Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CC70E72F-230E-4107-8688-3A00FF3B1DBC (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

This is really cool for any car guys out there.

For those that don’t know, The Cannonball Run is an illegal race from New York City to Los Angeles. There was a comedy made in 1981 that showed a handful of people racing across country. Well it’s not actually like that for a REAL Cannonball Run attempt. Usually it takes months of planning, a well maintained car and a team of drivers in multiple cars. The extra cars are with you so that they can lure cops out of your path, or to sacrifice their car with a ticket so that the real competitor can fly by the busy cop.

CC70E72F-230E-4107-8688-3A00FF3B1DBC (resized).jpegCC70E72F-230E-4107-8688-3A00FF3B1DBC (resized).jpeg

Well this most recent record was just set during lockdown when there was very few cops out and even less traffic on the roads. From NYC to LA in under 26hrs average speed 110mph from coast to coast.

But I’ll let the video tell the story.

#2 3 years ago

The guys who recently did it in a Porsche must be spewing .
    I haven't watched the video yet , I wonder how many petrol/gas stops they made .

#3 3 years ago

Classic movie. I know someone did a Smoky and the Bandit home brew pin. This would be another great theme.... Sammy and Dean would approve

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from BazilBLast:

The guys who recently did it in a Porsche must be spewing .
    I haven't watched the video yet , I wonder how many petrol/gas stops they made .

These guys did the run years ago and installed a huge gas tank in the trunk of that car. They moved the tank into this car to make the run.

The last run also had a video of the trip. Their problem the last time was with the gas tank. If you use your credit card to fill up, then drive over a thousand miles way to fast. When you fill up at the second station your credit card company will flag the transaction. So during their last run they had wasted minutes dealing with the card company on the phone.

#5 3 years ago

From Wikipedia

In May 2020, Arne Toman, Doug Tabbutt, and Dunadel Daryoush set the new cannonball record of 25 hrs and 39 mins during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic in a modified 2016 Audi S6 disguised to look like a Ford Taurus police interceptor. Police-evasion modifications included brake light kill-switches, radar detectors, laser diffusers, CB-radio, and a roof-mounted thermal camera. Performance modifications included a trunk-mounted 67-gallon auxiliary fuel cell sourced from the car used in Toman and Tabbutt's 2019 cannonball run, modified turbochargers, an upgraded heat-exchanger, and custom ECU tuning that allowed for engine-mapping to be changed on-demand to suit either 91 or 93-octane fuel; allowing the car to generate an estimated 600 horsepower. The run achieved an overall average speed of 110 mph for the entire run, with average speeds upwards of 125 mph across some states, and a maximum speed under 175 mph.[8][2]

#6 3 years ago

People announcing this like its a big deal is part of why these idiots do it. The people deserve to lose their licenses for life, not be celebrated.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

People announcing this like its a big deal is part of why these idiots do it. The people deserve to lose their licenses for life, not be celebrated.

I disagree. I believe the cannonball run is Just as important to American car culture as Ford And nascar.

There’s a lot of things in history that skirt the law.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I would feel safer on the road with organised , High Performance Drivers in a car that can handle it , than half the shmucks on the road now .

#9 3 years ago

My record is watching it 4 times in a row and maybe pausing on the scenes with Farrah for ten minutes or so.....I was younger then.

#10 3 years ago

So, as a little kid I remember 2 movies in the same vein: The Cannonball Run & The Gumball Rally. Both were entertaining, but I've not seen either for years (decades probably). In the 90's I actually did a ton of IT work for one of the actors in The Gumball Rally over the course of a few years - Walter Smith. He played the policeman and had a few lines, mostly cursing if I recall (which fit him well) - he was quite gifted at it.

I need to revisit both movies to see how they hold up.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

The Cannonball Run & The Gumball Rally

I have the cannonball run on DVD, but totally forgot about the gumball Rally. I’ll have to find that one too

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I have the cannonball run on DVD, but totally forgot about the gumball Rally. I’ll have to find that one too

The only thing I remember about the movie is that my favorite car at the time (Chevy Corvette), wrecked and split in half just after a minute or two into the race.

#14 3 years ago

The Cannonball Run

It’s interesting that the gumball trailer says it’s a 35 hour race.
    The Gumball Rally

#15 3 years ago

I just watched this movie recently with my parents, I had no idea it was real.

#16 3 years ago

Here’s a 10 min video on the history of the run.

