By Compy

1 year ago

Stats

• 298 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by merccat
  • Topic is favorited by 128 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
IMG_1227 (resized).JPG
IMG_1226 (resized).JPG
IMG_1225 (resized).JPG
IMG_1224 (resized).JPG
IMG_1221 (resized).JPG
IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
IMG_0655 (resized).JPG
image_uploaded_from_ios_1024 (resized).jpg
IMG_7957 (resized).JPG
IMG_0595 (resized).JPG
IMG_0596 (resized).JPG
IMG_0594 (resized).JPG

There are 298 posts in topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 5 months ago

That's awesome!

#252 5 months ago

Hey guys and girls!

Quick update from the road. We loaded up the game on Thursday afternoon for transport into Dallas. We arrived Friday afternoon and got the game set up for play. Had a minor issue with the RGB leds after unpacking the game, but we just had to adjust an operating system setting so the code would be happy.

The code on the game has all the modes that the original team worked on. It is only about 20% complete.

Many of you in this thread came up and introduced yourself which meant the world to me. I always love talking shop and sharing these developments with people just as (or even more) passionate about this hobby/industry as I am.

The Multimorphic team was nice enough to host our custom games and I'm very very thankful to Zitt, Gerry, Les, Brandon, TJ, BJ, Rory, Scott, Dave, Terry, Matt and everyone over there for their help and support.

On Saturday I was visited by Jim Schelberg and we discussed some of the historical aspects and significance of this game for a good while. He then gave me some awesome original Pinball 2000 memorabilia. I am very very thankful for the kindness and enthusiasm that Jim has about the project.

We noticed that due to the power draw and coil type, the flippers were having trouble making the ramps, so @borygard (well, Taro) hooked me up with some powerful coils to swap out on Saturday morning. The guy has a damn fine selection of parts, and is a true asset to our industry and community. However it's clear that Taro runs that operation.

On Saturday evening I got the chance to talk to @robin about Pinside from a business and technology standpoint as well as from a community standpoint. It's evident that his passion for the industry keeps this thing thriving. He's also got some badass features planned.

Anywho, as of Saturday afternoon the game had over 600 plays on it. I'll pull the audits when the game gets back. The game has no plastics on it, so there are a fair amount of ball hang ups. Those will soon be addressed.

Video will follow when I get home!

To everyone who came out and played the game, I thank you! We will most definitely be back!

-- Jimmy

#253 5 months ago

Alright, made it back in just a bit ago. Game should be back here by tomorrow.

Here's a short gameplay video I shot with my phone. There were a bunch of videos taken of the machine over the weekend, so hopefully people will post those here (good, bad or ugly).

» YouTube video

Note that we were testing new sounds for the pop bumpers at the show, those "jingly" ones won't be in the final game. Still a LOT of work to do, but more to come!

Thanks again to everyone who came out. We can't wait for next year's TPF. Kim and Ed are truly generous hosts.

#255 5 months ago

Looking forward to seeing this game progress for TPF'2018.

I know this was early alpha code; so but looking forward to seeing more of the PF when the ball goes up into the holographic areas like RFM does when the ball goes up into the pops.

#256 5 months ago

Holy crap, HD display/resolution looks super nice!!

#257 5 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

Holy crap, HD display/resolution looks super nice!!

Thanks man! Yeah the LCD and true 3D system that Unity offers really makes things smooth and crisp.

I'll be putting more GI on the ramps and around the back to make things brighter. I think the game will also really pop with some mirror blades in conjunction with the spinning flashers.

I hate dark p2k games, so that should help.

#258 5 months ago

Great game and Compy is such a nice guy. Got to play the game and talk with Compy at the Texas Pinball Festival. I took some video of the game play and shots of the play field. Can not wait to see the enhancement and progression of the game.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/news-texas-pinball-2017-festival-unveils-new-pinball-titles/

» YouTube video

#259 5 months ago

Thank you very much for sharing Wizard Blocks with us at TPF 2017!

