(Topic ID: 218843)

There should be a rap pin.

By Luckydogg420

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should there be a rap pin made?”

• Yes, I’d buy one right away 72 votes
      20%
    • Yes, I’d buy one used eventually 32 votes
      9%
    • Yes, even though I don’t like rap 20 votes
      6%
    • Sure, but only after a couple more rock pins 1 vote
    • It’s time for a country music pin, you can have rap later 8 votes
      2%
    • It’s time for an electronic dance music pin, you can have rap later 23 votes
      6%
    • No, only make more rock pins, I won’t buy this 31 votes
      9%
    • No, rap is just a fad, don’t waste your time 11 votes
      3%
    • No, I hate rap music and everything about it 161 votes
      45%

(Multiple choice - 359 votes by 340 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180621-173656 (resized).png
    me-listening-to-songs-about-selling-drugs-and-killing-people-on-my-way-to-a-regular-9-5-job-adul-1HkkD (resized).jpg
    2821056_Still (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    aggretsuko (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180616-160520 (resized).png
    a1-2 (resized).jpg
    rs_rundmc_lead-bc248ede-688a-4ccf-a506-46e4fc86b1f9 (resized).png
    mr_-yuk (resized).jpg
    2c8mty (resized).jpg
    San_andreas_4 (resized).jpg
    22-watch-chappie-2 (resized).jpg
    indsssex (resized).jpg
    MJ1A8725 (resized).jpg
    079924702fc8a36ea016db8f55a296ba.gif
    vanilla-ice-project-e1497968174595 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 5 years ago

What would be hella Sweet is that you either select your decade/era of rap for the whole game, or partial game (mode style). You could have one era of rap for the whole game, select eras via modes, or work your way through different eras through game play (randomized so the game isn’t linear).

I like plenty of rap through the years. Lots actually, but I’d never describe myself as a fan of rap music. Indeed, I probably dislike most of it, but that’s beside the point. I think a rap pin could be really “dope” and would be a great thing for testing the waters of a new demographic. Marketing wise, it’s probably a no brainer, in spite of the “old white guy” syndrome.

Stern should take a chance on a limited release. But they probably won’t, because that would be risky and expensive (cough WWE cough).

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Damn right. best decade for music and film and fashion. You know its true.

The best and the worst IMO. I was 16 in ‘80 and 25 in ‘89, and it was a hell of a ride. The early 80’s were awesome, and original and exciting. The mid to late 80’s was shallow, formulaic, vacuous, tacky, materialistic and drowning in conspicuous consumption.

#173 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

IMO modern pinball is now in the most un-cool era in it's entire history. Even as somebody that is "supposedly" in the demographic range these newer retro licensed old rock star and movie games are aimed at, I find nothing cool about them at all.
    I find it rather unfortunate that this is what it has taken to keep pinball alive. When and if pinball decides to ever become "cool" again, I might be interested in supporting it.
    Cool-

Uncool-

It’s because EVERYTHING in our society is now is 100% about the $. And marketing, and demographics, and data. Every nuance of our lives is tracked, captured and for sale.

Entertainment, for which we all love and strongly associate with the culture of our era, is no longer art, it’s product. I’m speaking mostly about the mainstream, but these days, in all walks of life, it’s all about the Benjamins. Many things are downright shittier than they were in decades past, because everything gets down to the bottom line.

In the old days, at least people played lip service to art, and culture, and counterculture and being unconventional. Doing things for Love and passion. Not much any more.

1 week later
    #392 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Why is that do you think? I mean, that's a pretty strong reaction to the idea. Like, I could give a fuck less about Elvis or Kiss, and I've still played their pins. Not having them exist wouldn't be my priority if I was blessed with some 1000 year lifespan.
    Is the idea of something you don't care for being enjoyed by others that distasteful? Are you just really racist? Did a rapper run off with your wife?
    I'm always amused when this topic comes up how strong people's feelings are for things they won't buy even existing. Few themes seem to engender this kind of outrage.
    I really do just think it's because a lot of people on this site are racist by the way, which is why you get these suggestions for Beastie Boys, Eminem, and Kid Rock instead (there's a thing tying them together, exercise for the reader to figure out). But if it's the wife thing it sounds like a hell of story, so do share.

