.
    There is no more privacy folks.... you can disable one device..but then another device takes it place.. Your Phone is your worst culprit. I once tried to count how many cameras I walked by that I knew of from my house to the train to Penn Station in NYC... I gave up after 30. Cameras are everywhere. Someone gave me an Alexa device for Christmas.. I threw it out.
    It's going to be totally unavoidable soon. Everything will be integrated. From you smart TV to your driverless car...

And that is eventually how you get to a police state.

Reject it. Allow nothing connected to the 'net in your home aside from a dumb computer. Let lawmakers know how you feel small and large about the lawless invasion of privacy. Let vendors know their products will NOT be purchased. Shun Google, Facebook and Amazon, there are plenty of alternatives.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

Police are not putting any energy into going after a $10 theft. In my neighborhood the thiefs drive to the end of the street and drop 2 guys off. Then the 2 guys walk up the street checking every car door in the street and drives. Neighbors cameras catch them they call the police and police say lock your doors and don't leave any valuables in the car. They don't take reports unless it over $500.
    I caught a guy once at 4:00 am when leaving to plow snow. What am I going to do take a baseball bat to his head? Then I'm getting sued. Called police and he said it's not illegal for someone to walk on your property no matter how much you don't like it.

It's called trespassing? LOL. And it may not be about what they have or don't have at that moment on your property, more than likely they will have done it before and catching and identifying them could solve some other major thefts.

And generally speaking, thefts like this can lead to other crimes of opportunity once they see how easily they can invade others personal space and get away with it. If it was my property, I'd be doing something about it.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Actually Amazon has stated you don't own the video and they can and do share it with the police without your consent.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/19/20973173/amazon-ring-police-video-privacy-markey-senate-letter

Uhh.. the letter says exactly the OPPOSITE of what you claim.

It states Ring doesn't own the video but the users do (exactly the opposite of your statement) and that video is not released WITHOUT the user's consent. What Ring facilitates is the ability for the police to REQUEST assistance from users.

What is actually done...
    ". Our users receive an email from the Ring team, which gives them the choice to review and/or share
    videos, decline the request by taking no action, or opt‐out of all future requests. After local police
    ask residents to assist with an investigation using the Neighbors Portal tool, the tool only shows
    responses from users who expressly consent to share their video recordings. "

https://www.markey.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Response%20Letter_Ring_Senator%20Markey%2011.01.2019.pdf

What Ring does is allow Police to make a request through Ring's service where users are notified of a request, and they can opt to share one, many, or zero videos as part of the request.

#49 4 years ago

So it wasn't really on "MY" ring camera? This is just a random ring video of someone stealing a battery and you posted it on a pinball website why? Ohhhh Ok, off topic forum. I see. Way off topic! LOL

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Uhh.. the letter says exactly the OPPOSITE of what you claim.
    It states Ring doesn't own the video but the users do (exactly the opposite of your statement) and that video is not released WITHOUT the user's consent. What Ring facilitates is the ability for the police to REQUEST assistance from users.

I'm trying to find the news story that claimed otherwise, I thought it was mentioned in that story.

I'll update when i find it again.

Amazon can access at footage at will, they have fired a few employees for doing so.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7868219/Amazons-Ring-fired-four-members-staff-snooping-customers.html

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thief-caught-on-my-ring-camera- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.