It was my greatest thrill of the entire show!

I hope you can bring it next year with even more polish and code!

Marcus

#260 5 months ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Thank you very much for sharing Wizard Blocks with us at TPF 2017!
It was my greatest thrill of the entire show!
I hope you can bring it next year with even more polish and code!
Marcus

You're quite welcome! Thats exactly why I built it.

For those looking for another video of the game, as posted above, the very very kind folks at PinballSupernova took some video and talked shop for a good bit at TPF.

Here's a direct link to that footage: » YouTube video

More updates soon!

#261 5 months ago
Quoted from Compy:

Thanks man! Yeah the LCD and true 3D system that Unity offers really makes things smooth and crisp.

Thanks Compy, this thread inspired me to get started with Unity. What an awesome platform, I hope to someday have the time to work with it more.

#262 5 months ago
Quoted from merccat:

Thanks Compy, this thread inspired me to get started with Unity. What an awesome platform, I hope to someday have the time to work with it more.

No thanks required! I'm so glad you've started cracking at Unity. Its a great platform indeed. I hope to see you do something in pinball!

In other TPF news, just pulled the audits off the game. Over the 2.5 days it was there, there were 463 games played. Average ball time: 0:18

The game was pretty brutal, but I loved the response. Lots of things to tweak! I've got to install another spinning flasher, so I might live stream something related to that, or maybe some code updates this weekend. I'll post more here on that. Wife's out of town, so I need to fill the hours!

Post any questions/comments/ideas you feel like!

-- Jimmy

#263 5 months ago

Someday I will play this! It is so cool...thanks for the thread.

#264 5 months ago
Quoted from Compy:

so I might live stream something related to that

Where do you stream?

#265 5 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Where do you stream?

Generally Twitch. Will need to test the multi-stream rig though. I'd like to have a region for the monitor/code, and another vertical region for the game itself.

Event link: https://www.twitch.tv/events/2466

#266 5 months ago
Quoted from Compy:

Generally Twitch. Will need to test the multi-stream rig though. I'd like to have a region for the monitor/code, and another vertical region for the game itself.

I'll definitely be tuning in!

#267 5 months ago
Quoted from Compy:

I'm drooling over what you've done. Absolutely amazing work for a very special machine.
Also thank you so... much for sharing what you've done. Hopefully one day I'll be lucky enough to play it.
I'm also looking forward to your stream.
Thank you!!

#268 5 months ago

Hey hey,

The stream is now live and I'm going to be working on Wizard Blocks code... maybe getting that damn Jack in the box to move when you strike him... Also feel free to chat and suggest new ideas!

https://www.twitch.tv/86pixels

#269 5 months ago

Not super familiar with Twitch, will I be able to replay this later? On the road currently.

#270 5 months ago
Quoted from merccat:

Not super familiar with Twitch, will I be able to replay this later? On the road currently.

Hey man! Yeah I saw you tune in, I really appreciate it.

The stream will be archived for a month. There were a LOT of bumps with this first stream, but the next ones will get smoother! I have to see why the game cam kept freezing. Otherwise we'll get it rolling next time.

Thanks a ton for everything and all the support!

#271 5 months ago

Also, for those of you who are podcast junkies like myself (or on the road like @merccat), I did an interview with the wonderful cast at This Flippin' Podcast. They're awesome and it was just a fun time talking shop! We cover how this project started, game rules, the building of the game, and ultimately the reception at TPF. Tommy and Taylor are just passionate pinheads and they run a great podcast.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-44_102257
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/this-flippin-podcast/id1032169051?mt=2

The interview starts at about 1hr 36m in.

#272 5 months ago

Awesome thanks! I'll give it a listen in the morning as we make the final leg of our TZ road trip

#273 5 months ago

I think that it's amazing that this machine has been brought to reality! Props to those that put in the hard work. I hope that I'll be able to play it someday, but until then I'll enjoy the photos/videos.