Surely you mean Elvis Costello? How can anyone not like (at least) one era of ELVIS? Smh.

#394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Going to attempt to get this back on topic if anyone cares to try with me.
    I was curious so I tried to do a little research into what the best selling death metal band was (a genre I also enjoy btw). This was the best I could come up with:
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-highest-selling-death-metal-bands
    Number one was Cannibal Corpse, at 558,929
    That's actually crazy to me, I would have thought they were a little too hardcore to be #1, but shock value and a guest appearance in Ace Ventura maybe did the trick. I think we can all agree Cannibal Corpse is an unlikely choice for a pin. Doubt any company wants to do a game for a band that has songs like "Entrails Ripped From A Virgin's C**t"
    Okay, so too extreme, but there's a sales benchmark, just as a general gauge of popularity.
    Let's slide back down the scale a little, and look at Slayer (another good band). There was a rumor that there would be a Slayer pin that didn't pan out. There is actually a digital Slayer pin, you can buy it for your phone. So not that crazy, just slightly fringe maybe.
    According to Wikipedia Slayer sold 4,900,000 albums in the United States from 1991 to 2013. So not entirely up to date info, but we can see they're quite a bit more popular than Cannibal Corpse. They had some early jokey Satan lyrics, but mostly talk about things like war and violence. Edge case, maybe not huge huge sales, but I think you could probably pull it off.
    To put this in perspective though, Outkast has the best selling rap album of all time, at 11.4 million units. One album more than doubled Slayer's sales for everything.
    I'm not saying sales = quality, but Outkast was a great group, not pop garbage. Well produced, thoughtful, and also very popular. Which gets to the point, rap is huge. A fuckton of people listen to it. People who are real music fans, dedicated fans, the kind of people you sell games to. Like Metallica, like Iron Maiden.
    I don't care about Iron Maiden, plenty of people on Pinside don't care for them, and have said so. Game is still great, and people who don't even like the music much are buying it. And maybe it expands pinball some if a fan who wasn't a player gets one.
    You might not like techno and electronic music, but you might like Tron and TNA. Hard hitting beats make good pinball music. It's just not a crazy or fringe idea to think that rap beats wouldn't also work. If rap fans couldn't also expand the reach of pinball.

Hard hitting beats. Try Power by Kanye West. That song is a hard hitting, heart pounding, great sounding, incisive, truth telling, work of art and genius, and easily as good as any song on any pin ever. And I think Kanye is a very odd bird and an ass. But the dude has talent. Maybe not according to Neo. I wouldn’t want a Kanye pin, but Power can be on any pin anytime IMO.

This thread is hilarious. The irony, so much tone deaf-ness.

And the poll sucks. Very poorly written. 10 choices and not one that reflects my viewpoint. And I’m not that special. I’m sure many people look at those choices and think, ok, this wasn’t gauged to get any real pulse here.

#395 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m just amazed that with 9 poll choices that included everything from yes, even thought I don’t like rap; to, sure, after more other music pins; to, no, I hate everything about it; that the majority of votes could be so polarizing. I thought that the pinball (pinside) community would be more open minded and accepting of new demographics.
    I just don’t understand why you (a rock fan) wouldn’t want another person to be able to enjoy their favorite music in a pin, the same way you do. I enjoy a very wide verity of music, and would love a diverse pinball collection to match.

How about: “if it’s a well designed, fun pin, I’ll probably like it and want to have it someday.” .?

That’s my answer regardless of theme. Example: Iron Maiden (and at least a dozen others).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheFamilyArcade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/there-should-be-a-rap-pin-?tu=TheFamilyArcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.