#17 3 years ago

All I can say is part of the thrill of doing a Cannonball run is skirting the law so I get that. But I also feel it is extremely unsafe and poses a danger to drivers on the road. The reality is we know if it was a closed route we can make an educated guess at the best times possible. And I also think people documenting and posting should be prosecuted to the extent of the law. They are basically admitting guilt to an illegal act. It’s no different than someone committing a murder and not getting caught Then exposing themselves to committing the crime. Yes I know the offense is not apples to apples but it’s the fact you broke a law and admitted to it. But this not like jay walking. An accident by one of these guys most likely is going to kill or seriously injure someone so a little different than a very minor infraction. People have bragged of robbery/firing random shots and posted on FB and then convicted. This shouldn’t be any different.

#18 3 years ago

Impressive run but the guys admitted this one didn’t feel the same as their last. Less law enforcement and traffic on the roads right now.

#19 3 years ago

The extra cars are with you so that they can lure cops out of your path, or to sacrifice their car with a ticket so that the real competitor can fly by the busy cop.

Did they use a mustachioed man in firebird blaring South bound and Down in the radio to lure the cops?

#20 3 years ago

I disagree. I believe the cannonball run is Just as important to American car culture as Ford And nascar.
    There’s a lot of things in history that skirt the law.

So your thought process is, its important because, reasons. Its ok to put the general public at risk giving idiots a pass going 175 mph across the country, because Murica? Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top now does it?

Quoted from BazilBLast:

I would feel safer on the road with organised , High Performance Drivers in a car that can handle it , than half the shmucks on the road now .

Except there is nothing to do say that these guys are high performance drivers. There are multiple cannonball run style events that get organized and really the requirement is, do you have enough money.

So, all those schmucks you have a problem with on the road? Now imagine a number of them in high horsepower cars with the aim of being the fastest to traverse a continent. Now expect them to go without proper sleep for over a day while doing 175+.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

So your thought process is, its important because, reasons. Its ok to put the general public at risk giving idiots a pass going 175 mph across the country, because Murica? Your elevator doesn't go all the way to the top now does it?

Top speed was kept under 175.

I drove during the lockdown and the highways in the city were pretty deserted. News articles had truckers commenting of driving many rural miles without seeing any other vehicles. I would expect these 175 speeds were maintained on long, empty stretches of road where the only risks were to the drivers themselves and local wildlife. They'd slow down to pass cars because humans can be as unpredictable as the wildlife...

#22 3 years ago

I'm mostly in favor of people risking their own life for entertainment if they want to and mostly not in favor of people risking the lives of others.

#23 3 years ago

A few years ago I purchased a double feature from Amazon. It has The Gumball Rally and Cannonball Run II.

2 weeks later
    #24 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Top speed was kept under 175.
    I drove during the lockdown and the highways in the city were pretty deserted. News articles had truckers commenting of driving many rural miles without seeing any other vehicles. I would expect these 175 speeds were maintained on long, empty stretches of road where the only risks were to the drivers themselves and local wildlife. They'd slow down to pass cars because humans can be as unpredictable as the wildlife...

175 on unprepared roads. Brilliant.

Assuming your competitors are so thoughtful, also brilliant.

Wanna come up with anymore justifications for recklessly doing whatever you damn well please?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

175 on unprepared roads. Brilliant.
    Assuming your competitors are so thoughtful, also brilliant.
    Wanna come up with anymore justifications for recklessly doing whatever you damn well please?

I'm not saying that its not dangerous to others, but the only thing I can compare to is when I visited Wyoming a few years ago. I flew into Casper since it was cheaper and drove across the state to Cody. Don't know my average speed, but I was over 100 much of the drive. I slowed down for the occasional town or two and anytime I had to pass a car of course, but on the open road I could literally count on both hands the number of cars I saw during the drive (I don't remember the day of the week, but it was mid-day). When you're out there in huge open expanses all alone, you don't even feel like your going that fast.

#26 3 years ago

Man, I do 18 hour drives, by myself several times a year to get a machine. I knowhow empty America can be.

Driving in the muddlenof nowhere trying to get from point a to b is one thing. Driving across country trying to beat everyone else and chase a record is another.

There is a massivd difference between hitting the speed limiter on your car which might be what 120 or less on most vehicles now and doing 175 or more.

These are people who aren't good enough to be in a race car professionally. They do not have a team of professionals monitoring their car. They are not racing on prepared surfaces. They do not know the track so to speak. They have no idea if the road ahead is damaged, if there is a wreck ahead. If someone pulled off with car trouble or is sleeping.

If the weather turns to shit how many stop? How many push through at a reduced speed yet still faster than you or I would.

No amount of bullshit justification makes this ok. Semi drivers commenting on how well you drive? What do they know about maintaining a high hp cars for over 24 hours?

Frankly idiots engaging in this deserve jail time and to permanently lose their license. You want to race, find a track. You want to go fast on public roads go to Germany.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theres-a-new-cannonball-run-record- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.