(Topic ID: 147528)

These Gottlieb legs have a brace on the back--was this common?

By ForceFlow

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mitch1985
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I recently picked up a Gottlieb Deady Weapon (System 3). The legs that came with it look like standard Gottlieb legs from the front. However, from the back, they have a brace welded to the leg. Does anyone know what the story behind this might be?

#2 3 years ago

Wouldn't be considered a deadly weapon if it wasn't reinforced, would it?

#3 3 years ago

its not a one off .. i see a few like that from europe. dont know why?

#4 3 years ago

I seem to recall that Gottlieb used those on Lights, Camera, Action due to the weight of the extra topper. I don't remember where I read that.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#5 3 years ago

Mine are like that on my black hole

#6 3 years ago

Interesting,never seen this before

#7 3 years ago

maybe they are widebody legs? black hole/ haunted house etc?

#8 3 years ago

Not on my HH

#9 3 years ago

We also have a few sets of these braced legs. One set came with a Genesis but had traces of pink paint inside. Probably came from a Bone Busters before. Another set came with a Lights Camera Action. Chris might be right. Bone Busters was released just before LCA.

Marco

#10 3 years ago

I would imagine that Steve Young at PBR could chime in as he is the Gottlieb Guru.

#11 3 years ago

Off topic but a story told by a former operator about Lights Camera Action as Chris mentioned about the weight of the additional topper......

There were some accidents with Lights Camera Action in the past. Some (lazy) operators didn't secure the backbox with the inner bolts, but just secured it with the outside latch at the back. Due to the weight of the topper the latch snapped after some rough games and the backbox came down......

/end off topic....

#12 3 years ago

My LCA has them also.

#13 3 years ago

My LAC also has them.

#14 3 years ago

Yeah I've seen many of these over the years. Those Gottlieb system three games are dang heavy because of the wood they used so there not that uncommon to see on those games.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#15 3 years ago

I've seen a few but never tied them to a specific game. I've got 2 Genies that came with standard legs..

#16 3 years ago

Mars god of war has similar but slightly different reinforcement.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mars god of war has similar but slightly different reinforcement.

I Always wondered about the length of the legs which came originally with Mars God of War..... Put him on 27" legs and he is too low. Put her on 31" legs and he is too high. Our MGoW is standing on Williams 28 1/2" legs....with these the height is the same as our Black Hole which rests on 27" legs.

#18 3 years ago

Thanks for chiming in guys.

It seems odd that these were on Deadly Weapon--the game didn't seem that heavy when I moved it--it was one of the easier games I've moved. Stargate and SFII seemed significantly heavier when I moved those.

#19 3 years ago

Deadly Weapon was one of those street level games that had the shorter playfield and cabinet....making it much lighter. I'm talking games like Cue Ball Wizard and like you said, Stargate and SFII.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#20 3 years ago

On a side note, what percent of pins do you think have their original legs on them still? None of mine do

#21 3 years ago

Mine all have the correct style for that era pin, including the bolts as well. Who knows if there the exact original ones or not though......

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

2 months later
#22 3 years ago

I also just picked up a deadly weapon. The guy said his dad owned it for a long time. It's in great shape and everthing looks original including coin box, manuals, score card etc. It came with the braced legs too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 249.00
$ 269.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 9.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
$ 269.00
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside