(Topic ID: 192690)

they're tables, aren't they?

By bigehrl

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1169 (resized).JPG
    20155695_10213260936908099_4621718376326346225_n (resized).jpg
    th (resized).jpg
    54e494fee6540ed41905bd91b3209709 (resized).jpg
    Smart+Melamine+Top+Drafting+Table (resized).jpg
    4-291 (resized).jpg
    $_32 (resized).JPG
    owl-8 (resized).jpg
    0e2f51b9d789b5f6b7500106694db2d8 (resized).jpg
    4dea8d1890f0499296bacb0e4a75cdf5--the-billboard-pinball (resized).jpg
    final (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-08-22-52-27 (resized).png
    SWpageslider_053017 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20170706-185630 (resized).png
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    diner_customers (resized).jpg
    There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I'm hungry, who wants to get a sheet of pizza? Or do you call it a pie?

Who would ever want "sheet" on their pizza?

#52 6 years ago

In the UK- a lift can be what Americans would call an elevator; a free ride in someone else's car, bike, vehicle;
    a boost in confidence; the actual act of lifting

Quoted from RonSS:

Or do you call it a pie?

A pie has pastry surrounding the filling. It's a slice of pizza

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Or soccer players calling cleats, boots

Firstly - it's football not soccer. What you wear on your feet are football boots.
    Below is a cleat

As for the original question: it makes not a jot of difference

cleat (resized).pngcleat (resized).png

#53 6 years ago

To me, you use "table" to refer to a game's unique design, layout, playfield features.

As in: "that's a great table!"

But the whole physical package is a machine or game.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I can't stand the term table, but Stern calls them that...

I'm trying to look at it from a pinball engineer's perspective, a pinball blueprint draftsman's perspective. If you were in an engineering meeting talking about various components needed to produce a pinball machine, what terms would be used to describe those components?

What do we have in raw material inventory to produce the next pin? (Nothing has been assembled, yet): Legs and levelers. Spools of wiring. Back glasses and play field glass (table glass maybe?). Pop bumpers, drop targets, and slingshot hardware. Flippers and flipper buttons. Ball guide wiring and bracing. Plywood for cabinets and back boxes, or a stock of supplier built cabs and back boxes. And play fields?

The play field has not been built yet. So, what does a pinball engineer call a slab of plywood that is not yet a play field?

I could see the engineer and the buyer and the supplier discussing play field plywood in the terms of tables as an agreed form of component parts reference.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I think calling a pinball machine a "table" is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. About the only thing it even remotely resembles a table is that it has 4 legs. Other than that there is nothing about it that makes it a "table".

Well saying that's the dumbest thing you ever heard is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

They do have four legs, yes. They also have a large rectangular approximately horizontal surface that things get set on all the time. That it has a slight slope is irrelevant. Now if the slope was such that things slid right off, then it would be dumb to call it a table. Most of all, people have been calling it a table forever, and not paying attention doesn't give one the right to declare something dumb. English is a rich tableau.

#56 6 years ago

I thought they where just toys.

#58 6 years ago

I always try to refer to them as "machines" or "games" when referring to real machines, but when I talk about video game pinball games I find I tend to use "table" more often. I guess it's because if I use "game", it might become confusing whether I'm referring to a single pinball table in a game (Whitewater or Funhouse), or a an entire pinball game (The Pinball Arcade or Zen Pinball). I don't use machine because they're virtual, and usually not much of the engineering that goes into designing real machines goes into them. Yes, table is kind of dumb, but there don't seem to be any other options in common use yet.

#59 6 years ago

For some it's pop, for others soda, and for a few others it's cola.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

This.

"Table" has always sounded weird to me, but whatever. I somehow find a way to go on with my life.

...also, it's soda.

#61 6 years ago

Table is OK, hell, listen to Pinball Wizard. Deck? Should be tabled.

#62 6 years ago

The term 'Table' as applied to pinball probably goes way back to when 'Bagatelle Table' evolved from 'Billiard Table'.

http://www.chicagobilliardmuseum.org/Rare_Tables.html

#63 6 years ago

I now call them 'pinball beds', because of the last couple I just bought, that's what I've been forced to sleep on lately. Any more, and I'll have to call them 'coffins'.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

In some places they refer to all soft drinks as a "coke"!

