(Topic ID: 192690)

they're tables, aren't they?

By bigehrl

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1169 (resized).JPG
    20155695_10213260936908099_4621718376326346225_n (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    54e494fee6540ed41905bd91b3209709 (resized).jpg
    Smart+Melamine+Top+Drafting+Table (resized).jpg
    4-291 (resized).jpg
    $_32 (resized).JPG
    owl-8 (resized).jpg
    0e2f51b9d789b5f6b7500106694db2d8 (resized).jpg
    4dea8d1890f0499296bacb0e4a75cdf5--the-billboard-pinball (resized).jpg
    final (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-08-22-52-27 (resized).png
    SWpageslider_053017 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170706-185630 (resized).png
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    diner_customers (resized).jpg
    There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I sometimes sit on these when I'm playing the Subway.

That looks really nice,love it. Do you have a pair of them?

#102 6 years ago

Or, is it a diner table on a Diner table...

diner_customers (resized).jpgdiner_customers (resized).jpg

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Or, is it a diner table on a Diner table...

No. That is not a table. That is a counter

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, reminds me of the meaning of "a lift" in England is the elevator vs. in the States it means "a ride".

A lift is an elevator or a ride in England.

Regarding the other comment about English English, I've never heard anyone say "bum a fag".

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from insx:

A lift is an elevator or a ride in England.
    Regarding the other comment about English English, I've never heard anyone say "bum a fag".

But a proper young woman might ask you to knock her up in the morning, no?

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

No. That is not a table. That is a counter

wrong.

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

But a proper young woman might ask you to knock her up in the morning, no?

Not without much sniggering (snickering).

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Pool Table
    Coffee Table
    Dinner Table

water table
    saw table
    X table

#109 6 years ago

I've got a few people here at work that ask me every once-in-awhile, "so, how many ping-pong tables do you have now?" Ummmm...none.

I guess everything is a table now.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

water table
    saw table
    X table

...Table of Contents ...

#111 6 years ago

I was going to say that this discussion should be 'Tabled', but then I discovered that even the word 'Tabled' has the opposite meaning in Britain! Sheesh.

verb (used with object), tabled, tabling.
    to place (a card, money, etc.) on a table.
    to enter in or form into a table or list.
    Parliamentary Procedure.
    Chiefly U.S. to lay aside (a proposal, resolution, etc.) for future discussion, usually with a view to postponing or shelving the matter indefinitely.
    British. to present (a proposal, resolution, etc.) for discussion.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I was going to say that this discussion should be 'Tabled', but then I discovered that even the word 'Tabled' has the opposite meaning in Britain! Sheesh.
    verb (used with object), tabled, tabling.

Yes, you would have to table a motion to shelve the discussion.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from insx:

Yes, you would have to table a motion to shelve the discussion.

But in Britain you would be opening a discussion.

#114 6 years ago

I beg to differ only in the fact that we are both correct. See definition #2.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/counter

Noun
    1. a table or display case on which goods can be shown, business transacted, etc.

2. (in restaurants, luncheonettes, etc.) a long, narrow table with stools or chairs along one side for the patrons, behind which refreshments or meals are prepared and served.

3. a surface for the preparation of food in a kitchen, especially on a low cabinet.

#115 6 years ago

Screenshot_20170706-185630 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170706-185630 (resized).png

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from insx:

Australianism again perhaps? I've certainly have heard that here.

#117 6 years ago

I had a good friend who grew up in switzerland. He called all pinball machines bally boxes! Maybe that's a Swiss thing?

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

I had a good friend who grew up in switzerland. He called all pinball machines bally boxes! Maybe that's a Swiss thing?

That story has holes in it.

LTG : )

#119 6 years ago

Back in the 30s pinball machines sat on tables. That is the closest you will get. Table is not the word and never will be for modern pinball. It is a machine or a game. Look at the website of every manufacturer in the world right now and find the word table. I dare you.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Table is not the word and never will be for modern pinball.

Except for England in the 1960's.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Except for England in the 1960's.

They call hoods "bonnets", so they don't count.

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Back in the 30s pinball machines sat on tables. That is the closest you will get. Table is not the word and never will be for modern pinball. It is a machine or a game. Look at the website of every manufacturer in the world right now and find the word table. I dare you.

Right there on the front page of Stern's website:
    SWpageslider_053017 (resized).pngSWpageslider_053017 (resized).png
    Given that Pro, Premium, LE changes the playfield, translite and cabinet, it sounds like they are referring to the whole machine as a table.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Look at the website of every manufacturer in the world right now and find the word table. I dare you.

Damn dude you got schooled...and quick.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey I gave him a thumbs up!

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

Right there on the front page of Stern's website:

Given that Pro, Premium, LE changes the playfield, translite and cabinet, it sounds like they are referring to the whole machine as a table.

