Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GottliebUniversePlayfield (resized).jpg
IMG_0333 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Beside this upper PF rollover switch are what look like flippers. They are screwed down and don't move. The actual flippers are beside these flipper look alikes. My question is if these mock flippers were put on to be a conservative/liberal adjustment for this rollover switch between them? I'm not exactly sure where to adjust them. There is a nail right near the tips of the look alikes. I'm guessing I should swing the look alikes towards each other up to those nails. Maybe if swung slightly apart it would be a more conservative setting for the roll over switch. Anyone know or have a better idea?

IMG_0333 (resized).JPGIMG_0333 (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

The plastic flippers are just passive bumpers. I don't think that they're intended to be adjustable. The pins/nails next to them are to keep the ball from coming to rest between the flipper bumper and the rollover guide wire form.

That style of flipper was used by United in the late 40s. See for example Yuma Arizona: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=87

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the info Mark. When I finally get the game playable I'm going to set those passive bumpers closer to the nails/pins and see how difficult it is to get the ball in that rollover lane. Then separate them maybe a 1/8" and see if it is any easier to get the ball down the lane. Maybe we've just discovered something!? It's been fun trying to figure out what some engineer was trying to do 75 years ago. But... only a guess.

#4 1 year ago

I always felt that were a cost saving idea
Rather than make a new mold for a lane-guide, just use a flipper

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from TinkerV2:

My question is if these mock flippers were put on to be a conservative/liberal adjustment for this rollover switch between them?

I would call that a "post" rather than a "passive bumper", so as to preserve the use of the word "bumper" for devices that have a switch and register contact with the ball.

That type of plastic post was one of several designs available off-the-shelf (more or less) from Foremost Plastics. Foremost also did an elongated diamond, a triangle, and of course the familiar circular post. The use as a lane guide is less common than just placing them on the sidewalls to avoid ball hang-ups. But the shape of that post was the inspiration for the shape of the flipper! The flipper bat is a different mold, because it needs to stay above the playfield, where the post is solidly in contact with the playfield.
.................David Marston

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for that Dave. The word post is a better description and less confusing than bumper. I'll chalk it up to a brain fart when I originally wrote my question. Makes sense to use something that was available. Like PBPete said, a cost saving idea. What do you think about it being used as conservative/liberal adjustment?

Jack

#7 1 year ago

Have a gottlieb "central park" that uses dead flippers as lane guides

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from TinkerV2:

What do you think about it being used as conservative/liberal adjustment?

Back then, operators felt empowered to move posts around quite a bit. So my answer would be yes in general, but not sure how much difference it would make in the situation shown.
.................David Marston

#9 1 year ago

To me it looks like the pins are only for aligning them w/rubbers installed as opposed to them being adjustable. The pins would also help them stay put if they started to loosen up since they'd mainly get hit on the outer sides. They also fit with the artwork around them when mounted against the pins. This is a weird setup, flipper bats which are just posts, and the actual flippers look like two posts with a rubber on them!

#10 1 year ago

The actual flippers ARE those two posts with a rubber ring. They pivot at the lowermost ends near the center of the playfield. So the left one moves cw while the right one moves ccw. There is a left and right flipper button like normal, BUT there is only one solenoid that actuates both flippers together. Both flipper buttons are in parallel so pushing either button does the same thing... actuate both flippers. The flipper coil doesn't have pick and hold coils like later machines. I haven't operated the machine yet but read somewhere that pushing a flipper button pulses the flippers once. You have to release the button and push it again for another flip. Haven't confirmed this action yet.

Jack

#11 1 year ago

Gottlieb's Universe has a dozen of those bumpers, plus four flippers that look the same.

GottliebUniversePlayfield (resized).jpgGottliebUniversePlayfield (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago

DCP, good thing they label the flippers...LOL

Jack

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

Gottlieb's Universe has a dozen of those bumpers, plus four flippers that look the same.
[quoted image]

Very nice playfield!

#14 1 year ago

And Universe is now added top my wishlist, thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
395 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kent, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/they-look-like-flipper-but-aren-t?hl=jonnyqtrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.