Image uploaded from iOS (4) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.00.27 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.01.11 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 12.36.33 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 7 years ago

Alright! Back from the Houston Arcade Expo and decided to work a little bit on the game for a few hours. Tonight I was able to put together a prototype spinning flasher assembly, only on my little project they're all going to be RGB.

Here's a shot of that unit:
IMG_0582 (resized).JPGIMG_0582 (resized).JPG

and here it is in action:

Also, Playfield artwork should be applied soon. Two coats of primer have been put down so that the artwork colors really pop when its put down (since its a clear vinyl overlay). The masking over the inserts is in the middle of being removed in this picture.

IMG_0583 (resized).JPGIMG_0583 (resized).JPG

More updates to come!

(Note that this Wizard Blocks is a fan art project. No game assets are available for distribution or sale. Wizard Blocks is a registered trademark of Planetary Pinball Supply Inc.)

#152 7 years ago

One of the original spinner flasher prototypes for this game was on eBay last year. I think it finished around $80-120.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

One of the original spinner flasher prototypes for this game was on eBay last year. I think it finished around $80-120.

Indeed it did! The person who bought it had sent me pictures. They really aren't that complicated at their core, but the way that the game had driven the spinners is a bit complicated for today's technology. The original game had a gear box and a central cable drive to turn the spinners (like a speedometer in a car), but now since we have smaller gear motors and servos at affordable prices and they've been standardized, its a lot easier to make these.

I will have to change the spacing on the deflector though as I think it lets a little too much light out. Otherwise, the parts fit together perfectly (3D printing for the win).

#154 7 years ago

How are you doing your overlay, specifically, how are you getting it to stick to the playfield? I'm doing an EM project, and have had the cab/head done with vinyl decals. I prepped the surface with paint and then wiped it down with IPA. The edges are peeling in several spots. I don't want that to happen to the playfield and the clearcoat's job is not to fight edge curling.

So basically, where are you having your Mylar printed and can they cut out areas? Have you don't any tests on it?

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

How are you doing your overlay, specifically, how are you getting it to stick to the playfield? I'm doing an EM project, and have had the cab/head done with vinyl decals. I prepped the surface with paint and then wiped it down with IPA. The edges are peeling in several spots. I don't want that to happen to the playfield and the clearcoat's job is not to fight edge curling.
So basically, where are you having your Mylar printed and can they cut out areas? Have you don't any tests on it?

For the tests that I'm going to do, I ran two copies of the playfield artwork. One on clear vinyl (that doesn't print white), and one on white vinyl. I determined that the inserts wouldn't be bright enough with white backed vinyl, so I'm going with the clear. The issue with the clear is that the artwork will look faded if you put it on bare wood, so it needs a white primer. The primer will also help seal the wood for the application process.

To apply the art, me and a friend will use the wet method where we spray the top and bottom of the decal with soapy water so we can continuously reapply the decal until we get the registration right. Spraying the top of the decal prevents any scratching of the surface when using a squeegee to get the air bubbles out. I light the underside of the playfield for this process so that we can use the lit inserts as a guide.

Many vinyl shops have a vinyl cutter and can run the artwork through as a service if you have the cut lines drawn for them. If the artwork you're trying to apply is a standard Williams/Bally piece of art, maybe Rick has some overlays and you could ask him.

I have tested overlays for previous pinball projects and haven't had an issue so long as the application was done carefully.

What is peeling on your game, the base coat of paint? Did you remove the masking while the paint was still soft? Many times the paint will come right with it.

#156 7 years ago

I recreated all of the art in AutoCAD. The paint had been dry to a while, but I'm wondering if the satin finish hurt the situation. It's not the best pic, but the close up one is of one of the edges on the head a few days later. Pretty bummed about that. I have cleared the PF with a few layers, filled all cupped and shrunken inserts, and have it sanded to 600 grit. It's ready for an overlay. I actually printed two, one as a test so I could practice cutting holes and seeing if you could sand at all (nope, ink comes off even with 2500 grit) before applying clear. I'm clearing a Taxi right now as well, so I just stuck the test piece to a board, cleaned with naphtha, and cleared it last night. I expect to need another coat or two, but today I will see how it looks. It's a long story, but I can actually have the place that printed these do another one and now cut out all of the holes, but if the material can't be sanded and hold onto clearcoat, what's the point? Pretty nervous to check on it today.