My favorite term for it is "Soda Pop"! Irritates some more than "pinball table" ever could! (Even better: "sody pop"!)

There is a term for being prone to go off when something isn't as you've always thought it should be.
    That term is "narrow mindedness."

I can't find much in the extended definitions of "deck" to justify that one. A pin is flat like a deck? It's addicting like a packet of narcotics, maybe?

Still can't say it bothers me...

#65 6 years ago

Also, "pinball game" is redundant.

#66 6 years ago

I will contemplate this flipper flipper discussion while I enjoy some more pop, a slice of pie and then go blow some shit up!!

Be back soon.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

People have been placing things on pinball machines for 60+ years. Drinks, smokes, dip cups, gin rags or whatever the hell old people used.
    Where's o-din with some pics of the machines that had shelves on them?

table (resized).jpgtable (resized).jpg

#68 6 years ago

I don't often call pinball machines tables, but when I do it's because they are..

20170704_164721 (resized).jpg20170704_164721 (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago

’Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself though, not a Montague.
    What’s Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O! be some other name:
    What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;
    And for that name, which is no part of thee,
    Take all myself.

#70 6 years ago

"I am still the Bally table king, but I just handed my Gottlieb crown to him... to him!!"

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

688dfeb5a58e3a839e92124c68af7e82 (resized).jpg688dfeb5a58e3a839e92124c68af7e82 (resized).jpg

#71 6 years ago

They are all pinball machines with differently styled tables to play on and enjoy.

#72 6 years ago

The layout is a table. The sum of its parts is a machine. IE: I do not enjoy most of Sterns tables and their machines feel less substantial than past machine brands.

#73 6 years ago

Homepin , please don't read this thread

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

homepin , please don't read this thread

just spat my drink every where when I read this, CLASSIC

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, reminds me of the meaning of "a lift" in England is the elevator vs. in the States it means "a ride".

It is pretty funny actually. Many things have different meanings (even between English speaking countries) for example:

In Australia you wear a thong on your feet. In the US you call them flip flops.

Another example, in Australia a fanny referres to a woman's genitals, where in the US your fanny is referring to ones butt...lol. An old university friend from the US was walking down the street here with her mum and baby sister. Her mum shouted to her young sister, "come here now or I'll smack your fanny." Everyone in the street stopped and starred in shock.

Terminology can be tricky.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

In the US, a thong is something that barely covers a woman's fanny.

#77 6 years ago

Bump,Timebandit!! Absolutly!!!

#78 6 years ago

Some people call them pins but I'm not holding fabric together with them!

Honestly, as long as your audience understands what you mean, it doesn't matter what you call them.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

It is pretty funny actually. Many things have different meanings (even between English speaking countries) for example:
    Another example, in Australia a fanny referres to a woman's genitals, where in the US your fanny is referring to ones butt...lol. An old university friend from the US was walking down the street here with her mum and baby sister. Her mum shouted to her young sister, "come here now or I'll smack your fanny." Everyone in the street stopped and starred in shock.
    Terminology can be tricky.

We used to call flip-flops thongs back in the 60's. At least here in the Midwest.

#80 6 years ago

Not this again. It's a slang, comes from the history of pinball: bagatelle...a group of parlor games that were referred to as "table games". IMO - It's probably mostly the youngsters of the hobby that can't relate to that (the ones who consider early solid state as very old pinball machines!)

#81 6 years ago

Then there are those that think "table" comes from the recent video renditions of pinball games.

#82 6 years ago

OK. We have about worn out the "tables" debate. Next up: Are the bumpers pop bumpers, jet bumpers , or thumper bumpers? Where I am from we called them jet bumpers.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Next up: Are the bumpers pop bumpers, jet bumpers , or thumper bumpers?

Depending on the company.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. We have about worn out the "tables" debate. Next up: Are the bumpers pop bumpers, jet bumpers , or thumper bumpers? Where I am from we called them jet bumpers.

From the IPDB: Active bumpers have been given various names. According to the book All About Pinball, Williams called them thumper bumpers on their 1948 game Saratoga but eventually decided to use the shorter term jet bumpers. Gottlieb first used the term percussion bumpers on their 1949 "Bowling Champ" game but eventually changed to the term pop bumpers. Genco called them power bumpers. Bally called them thumper bumpers.