#274 5 months ago

somehow missed this thread until hearing This Flippin Podcast's interview

great work on a very cool game, will be watching now

#275 5 months ago
Quoted from Compy:

Also, for those of you who are podcast junkies like myself (or on the road like merccat), I did an interview with the wonderful cast at This Flippin' Podcast. They're awesome and it was just a fun time talking shop! We cover how this project started, game rules, the building of the game, and ultimately the reception at TPF. Tommy and Taylor are just passionate pinheads and they run a great podcast.
http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-44_102257
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/this-flippin-podcast/id1032169051?mt=2
The interview starts at about 1hr 36m in.

Thanks for the callout Jimmy glad it helped

#276 5 months ago
Quoted from InsideOutlane:

I think that it's amazing that this machine has been brought to reality! Props to those that put in the hard work. I hope that I'll be able to play it someday, but until then I'll enjoy the photos/videos.

I will do my best to provide as much documentation as I can. This was really a cool game, and I think there's STILL more to be learned! Thank you so much for the excitement and support!

Quoted from swinks:

somehow missed this thread until hearing This Flippin Podcast's interview
great work on a very cool game, will be watching now

Yes, yes, how DARE you miss it? -- I think you followed the thread when I did the Demolition Man 2000 (which was the prep work for this) Glad you're here now, and thank you so much for the kudos!

Quoted from Ballypinball:

Thanks for the callout Jimmy glad it helped

Wayne, I couldn't NOT thank you. You've had so much exposure to the history at Williams pinball, and naturally you've gained a wealth of knowledge about the games and such. Indeed your information/input was a big help. I thank you for that!

For those of you who watched the failcast last week, I've got a brand new shiny HD camera, so now we'll be streaming in style when we do our game code live!

I'm thinking of firing things up tomorrow night around 7PM Central Time. I think we're going to put more polish on that skillshot rule that someone in the chat came up with, then maybe build in a random terror award mode (The terror is the little froggy looking guy in the game)

-- Jimmy

#277 5 months ago

The old WB has originally two skillshots:
1. JET ENTRY LANE:
("Super Skill 500,000" + Bonus Multiplier 5x)

2. TOP EJECT:
("Hideout 250,000")

Terror award is indeed a nice "stroke of luck" and a must have in the game.

Some ideas for the awards:
"500,000",
"1,000,000",
"2,000,000",
"3,000,000",
"Hold Bonus",
"Collect Bonus",
"Advance Bonus X",
"Light Extra Ball",
"Jets At Max",
"Light Million Shot",
"Light Quick Jackpot",
"1 Magic Missile",
"Light Kickback",
"Light Specials",
"Free A Wizard",
"Increase Loop Value",
"Special"

Maybe you can use your right scoop for some kind of mini games?
Something like "Kick the Terror", "Million Ramps", "GREED",...
And to change the minigame you could use for example your bumpers. After all games are done maybe than should be the super scoop mode activated...

That would be a nice diversification to normal gameplay.

2 months later
#278 3 months ago

Bump

#279 3 months ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Bump

Compy's still probably recovering from having to drag his machine up 3 flights of stairs after TPF.

#280 3 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Compy's still probably recovering from having to drag his machine up 3 flights of stairs after TPF.

Hahah, nah Brandon pretty much threw it on his shoulder and carried it up!

I've been super busy with other pinball things and contracts, so its been a little quiet on the WB side. However, I'm still trying to come up with a good set of artwork for plastics. There weren't any finished for this game to my knowledge. I am thinking that the artwork will just be extensions/segments of the playfield artwork, though I don't like the plastics on games like Millionaire where all they are are just extensions of the playfield artwork. So I might sample areas from around the playfield and create some sort of composition.

Software-wise: I've started talking to a 3D artist to get some things built for Wizard Blocks in terms of new Wizards, more custom blocks and general display effects. I'm porting over the lampshow parser (the same one used in Total Nuclear Annihilation) so that we can bring more complex effects into the system. The P-ROC has made that easy, though.