IMG_3339 (resized).JPGIMG_3339 (resized).JPG
IMG_3383 (resized).JPGIMG_3383 (resized).JPG

#157 7 years ago

Is that primer a semi/high gloss primer/paint? I usually lightly sand mine before applying so that the adhesive has something to bite on to. The Wizard Blocks artwork is printed on 3M adhesive-backed vinyl. Was yours adhesive backed or did you have to apply a glue?

#158 7 years ago

Mine is an ORAJET Rapid Air. ORAFOL is the manufacturer. Looking on their web page, there are many different part numbers in that line. The picture I have of the label (the back side) doesn't have a part number to know exactly which one I have.

On their page, in the FAQ, they say glossy finish wiped down with IPA is what they suggest. I did exactly that and am not satisfied with what's happening.

Where are you having your stuff printed? I wouldn't be opposed to trying again, as much as I really don't want to. PM me if you'd prefer.

IMG_3387 (resized).JPGIMG_3387 (resized).JPG

#159 7 years ago

What an awesome project! I wish you all the best and hope that it turns out well. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure as I can't wait to see the final product.

#160 7 years ago

Hey guys and girls,

BIG update here! We finally got the playfield artwork applied and are putting the playfield back together. I might actually get to take this thing to a show someday! There are a few minor registration errors with the white mask in some places, but all in all, I'm very very happy with the quality. Once you really see the artwork on this game, it really just gives it a whole new vibe. Some of the insert labels will be changed, but I really can't wait to turn this playfield on and see how it looks lit up!

More to come!

Laying the artwork outLaying the artwork out

Close up after trimmingClose up after trimming

Aerial shot after trimmingAerial shot after trimming

#161 7 years ago

Wow, looking good

The artwork really makes it pop.

#162 7 years ago

Truly amazing! On the home stretch..... cant wait to see it all together!

#163 7 years ago

That looks awesome. Great job.

#165 7 years ago

God this would out sell mmr even in kit form

#166 7 years ago

hell yes it would. Depending on what the price was. If they pull some Batman 66 shit with it, the actual numbers would be much less.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

BIG update here!

Awesome!

#168 7 years ago

This is so awesome.

#169 7 years ago

Thank you all so much for the kind words! Hopefully will get this thing blinking tomorrow!

Quoted from desertT1:

Sweet! Cleatcoated?

Not just yet. This was printed on a high gloss surface, so thats where the shine is coming from, its also very thick.

#170 7 years ago

Hi Compy!

This is George from Germany.

I noticed your topic before a longer period of time. I´m allways interested about guys which were working on the wb project! As you know, i started my project in 2009, and this project had made some breaks. This year i made a lot of preparations, and in 2017 this project will be continued....... will be a part here in this forum. If you wanna talk with me, sent me a message.

Good luck for your project!

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Thank you all so much for the kind words! Hopefully will get this thing blinking tomorrow!

its also very thick.

That's what she said!

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from specialpinball:

Hi Compy!
I noticed your topic before a longer period of time. I´m allways interested about guys which were working on the wb project! As you know, i started my project in 2009, and this project had made some breaks. This year i made a lot of preparations, and in 2017 this project will be continued....... will be a part here in this forum. If you wanna talk with me, sent me a message.

George are u showing any of your work anymore?

#173 7 years ago

For those of you who don't know this was one of George's projects a few years back

IMG_7957 (resized).JPGIMG_7957 (resized).JPG

#174 7 years ago

PinGeorge is the ultimate Craftsman!!

#175 7 years ago

Hi Compy!