#85 6 years ago

Thought Data East was Jet Bumpers?

#86 6 years ago

Someday people will learn the world is bigger than just the area they know. Shocking..

#87 6 years ago

Did I mention I am still the Bally table king?

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Thought Data East was Jet Bumpers?

I think they called them Turbo Bumpers.

#89 6 years ago

I think table is appropriate for pins released prior to 1985. We would all use those as tables if we had them in our homes.

Flame on!

#90 6 years ago

People on Facebook call pinball machines pinnies. Why the hell is that about? Never once heard that here.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

People on Facebook call pinball machines pinnies. Why the hell is that about? Never once heard that here.

That originated from Australian slang for a pinball machine.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Are the bumpers pop bumpers, jet bumpers , or thumper bumpers?

I prefer simply "pops."

Don't call them "sodas" though!

See what I did there? I slay me.

Whatever you do, don't call them "bumbers"!!!!!!!!1!

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

As a kid I used to giggle at the opening sequence to The Nanny when they booted her out the door and she landed on her fanny.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Quoted from wayout440:

That originated from Australian slang for a pinball machine.

Yep. The basic idea seems to be to shorten everything and add an I, an O or an A sound. Pinball Machine becomes Pinny, Afternoon becomes Arvo, McDonald's becomes Macca's. For some reason, if it's already short, make it longer. eg Tom becomes Tommo though that only seems to really happen with names. Other nickname should be ironic if possible eg Bluey for the red headed kid or have some weird connection eg. Nathan Lyons is obviously Garry. Then there's rhyming slang like Harrold Hold for Bolt (Do the Harrold Holt - run away - funny since the former PM went missing without a trace when swimming - they named a memorial swimming pool for him too), Dead Horse for Sauce (pass the dead horse thanks). As that's not confusing enough, occasionally, rhyming slang gets corrupted and shortened too. eg. Yank becomes Septic Tank becomes Seppo which weirdly isn't seen as derogatory (though can be with the right tone).

Clear as mud?

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I prefer simply "pops."
    Don't call them "sodas" though!
    See what I did there? I slay me.
    Whatever you do, don't call them "bumbers"!!!!!!!!1!

you also call a water fountain a 'bubbler' there in Wisconsin.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

As a kid I used to giggle at the opening sequence to The Nanny when they booted her out the door and she landed on her fanny.

Yep. The basic idea seems to be to shorten everything and add an I, an O or an A sound. Pinball Machine becomes Pinny, Afternoon becomes Arvo, McDonald's becomes Macca's. For some reason, if it's already short, make it longer. eg Tom becomes Tommo though that only seems to really happen with names. Other nickname should be ironic if possible eg Bluey for the red headed kid or have some weird connection eg. Nathan Lyons is obviously Garry. Then there's rhyming slang like Harrold Hold for Bolt (Do the Harrold Holt - run away - funny since the former PM went missing without a trace when swimming - they named a memorial swimming pool for him too), Dead Horse for Sauce (pass the dead horse thanks). As that's not confusing enough, occasionally, rhyming slang gets corrupted and shortened too. eg. Yank becomes Septic Tank becomes Seppo which weirdly isn't seen as derogatory (though can be with the right tone).
    Clear as mud?

Yes. Clear. It illustrates why comedy is so contextual and cultural. A lot of my American brothers loved British Monte Python. I did not know WTF was going on and could not understand the humor.

#97 6 years ago

Some people map that stuff. The third map on this page is about (drinking) taps, bubblers, water fountains and bubble taps (WTF?): https://lingroadshow.com/resources/englishes-in-australia/vocabulary/mapping-words-around-australia/

Also covers the endless debate about potato scallops vs potato cakes. It is interesting that some of these show clear splits along state lines, and others don't and also that some of the state splits are different for different words.

I wonder if we mapped the machines vs tables thing if there's a pattern.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

you also call a water fountain a 'bubbler' there in Wisconsin.

yes, it's a bubbler. calling anything else is just stupid

#99 6 years ago

Pool Table
    Coffee Table
    Dinner Table

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, it's a bubbler. calling anything else is just stupid

In Ca. we have drinking fountains as bubbler has it's own meaning entirely.

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theyre-tables-arent-they/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.