Hardware-wise: Working on solving the GI issue. The entire right side of the playfield doesn't have GI in the back. There were early versions of the game that had an array of spotlights mounted just above the upper right flipper that spread light around that section for about 90 degrees. This would be useful in potentially overpowering the monitor to make things appear/disappear, and also make things a bit brighter back there so you see what the hell is going on.

I played the game for about an hour and a half yesterday. Its really fun, but I can't wait to get more assets into the game.

If you've got any ideas, please feel free to share and we can all have a discussion! Who knows, your idea might make it into the game!

#281 3 months ago

Do you know who the artist was that drew the playfield? Maybe they might have some assets or thoughts about how the plastics could be drawn.

#282 3 months ago

I believe John Youssie. Correct me if I am wrong.

#283 3 months ago

The playfield plastics set was just one colour, so the die cut set was done but without art

#284 3 months ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Do you know who the artist was that drew the playfield? Maybe they might have some assets or thoughts about how the plastics could be drawn.

Quoted from Wizboy:

I believe John Youssie. Correct me if I am wrong.

You are indeed correct. John might have some ideas.

Quoted from Ballypinball:

The playfield plastics set was just one colour, so the die cut set was done but without art

Yeah, all I remember were the prototype red plastics. Thanks for the confirmation! I guess its up to me then

#285 3 months ago

I think you would be pretty safe, using the playfield art on most of them

3 months later
#286 1 day ago

ebay.com link » Factory Left Ramp Mold For Williams Pin2000 Wizard Blocks Prototype Pinball

This auction is for the original factory tool used to manufacture the left plastic ramp for the
Pin2000 Williams Wizard Blocks pinball prototypes.

This tool was used to thermoform the Wizard Blocks Plastic Ramp (part number 03-10029) for the Original Williams Prototype Wizard Blocks. The tool is made of RenShape material and was made in house by Williams.

#287 1 day ago

Unless James Loflin is selling on Ebay Germany, that is a phony auction.

#288 1 day ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

ebay.com link » Factory Left Ramp Mold For Williams Pin2000 Wizard Blocks Prototype Pinball

#289 1 day ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

The right one is up there too, for sale on an account with heavy pinball activity and 100% positive feedback. What makes you call it phony?

edit: never mind, I'm guessing you forgot about the whole global quality of the interwebs.

#290 1 day ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Quoted from emkay:

The right one is up there too, for sale on an account with heavy pinball activity and 100% positive feedback. What makes you call it phony? Didn't he bail years ago?

The link that was provided first was through the Netherlands ebay site, which presents ebay in Ducth. I think that's what caused the confusion.

#291 1 day ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The link that was provided first was through the Netherlands ebay site, which presents ebay in Ducth. I think that's what caused the confusion.

Yeah I had the same realization as soon as I posted. Mama always said think before you speak.

#292 1 day ago

I tried to post his e-bay 'Completed Items' list but it won't post. Lots of neat stuff there.

#294 1 day ago

.....and the influence for the DI LE ramps is discovered.

Cool to see these up for sale, though.

#295 18 hours ago

Pinballace is indeed James Loflin, and proceeds from this sale are going to the Python's Pinball Circus project. These are the real deal. The only molds produced are the ones in the picture, and the damage visible was because it was a prototype mold. The ramps shown are pulls from that mold as well.

Bid with confidence.

#296 11 hours ago

I want this. So friggen cool.

#297 11 hours ago

Looking forward to more updates and especially additional code and 3D animations. Is there a dragon anywhere?

#298 11 hours ago

Wow awesome pieces of pinball history there... especially for fans of P2K and what it could have been.

Yeah, there are definitely more than a few homages back to Wizard Blocks in Dialed In. It's awesome that the ideas did edventually make it into a game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 18.99
$ 199.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 224.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
KingPin Games
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 89.00
Apparel - Unisex
Double Danger Pinball
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 298 posts in topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.