Thank you so much! Yeah, I really enjoyed reading about your endeavors, and the craftsmanship was unparalleled. I also admire the fact that you took your own approach and creativity with your game. I believe we may have exchanged emails a number of years ago.

I took a slightly different approach as I'm trying to keep things in line with the original vision as much as possible. Though I think that the widebody version would be wild to play! The widebody pin2k thing was fun when I did Demolition Man 2000.

Looking forward to seeing what you do! Glad to hear from you and have you back!

1 month later
3 weeks later
#177 7 years ago

Just noticed the message here. Yes, in a few days my WB project will be continued.....

#178 7 years ago

Just noticed the message here. Yes, in a few days my WB project will be continued.....

So happy to hear this! You're a beast in the woodworking and general carpentry space, and I can't wait to see what future progress holds for you and your games

Quoted from lllvjr:

Anything new?

So so sorry about the delay. Things have been busy behind the scenes. The prototype ramps have been fabricated and it was no easy task. The benefit is that these prototypes can also potentially serve as molds being that they're high grade stainless made by one of the best guys in the biz.

image_uploaded_from_ios_1024 (resized).jpgimage_uploaded_from_ios_1024 (resized).jpg

We'll be fitting these babies on the playfield really soon.

3 weeks later
#179 7 years ago

Anxiously awaiting an update

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Anxiously awaiting an update

Ask and ye shall receive!

It has been all but quiet the last month or so! The metal ramps came in two weeks ago. A HUGE thanks to Matt (of DOOM pinball and DeadPin fame!). This project wouldn't be possible without him.

Here's the things that happened this month:
1) Got the ramps mounted
2) Measured and sent the ramp entrance carriers to be waterjet cut
3) Got switches, lamps and optos wired in and tested
4) Got flasher motors and wall drive motors wired in and tested

Here's whats coming up
1) Finish wiring up the coils
2) Finish wiring up the GI
3) Mount in the ramp entrance and lift drive assemblies
4) Put playfield back in cab and get alpha code running for TPF.

As stated in the video, the game will be in the Multimorphic booth at the Texas Pinball Festival in March. If you're going to be there this year, come by and play it and say hello!

Let me know if you have any questions or would like any other information!

#183 7 years ago

Sweet.

#184 7 years ago

Wow that's looking awesome! Now I'm going to see if I can make it out to Texas somehow.

#185 7 years ago

When tin snips just aren't enough to get a good cut on ramp mechs...

#186 7 years ago

What type of metal (alloy/gauge) are the ramps made from?

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What type of metal (alloy/gauge) are the ramps made from?

18GA 304 Stainless Steel. Put a nice grain on it and they look slick. These guys are top notch, so I'm confident that they'll come out looking great. Should be in tomorrow.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

When tin snips just aren't enough to get a good cut on ramp mechs...
» YouTube video

We have an OMAX at work. It's a lot of fun to watch it work. No G-jobs though.

#189 7 years ago

In for updates

#190 7 years ago

in for updates

#191 7 years ago

IMG_0655 (resized).JPGIMG_0655 (resized).JPG

Nothing like fresh ramp smell. Time to get these bent and put on the game!

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Nothing like fresh ramp smell. Time to get these bent and put on the game!

How did you get those cut?

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How did you get those cut?

These were cut by a waterjet (I posted a short video a few posts up of the machine doing its thing).

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

These were cut by a waterjet (I posted a short video a few posts up of the machine doing its thing).

Oh! Darn I didn't view that video on my phone... I'm starting to design some ramps myself so it's nice to see how someone else is doing it...

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Oh! Darn I didn't view that video on my phone... I'm starting to design some ramps myself so it's nice to see how someone else is doing it...

Ah! Awesome. Well, ramps are one of the biggest pains due to the 3D aspect of them. I had a very talented metal worker do mine according to a set of 2D drawings, and I give him a LOT of credit there. If you can break the ramp parts up into a series of 2D pieces, you can also send them out to be cut on a waterjet or a plasma. If you're making ramp molds for thermoforming, that just takes a bit of extra time and post-processing to cut the ramp itself out of the stock. This might actually be more attainable now with a DIY thermoforming rig. Freeplay40 can give you insights here, he's a friggen genius at this stuff.