No. Read it like this: Our new Star Wars pinball machine gives you the choice from one of three different table options.

#126 6 years ago

They should be called...I have your quarters Bitch! Hahaha...and tax free!

Screenshot_2017-07-08-22-52-27 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-07-08-22-52-27 (resized).png

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Didn't Stern's marketing guy come from pinside? That could explain it. Did they ever call it a table before now?

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

Didn't Stern's marketing guy come from pinside? That could explain it. Did they ever call it a table before now?

Not quite sure on Stern stuff but Jared came form pinsid and I believe he's the "social media" person not marketing (?)

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I believe they started using "table" after virtual pinball grew in popularity and made the term more common.

The British always referred to them as tables but they call a trunk "boot", so what do they know?

They'll always be machines to me. "Tables" just grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The British always referred to them as tables but they call a trunk "boot", so what do they know?

How to pronounce "Aluminum."

#131 6 years ago

Because of this thread, I've decided that I'm going to start calling them "angled rolling silver orb contraptions".

Calling them a table is tooo damned offensive!

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

No - Jody came from marketing in the music industry.

Jared was hired to work for Jody and did/does social media stuff

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I've got a few people here at work that ask me every once-in-awhile, "so, how many ping-pong tables do you have now?" Ummmm...none.
    I guess everything is a table now.

When I sold my condo a few years ago the buyer's real estate agent asked if I was going to leave the "pingpong machine" behind. No, no I'm not.

#134 6 years ago

never really thought of this being an issue before. when i started playing pinball about five years ago i automatically called them tables because i had heard them called that in the pinball wizard song.

i also find it kinda funny that there is a lot of history of the use of the term table, a lot of reasons to call it a table, and yet there are people who are somehow worked up about how it shouldnt be called a table. their argument: whaaaaaa its not a table.

#135 6 years ago

I don't mind table in certain contexts I suppose. For me though the word table describes an inanimate object with a flat top (can't say 4 legs since many have two or even only 1 leg).

Setting asside leg count or tables typically having flat surfaces it probably the inanimate part that sets the context for me.

Powered off it can qualify as table but powered in it comes to life and is no longer inanimate as the playfield under the glass has come to life with dancing lights... being played its even further away as there is motion, action, sound and more. Powered on table only scratches the surface of what it is.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Powered on table

final (resized).jpgfinal (resized).jpg

#137 6 years ago

4dea8d1890f0499296bacb0e4a75cdf5--the-billboard-pinball (resized).jpg4dea8d1890f0499296bacb0e4a75cdf5--the-billboard-pinball (resized).jpg

#138 6 years ago

Seems like these things have been incorrectly called tables since THE VERY BEGINNING OF PINBALL!

Who were these idiots, anyway?

0e2f51b9d789b5f6b7500106694db2d8 (resized).jpg0e2f51b9d789b5f6b7500106694db2d8 (resized).jpg

owl-8 (resized).jpgowl-8 (resized).jpg

#139 6 years ago

Pool machine.....

$_32 (resized).JPG$_32 (resized).JPG

#140 6 years ago

Ping-Pong surface.

4-291 (resized).jpg4-291 (resized).jpg

#141 6 years ago

Drafting Rig:

Smart+Melamine+Top+Drafting+Table (resized).jpgSmart+Melamine+Top+Drafting+Table (resized).jpg

#142 6 years ago

Boat. Not a table.

54e494fee6540ed41905bd91b3209709 (resized).jpg54e494fee6540ed41905bd91b3209709 (resized).jpg

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Seems like these things have been incorrectly called tables since THE VERY BEGINNING OF PINBALL!

Naw pretty sure It was Jared...I mean anything to do with the history of Pinball has top be directly related to Pinside in the last 5 years right?

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That story has holes in it.

Reminds me of a joke. What has balls of steel and screws old ladies?

I'll let LTG answer

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

How to pronounce "Aluminum."

In Scotland it was explained to me that aluminium is the substance that aluminum objects are made out of.

My breath smells of a thousand fags
    And when I'm drunk I dance like me Dad
    -- Robbie Williams

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

In Scotland it was explained to me that aluminium is the substance that aluminum objects are made out of.

It seems it's a diff'rence in 'Merican vs Queen spelling; that I didn't know until right now. So it's spelled like it's pronounced by them.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, it's a bubbler. calling anything else is just stupid

You have to ask "where is the bubbler?" at every rest stop going to Pinburgh. I will tape reactions.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

What has balls of steel and screws old ladies?

Chuck Norris.

Disclaimer : Funnier than what has 90 balls and screws old ladies - Bingo !

#149 6 years ago

A pinball machine and a pinball table are the same damn thing! What the hell is wrong with you people?

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Quite a bit actually. Besides we need something new to bitch about to divert our efforts.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theyre-tables-arent-they/page/3?hl=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.