If I had to do it over again:
1) Cut the ramp entrances as a series of 2D metal parts on a plasma or waterjet
2) Mate those together using a tongue/slot approach where the side walls fit to the base of the ramp like legos, or bend and spot weld tabs.
3) Use the cutting and bending approach outlined by bonnevil69 at http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=417.0 (or find someone with a CNC wire bender) for the return.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

1) Cut the ramp entrances as a series of 2D metal parts on a plasma or waterjet
2) Mate those together using a tongue/slot approach where the side walls fit to the base of the ramp like legos, or bend and spot weld tabs.

Thanks! I'm hoping to just have metal ramps, have just started attempting to draw them up in solidworks... It'd be great if I had access to a waterjet, not sure if I'll be able to find one though. Would also be great if I had a talented metal worker friend Lots to be figured out

#197 7 years ago

Wow. If Rick would buy this design and produce this game he would sell a shit ton. I have no idea how good od a game it actually is but the hype alone would sell it. Everyone has hyped this game for years making it out to be the greatest pinball machine ever made or not made. To me it would have to be far better than RFM to get me to want it as RFM was dark and very repetitive.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Wow. If Rick would buy this design and produce this game he would sell a shit ton. I have no idea how good od a game it actually is but the hype alone would sell it. Everyone has hyped this game for years making it out to be the greatest pinball machine ever made or not made. To me it would have to be far better than RFM to get me to want it as RFM was dark and very repetitive.

Absolutely, and Rick is the go-to guy for this game since its his license.

I wouldn't say this is the greatest game ever (remember what happened with BBB). However, it would've been the best Pinball 2000 game of the lineup. It really focuses more on shots than the video, so its very "pinbally". Really the video was used for the breakout portion where the blocks are stacked and a few other places to just indicate where or what you were supposed to shoot. By comparison, the video portion of Wizard Blocks was very limited and , in my opinion, less is more.

We'll see how it turns out, though!

#199 7 years ago

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but has Pat Lawlor seen or made any comments on this project? I'd be curious to know that since the original's development was halted during the prototyping stages, just how much documentation was left (or how much there was to begin with) in order to piece things back together.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but has Pat Lawlor seen or made any comments on this project? I'd be curious to know that since the original's development was halted during the prototyping stages, just how much documentation was left (or how much there was to begin with) in order to piece things back together.

Pat has been unresponsive (understandable as he's committed to doing his own stuff, and thats certainly his right). However, other members of the design team and former Williams employees in various departments have been insanely helpful and reached out. I've also been privileged enough to have a look at some of the old documentation revolving around this game. This project just wouldn't be possible without the openness and willingness of those others to help as well as the willingness to preserve many of these types of artifacts.

With that said, all of the modes that will be in the game will be implemented to the specifications of the designers at the point that WMS closed. Many of these different wizards and modes haven't been seen by anyone else but those who own the game.

Every step in this project has been an interesting one. With many of these steps, this game was actually a precedent to the existing whitewoods. Here's a few examples:
1) Many of the mechanisms on the game were prototypes, so the drawings weren't even completed, so they had to be completed by hand (often times fabricated from existing parts).
2) The artwork applied to this particular playfield is the only Wizard Blocks built to the original spec in existence with full playfield artwork (not counting George's custom widebody)
3) The software system that runs the game is leaps and bounds more powerful than what they had to work with back in the day, so I'm okay with diverging a bit from original plans for this particular part
4) This is the first game ever with rotating RGB flasher beacons, all of this had to be designed and built from scratch
5) The translite printed for the game will be the originally designed and hand drawn translite that I'm positive very few people have seen (though its very minimalistic)

Now in many ways, let me reiterate, I stand on the shoulders of giants. These original designers were awesome at what they did, and I'm glad they gave me a project worth pursuing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theres-one-more-wizard-blocks/page/4?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.